Best tablet for £200

Danny XDanny X Posts: 48
Forum Member
Any recommendations here, I have an iphone but not bothered about staying within the 'family'!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Nexus 7 2013 model is a very good tablet. I bought mine for £169 and got a £50 Google Play credit code from Asus as part of a promotion!
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need to specify what size screen you require
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, when mobility is a priority 7-8'' is okay, but I prefer 10'', it's more comfortable. Then I would want a full HD screen, but that's outside the OP's budget.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had loads of tablets and although I'm not exactly much of an apple fan I'd have to say just grab a second hand iPad tbh. I'm not a fan of android tablets despite loving it on my phone. Windows tabs look alright but the lack of decent game would bother me. But saying that, if you can live without the games, they'd definitely be worth a look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft Solitaire Suite has me entertained for hours :D Dell Venue 8 Pro should be available cheaply if you consider Windows tablets. It has Windows 8.1 32bit on it, Office Student and Home 2013 included. The screen is 1280x800, but it's okay for 8''. Nice little thing, I got to use it for a while.
  • Danny XDanny X Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Cheers everyone, 8 inch screens are fine but may plump for 10, frankly what's the point messing about. Does anyone tether using their mobiles and how well does it work?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny X wrote: »
    Cheers everyone, 8 inch screens are fine but may plump for 10, frankly what's the point messing about. Does anyone tether using their mobiles and how well does it work?

It's not brilliant to be honesty. Eats the battery, and coverage is patchy.

You're better off with a mifi - which at least is a dedicated device. I get a great signal on mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jerhawk wrote: »
    Nexus 7 2013 model is a very good tablet. I bought mine for £169 and got a £50 Google Play credit code from Asus as part of a promotion!

It's the best - normally retails at £199.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone tether using their mobiles and how well does it work?

I suppose it depends on what mobile contract you have at the moment, how often you would need to tether and how often you'll have wifi access.

Having a seperate sim for the tablet or to use in a mifi device adds at least another £5 a month to you spend.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had loads of tablets and although I'm not exactly much of an apple fan I'd have to say just grab a second hand iPad tbh....

Well, you being an N5 person (you found that a bit rubbish, like your N4) and not being an iFan you also recommended the iPhone as a 'cheap easy phone'.
    I remember that, because I managed to refrain from being sarcastic and suggesting the OP went the next step beyond and buy a Nokia 3410 or a WAP phone)

Do you not even you find that just a little bit ridiculous ?

:eek:
    :confused:
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's not brilliant to be honesty. Eats the battery, and coverage is patchy.

You're better off with a mifi - which at least is a dedicated device. I get a great signal on mine.

The signal via MiFi is no better than using your phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to tether with my Surface 2 to my Lumia on 4G at work, because I had problems with the work's Wi-Fi. It worked excellently. It turned out our Wi-Fi is shite :D But generally speaking I prefer Wi-Fi and don't tether much.
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1970107

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WiFi-Cambridge-Sciences-StarPAD-10-1/dp/B009PM3QJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405079716&sr=8-1&keywords=starpad+3g+and+wifi+10.1

has went up in price since i got it but still well worth this price for all features.
    24/7 on the go internet-full function phone with an earpice bluetooth-
    All uk tv catchup including sky go- works great with an unlimited £12 internet sim from giffgaff- free £5 if order from here- http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/diandal2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    It's the best - normally retails at £199.

Tesco's do it for £169

http://www.tesco.com/direct/google-nexus-7-2013-16gb-wi-fi-black-tablet/278-0083.prd
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tether from my Nexus 5 to Nexus 7 quite a lot (on 3) and it seems to work well. I did it all the way from London to Manchester recently and it seemed to work everywhere although the speeds varied greatly from area to area.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With my Nexus 7 2013 tablet (a brilliant tablet BTW) I've used tethering with two different phones with mixed results.

My old T-Mobile Xperia S used to work okayish (3G is pretty much useless round here unfortunately) provided you were on T-Mobile and not "T-Mobile Orange" - it never worked on the latter.

With my current handset, an Xperia Z1 Compact on EE 4G, I never had a problem with tethering and 4G has much better coverage than 3G ever did and it's much faster to boot (not to mention it's easy to turn on from this phone). Watching live BBC iPlayer streams in a basement hotel room in London was pretty impressive I must admit - only had 0 bars of signal too, as soon as you tried to make a call it went to "no service" :o

Round here (Nottinghamshire) the phone is pretty much always on 4G, only falling back to EDGE out in the sticks (and in much of Nottingham's rural hinterland I have a strong 4G signal) or inside the city centre shopping centres (and only ever falling back to 3G on works signal box). Even when on EDGE the tethering works well enough, if rather slow!

If only East Midland Trains Meridan's didn't block out mobile signals....
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Well, if you can settle for a 7in screen (and they are not at all bad if, say, you are lying in bed watching TV or a film on it), then Argos are flogging of the rest of its first generation Google Nexus for £99.99. Check it out here. They are the 32gb version, too.

A couple of weeks ago, I badly damaged my Nexus (don't know how) and sold it for spares on eBay for £20, then went out and bought another for £99.99. But if you are interested, don't hang around because I'm sure stock is limited.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Brady12 wrote: »
    Personally I would avoid Value basket like the plague https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/valuebasket.com

You may be correct about Value Basket, but I checked out the last 20 revues and there are 6 bad and 14 Excellent. No guarantee all revues are genuine but not as bad as they seem.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its high risk, no warranty stuff when you import, so don't forget you have lots of taxes to add on.

You can buy an A grade tablet with the most high end screen, the HDX 8.9, from CEX for £165.
    For student the most practical will be a full WIndows one. The Lenovo Miix2 8" is £190 at Amazon and I think there is a £50 cash back offer from Lenovo too.

The WinTel cartel are attacking ARM, Apple and Google so Windows is now about given away free on 9" tablets/laptops too. So expect cheap 9" ones to also appear.

I suspect the Windows 8 ones will allow you to pay £50 for Windows 9 when they Microsoft abandon 8, likely next year. But unlike Metro(RT) the system does not have the walled garden limitation. The Miix2 is fully equipped I think, so GPS will be standard.

Thing are moving fast so keep on your toes when buying.