In 10 words or less, what one change would you make to Doctor Who?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    make the companion an orphan ( I know I'm back to the no soap style elements again)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    allisonbm2 wrote:
    make the companion an orphan ( I know I'm back to the no soap style elements again)

Well, after Smith and Jones, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it looks like you could be disappointed... ;)

I have to admit I've never had too much of a problem with the family thing. I mean, there would be something weird if the companion's background was just totally forgotten about...I think it really adds to the show. (That's not to say I don't understand why Jackie Tyler annoyed the hell out of people though).
    Forum Member
    Well, after Smith and Jones, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it looks like you could be disappointed... ;)

I have to admit I've never had too much of a problem with the family thing. I mean, there would be something weird if the companion's background was just totally forgotten about...I think it really adds to the show. (That's not to say I don't understand why Jackie Tyler annoyed the hell out of people though).

*sigh* I know :(

I've never liked soap opera type storylines (and I hate Eastenders) and the family set up first with Rose and now with Martha is just that. I do like Marha though and enjoyed last nights episode a lot so I'll grit my teeth on that quibble ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some more cliffhanger episodes.

I'm 15 so I don't remember the older series but I have enjoyed the Doctor Who episodes since CE in Series One. At first glance I was only originally watching for Billie Piper but from the first episode I knew Doctor Who was something to continually watch. Some episodes in series 2 just dragged but others were really good. With 2 parters, it gives the viewers a chance to think whether the Doctor will survive and not like someone else pointed out how long it takes for the doctor to get out of the problem.
    Forum Member
    Some more cliffhanger episodes.

I'm 15 so I don't remember the older series but I have enjoyed the Doctor Who episodes since CE in Series One. At first glance I was only originally watching for Billie Piper but from the first episode I knew Doctor Who was something to continually watch. Some episodes in series 2 just dragged but others were really good. With 2 parters, it gives the viewers a chance to think whether the Doctor will survive and not like someone else pointed out how long it takes for the doctor to get out of the problem.

True. I remember being very excited by the mini-cliffhanger at the beginning of The Impossible Satan Planet Pit, where the Doctor and Rose were confronted with the Ood ("We must feed - we must feed") and then it went into the opening titles. I thought that was a rather neat little reminder of how great proper cliffhangers used to be.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    What would you most like to do to Doctor Who? (Keep it clean). Anything goes, subject to the following:

1. Demoting RTD, sacking RTD, or terminating RTD with extreme prejudice won't make for an interesting thread. If your single change is one of these, then imagine RTD has already gone and THEN choose your one thing.

2. Be creative and constructive, brief, and think wishfully. "Write better scripts" is not what we're looking for. "Film the Time War", "Never use the Daleks again" or "Bring back Jon Pertwee" are just right. Have fun!

Go back to 4 x 25 minute episodes!

8 Words!

Seriously with things like 24, Prison Break, Kidnapped et al the idea of cliffhangers is not so problamatic as before and it would allow for more depth of stories. Otherwise you end up with the Star Trek thing.

20 minutes to establish a problem
    20 minutes to figure out a solution
    5 minutes to actually solve it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 parters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allisonbm2 wrote:

I love this suggestion really made laugh but I really hope it comes true as well.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    allisonbm2 wrote:

Wouldnt an orphan have an adopted family that they cared about :confused::)

2 parters yes, four parters no, I remember the old series and if the the story stank you'd be stuck with it for four weeks.
    Forum Member
    Wouldnt an orphan have an adopted family that they cared about :confused::)

2 parters yes, four parters no, I remember the old series and if the the story stank you'd be stuck with it for four weeks.

not necessarily,they may not have been adopted or even fostered
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timmy Mallet next companion.
  • Todo BoffinTodo Boffin Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Get the Tardis repaired so that it no longer appears as a Police Box - it looks so out of place but nobody seems to take any notice of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish all the stories were 2 parters, cause one 45 minute story isn't long enough and i miss the cliffhangers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the Tardis repaired so that it no longer appears as a Police Box - it looks so out of place but nobody seems to take any notice of it.
    No-one really notices it because of the TARDIS's preception filters, but your post touches on the idea I had when I spotted this thread, which was...

Redesign the inner doors of the TARDIS so that they are more generic, like they were in the old series.
  • rfw1rfw1 Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    A companion who dosent come with a family out of Eastenders
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    id love a episode (maybe a 2 parter) where the doc goes dark (reakky dark) for some unkown reason

doesnt care about the human race anymore willing to let the baddie win

somethng like that
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to a six episode season with each episode having an higher budget and more time to develop the writing
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A storyline that lets the Doctor figure out he can regenerate as many times as he likes, then we won't have to worry about what may happen when the Doctor runs out of regenerations
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote:
    A storyline that lets the Doctor figure out he can regenerate as many times as he likes, then we won't have to worry about what may happen when the Doctor runs out of regenerations

Aw, who's worried? I'm just assuming it's fixed...no doubt we'll get to waht we think is the end, but it'll turn out that the Time Lords being deceased they are no longer limiting the number of regenerations. Or something.

In any case, I can't imagine BBC Executives saying "No, no, we know it's been getting 10 million viewers, but the Doctor's had his thirteen regenerations so we're cancelling the series and showing repeats of Are You Being Served instead."
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote:
    Go to a six episode season with each episode having an higher budget and more time to develop the writing

Hm, that feels like it's against the consensus - most people want more. I guess the question is, are the things people don't like about Doctor Who likely to be fixed with more time on each script? I don't think the problem is that the bad scripts are rushed, just that they're weak stories, sometimes squeezed into too little screen time.

Budget is a good point, though. Always looked OK to me, but still.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richie4eva wrote:

Granted
    Given the Lazarus Experiment episode involves the master's henchman working on a de-aging device to enable the master to be able to regenerate again, I'm fairly certain the doctor will be exposed to it's effects. We should also get to see it work at the end of the penultimate episode of the series
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Bring back Christopher Ecclestone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can tell you in 2 words:

Axe it !
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nic H wrote:
    I can tell you in 2 words:

Axe it !

The Doctor does battle with those evil forum trolls
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Paul McGann (although I believe he has said that he will never play the Doctor on TV again).

He should be so lucky. :)