Options

How would the UK be now under Labour?

PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
Forum Member
✭✭
Well it's been a couple of months now since the GE election and the staggering loss for Labour under Miliband. However if they had won, how would this country be now.

Would we be facing a meltdown in the financial markets and an increase in the social security bill?
Would we be facing a reversal in the good economic news we've had under the tories and Coalition for the last 5 Years?

Would we be seeing a rise in Unemployment?

I would say yes we would for all these things. The Miliband/Balls government that we luckily didn't get would have been another Labour disaster for this country.

Comments

• Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A joke
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it would be that much different in general.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Probably not much different. However the budget would be more balanced in favour of poorer people and the Scotland bill would have taken the side of the Scots and not the English establishment. Economy would be pretty much unchanged, but there would be the start of more investment instead of cuts.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not much different. However the budget would be more balanced in favour of poorer people

No £9 minimum wage under Labour, the party that supports benefits and not work.
    and the Scotland bill would have taken the side of the Scots and not the English establishment.

So they would have put Scotland's interests above the English (even though Scotland thoroughly rejected Labour at the election....)
    Economy would be pretty much unchanged, but there would be the start of more investment instead of cuts.

So higher borrowing.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly the same
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    If they had won in 2010 and been in power since then, I think we would have been in serious trouble. They couldn't run the economy properly during the boom years. They had no hope during a recession.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    Exactly the same
    as Greece.

Remember Jim Callaghan and his dealings with the IMF ?
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

So they would have put Scotland's interests above the English (even though Scotland thoroughly rejected Labour at the election....)

So higher borrowing.

There's no £9 minimum wage now either...that's not due until 2020...though I realise that playing fast and loose or at least vague with "monetary rates" comes second nature to a banker.:p
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    Well it's been a couple of months now since the GE election and the staggering loss for Labour under Miliband. However if they had won, how would this country be now.

Would we be facing a meltdown in the financial markets and an increase in the social security bill?
    Would we be facing a reversal in the good economic news we've had under the tories and Coalition for the last 5 Years?

I would say yes we would for all these things. The Miliband/Balls government that we luckily didn't get would have been another Labour disaster for this country.

Not yet - mind you I am surprised out how quickly it went wrong in Greece.

I suspect we would be facing increasing unemployment, but not for a year or two. Debt would be going up even faster. Sterling going down fuelling inflation - which in turn would mean interest rates going up

But these things take time.
  • Options
    megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However if they had won, how would this country be now.

As nothing would have changed yet, it would be similar to the situation in which we find ourselves in as I write this.

No. However, we might be hearing less enthusiasm from the financial sector if the noises coming out of Westminster were more likely to receive a thumbs up from the likes of Jol44.

I doubt it. I suspect Miliband and Balls were capable enough on the technical side.

No.
    The Miliband/Balls government that we luckily didn't get would have been another Labour disaster for this country.

I doubt that's true for the most part. Neither Miliband or Balls were likely to attempt the sort of economy that would make GGP a happy camper. For the most part, I suspect it would have been business as usual for UK PLC, with some tinkering around the edges.

The full impact on the economy of restricting in-work benefits and pushing up the minimum wage is yet to be seen. For example, it's not impossible to imagine the recently announced changes slowing the growth in employment and suppressing the retail economy. That has the potential to start a vicious circle of increasing unemployment that reinforces and feeds a general cooling of the economy.

So perhaps we would have been better off with Miliband and Balls?

Of course, my "what-if" speculation is as worthless as yours. Much better brains than ours have (I suppose) decided the economy can stand to pay higher wages and endure a slow-down in spending among the poorest among us. Time will tell.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't be any worse than it is now under the Tories.
  • Options
    megarespmegaresp Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NRG wrote: »

Sure it could. A lot worse.

Or have you somehow managed to overlook the whole Greek thing?
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NRG wrote: »

The CPI rate has been hovering around zero since February, and moved into negative territory in April for the first time on record, dropping to -0.1%. Howard Archer, chief UK economist at Global Insight, said the latest figure was good news for consumers.

"[With] earnings growth currently seeing clear improvement and employment high and rising, purchasing power is currently in rude heath," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33518710
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I doubt it would be that much different in general.

this

I've lived through lots of governments and they might tinker around the edges of life but the big changes come from technology and social attitudes

Government influence is vastly over-rated
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Under Sturgeons' thumb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    megaresp wrote: »
    I doubt that's true for the most part. Neither Miliband or Balls were likely to attempt the sort of economy that would make GGP a happy camper. For the most part, I suspect it would have been business as usual for UK PLC, with some tinkering around the edges.

The full impact on the economy of restricting in-work benefits and pushing up the minimum wage is yet to be seen. For example, it's not impossible to imagine the recently announced changes slowing the growth in employment and suppressing the retail economy. That has the potential to start a vicious circle of increasing unemployment that reinforces and feeds a general cooling of the economy.

Neither Balls or Milliband had any stomach for cuts - and they were bounced into promising those that they did. Further they were both advising Brown when he started his spending spree. Indeed much of that policy is straight out. With the reluctance to cut spending then you would see the structural deficit grow again. That in turn would hit sterling as the bond markets start to doubt that the UK would pay it's debts. Inflation would go up, and subsequently interest rates. That in turn would hit unemployment as taxes would eventually rise to support the increased payments.
    So perhaps we would have been better off with Miliband and Balls?

Not in the long term - short term you might feel better but over the long
    Of course, my "what-if" speculation is as worthless as yours. Much better brains than ours have (I suppose) decided the economy can stand to pay higher wages and endure a slow-down in spending among the poorest among us. Time will tell.

The Conservatives did seek advice before settling on the value of the NLW and the Treasury has an extensive mathematical model of the economy it uses to work out what would happen. No doubt the delay in some of benefits is precisely because this is the estimate of when the economy can sustain them.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would the UK be now under Labour?

Less nationalistic.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So higher borrowing.
    Oh please. A party that sais if you work and live in social housing your rent could rise to a level that takes a huge chunk of the wages. The Tories are the party for rich parasites not people who work hard.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    imagine if theyd won in 2010 we' be on the road to being greece. perish the thought of them being in power ever again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Under Sturgeons' thumb.
    I see that propaganda worked on alot of people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    imagine if theyd won in 2010 we' be on the road to being greece. perish the thought of them being in power ever again.
    What hyperbole!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So higher borrowing.
    The Conservatives have borrowed more than Labour ever did.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a Fairer free-er more equal and compassionate society, a far happier place to live, help not hatred for the sick and vulnerable,

basically an absence of almost everything the Conservative party represents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Conservatives have borrowed more than Labour ever did.

but not more than Labour would have done.

The Coalition and subsequently the Conservative government would always borrow until the deficit was eradicated. (PSBR in surplus)

Now estimated at 2019/2020

If people are moaning now about austerity - can you imaging what the cuts would have been had the government immediately made the PSBR a surplus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but not more than Labour would have done.

The Coalition and subsequently the Conservative government would always borrow until the deficit was eradicated. (PSBR in surplus)

Now estimated at 2019/2020

If people are moaning now about austerity - can you imaging what the cuts would have been had the government immediately made the PSBR a surplus.
    How do you know not more than Labour would have done?