Options

Has someone ever sat in your reserved seat on a train?

Comments

• Options
    qetu1357qetu1357 Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Why? Silly old farts bang on about "experience", well perhaps they should apply that experience like the person who used their brain and booked in advance...

If you NEED a seat them book in advance - simple!!

I agree someone else's lack of planning is not my problem.

If I hadn't reserved a seat I would give mine up though.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    I agree someone else's lack of planning is not my problem.

Quite....
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there ought to be a specifically reserved carriage where people can only go into if they have reservations. Like it could be just after the first class carriage and explicity shown on the carriage doors. Then all the rest could be unreserved, and have no hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also I reckon people who put their luggage on their seats next to them, ticket inspectors ought to go around and charge them for two seats unless they move it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there ought to be a specifically reserved carriage where people can only go into if they have reservations. Like it could be just after the first class carriage and explicity shown on the carriage doors. Then all the rest could be unreserved, and have no hassle.

Fair idea.

Bu the problem is a lot of people reserve seats and then don't use them.

All that needs to happen is on trains with reservations

a) if you have a reserved seat - and you travel on that train - then sit in that reserved seat
    b) anyone can sit in an unused reserved seat but they have to move if the person who has reserved turns up
    c) if you really need a seat you need to reserve one

If the train doesn't have reservations

a) anyone in a priority seat should give it up without being asked
    b) if still there are people who need to sit everyone else should offer their seats to them
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There can be many good reasons why someone has not reserved a seat. When you reach my age you often find you have to dash across the country to go to funerals (with understandably no more than a few days’ notice).

Obviously we are not in a position to go into the detail of why they don't have tickets, but that is no need to talk about "lack of planning" and "old farts". I understand some mind be annoyed at having to give up their seat, and if you would prefer to sit while the infirm stand, that it entirely up to you, but don't try to invent a "backstory" to justify your actions. Simply say “I booked me seat, you didn’t!!! TOUGH!!!!, END OF!!!!! :mad:” or “I booked me seat, you didn’t!!! TOUGH!!!!, END OF!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    There can be many good reasons why someone has not reserved a seat. When you reach my age you often find you have to dash across the country to go to funerals (with understandably no more than a few days’ notice).

Obviously we are not in a position to go into the detail of why they don't have tickets, but that is no need to talk about "lack of planning" and "old farts". I understand some mind be annoyed at having to give up their seat, and if you would prefer to sit while the infirm stand, that it entirely up to you, but don't try to invent a "backstory" to justify your actions. Simply say “I booked me seat, you didn’t!!! TOUGH!!!!, END OF!!!!! :mad:” or “I booked me seat, you didn’t!!! TOUGH!!!!, END OF!!!!! :D

"Reservations can normally be made well in advance, and remain available until two hours before the train starts its journey, or, for early morning trains, up to 1600 the previous evening."

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/purchasing_tickets/reservations.html

Lack of planning..................
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I remember my reserved seat being taken about 5 years ago. I was heavily pregnant and on the Preston-London train. The guard was actually helping us find our seats and when he found it people were sitting in them so he asked them to move which they did straight away. If the guard wasn't with us I would have still asked them myself as there was no way I was going to stand up for hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair idea.

Bu the problem is a lot of people reserve seats and then don't use them.
    then maybe the fee for those seats would be unrefundable, a bit like a hotel room. So more people will sort of put more thought into reserving seats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my reserved seat being taken about 5 years ago. I was heavily pregnant and on the Preston-London train. The guard was actually helping us find our seats and when he found it people were sitting in them so he asked them to move which they did straight away. If the guard wasn't with us I would have still asked them myself as there was no way I was going to stand up for hours.

And everytime I have found someone in my reserved seat the person has moved - except one.

On a train to Ludlow - with my pregnant wife - some chap and his friend was sat in our seats.

He said "why don't you sit someone?"

To cut a long story short - they moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double decker trains. Usually this is not possible in this country, due to loading gauge issues, namely tunnel heights being too low.
    I'd love to see a double decker train :D Do these exist anywhere in the world?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Got on one in Amsterdam and Germany.

Wierd!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Reservations can normally be made well in advance, and remain available until two hours before the train starts its journey, or, for early morning trains, up to 1600 the previous evening."

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/purchasing_tickets/reservations.html

Lack of planning..................

"Normally"
    So as you sit on the train with the infirm standing beside you, you know when the train company stoped taking reservations, and when the person first became aware of when they needed to travel?
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it happen in reverse. I had reserved seats for me and my daughter from Wolverhampton to Euston. My daughter was only little at the time.

When we arrived at Birmingham New Street a couple got on the train and also had the same seats as us reserved.

I refused to move, (even though they had a baby in a car seat) :( I assumed the baby would be ok even if they had to stand.

Anyway, they got upgraded to first class.

That showed me.:D
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll ask them to move, if it's busy. If it's quiet and there's an available seat I won't bother.

The only thing that would make me want the seat is if the available seat is backwards facing and my reserved seat is forward facing (travel sickness) or my reserved seat happened to be at a table, means I can write comfortably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

France has them.

Every so often local newspaers in the UK become exicited about "double decker" trains being considred for their local area. Nothing ever comes of it, due to the cost of rail/bridge work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Normally"
    So as you sit on the train with the infirm standing beside you, you also know when the train company stoped taking reservations, and when the person first became aware of when they needed to travel?

Like I said if I hadn't reserved a seat I would give it up (and have done on many an occasion).

So in this case I think anyone who hadn't got a reserved seat should give it up.

But the chances this person has fallen foul of the train companies reservation policy is very, very unlikely.

More likely it is someone who hasn't had the common sense to make sure they have a seat and then expect someone who has to give their seat up instead!
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We have used them alot in Berlin , the Airport Express is often a double decker . Also great for just wheeling in your bike or pram and room to strap it down beside you !

http://indolinkenglish.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/double-decker-train.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said if I hadn't reserved a seat I would give it up (and have done on many an occasion).

So in this case I think anyone who hadn't got a reserved seat should give it up.

But the chances this person has fallen foul of the train companies reservation policy is very, very unlikely.

More likely it is someone who hasn't had the common sense to make sure they have a seat and then expect someone who has to give their seat up instead!

My experience is that it is not "very very unlikely", but imo it is likely that they didn't plan.

I suggest that we don't fall into silly generalisations, even if based on the majority

My take on it is that I would give up a reserved seat in the absence of any evidence to suggest they don't "deserve it". Even then, I would probably give up my seat to someone (say a pregnant lady) who simply forgot to book (not that I would ever know).

It goes back to the argument about "respect should be earned". I don't think it does, the default position should be respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got on one in Amsterdam and Germany.

Wierd!
    We have used them alot in Berlin , the Airport Express is often a double decker . Also great for just wheeling in your bike or pram and room to strap it down beside you !

http://indolinkenglish.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/double-decker-train.jpg

no way. They don't look that much bigger than conventional trains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no way. They don't look that much bigger than conventional trains.

They are.

One they are much, much wider than British trains and two the downstairs is really low down.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,274
    Forum Member
    My 83 year old grandmother who has great difficulty walking had booked a seat on a Virgin train from Preston to Euston where my uncle was meeting her off the train. My mum took her on to the train which was very busy and found someone sat in her seat, and when informed they were sat in my grandmas seat the person who can only be described as despicable refused to move. The train guard told my mum that the person had no obligation to move, which I think is absolutely ridiculous, especially when an elderly woman is involved. Disgusting.

The guard's decision sounds dubious to me. You have paid for a service - a reserved seat - and are not getting it. Merchantability Act or whatever it is called.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    I had it happen in reverse. I had reserved seats for me and my daughter from Wolverhampton to Euston. My daughter was only little at the time.

When we arrived at Birmingham New Street a couple got on the train and also had the same seats as us reserved.

I refused to move, (even though they had a baby in a car seat) :( I assumed the baby would be ok even if they had to stand.

Anyway, they got upgraded to first class.

That showed me.:D
    That happened to me as well. I would of assumed the train booking system wouldn't allow this to happen but obviously not.

I've also seen the confusion caused when trains are delayed where everyone was fighting over booked seats because basically there were two sets of passengers boarding the same train.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experience is that it is not "very very unlikely", but imo it is likely that they didn't plan.

I suggest that we don't fall into silly generalisations, even if based on the majority

My take on it is that I would give up a reserved seat in the absence of any evidence to suggest they don't "deserve it". Even then, I would probably give up my seat to someone (say a pregnant lady) who simply forgot to book (not that I would ever know).

It goes back to the argument about "respect should be earned". I don't think it does, the default position should be respect.

I suppose my general point is that too often in this country those who don't or won't take responsibility for themselves expect others (who have) to take responsibility for them too.

It has only happened to me once - and 25 years ago - when I stayed in my reserved seat.

In all honesty I would give up my reserved seat nowadays - I suppose I am just being a devil's advocate here.

However my opening point remains the same. People need to take responsibility for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are.

One they are much, much wider than British trains and two the downstairs is really low down.

ah- that'll explain why we don't have them.