Can the Dentist tell I smoke?

Magic_BeansMagic_Beans Posts: 387
Forum Member
Since the last time I saw him I have smoked on average about 1 or 2 a day at the most. (I saw him a year and a bit ago)

Could I pass it off as coffee staining my teeth or is that just me being very naive? I know he probably wont tell my parents but my whole family agree he isn't the nicest guy in the world - very 'high and mighty', so I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I'm 19 so am going on my own.

Could he definitely tell? (The appointment is this Wednesday)

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    1. He wont tell your parents.
    2. If he does, who cares. You're an adult for goodness sake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a dentist can usualy tell, I'm a smoker and have been for years, but it's not like going to the docs where they give you a boll***ing for smoking, they're used to it. Don't worry! My dentist smokes outside and i can always tell with her breath and clothes when she's had a ****, but she is a brilliant dentist...she doesn't complain and neither do I, if you've got a good dentist, then they won't complain :)
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're 19 so going on your own, you're 19 so you can choose what you do, you're 19 so if your parents don't like it you can move out.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At just 1 or 2 a day very doubtful. I smoke much more than that yet my Dentist still had to ask if I smoked.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you smoke and your parents don't then believe me that they already know you smoke.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    I've been smoking since I was 14 now 18 dentist never noticed.

c4rv wrote: »
    if you smoke and your parents don't then believe me that they already know you smoke.

this parents know everything ! :D
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    I've been smoking since I was 14 now 18 dentist never noticed.

or more likely didn't care
  • Magic_BeansMagic_Beans Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Guys thanks for the advice.

I don't however appreciate the sarcastic, bitchy comments from a couple of the forum members. I know i'm 19 believe it or not. But my mother smoked for over 40 years and finally gave up. It would kill her to know I smoke especially since she has felt the full side effects of it, but thankfully recovered. That's why I'm slightly worried.

But thanks to the rest of you for your respectable advice. Will just have to wait and see :)
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

I don't however appreciate the sarcastic, bitchy comments from a couple of the forum members. I know i'm 19 believe it or not. But my mother smoked for over 40 years and finally gave up. It would kill her to know I smoke especially since she has felt the full side effects of it, but thankfully recovered. That's why I'm slightly worried.

But thanks to the rest of you for your respectable advice. Will just have to wait and see :)

Trust people when they say your parents know you smoke. Especially if there ex smokers. Ask any ex smoker and they will tell you they can smell miles off.
  • Magic_BeansMagic_Beans Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Trust people when they say your parents know you smoke. Especially if there ex smokers. Ask any ex smoker and they will tell you they can smell miles off.

I know but not many smokers are as paranoid and as careful as me.

I have never brought a cigarette or packet or lighter back to the house! Whenever I smoke when i'm out I just blame it on other people, always chew gum and spray something on myself before I go back home (not to mention wash my hands with soap) and my Mum and Dad are in bed by that time anyway.

I never smoke at home. I'm not saying my Mum doesn't know but she would have to be pretty damn crafty to notice I do.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're 19...why does it matter that you smoke? :confused:
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member

I have never brought a cigarette or packet or lighter back to the house! Whenever I smoke when i'm out I just blame it on other people, always chew gum and spray something on myself before I go back home (not to mention wash my hands with soap) and my Mum and Dad are in bed by that time anyway.

I never smoke at home. I'm not saying my Mum doesn't know but she would have to be pretty damn crafty to notice I do.

if you care that much and saw what it did to your mum, why do you smoke??
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic Beans: You may not have noticed but you passed adulthood over a year ago.

Whatever! Its your body you can do what ya want!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I bet you Mum can still smell it. :cool:

I am an ex smoker and can smell cigarette smoke from a mile away. I received a book (second hand) from Amazon and I could smell smoke on it. I asked a few others and none of them could smell anything, but I can.

I am not bothered about it, but just saying that I guarantee your Mum knows. :)

As for your dentist - who cares if they know? Beyond telling you it's staining your teeth, I doubt they really care.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well why not give up then especially if you only smoke a couple a day.

But believe me when I say she WILL be able to smell it on you. Because so few of my friends smoke nowdays, I can smell it very clearly when someone has been.

And the only way the dentist would mention it to her is if they are friends outside the surgery and he just mentions it in passing as a friend rather than as your dentist.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely as patient confidentiality applies to any healthcare professional?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    Surely as patient confidentiality applies to any healthcare professional?

Absolutely. But I am thinking of something like - being in a social situation and just offering him a cigarette in front of his mum or something like that. Not like "oh by the way I think you should know that..." And that would only be possible IF they are social outside the surgery which the OP has not suggested.

There is no way that the dentist would mention it in the surgery. Why on earth would he ?
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Your teeth are stained with only 1 or 2 a day? Get brushing! there is no reason for stained teeth from coffee,tea or smoking. I smoked 60 a day for years and drank tea all day and never had stained teeth.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Given the dates tie in with the OP's age, perhaps he was seeking reassurance that he was normal?
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hugsie wrote: »
    Given the dates tie in with the OP's age, perhaps he was seeking reassurance that he was normal?

Looking through the OP's posting history, I get the impression that the OP is a girl
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to the dentist every 3 months, they never said I was a smoker, they always asked, I have never had stained teeth.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that's shameful and f*cking hilarious!:D:D:D
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why the dentist would ever think to tell your parents and you're nineteen so will probably think they know already! but to be perfectly honest the dentist won't think about it either way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    File this thread in the "ultra paranoid" folder.

If it bothers you that much about your parents knowing you perhaps should give it up. Not a bad idea really if you currently only smoke a couple a day, knock it on the head before it takes you over.