What's your journey to work like?

Comments

• hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the new job, hope it goes well. By the way, what do you do with your cycle on the last couple of minutes walk down the road, do you leave that in a cycle rack at the tube or something?
    Thanks Daisy!

I live in a commuter town outside London. So I park my bike underneath the station viaducts in a cycle rack. Our station is a bit odd to be honest as it's a continuous bridge all the way through the town end to end. I think it's where the down dips towards the centre.

Hoping to move into London at some point in the coming 12 - 18 months.
  • vicktrickvicktrick Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I work one mile from my house so just a short walk there.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go out of the back door and walk down to the garden shed, that's where I work.

Same here, it's an absolute nightmare at times, especially if I or the misuss haven't picked up the dog poo for a couple of days,
    It's terrible getting up at crack of 10am, having a cup of coffee and a quick 'rant' on the forums, sometimes I can't get into my shed until midday,
    but then other times I am still in there at 2-3 am,
    :D
  • BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    I'm interested to know what work people do in their garden sheds!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get out of bed, walk a few yards to my study, then start work.
    I generally stop off in the kitchen first to make a cuppa. Truth to tell, I would prefer to have a normal job where I actually meet people, but I try to make it as much like a proper job as possible by sleeping with my secretary.
  • TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 minute drive. This is the closest I have ever lived to where I work. I hope I never have to drive a long distance to work ever again.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which job I've got 3?

One is a walk though a my housing estate into some woodlands then back into another housing estate then into town.

Another is drive across town (all town stuff)

Another is... well let's get into that one.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    8 minute walk to the bus stop, about 10 minutes on the bus and couple of minutes walk the other end. I always leave almost an hour to get to work though.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 15 minute drive that takes about 40 minutes.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather dodgy, as I have to walk past all the 'travestis' of Avda Indianópolis.
    You get some interesting 'scenery' on your way to work then! :D
    The girls say they can not walk alone or in groups because drivers stop to address them. "It's common to see transvestites nude or just panties. Before there were at the schoolhouse door, but now straightforward," said Camila Santos, 19, a student of 1st year.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is a 10 minute walk up the high road. I can stroll out of my house at 8.50 and be there for 9am and still not be late.
  • hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mines a 25 minute walk, passing through a cemetery and then across a playing field. Fine going to work although a bit spooky at 10 o'clock when I come home and the field can be an adventure in the dark because not everyone picks up after there dogs, luckily I have avoided that but I feel its only a matter of time.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    Thanks Daisy!

I live in a commuter town outside London. So I park my bike underneath the station viaducts in a cycle rack. Our station is a bit odd to be honest as it's a continuous bridge all the way through the town end to end. I think it's where the down dips towards the centre.

Hoping to move into London at some point in the coming 12 - 18 months.

Your welcome, thanks for the information.

I have been watching the BBC2 programme on monday nights, The Tube, great programme to watch but you do see people sometimes using cycle racks outside some of the stations but not all, thought that's what you did. In other parts of the country, the trains are not as manic as the tube and people take their cycles on board with them where there are cycle racks just by the doors. Going by how busy LUG is, I think you must just about get yourself on board never mind your cycle:)
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be an hour's commute either way (walk, bus, train) and I did that for 10 years!

Now it's a 35 minute walk each way or just over 20 minutes door to door (a 10 minute walk, 2 stops on Tube)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    It takes me between 1:30 and 1:40 usually, using 4 different media of transportation.
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 mins on my mountain bike.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 40 minutes' cycle, variable depending on headwind or tailwind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I do a split shift so when I first go 2 work in the morning it takes about 12 mins but when I go back again at 2pm it takes about 20mins as the roads are slightly busier.
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 hours each way. Drive-walk-train-train-tube-tube-walk. Done it for over 10 years now so kind of second nature, but can suck sometimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Punkchick wrote: »
    2 hours each way. Drive-walk-train-train-tube-tube-walk. Done it for over 10 years now so kind of second nature, but can suck sometimes.
    Wow. I don't think I could do this, and for so long. The 1:30 thing has been going on for 3,5 years now and it's really bad for my levels of stress. I feel like I barely have any of the day to myself.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5min walk to train station & about 25mins on the train.If i was to get the bus (which is a last resort) it would be a 5min walk to the bus stop & about a 40 - 50min journey.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    30 - 40 min (depending on wind direction) bike ride that starts with farm tracks and ends in a city centre.
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    45 minute drive, first 15 mins is unremarkable but then followed by a drive down the River Clyde to the "tail of the bank" with views over the mountains of Argyll and Ben Lomond, then a drive past the empty shipyards of Greenocks ship-buolding heritage, followed by a final 10 minutes of unremarkable housing scheme commuting till I reach the back end of Greenock / Gourock..I have the option on a sunny day of a slightly longer countryside drive through the winding single track roads of Renfrewshire and Inverclyde. sadly I have been doing the commute for so long I seldom notice the scenery
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    I'm interested to know what work people do in their garden sheds!

read the paper and sleep :D
  • Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mines about 5mins by car but mostly walk it.

My hubby works in same building and drives (he goes on visits a lot so car has to be there at work) so if weathers bad or im running late i go with him, other than that i put my joggers and trainers on and walk (we have showers at work and i keep spare work clothes there)

I start at 8am but like to be there for 7 so i can shower and have a cuppa before i start.