Too many 'issue' s/ls in ED

BBKINGREALITYBBKINGREALITY Posts: 3,084
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I like ED a lot but its drama feels a bit imbalanced. Its been non-stop with the emotional blackmail (Laurels alcoholism, Vanessas cancer, Vals HIV, Alicias sexual assault, Andys depression, Nicola's miscarriage).

I haven't cried 1ce. I 'feel' more with corrie & some EE characters tbh. Is this just me? :confused:..

Comments

• Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer to see lots going on in Emmerdale with plenty of stories, rather than just one story. Although I am not really a fan of the Vanessa story, considering I am not a fan of Vanessa. I think the other stories you have mentioned have been good though. One good thing about Emmerdale is, they try to include all soap characters and give most soap characters a story, not just the producer's favourites.:)
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that's interesting me at the moment is Laurel's alcoholism s/l which I hope is not going to be brought to a swift ending and in a couple of weeks time it's all forgotten and you will see Laurel back in the pub...Unfortunately this seems to happen a lot in all soaps a big build up and then that's it it's all over ......
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like ED a lot but its drama feels a bit imbalanced. Its been non-stop with the emotional blackmail (Laurels alcoholism, Vanessas cancer, Vals HIV, Alicias sexual assault, Andys depression, Nicola's miscarriage).

I haven't cried 1ce. I 'feel' more with corrie & some EE characters tbh. Is this just me? :confused:..

I don't have a problem with it at all and don't think about the story lines being issued led - I just watch it for what it is - a fictional TV programme. I haven't cried once either but again I don't have a problem with that.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

... and Belle's mental health issues, Lachlan's mental health issues, Pearls gambling addiction, Darren's HIV, Emma's psycho problems, and whatever Aaron's problem is. In one small village, this is very imbalanced
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are alot going on right now . Laurel's storyline is superb though.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    I would prefer to see lots going on in Emmerdale with plenty of stories, rather than just one story. Although I am not really a fan of the Vanessa story, considering I am not a fan of Vanessa. I think the other stories you have mentioned have been good though. One good thing about Emmerdale is, they try to include all soap characters and give most soap characters a story, not just the producer's favourites.:)
    Yes I agree very much with this.

And after all, when there isn't much going on, or there's a lot of filler, people cry 'Boring'! They can't win really.
  • BBKINGREALITYBBKINGREALITY Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It feels contrived though when its consistently pushed down our throats. I've always empathized with corries characters (even under blackburn). It might be because I'm a new ED fan wereas I've always watched corrie. Plus corrie is northern which is prob y I have a deeper connection to it, hard to say really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... and Belle's mental health issues, Lachlan's mental health issues, Pearls gambling addiction, Darren's HIV, Emma's psycho problems, and whatever Aaron's problem is. In one small village, this is very imbalanced

And ridiculously unbelievable. It's like someone hasn't a clue what to do with it and is throwing in anything they can think of - twice in some cases.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    But a lot of the "issue" stories mentioned have finished already or are stories rather than "educational issues" - it's only really Laurel's alcoholism, Aaron's self harm and Alicia's assault that are still running because they've not been resolved yet. Vanessa doesn't have cancer, Nicola, Andy, Pearl and Belle are recovering.

You could make everything seem like an issue story if you wanted but that's simplifying it.

Emmerdale has a great selection of stories for many characters - that's what I like about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It feels contrived though when its consistently pushed down our throats. I've always empathized with corries characters (even under blackburn). It might be because I'm a new ED fan wereas I've always watched corrie. Plus corrie is northern which is prob y I have a deeper connection to it, hard to say really.

Emmerdale is northern too.
  • TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only soap going overboard with issue storylines is the one that have announced their latest in a very long line this morning. And they can't even do them any kind of justice.

Emmerdale is absolutely fine.
  • MavisConsuelaMavisConsuela Posts: 1,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really been enjoying Emmerdale lately, nice mix of long running and short term storylines, with comedy and drama mixed together. Only story that hasn't really grabbed me recently is the Rishi/Georgia storyline because I can't see a purpose for it other than maybe the actress who plays Georgia wants to be full time now.
  • DaktaraDaktara Posts: 268
    Forum Member

I think you've just made me realise why I've been preferring Emmerdale over other soaps just recently.

I like how they seem to show a mix of characters and storylines rather than the show being dominated by any individual ones. It feels like I'm tuning in to catch up with what's been going on in the village as a whole, which I like. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daktara wrote: »
    I think you've just made me realise why I've been preferring Emmerdale over other soaps just recently.

I like how they seem to show a mix of characters and storylines rather than the show being dominated by any individual ones. It feels like I'm tuning in to catch up with what's been going on in the village as a whole, which I like. :)

This is one of the reasons I like Emmerdale too. If there's a storyline that I don't like I know there'll be others that I do like.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Lots of other spin-off stories to come too -
    Rob's hiring of a hit-man to kill Chas (short story I think this week), Emma gets back with James - another story for Chas!! And Lachlan's daddy turns up at Home Farm to stir up more muck!
    Not exactly issue-related topics! More like soapy-stuff!:D
  • rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Yes I agree very much with this.

And after all, when there isn't much going on, or there's a lot of filler, people cry 'Boring'! They can't win really.

Generally agree with both of these comments but there was a week last month where it felt like everyone was under the black cloud of Blackburn again. Flitting between the misery of Vanessa's scare, Val's HIV, Aaron's problems and Belle's troubles it got a bit much. It's all about the balance though, I usually notice a lot of humour in Emmerdale which on the whole helps to balance the serious storylines for me so when they get it right, it doesn't matter if there's too much or not enough going on.
  • GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of the physical and mental health stories, it's not THAT unbelievable that so many people in one small village would have health problems or scares but in soaps they are always turned into a huge crisis for dramatic effect so it does get draining -eg Aaron's attempted suicide and accident, within a few weeks of each other.

Has it been confirmed that Lachlan is mentally ill?He might just be a nasty little so and so - or mentally ill AND bad.
  • Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlotte is acting the shit out of this storyline but I just don't care about Laurel.

I enjoy the overlap of stories and yes there has been a lot going on but I prefer that to stories in isolation or someone's problems not being mentioned until it's suddenly brought up. They have taken ages to set up this Laurel storyline which I appreciate. With Aaron I think it's unrealistic that he'd suddenly be fine. People can and do stop self-harming but being back in the place where he 'killed' Jackson and now with the guilt of Katie's death would be very difficult. In other soaps it's like characters have to take turns but for the most part Emmerdale time things well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auds77 wrote: »
    Charlotte is acting the shit out of this storyline but I just don't care about Laurel.

I enjoy the overlap of stories and yes there has been a lot going on but I prefer that to stories in isolation or someone's problems not being mentioned until it's suddenly brought up. They have taken ages to set up this Laurel storyline which I appreciate. With Aaron I think it's unrealistic that he'd suddenly be fine. People can and do stop self-harming but being back in the place where he 'killed' Jackson and now with the guilt of Katie's death would be very difficult. In other soaps it's like characters have to take turns but for the moust part Emmerdale time things well.

But do we really need to have Aaron involved in a story which is going to exacerbate his problems. It feels like an overload. They could have kept him as a background character or shown him trying to deal with his issues, without piling more extreme situations on him. They could even have given him a positive storyline, something that would show him having some awareness of how to deal with his problems.

I agree re Laurel - the build up was very good and Charlotte Bellamy is playing a blinder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But do we really need to have Aaron involved in a story which is going to exacerbate his problems. It feels like an overload. They could have kept him as a background character or shown him trying to deal with his issues, without piling more extreme situations on him. They could even have given him a positive storyline, something that would show him having some awareness of how to deal with his problems.

I agree re Laurel - the build up was very good and Charlotte Bellamy is playing a blinder.

I think with the running though they were trying to show an alternative to cutting, which is what most people think of. However he could have been reintroduced slowly but I assume they got Danny back on the promise of a big storyline.

It would be nice to see him happy & settled with someone who won't mess him around. Jackson was great for him in the beginning but the post accident stuff was such a downer. Hopefully they are working towards some degree of him giving a damn about himself because I think he's just so happy with anything from Robert because he doesn't see himself as being deserving more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auds77 wrote: »
    I think with the running though they were trying to show an alternative to cutting, which is what most people think of. However he could have been reintroduced slowly but I assume they got Danny back on the promise of a big storyline.

It would be nice to see him happy & settled with someone who won't mess him around. Jackson was great for him in the beginning but the post accident stuff was such a downer. Hopefully they are working towards some degree of him giving a damn about himself because I think he's just so happy with anything from Robert because he doesn't see himself as being deserving more.
    I agree that the running is a form of self harm, but I would rather not have seen the character plunged into a major story of this sort. Him rebuilding his life and trying to treat his mental health problems could have been a good story. I know only too well that there's no quick fix for mental health illnesses, but at the same time it's not always relentless bad news and distress-but that seems to be the route they want to take with Aaron
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the running is a form of self harm, but I would rather not have seen the character plunged into a major story of this sort. Him rebuilding his life and trying to treat his mental health problems could have been a good story. I know only too well that there's no quick fix for mental health illnesses, but at the same time it's not always relentless bad news and distress-but that seems to be the route they want to take with Aaron

I agree about a quick fix, it'd be insulting if he was suddenly fine. I do hope they'll have him making steps towards recovery but it doesn't help that he's not confiding in anyone. I miss the old Paddy & Aaron relationship and hopefully the show will have them reconnecting more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aarons 1 of my favourite characters in ED after 2 years of startin watchin. He seems 'real' to me, down to earth & self aware of the madness around him. The drama in ED at times seems so far-fetched that I struggle to connect which frustrates me because its the modesty about ED that I've come to appreciate since I started watchin in late 2013.

It shares a similiar 'warmth' to corrie with its humble setting & modest folk like zak, cain. I haven't missed an ep since, I just wish it toned down the histrionics. Its not EE, its better than that ;-).
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    For those that mentioned Belle - to be fair, she's gone quiet recently as she's currently in recovery after dealing with her relapse.

Also, the Aaron and Andy issues are both meant to stem from the Robert and Katie storyline, it's not really an 'issue storyline,' more a realistic emotional reaction from the characters involved.

I like the continuation of Val's HIV storyline as we're seeing the medical side of her condition rather than it just being about her sex life. I don't like that she pulled nasty stunts on Darren, but I'm finding it interesting seeing her conflicting emotions about her HIV - on the one hand, she was trying to be a role model to educate people about the condition and to encourage acceptance, but on the other, she'd go to extreme lengths to prevent the people she cares about from suffering like how she is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    For those that mentioned Belle - to be fair, she's gone quiet recently as she's currently in recovery after dealing with her relapse.

Also, the Aaron and Andy issues are both meant to stem from the Robert and Katie storyline, it's not really an 'issue storyline,' more a realistic emotional reaction from the characters involved.

I like the continuation of Val's HIV storyline as we're seeing the medical side of her condition rather than it just being about her sex life. I don't like that she pulled nasty stunts on Darren, but I'm finding it interesting seeing her conflicting emotions about her HIV - on the one hand, she was trying to be a role model to educate people about the condition and to encourage acceptance, but on the other, she'd go to extreme lengths to prevent the people she cares about from suffering like how she is.
    I'm curious why people say corrie & EE is bad atm. How can u tell if a soap is good or not or whether a storyline is written well :confused: .