First glimpse of the future King

124»

Comments

• neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the notion of getting to know him quite sweet rather than slapping a name on it regardless. I have heard a few times of parents settling on a different name after the child is born - because "he just didn't seem like a Jeffrey".

Also I would imagine that if they have actually decided, they would want to tell their nearest and dearest the name face to face first and they haven't had all the important faces to face :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought they don't name the baby straightaway to prevent people who had a baby on the same day copying. Not sure if that's true though, I think I heard it years ago.

However, whatever he is called, I'm sure it will be in the top 2 baby names in the next 12 months!
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I've always thought they don't name the baby straightaway to prevent people who had a baby on the same day copying. Not sure if that's true though, I think I heard it years ago.

However, whatever he is called, I'm sure it will be in the top 2 baby names in the next 12 months!

On the other hand some who may have already have been thinking of calling their kid that may now change their minds
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the other hand some who may have already have been thinking of calling their kid that may now change their minds

Which would matter because?
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not going to be king.

We will abolish the royal family by then.

The queen will be one of the last we pay for.

Its been going for over 1000 years. It does make me laugh that in this day and age some people just think its going to end just like that.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does any body else think not giving no name a name is getting cruel? Actually darling we didn't name you for several days to prolong media interest.

Who doesn't want that charming family story.

No name might start to stick. Given the options George after the blue Peter turtle or James after it's great uncle no name might be the best option.

Or, they do know the name but want to keep it private and just 'theirs' for a little while.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Its been going for over 1000 years. It does make me laugh that in this day and age some people just think its going to end just like that.

Not just like that, but it would be odd to pretend that social attitudes haven't changed in the last 1000 years. The country is very different to how it was even a 100 years ago, even 50.

My son and his friends are all around 20. All well educated, bright men going places - among them future barristers, journalists, politicians etc. In that entire group there is one boy who had monarchist leanings but even he's starting to change his mind now that he's at university and exposed to opinions that differ to those of his family.

I see the same pattern repeated with my nephews and nieces and their friends. One girl loves the whole thing but she loves her fashion and pop starts and stuff like that, so she's only really responding to people she's seeing all over the media. She's not political and she might well stay at the ooo and ahhh stage all her life. But she is hugely outnumbered by the other young people I know.

Most interestingly, however, an ex-army life long monarchist did a complete u-turn around Katie and Billy's wedding. It was like his eyes suddenly opened to what they really are - state celebrities. He is old school and took it badly at first. It's not easy to explain but he was kind of upset. Now he's a republican and you ask him about the royals and he'll tell you that he's sick to death of seeing that woman's teeth (he means Waity).

So yes, wind back even 100 years and very little of the above would apply. Fast forward 50 or a 100 years and who knows what the country will look like.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didnt they or their staff fix in the car seat beforehand and then when they came out the first time the car could have driven up and they could have then placed the baby in the car seat and driven off after the photocall, instead of all this in and out business!!???:D:D

Seems more sensible to me!!
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Why didnt they or their staff fix in the car seat beforehand and then when they came out the first time the car could have driven up and they could have then placed the baby in the car seat and driven off after the photocall, instead of all this in and out business!!???:D:D

Seems more sensible to me!!

I'm sure you can work it out.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does any body else think not giving no name a name is getting cruel? Actually darling we didn't name you for several days to prolong media interest.

Who doesn't want that charming family story.

No name might start to stick. Given the options George after the blue Peter turtle or James after it's great uncle no name might be the best option.

Why is it cruel? Many people decide on the name of their baby before the birth but change their minds when the baby is born. i.e he doesn't look like a Theodore more like a Sid!
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    Which would matter because?

So they are not thought of as following The Royals or know the name will become very popular and don't want their little George to be sat in class another 10 George's
    Forum Member
    So they are not thought of as following The Royals or know the name will become very popular and don't want their little George to be sat in class another 10 George's

Whatever name they choose, whether today or next month, it will be copied by many unimaginative parents.
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Whatever name they choose, whether today or next month, it will be copied by many unimaginative parents.

I agree if was already going to call my kid (if I was going to have one of course) that there is no way I would then for the reasons gave

1) I wouldn't anyone to think was following the Royals
    2) The name would be far to popular
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny to think that in all probability Henry VIII's last two "wives" were named after his first :)
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Funny to think that in all probability Henry VIII's last two "wives" were named after his first :)
    16th century Catherines could hardly be named after 21st centruy Catherine.
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    16th century Catherines could hardly be named after 21st centruy Catherine.

:confused:
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:
    oops I read it wrong! :o:p
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    Some women don't go flat straight away.
    My stomach has not returned to pre baby flat and my youngest was born 30 years ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnitaS wrote: »
    And now they've gone back in.

they put their left leg out, shook it all about did the` Okey Cokey` & went back in again. :)
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See I don't get that cos I would go the other way.

I think Kate and William are fab and she has great taste and she always looks gorgeous.

But I just would never want to rush to buy the frock she was wearing yesterday however gorgeous it was. And the same thing with her child's name.

I can see why folks would be influenced by her general style but to directly copy specific things is just sad.

I think you're right - they've just got no imagination.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    oops I read it wrong! :o:p

Not 'alf :D
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's strange to think George might stop being a granddad's name again.