Options

David Baddiel - Hypocrite

Comments

• Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »
    Give an example of Baddiel offending people.

Isn't he the guy that joked about Anne "cot death" Diamond and Roy "cancer" Castle. I remember seeing some live show of his a few years ago and the crowd gasped and he joked "too much"?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It's just football banter, FFS. Why does everyone have to be proffesionally offended at everything these days?

He does put me in mind somewhat of Lenny Henry. Not very talented but with very good media contacts to promote himself and his pet causes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will go nowhere as most spurs fans identify themselves as yids - 'yid army' and all that. It's part of the Tottenham's identity.
    Banning the word 'Yid' is not practical. Just sort out the problem opposition fans who use it in a derogatory way. They're such a small minority too which is why i don't get this entire huge campaign to ban the word 'Yid'.
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep.. Jews are the one of the most openly racist bunch of hypocrites on the planet I'm afraid.

They are very well organised when it comes to stepping on any hint of anti-semitism, and they just love to deliberately confuse it with anti-zionism.

No sympathy here. If you want to campaign about something, start with the human rights abuses in Israel.

What a complete pile of deliberately anti-semitic bullshit.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    Isn't he the guy that joked about Anne "cot death" Diamond and Roy "cancer" Castle. I remember seeing some live show of his a few years ago and the crowd gasped and he joked "too much"?

Yeah he's happy enough to dish it out.....
  • Options
    Forum Member

So how many born and bred jews marry non jewish partners?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vast numbers. Google to find out the best estimates.

The first hit on "google news" states the following:
    The 1990 Jewish-funded, National Jewish Population Survey startled many with the report that 52 percent of Jews were married to non-Jews. Now 21 years after that finding, Tobin’s research and that of others say Jewish intermarriage is at least 60 percent and may well be 75 percent. Children of Jews married to non-Jews are even less likely to marry Jews. About 9 percent of those children of mixed marriages raise their children as Jews, some research shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Traditional Judaism does not permit interfaith marriages. The Torah states that the children of such marriages would be lost to Judaism (Deut. 7:3-4), and experience has shown the truth of this passage all too well. The 2000 National Jewish Population Survey found that only a third of interfaith couples raise their children Jewish, despite increasing efforts in the Reform and Conservative communities to welcome interfaith couples."

"The word shiksa is most commonly used to refer to a non-Jewish woman who is dating or married to a Jewish man, which should give some indication of how strongly Jews are opposed to the idea of intermarriage. "

from http://www.jewfaq.org/gentiles.htm
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No - 39.

How the hell would I know?

Loads. Is that good enough for you?
  • Options
    cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    Blimey, the whole "Spasmo" routine for one which included references to Joey Deacon.

But obviously Baddiel is untouchable because he's Jewish. :rolleyes:

Hmm, so one routine he did over 20 years ago and a gag he made in 1993 equals "an entire career offending people"?

You see that person making silly exaggerations? That's you, that is.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On" Who do you think you are" he admittd he isn't very Jewish and didn't want to meet his religious jewish relatives.
  • Options
    MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    On" Who do you think you are" he admittd he isn't very Jewish

:D To be fair, from the Orthodox halachic perspective you can't be a little bit Jewish - either you are or you're not, which according to them is decided matrilineally (i.e. if your mother is Jewish, so are you).

That's only the Orthodox viewpoint, though.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    He does put me in mind somewhat of Lenny Henry. Not very talented but with very good media contacts to promote himself and his pet causes.

Hmmmm. I have been known to laugh at some of Lenny Henry's jokes and stories. I honestly can't remember laughing at any of Baddiel's performances. I just find him tiresome and, as another poster wrote ^^, on 'Who do you think you are', he seemed to want to distance himself from his more devout relatives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm. I have been known to laugh at some of Lenny Henry's jokes and stories. I honestly can't remember laughing at any of Baddiel's performances. I just find him tiresome and, as another poster wrote ^^, on 'Who do you think you are', he seemed to want to distance himself from his more devout relatives.

Whilst it can be argued as to whether their respective unfunniness is absolute or only relative, it still remains that Baddiel's chosen career as a comedian is rapidly [or do I mean slowly?] going nowhere; and he therefore needs a cause arround which to reinvent himself publicity-wise.

Have seen the short film and it really is not very good, more than a touch of "Brass Eye" about it. Weirdly given their prevalence in football, no actual Jews take an active part in front of the camera. All the local rivals [Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham] have strong Jewish links. Either they weren't asked (implausible) or they refused for whatever reason.

IMO gas chamber references and Nazi salutes at football should be treated and firmly dealt with by the authorities - both footballing and legal - as intrinsically inflammatory and anti-Semitic.
  • Options
    Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for that well rounded counter argument.

Isn't it curious how every time someone criticises the apartheid state of Israel they are accused of being anti-semitic.

Let's examine this situation some more shall we...

David Baddiel is educated chap, I think it's fair to assume he comes from a decent background and has been afforded every opportunity in life. He graduated with a double first from Cambridge and has spent his adult life being very well paid as a comic entertainer.

He happens to also be Jewish. Do we think jews are, on the whole, discriminated against in this country?

Personally I think not.

Quite rightly, I'd say, jews are certainly treated no worse than anyone else... I would certainly say that anti-semitism is not a problem in our society. Good, that is how it should be.

I think if we could achieve the same level of harmony with the muslim community, that would be good.

So, considering this, why is this educated chap making such a fuss about a problem which quite clearly, is not actually a problem at all?

Meanwhile, Israel - the only state in the world where your religion is your nationality - continues to abuse the basic human rights of Palestinians... do you not think that David Baddiel and his brother, as educated individuals, might be better off campaigning against that? Or do you think the cries of some confused football supporters are more important?
  • Options
    FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I smell career revival.:rolleyes:;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    Baddiel has been around the radio stations going on about the use of the Y word and how it is offensive to Jews.

Yet Baddiel as an "alternative comedian" has made his entire career out of offending people.

Hypocrite.
    I'm not sure he has the last word on the Y word or anything else. His treatment of Jason Lee was just cowardly bullying. Now he finds something he cares about it's apparently a different matter.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    Whta confuses me about threads like this and what the OP wrote is that one of the terms and condition of DS is don't post anything potentially libellous, so how come threads/posts of the OP are able to pass without any action from the mods?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Whta confuses me about threads like this and what the OP wrote is that one of the terms and condition of DS is don't post anything potentially libellous, so how come threads/posts of the OP are able to pass without any action from the mods?

What part of the OP is libelous - in your opinion?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david baddiel looks just like student grant, in viz, in one issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    What part of the OP is libelous - in your opinion?

Calling him a hypocrite? I've seen worse posted recently and nothing is done, but when politics section have exchanges of disgrement, the likes of me are flashed with reminders of the rules before I can make another post!
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know, it would be slander, not libel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the point about the word, I have never known what it really means and definetly didn't know what it meant at all as a kid when some people at secondery school started coming out with this word, mainly Arsenal fans!

But I knew I didn't like it when people came out with this word, the way people said it, it just sounded derogatory and it sounded like it was being said with such intent and I'm glad that I've never uttered that word or approved of anyone saying it.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    On" Who do you think you are" he admittd he isn't very Jewish and didn't want to meet his religious jewish relatives.

so really, Talksport shouldnt have picked him as a Jewish representative to speak on behalf of Jews and no one should really take any notice of his comments
  • Options
    XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member

Statistics have already made this comment look silly. You clearly know nothing about Judaism. For an awful lot of people, it's about culture and upbringing and has little to do with the religious aspect.