Options

Help! - hazard perception test

superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just took a practice test, for some of the hazards I scored 0 even though I noticed them and clicked for them.. I think my problem is that I clicked too early.

After doing some research, it's recommeneded that you actually click 3 times as the hazard develops.. will I not be marked down for these extra unesscary clicks?

Also, does turning a corner/roundabout count as a 'hazard' that I need to click for?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ant LAnt L Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They give you full instructions on the screen before you actually sit it so it'll all be explained then. But when I did it they don't mark you down for extra clicks (although if you click very excessively you'll fail that particular clip).
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run them over, eat their young.

/insanity wolfmode
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tests. Hazards. Clicks?

I'm glad I'm old.
  • Options
    TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ye gods are todays driving tests a series of mouse clicks?!

:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDonk wrote: »

Lol.. it's part of the theory test
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    TheDonk wrote: »

Driving tests today are harder than they ever have been, I wouldn't want to be a learner today.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed first time *snooty face*

I cant drive for shit and havent for 8 years
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Driving tests today are harder than they ever have been, I wouldn't want to be a learner today.

I hate to agree, but it's true. I remember my daughter doing her practise stuff - I didn't have a clue. I remember her 'You don't know a lot Dad'. The reply of 'Yep, but I've got a license' did not go down well.
  • Options
    BedlemBedlem Posts: 2,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    I passed first time *snooty face*

I cant drive for shit and havent for 8 years

Ha, me too - passed first time, can't drive for sh*t and haven't done so for a couple of years.
  • Options
    dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    I did my first theory test immediately after the hazard perception test was introduced. Passed the questions section easily but failed the hazard perception because I was paranoid about clicking too much and scoring zero. I think the anti-cheat system kicks in mainly if you're just clicking at set intervals no matter what's happening.
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have failed the practical test twice :(

Could you get a practise dvd or something op? I got one for when I was practising for the test and it was very useful.

3 clicks for each hazard should be fine.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    dodgygeeza wrote: »
    I did my first theory test immediately after the hazard perception test was introduced. Passed the questions section easily but failed the hazard perception because I was paranoid about clicking too much and scoring zero. I think the anti-cheat system kicks in mainly if you're just clicking at set intervals no matter what's happening.

Thats more or less when I did mine and I only just scraped through the Hazard Perception but scored full marks on the theory part :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    If you get a CD/DVD-ROM product, it will train you to ignore the hazard, so that you only click the button when they expect you to. I had the same problem, where I noticed the hazard way before they expect people to notice it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    When i did mine a few months ago i think i clicked around 6-8 times per clip (everytime i saw something that could possibly be a hazard), just to be sure. If you click too soon you can sometimes end up missing the top score, so it's always worth clicking once, then about a second or two later, clicking again.

I actually found the real hazard perception test much easier than the ones that they present you with on the practice DVD's. The resolution of the clips is much better and generally speaking the hazards are much easier to spot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    When i did mine a few months ago i think i clicked around 6-8 times per clip (everytime i saw something that could possibly be a hazard), just to be sure. If you click too soon you can sometimes end up missing the top score, so it's always worth clicking once, then about a second or two later, clicking again.

I actually found the real hazard perception test much easier than the ones that they present you with on the practice DVD's. The resolution of the clips is much better and generally speaking the hazards are much easier to spot.

that's good to hear, one thing I've always thought whilst doing these is 'how am I supposed to notice something in the distance with these crappy low resolution clips?!' They should change it to 'click when you see a conspicuous bunch of pixels in the distance'
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I passed my test 24 years ago & didn't have to do any of this crap. I would've failed miserably probably.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the hazard starts it counts down in seconds 5 4 3 2 1 which equate to points. The reason you click twice is because it is actually possible to click just before the 5 and get 0. so clicking twice or three times will assure you get a 5.

If you get the latest test DVD from amazon it shows you where you clicked and where the scoring starts and finishes which is insightful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Policeman: "Did you see the young girl on her bike before you ran her over?"

New Driver: "Yes, I did. She came out between 2 parked cars."

Policeman: "Did you use your horn to warn her of your presence?"

New Driver: "The horn? I couldn't even find the mouse!"

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    The motorcycle test is getting a bit daft to be honest, how many different types of motorbikes can there be and why different tests and restrictions with age, weight and power output. Wonder if the same restrictions and multi tests will apply to cars any time soon?
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    superboy wrote: »
    Just took a practice test, for some of the hazards I scored 0 even though I noticed them and clicked for them.. I think my problem is that I clicked too early.
    Get one of those 'Pass your theory test' DVDs

I had a few goes at my daughter's DVD while she was studying for her theory test earlier this year.
    By the time you've run through the test a few times, you get to know what's expected, and it becomes pretty easy.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    The motorcycle test is getting a bit daft to be honest, how many different types of motorbikes can there be and why different tests and restrictions with age, weight and power output. Wonder if the same restrictions and multi tests will apply to cars any time soon?

I started on motorcycles & they have VERY different braking characteristics. My last bike was a CX500 Eurosport & it was a dog to try to stop. Slow & heavy.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    It's pretty simple really, for the category A you either do the test on a 125cc bike and get a licence which is restricted for two years; or, if over 21, do it on a larger bike (400/500cc usually) and get a full unrestricted licence.
    There is also category A1, but nobody ever does that anyway.

That system has been in place for many years now, the only recent changes were to add the off-road section of the test which applies to all bike categories.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    superboy wrote: »

After doing some research, it's recommeneded that you actually click 3 times as the hazard develops.. will I not be marked down for these extra unesscary clicks?

Also, does turning a corner/roundabout count as a 'hazard' that I need to click for?

thanks
    I would suggest clicking for every potential hazard you see (eg a pedestrian standing at the side of the road), then click again if the hazard changes (eg the pedestrian steps in to the road), then click again a second later just to make sure you have responded in the scoring zone.

No, you don't get marked down for extra clicks, you get a score for the earliest response in the scoring zone.
    The anti-cheat detection will only zero-score the clip if you click loads of times, not just for each hazard and a few extra.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »
    Policeman: "Did you see the young girl on her bike before you ran her over?"

New Driver: "Yes, I did. She came out between 2 parked cars."

Policeman: "Did you use your horn to warn her of your presence?"

New Driver: "The horn? I couldn't even find the mouse!"

:rolleyes:

Of course, in the times we live in, they skip the practical test and let you drive as soon as you've passed your theory.

O.P where did you do a practice one? Was it on a cd/dvd?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I actually found the real hazard perception test much easier than the ones that they present you with on the practice DVD's.

That's what I found too. The day of my test I was still failing at the practice hazard perception on the DVD but I passed my theory first time. The clips on the real thing are a lot easier. OP if you get a theory DVD you should be fine.