Options

NeoGAF Rumour: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p

Comments

• Options
    ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    If that is the case fair enough. But I thought it was assumed it was 1080p? It seemed like anytime anyone was comparing resolutions of games people always said 1080p for PS4 and 720p for X1.

famousmortimer said he'd heard it was 1080 but didn't know if it was upscaled or native. That's where the 1080 story started for the ps4 version.

Until the cod 720/1080 stuff started most people on gaf were expecting 720/900 or 900/1080 for the multiplat games as that fits the power difference between the 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that is the case fair enough. But I thought it was assumed it was 1080p? It seemed like anytime anyone was comparing resolutions of games people always said 1080p for PS4 and 720p for X1.
    I don't think so, that's way too much of a gap - and is why the COD news is so very surprising.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    The difference is RYSE is an exclusive game designed to make the most of the console and they can only hit 900p

They could hit 1080p easily it they wanted to, but it would equal less detail and effects like Killzone Shadow Fall.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No to me it's double standards.

Reduction in resolution on the X1 = massive shi* storm
    Reduction in resolution on the PS4 = non-story

When Ryse turned out to be 900p instead of 1080p every news site seemed to pick up on it and forums turned into battlegrounds.

So how is this any different?

The Xbox 1 is just the machine that is cool the hate on at the moment. The double standard you describe are the same standard used during the early years of PS3/360 except it was the PS3 it was cool to hate on back then.
    Yep that about sums up your petty contribution to these threads. I would love you to find me quotes of these things since you have a habit of fabricating things I've said in the past and you appear to of misread just about everything I've said on the topic.

I cant be bother to find a quote but I debated the resolution thing with you in the CBOAT thread. You said the differences between 900p and 1080p on xbox 1 was minimal and in no way comparable to the differences on PS3 between 640p and 720p.

As I said then, a lower resolution is either an issue to someone or its not, whether a lower resolution is an issue or not does not change because the problem has moved to a different machine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    The Xbox 1 is just the machine that is cool the hate on at the moment. The double standard you describe are the same standard used during the early years of PS3/360 except it was the PS3 it was cool to hate on back then.

It was never as bad as it is now, don't pretend that it was. Even journalists are at their wits end over the bickering and fanboy gloating. What was all that about the twitter feeds with Sessler yesterday?? and everyone (somehow..) automatically assumed it was terrible news for Microsoft and X1, how they'd been paid to keep quiet etc. The champagne corks and party poppers at the ready but when it transpired it was about the PS4 everyone was like "oh grow up Sessler". LOL The double standards are hilarious.

I cant be bother to find a quote but I debated the resolution thing with you in the CBOAT thread. You said the differences between 900p and 1080p on xbox 1 was minimal and in no way comparable to the differences on PS3 between 640p and 720p.

As I said then, a lower resolution is either an issue to someone or its not, whether a lower resolution is an issue or not does not change because the problem has moved to a different machine.

That's correct. If you recall I said higher resolution is always preferable and the closer it is to the native display of the panel the less it matters. You remember that? I was directly comparing 900p to 640p and there's a big difference between them (hint: one is sub-HD the other is sub-Full HD), not to mention the scaler tech is far superior inside X1.

You got caught up on this "it either matters or it doesn't" thing and I wasn't sure what you meant then and I still don't now.
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sooner these consoles come out and we can actually play and discuss the games the better I say! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was never as bad as it is now, don't pretend that it was. Even journalists are at their wits end over the bickering and fanboy gloating.

It was just as bad, the PS3 and Sony spent a number of months 'about to do a Sega' and people were guaranteeing BluRay was going to fail. People picked up every bad news story going while stories like HDDVD failing were brushed over in the same way stories like PS Plus been required to play online have been brushed over now. Comparison videos often captured videos on PS3 with the RGB full range set to limited.

I think how bad it feels is largely down to which side your sitting on. I am not a huge fan of what MS have shown of Xbox 1 so in no way feel under attack from these comments. But I did really like my PS3 so often felt under attack back in the early days when you could enter a forum without a PS3 thread been derailed with negative comments and FUD. So to me the attacks on PS3 felt worse from my perspective.

My point about the resolution is that if your the type of person who feels a lower resolution is bad you will feel that no matter what system it is on. Whether it be a PS3 game, a PS4 game or an Xbox 1 game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's correct. If you recall I said higher resolution is always preferable and the closer it is to the native display of the panel the less it matters. You remember that? I was directly comparing 900p to 640p and there's a big difference between them (hint: one is sub-HD the other is sub-Full HD), not to mention the scaler tech is far superior inside X1.

You got caught up on this "it either matters or it doesn't" thing and I wasn't sure what you meant then and I still don't now.
    It looks like you were comparing 900p vs. 1080p and 600p vs. 720p.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69233056&postcount=25

The difference between 900p and 1080p is actually identical to the difference between 600p and 720p.

Both are a 44% increase in pixel count.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just as bad, the PS3 and Sony spent a number of months 'about to do a Sega' and people were guaranteeing BluRay was going to fail. People picked up every bad news story going while stories like HDDVD failing were brushed over in the same way stories like PS Plus been required to play online have been brushed over now. Comparison videos often captured videos on PS3 with the RGB full range set to limited.

I think how bad it feels is largely down to which side your sitting on. I am not a huge fan of what MS have shown of Xbox 1 so in no way feel under attack from these comments. But I did really like my PS3 so often felt under attack back in the early days when you could enter a forum without a PS3 thread been derailed with negative comments and FUD. So to me the attacks on PS3 felt worse from my perspective.

My point about the resolution is that if your the type of person who feels a lower resolution is bad you will feel that no matter what system it is on. Whether it be a PS3 game, a PS4 game or an Xbox 1 game.
    I think it mostly went like this until it dropped in price.
    $$$$$                                                              
           $:::$                                                              
       $$$$$:::$$$$$$ 555555555555555555     999999999          999999999     
     $$::::::::::::::$5::::::::::::::::5   99:::::::::99      99:::::::::99   
    $:::::$$$$$$$::::$5::::::::::::::::5 99:::::::::::::99  99:::::::::::::99 
    $::::$       $$$$$5:::::5555555555559::::::99999::::::99::::::99999::::::9
    $::::$            5:::::5           9:::::9     9:::::99:::::9     9:::::9
    $:::::$$$$$$$$$   5:::::5555555555   9:::::99999::::::9 9:::::99999::::::9
     $$::::::::::::$$ 5:::::::::::::::5   99::::::::::::::9  99::::::::::::::9
       $$$$$$$$$:::::$555555555555:::::5    99999::::::::9     99999::::::::9 
                $::::$            5:::::5        9::::::9           9::::::9  
                $::::$            5:::::5       9::::::9           9::::::9   
    $$$$$       $::::$5555555     5:::::5      9::::::9           9::::::9    
    $::::$$$$$$$:::::$5::::::55555::::::5     9::::::9           9::::::9     
    $::::::::::::::$$  55:::::::::::::55     9::::::9           9::::::9      
     $$$$$$:::$$$$$      55:::::::::55      9::::::9           9::::::9       
          $:::$            555555555       99999999           99999999        
          $$$$$                                                               

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    I think it mostly went like this until it dropped in price.
    $$$$$                                                              
           $:::$                                                              
       $$$$$:::$$$$$$ 555555555555555555     999999999          999999999     
     $$::::::::::::::$5::::::::::::::::5   99:::::::::99      99:::::::::99   
    $:::::$$$$$$$::::$5::::::::::::::::5 99:::::::::::::99  99:::::::::::::99 
    $::::$       $$$$$5:::::5555555555559::::::99999::::::99::::::99999::::::9
    $:::::$$$$$$$$$   5:::::5555555555   9:::::99999::::::9 9:::::99999::::::9
     $$::::::::::::$$ 5:::::::::::::::5   99::::::::::::::9  99::::::::::::::9
       $$$$$$$$$:::::$555555555555:::::5    99999::::::::9     99999::::::::9 
                $::::$            5:::::5        9::::::9           9::::::9  
                $::::$            5:::::5       9::::::9           9::::::9   
    $$$$$       $::::$5555555     5:::::5      9::::::9           9::::::9    
    $::::$$$$$$$:::::$5::::::55555::::::5     9::::::9           9::::::9     
    $::::::::::::::$$  55:::::::::::::55     9::::::9           9::::::9      
     $$$$$$:::$$$$$      55:::::::::55      9::::::9           9::::::9       
          $:::$            555555555       99999999           99999999        
          $$$$$                                                               

How could I forget about the price complaints :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    It was never as bad as it is now, don't pretend that it was. Even journalists are at their wits end over the bickering and fanboy gloating. What was all that about the twitter feeds with Sessler yesterday?? and everyone (somehow..) automatically assumed it was terrible news for Microsoft and X1, how they'd been paid to keep quiet etc. The champagne corks and party poppers at the ready but when it transpired it was about the PS4 everyone was like "oh grow up Sessler". LOL The double standards are hilarious.

but but but res don't matter cos the scaler tech in XB1 is far superior, but but but don't go by game store lock ins cos albert said xbox stuff is old build and will be loads better - what's with the full on defence force? how do you know how good the scaler is compared to other scalers? and how do you know the builds at the game lock ins for the play stations weren't from a couple of revisions back?

next you'll be banging on about 'balance' or the cloud, desperate for something to cling onto to justify your purchase
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This all aside I remember when us with ps3s wanted xgc and it was said that ms had it patented. Now I know it was simply the ps3 couldn't Cope with it but how come ps4 has got it and even calling it party chat. What happened about the patents ?
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does anyone need to justify their purchase?
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Why does anyone need to justify their purchase?

Because if you buy an Xbox you need to justify why you are an idiot and want to play 720p games:p:D
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because if you buy an Xbox you need to justify why you are an idiot and want to play 720p games:p:D

Oh that makes sense :p
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol
    You're all Guinea pigs on both sides as far as I'm concerned
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Lol
    You're all Guinea pigs on both sides as far as I'm concerned
    Well one side hasn't even tested it yet.

http://i0.wp.com/pixelenemy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/XboxOnebetatested.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It looks like you were comparing 900p vs. 1080p and 600p vs. 720p.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=69233056&postcount=25

The difference between 900p and 1080p is actually identical to the difference between 600p and 720p.

Both are a 44% increase in pixel count.

Yes and one looks a damn sight better than the other. We haven't had the luxury of a great upscaled 900p image this gen, mostly 720p and below. The consequences of 900p compared to 640p on a 1080p HDTV are far less significant.

1080p is always better, it does matter and I accept that and I've never said otherwise. What do you guys want me to say? Because some launch window PS4 games will be operating in higher resolution I should go for PS4 otherwise I'm hypocrite? I'm sorry but the PS4 has no games I'm interested in. I also have far more faith in MS delivering a quality product that I'll enjoy. That's my personal taste.

On that note here's another good article from DF regarding resolution and the struggles/compromises devs might face initially at launch. Never mind resolution, what about all the other components that make a game. How about framerate? I'm expecting smooth and consistent FPS next-gen, something Andrew Goossen made special mention of in his interview which was a high priority for the X1 design team.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally! I couldn't give a toss whether COD:G / RYSE etc etc is 720p OR 1080p ... the X1 will upscale the image (just like the 360 does) so it'll still look decent on ya HDTV anyway!!! :) .... I just wanna play! :)
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Have to say I would be astonished if Microsofts advancement for the next gen was to go from 720p to 720p - I think even their execs would have recognised that to do this would be commercial suicide.

I can understand the change in Ryse from 1080p to 900p - Its a launch title with large battlefields and many characters on the screen at once, which sort of explains why they would go for smooth gameplay over hi res. Plus this has been a "troubled" game and is still just as likely to be a turkey as it is a hit.

Like or loath COD - Ghosts is a AAA launch title for both consoles and if the general public are told that the PS4 is 1080p to the Ones 720p, then all they will know is that it is 360 "something's" better on the PS4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and one looks a damn sight better than the other. We haven't had the luxury of a great upscaled 900p image this gen, mostly 720p and below. The consequences of 900p compared to 640p on a 1080p HDTV are far less significant.

1080p is always better, it does matter and I accept that and I've never said otherwise. What do you guys want me to say? Because some launch window PS4 games will be operating in higher resolution I should go for PS4 otherwise I'm hypocrite? I'm sorry but the PS4 has no games I'm interested in. I also have far more faith in MS delivering a quality product that I'll enjoy. That's my personal taste.

On that note here's another good article from DF regarding resolution and the struggles/compromises devs might face initially at launch. Never mind resolution, what about all the other components that make a game. How about framerate? I'm expecting smooth and consistent FPS next-gen, something Andrew Goossen made special mention of in his interview which was a high priority for the X1 design team.
    But you explicitly said there is a difference between the difference between 900p -> 1080p and the difference between 600p -> 720p, but that simply is not true - the differences are identical.

Now I think you're changing your angle to be that 900p looks better on a 1080p TV than a 640p image. Why I do not know because no one is disputing that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can understand the change in Ryse from 1080p to 900p - Its a launch title with large battlefields and many characters on the screen at once, which sort of explains why they would go for smooth gameplay over hi res. Plus this has been a "troubled" game and is still just as likely to be a turkey as it is a hit.

There was no change for Ryse though, it was 900p from day 1, never downgraded. As for being troubled that's true and a lot of that has to do with people's interpretations of the game being QTE fest, when in reality the combat is more like Batman Arkham series than anything QTE related.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But you explicitly said there is a difference between the difference between 900p -> 1080p and the difference between 600p -> 720p, but that simply is not true - the differences are identical.

Now I think you're changing your angle to be that 900p looks better on a 1080p TV than a 640p image. Why I do not know because no one is disputing that.

No they not, since image quality exponentially increases the closer you get to the fixed native resolution of the panel, this isn't like CRT where everything outputs at a clean 1:1 pixel mapping regardless of resolution where in that instance you could suggest the differences are mathematically identical (or if you were running 640p material on a native 720p LCD/Plasma).

But on 1080p HDTV's that is not the case, The downgrade from 720p to 640p will not be as pronounced at 1080p to 900p, also taking into consideration the superior scaling technology available now which you are completely overlooking.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of COD:Ghosts!! :) ... Does anyone know IF it'll appear on the WiiU eshop this year cause the previous instalment was disk only! :(
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    (bib) that wouldn't preclude them licensing it to a 'rival' though!

Seems the directx notion is as clear as mud out there thanks to use of terms like 'extended' or 'modified' directx 1.1 on ps4 rather than something like 'directx compatible api'.

Microsoft would probably licence Direct X out to rival companies. BUT Sony wouldn't buy a Direct X licence from Microsoft because it would reveal exactly what features their console would support. Including its GPU, CPU, and amount of ram.

What the presentation says (Even assuming its accurate?) Is that it supports a Direct X 11.2 feature set. That means the graphics card of the PS4 will support some of the shader functions that are typically associated with Direct X 11.2 Its a reference to developers to show what they can do with the PS4 by comparing it to equvilent hardware/software.

So for example Direct X 11.0 supports tesselation, support for stereoscopic 3D and other features. associated with Direct X 11.0 ( I am assuming that like the rumors support, Xinput too) That doesn't mean the console is running direct X just that the graphics card will support features associated with Direct X 11.0 graphics cards,

Just like the PS3 supported features associated with Direct X 9.0 graphics cards. PS2 8.0 etc, etc.