Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Negotiations between Burnley and Liverpool over a transfer fee for Danny Ings look set to go to tribunal, according to reports.

The 22-year-old moved to Anfield on the expiry of his contract with the Clarets.

But due to his being under the age of 24, Burnley are entitled to a fee to compensate for their role in his development.

Liverpool’s attempts to settle the agreement beyond the jurisdiction of an independent panel have so far failed.

On the situation, Mike Whalley of ESPN writes: “Liverpool have offered around £6 million for the England under-21 international, while the Clarets are looking for a fee of closer to £10 million.

“They accepted a bid of £12 million from Tottenham for Ings in June, and that would be taken into account by a tribunal committee when setting a fee.

“It means that Liverpool face the prospect of paying substantially more for the player than they had hoped.”

A tribunal will take precedent and the player’s ability into account when deciding on a fee.

However, while Tottenham Hotspur’s supposed £12 million valuation could hold sway in this situation, the Reds could argue the initial £3.5 million Chelsea paid for Daniel Sturridge following the expiry of his Manchester City contract in 2010 as a further benchmark.

Sturridge is now one of Liverpool’s key figures, having scored 35 goals in 58 Premier League games since his move to Anfield in 2013.

Reds bosses can argue that Sturridge had more talent and higher potential than Ings at the time.

Despite this impasse, Ings is set to join up with his new team-mates for pre-season training on Wednesday, following a short holiday.

LINK

well on that basis, why sell RS now for £40 m when we could get £30m in 2 years time anyway.
  • Seymour ButtsSeymour Butts Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why Tottenham's bid should be taken into account. Im still not sure why they even made the bid when the players contract was expiring. It has nothing to do with how much liverpool should pay for him.

I'm pretty sure the figure will be between 7-8m in the end
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,480
    Forum Member
    Tomorrows papers are buzzing with the news that Sterling is refusing to go on tour with Liverpool this weekend to Oz and the Far East. Furthermore City are gathering for a £50m bid for him.

Why in hell would ANY club want to sign the little s**t??
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrows papers are buzzing with the news that Sterling is refusing to go on tour with Liverpool this weekend to Oz and the Far East. Furthermore City are gathering for a £50m bid for him.

He should be told in no uncertain terms his going whether he likes it or not.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because he's a very good player and could go on to be a great player.

Suarez did worse I'm afraid yet we all defended it. Bit of double standards I think.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Because he's a very good player and could go on to be a great player.

Suarez did worse I'm afraid yet we all defended it. Bit of double standards I think.

Did Suarez go on strike? Did he refuse to do what the club asked him? I know what you are saying but there's a difference between a petulant outburst of behaviour on the pitch and a considered snub of the club that pays your wages. In any case is there any substance to this rumour at this point? Personally I'd be very surprised.
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Did Suarez go on strike? Did he refuse to do what the club asked him? I know what you are saying but there's a difference between a petulant outburst of behaviour on the pitch and a considered snub of the club that pays your wages. In any case is there any substance to this rumour at this point? Personally I'd be very surprised.

If City bid £50m for him it wont really matter but he isn't painting himself in the best light and it only adds fuel to his growing rep of being difficult.

Liverpool will be very much better off when he goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »

He did go on strike. It's not very well known but that is the reason they made him train with the reserves. It's not just that though is it, there was also the racial stuff and the biting stuff which he was also defended for.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Manquillo loan deal cut short.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Manquillo loan deal cut short.

I think the new deal for Wisdom means he takes Manquilo's place in the squad. Also, are there not rumours of a permanent transfer to Benfica for him?

The Sterling saga: it's a case of when rather than if a transfer happens. I don't think I'd want him on tour anyway with his moaning and grumping and destroying team spirit before a ball is even kicked with any seriousness.

There also seems to be a bit more persistent noise about Benteke again. I reckon that's another when rather than if situation ( or maybe just a 'how much' rather than if situation). I wish I could say the same about the Pedro or Lacazette rumours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did go on strike. It's not very well known but that is the reason they made him train with the reserves. It's not just that though is it, there was also the racial stuff and the biting stuff which he was also defended for.

Surely going on strike is not even turning up. I don't remember Suarez not showing up for training or refusing to take part in contractual obligations.
    Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 52s53 seconds ago
    Raheem Sterling failed to attend training this morning after phoning in sick. Liverpool are refusing to comment on his absence.

I really don't see what Sterlings problem is. His a professional who is employed by LFC and has to go to work.

His suitor can take him away from this place of work as soon as they pay what the asking price and if sterling wants to blame anyone for still being at LFC then he needs to speak to City who are not getting the deal done as quick as he wants.

Its absurd to think the player should be excused or given special dispensation just because he wants to leave. His a Liverpool player and has the same obligations as every other player.

The fact he hasn't even put in a transfer request yet believes he should be allowed to not travel is laughable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Surely going on strike is not even turning up. I don't remember Suarez not showing up for training or refusing to take part in contractual obligations.

I really don't see what Sterlings problem is. His a professional who is employed by LFC and has to go to work.

His suitor can take him away from this place of work as soon as they pay what the asking price and if sterling wants to blame anyone for still being at LFC then he needs to speak to City who are not getting the deal done as quick as he wants.

Its absurd to think the player should be excused or given special dispensation just because he wants to leave. His a Liverpool player and has the same obligations as every other player.

The fact he hasn't even put in a transfer request yet believes he should be allowed to not travel is laughable.

Suarez told the club he wouldn't play in any preseason games until his future was resolved. Very similar to Sterling. He basically went on strike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez told the club he wouldn't play in any preseason games until his future was resolved. Very similar to Sterling. He basically went on strike.

Not the same situation at all considering he did infact play pre-season games and did not once not turn up for training or not go on tour.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member

I have to challenge this nonsense. He turned up every day - and trained with the reserves or by himself - that is not going on strike - and in any case if we are honest he had a point. The club had put a 40m buy out clause in his contract, a club (who at that time were better than LFC) had bid over 40m and the club refused to let him talk to that club. Who's out of order there?

Mind you I did support the club in their stance as they knew what a phenomenal talent he was and did not want to lose him so twisted and turned to make it so he stayed - good on them - but he was right to not be happy over it. SG of course also played a big part in persuading him to stay - and Luis now says he is thankful for that.

Please do not ever compare RS - who incidentally has now phoned in sick this morning and not turned up for training - to LS. LS once played in South America on a Thursday night and in Liverpool on a Saturday lunch time such was his work ethic and attitude to doing his best at all times for the club he played for. He often did extra training, wanted to play every match (even the minor competitions) and never wanted to come off - the man was and is in love with football just as much now he is a superstar as when he was a street kid in Uruguay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to challenge this nonsense. He turned up every day - and trained with the reserves or by himself - that is not going on strike - and in any case if we are honest he had a point. The club had put a 40m buy out clause in his contract, a club (who at that time were better than LFC) had bid over 40m and the club refused to let him talk to that club. Who's out of order there?

Mind you I did support the club in their stance as they knew what a phenomenal talent he was and did not want to lose him so twisted and turned to make it so he stayed - good on them - but he was right to not be happy over it. SG of course also played a big part in persuading him to stay - and Luis now says he is thankful for that.

Please do not ever compare RS - who incidentally has now phoned in sick this morning and not turned up for training - to LS. LS once played in South America on a Thursday night and in Liverpool on a Saturday lunch time such was his work ethic and attitude to doing his best at all times for the club he played for. He often did extra training, wanted to play every match (even the minor competitions) and never wanted to come off - the man was and is in love with football just as much now he is a superstar as when he was a street kid in Uruguay.

Just a minor discrepancy in I think Suarez believed there was a £40 mil buy out but the reality was it wasn't really than hence the player and his agent not being able to challenge Liverpool's stance in not letting him to talk to Arsenal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine guys you all defend Suarez for the same things. Just because he's a much better player. Just stinks of double standards. At least I admit I'm fickle when it comes to football. I'd have defended Suarez for eating babies as long as he did the business on the pitch!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine guys you all defend Suarez for the same things. Just because he's a much better player. Just stinks of double standards. At least I admit I'm fickle when it comes to football. I'd have defended Suarez for eating babies as long as he did the business on the pitch!

I don't think anyone defended Suarez and thought it was quite right that the manager sent him to train on his own while he was being disruptive.
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone defended Suarez and thought it was quite right that the manager sent him to train on his own while he was being disruptive.

That was the point - with Suarez in the mental state he was in then it was best that he was not around the squad - I think it was more the club who made him train alone rather than Luis own decision - but it was 100% right and worked well for all concerned.

I actually think the same is true of Sterling now - for him to go on the Far East tour would not be good for anyone - Raheem himself or anyone else around the club - the other players and the manager. I am surprised the club seems willing to have him there with them - they should tell him to remain at home and train by himself every day along with the younger players at the club.

It does still seem that BR wants to try to keep him - for me that point has long since gone and the next MCFC bid should be accepted asap - with the funds used to bid to bring in further talent. Lets just hope that is BRs public stance and that in private he has accepted the reality and wisdom of selling him - the amount of vitriol he is getting from the fans is unprecedented in my memory. I know of hardly anyone who wants him to stay.
    Forum Member
    Just a minor discrepancy in I think Suarez believed there was a £40 mil buy out but the reality was it wasn't really than hence the player and his agent not being able to challenge Liverpool's stance in not letting him to talk to Arsenal.

Neither of us has seen the contract so we do not know for certain - my understanding was it was a bit unclear and so the club were able to exploit that ambiguity. However, Luis and his agent certainly believed the clause existed and when he signed another contract in the autumn there was no ambiguity at all and he duly went to Barca the next summer.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sterling needs to be shot of now & if rumours are true about Pedro being a possibility then I would grab that chance.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    That was the point - with Suarez in the mental state he was in then it was best that he was not around the squad - I think it was more the club who made him train alone rather than Luis own decision - but it was 100% right and worked well for all concerned.

I actually think the same is true of Sterling now - for him to go on the Far East tour would not be good for anyone - Raheem himself or anyone else around the club - the other players and the manager. I am surprised the club seems willing to have him there with them - they should tell him to remain at home and train by himself every day along with the younger players at the club.

It does still seem that BR wants to try to keep him - for me that point has long since gone and the next MCFC bid should be accepted asap - with the funds used to bid to bring in further talent. Lets just hope that is BRs public stance and that in private he has accepted the reality and wisdom of selling him - the amount of vitriol he is getting from the fans is unprecedented in my memory. I know of hardly anyone who wants him to stay.

Think BR and the club accented he will go weeks ago. They pretty much made it clear that £50m is the price they want.

I think they are right in holding out.. To be honest I think RS latest stunt is gonna work against him. Been said before and that is that FSG are no mugs. They are strong owners and won't let any player get his own way ahead of the club.

I really do think FSG will hold out for £50m or no deal. I think they should make RS travel on Sunday also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see that point but I think the club can't be in a position where a player demands to be left at home and they accept. Sterling can't dictate proceedings.

His trying to make his position untenable so the club back down on the £50 mil.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither of us has seen the contract so we do not know for certain - my understanding was it was a bit unclear and so the club were able to exploit that ambiguity. However, Luis and his agent certainly believed the clause existed and when he signed another contract in the autumn there was no ambiguity at all and he duly went to Barca the next summer.

Didn't Henry confirm that such a clause existed, some time after, unless he was on a wind up
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would keep Sterling away from the youth and reserves, Train him on his own and have him clean boots up until a time that our valuation is met or his contract ends, We do not need these distractions or influences going unchecked within our squad.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumours floating around on Twitter that we're set to appoint Gary McAllister to some kind of coaching role. I'll admit, it'd be nice to have a former Liverpool player and fan favourite on the team. This rumour also gives me the excuse to post one of my favourite ever Liverpool memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-bc0wWMNT0
This discussion has been closed.