Cat that had been knocked down.

sands11sands11 Posts: 700
Forum Member
✭✭
I was driving home today, been out Christmas shopping and was on quite a busy road when I saw something in the middle of the road.
I knew immediately it was a cat, my sister and daughter were in the car and they had seen it too. So we turned round and went back.

It was a cat that had been hit by a car, it's a 50mph speed limit on the road and cars were flying past just ignoring it. All I could do was pull in and as soon as there was a gap in traffic run to the middle of the road, pick it up and run back.

Sadly it was dead, so I just lay it in the grass at the side, there was no collar so no number to contact anyone. We left it there so hopefully the owners could find it if they are looking.

Now I feel really upset, but I really don't know what we could have done. Was it the right thing to do, is there anyone you should notify. :(

Comments

• MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how sad, well done for picking the wee thing up :(

The only thing you could do realistically would be to take it to a vet to see if it had a microchip, or possibly notify the council to 'clear it up', they should scan for chips also.

Poor little mog, RIP :(
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Were there any houses nearby? You could have tried asking at the nearest one. I know people quite often don't know anything about their neighbours, but if you have told one person, and anyone goes knocking on doors looking for the cat, theres a chance they will at least find out what's happened. A cat of ours was killed right outside our house, and we were grateful to the person who knocked to tell us. I also found a cat in similar circumstances to you, and knocked at the nearest house. The owner was inside and had no clue, and whilst nobody likes to be the bearer of bad tidings, I was glad I had told her, and so was she. Another time I found an obviously pedigree cat, and none of the neighbours knew where it belonged. Someone must have been missing it, but I don't know if they ever found out. There's only so much you can do, though, and at least you did the right thing by taking it off the road, bless you.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw, that's awful. :(

My cat got run-over by a car as well, which disgustingly just drove on. However, despite a smashed skull, various broken bones and only given a year or so to live, she pulled through excellently and has been with us for six years since then. She is now 15!

You did everything you could, don't be too upset! xx
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.Thanks for being so kind.I've had cats that have been run over and it's heartbreaking.:( Bless the poor sweetheart and give the owners strength.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    My puss 'Bobby' was hit by a car,
    luckily though he survived...after £3000 op.....no, not insured,:cry:
    he is now though:D
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good! ;)
  • carolineglasgowcarolineglasgow Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was so kind of you....... poor little cat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely did the right thing and good job you managed to do it safely. I drive on a dual carriage way to work and I avoided a dead cat as I couldn't stop to move it so I simply I avoided hitting it. I upset me all day, as I wondered about the cat and it's owners and how i'd feel. I'm sure the owners will be grateful to find her/him in one piece. I hope the cat died a quick death.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I was once coming home from work when I turned round a corner and the traffic just stopped. I could see a cat lying in the road and a police car and a couple of other cars at the side with people standing around. Poor animal, it really upset me seeing that. I went home that evening and gave my cat a big hug.

I have had a couple of cats get run over, one the dustbin men found him and brought him home and the other one was knocked down and the car drove off, the car behind saw it happen and stopped and him and his girlfriend were about to take it to the vet when a neighbour came home and recognised the cat and came to tell us. You did the right thing, at least off the road someone has the chance to find him and he won't be flattened.