T' Yorkshire myth

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh Bettys, the most over priced, pretentious establishment known to man. keep those little fingers out, whilst sipping that darjeeling!

i wouldnt know, someone of such low class as myself (being from a village out in the sticks) would never be allowed to enter such a prestigious establishment ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    i wouldnt know, someone of such low class as myself (being from a village out in the sticks) would never be allowed to enter such a prestigious establishment ;):D

I had the privilidge once and it was crap tbh. My grand ma enjoyed it though.
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tis lazy speaking.
  • ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has made me quite paranoid about my accent and the way i talk and pronounce words.

Sad as it maybe i have been sat for a while talking to myself to see wether i do actually have a yorkshire accent and if i do say words proper yorkshire....:o
  • CerroneCerrone Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's bloody Peter Kay to blame for this 't' business. All his mindless fans forever going 'tinernet', 'tEgypt' and thinking it's a big hoot. Peter Kay's irritating enough, but with all his followers repeating his annoying catchphrases, I just want to batter anyone who uses this 't' thing now. :mad:

Peter Kay's not even from Yorkshire. When I read the OP, in my mind I heard all the Yorkshire phrases being said by Biff from Emmerdale, and yeah, it sounds right without the definite article. (Biff was a main character in the show last time I watched it :D)
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cerrone wrote: »
    It's bloody Peter Kay to blame for this 't' business. All his mindless fans forever going 'tinernet', 'tEgypt' and thinking it's a big hoot. Peter Kay's irritating enough, but with all his followers repeating his annoying catchphrases, I just want to batter anyone who uses this 't' thing now. :mad:

Peter Kay's not even from Yorkshire. When I read the OP, in my mind I heard all the Yorkshire phrases being said by Biff from Emmerdale, and yeah, it sounds right without the definite article. (Biff was a main character in the show last time I watched it :D)

Peter Kay is from Lancashire and we have a similar, though not identical, usage of t' and a glottal stop.

I am a Peter Kay fan and I am certainly not mindless. For example, I would not rant on here about a comedian just because I do not like him personally.
  • HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree. The OP sounds like he's from West Yorkshire. I'm from North Yorkshire and we don't speak like they do. There's a distinct difference and it's the W. Yorkshire accent that comedians take the mick about, especially if it's a strong accent. A few pronunciations that I think we all do however, are these :

Intit - Isn't it
    Duntit - Doesn't it
    Antit - Hasn't it
    It int - It isn't
    It ant - It hasn't
    Not forgettin wunt, shunt, dunt & ****!
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgettin wunt, shunt, dunt & ****!

Don't forget owt, sommert and nowt. I dunno how much wider in Yorkshire these three go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Yorkshire I would think has the most typical "Yorkshire accent"

i know that people in scarborough and north yorkshire very rarely seem to have strong accents
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member

i know that people in scarborough and north yorkshire very rarely seem to have strong accents

We're special.

I agree, whenever i've been to Whitby/Scarborough people never seen to have any accent at all.
  • HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Don't forget owt, sommert and nowt. I dunno how much wider in Yorkshire these three go.
    Ah, I spell the middle one summat, wonder if there's a correct/incorrect way of spellin it? Appen we should consult Jethro...
  • CerroneCerrone Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am a Peter Kay fan and I am certainly not mindless. For example, I would not rant on here about a comedian just because I do not like him personally.

It gets a bit tiresome, no, a lot tiresome when you work with people who are obsessed with him and constantly talk with his mannerisms, even when they're not aware of it - and they're not from Bolton or wherever it is. :rolleyes:

I gather the same thing used to happen with Monty Python fans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    We're special.
    I agree, whenever i've been to Whitby/Scarborough people never seen to have any accent at all.

Hell yeah. Although when I am down south i find myself trying to mask my Barnsley twang. SamefulI I know.

The man that delivered my cooker ( he sounded like a cockney) asked me a question and i replied "I would be reight happy if ya did" he actually had to ask for me to translate it. It was very embarassing.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cerrone wrote: »
    It gets a bit tiresome, no, a lot tiresome when you work with people who are obsessed with him and constantly talk with his mannerisms, even when they're not aware of it - and they're not from Bolton or wherever it is. :rolleyes:

I gather the same thing used to happen with Monty Python fans.

And Goon fans!
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    Grates with me when people impersonating yarkshire slang just throw in few (( 't )))s instead of word "the"

Spent my childhood talking Yorkshire slang, they/we dont say the word "the" *at all* - it just doesn't exist in Yorkshire slang

When they/we say ( t' ), it replaces "to" (not 'the')

e.g.

"Will you wash the car?" = "Will you wash car?" (see! no 'the' and no t')

"I'm going to the shop" = "I'm going t' shop" (t' replaces 'to' not 'the' - we just dont say 'the' at all)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I wonder if you're from down my way Jethro cos thats how I talk and it gets me all grrrr when I see everyone throwing the t's in :eek:
  • jeymzjeymz Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your post but I just wanted to compare my accent with yours LOL. I say, "I'm gonna't shops." and I totally miss my T's in Butter and Water.

That's me. "buh-errr" and "wah-errr"
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    Well im from a bit further north in north yorkshire than yourself (going by your location under your user name).

We always see people from Harrogate as posh accented, it may be "Harrogate" to you but its "arragut" to us ;):D

Its "arragut" to me too (well...more "arrygut") :p I think I'm a special case though...the vast majority of my fellow townspeople prounce, for example, "bath" as "bARth"..where as I'm a bit more "baf".
    Ahh Bettys, the most over priced, pretentious establishment known to man. keep those little fingers out, whilst sipping that darjeeling!
    :eek: Leave our Bettys alone! :p
    That said, I do find their cheek to ban their customer's from using mobile phones in the building more than a little pretentious...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Lancashire and Yorkshire were pretty much the same thing but apparently not. Mind you, I only found out recently that Africa is not a country, and Ireland is not part of the UK.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very devout Lancashire woman died, and her husband went to the stonemasons to order a headstone. "I want a very simple inscription." he said - "SHE WAS THINE."

"Reet-o" said the stonemason, "Leave it wi'me."

When the man returned a week later to view the headstone, he was furious. It read 'SHE WAS THIN.' "You stupid man, you've left an 'e' off" raged the man.

"Bugger me I 'ave" said the stonemason. "Leave it wi'me an' arl purrit right."

When the man returned a week later, the headstone read EE SHE WAS THIN. :cool:
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.heatworld.com

By ecky thump, lass! It's Emmerdale's saucy prison guard, Abi Peterson, completely starkers - save for a few strategically placed Yorkshire Puds!

Well tasty!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heheh. I'm from North Yorkshire. South Yorkshire fowk sound like Southerners to me. or dare I say, Midlandised Yorkshire people.;) Only kidding. You're still preferable to owt further South.

I grew up in the West Riding that with the abolition of the Ridings, became North Yorkshire. We lived just a few mile from the east riding border though so literally one village away (5 miles) they ahd a perceptibly different accent to us, and you could always tell whether someone came from C, or S, within about five seconds of them opening their gob oils. My family originally came from C but I grew up in S, making me forever a foreigner even though my family had been 600 plus years only one aprish along (just on the east Riding border). My old aunties would still say 'drooned' for 'drowned', etc. I grew up talking the S way although all my ancestors back to eyar dot will have spoke the C way. Just 5 miles but it was a totally different Yorkshire accent.

My mum must have had that accent although it's hard to remember, but my dad was born in Leeds (Shadwell though, which was 'posh in them days) and other Yorkshire fowk would ask me if he came from Harrogate, as he had a proper 'posh Yorkshire' accent. He went to the same school as Alan Bennett.:)

Tell you one South Yorkshire lad with a champion accent was the late lovely Ted Hughes, poet laureate. I went to the last reading he ever did, and it was electrifying - and hearing those poems read in that accent. Nowt else comes close.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »

'Ecky thump' is summat I have only ever heard said by Southerners, trying to be 'jocular' (and failing). Makes me cringe a bit like the whippet comment upthread.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Is "meithering" a northern word? :confused: I thought it was ubiquitous. Come to think of it, I can only think of people back home (Bolton) who use it regularly.

Until I went to uni up North, I'd never heard anyone apart from on Coronation Street say mithering.
    jeymz wrote: »
    As a Yorkshireman, this thread has made me analyse my accent and I've come to realise I speak more "Yorkshire" than I realised. I'm from North Yorkshire and come from a town where people claim "there isn't an accent."
    "I'm going to the shops" I would pronounce as "Im going-tut shops"
    and I pronounce "water" and "butter" horrifically.
    I have cousins with very, very stong accents though- even to the point where I struggle to understand them.
    I find there's two different "t' sounds- one for "to", the other for "the".

I've been to Harrogate and there is definitely an accent; at least to my Southern ears!

:eek:

I love Bettys! The cakes are delicious and the service is great. I think it's worth every penny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until I went to uni up North, I'd never heard anyone apart from on Coronation Street say mithering.

I've been to Harrogate and there is definitely an accent; at least to my Southern ears!

:eek:

I love Bettys! The cakes are delicious and the service is great. I think it's worth, every penny.

I like Betty's too. And only common people stick their finger out when drinking tea! (I always thought it was a sure sign someone was working class;))
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I lived in Tarn for three years and picked the accent up. I sound awful now, tha nos wara mean?

Try spending 15 or so years there. I sound dreadful. :o I do say "the" now, after 11 years in the Midlands, but people still identify my accent as Yorkshire, which makes me cringe!
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Yup. In my part of Yorkshire there's very definitely always the glottal stop.
    They (I'm a comer-in) say, "I'm going down <glottal stop> shops". It's not the definite article that's omitted, it's the preposition.

I agree with this too. ;)
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    'Ecky thump' is summat I have only ever heard said by Southerners, trying to be 'jocular' (and failing). Makes me cringe a bit like the whippet comment upthread.:o

Same here. Another thing people say when trying to sound Yorkshire is "eeh by gum", but I've never heard a single Yorkshire person say this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here. Another thing people say when trying to sound Yorkshire is "eeh by gum", but I've never heard a single Yorkshire person say this.

Nor me. Happen when I worra bairn?:D But no, I have no memory of ever hearing a single Yorkshire (or even Lancashire, spit) person ever saying 'eeh by gum'. I have had it said to me by Bristolians with that sort of 'I'm bang on the money, aren't I?' look in their eye. No you prat. You're so not.

I did also have the displeasure of a South Western type singing (and memorising every verse of especially to sing to me) 'On Ilkley moor B'aht 'At' once. And having to sit through the entire song. They refused to believe I'd never sung it or heard it sung. Ever.