School Uniforms???

TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Isnt it about time, after all these decades, that we abolished this archaic nonsense???

It just seems a very un-necessary expenditure for families now in this day of economic instability!! Why do parents have to fork out so much now on school uniforms is beyond me!! Why cant kids go to school now in normal everyday clothes rather than in school uniforms??

And anyway, the way, that the kids wear their uniforms now, they might just as well go to school in normal clothes!!

As if, wearing a uniform to school makes them learn better!!!!!:D:D:D

It just seems to me to be so out of date now!!:eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think school uniforms are a good thing, it minimises the chances of being bullied for having the 'wrong' logo on your clothing.
    At least with uniforms, if there are any logos or badges, everyone will have the same logos or badges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all agreed at sixth form how much cheaper and easier it was to have a school uniform every day rather than having the pressure of wearing something fashionable and different. In the long run, non-uniform would be much more expensive and lead to perhaps more discrimination on what other's are wearing or whether someone wore something two days in a row etc etc... It really is like that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't know where you buy your kids uniforms from but the ones I get are definetly not more expensive than normal everyday clothes. I can get a pair of hard wearing, easy iron boys school trousers for £4 at George, I'd be completely broke if I had to fork out for decent jeans etc.

School uniforms are a great idea! :p In fact I wish they had a uniform for staff too, I hate shopping for work clothes.
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    school uniforms should stay

bullying is bad enough in schools already without kids being bullied because they dont have a logo on their trainers/tshirt/trousers etc !!!
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet, everything seems fine in the USA and other countries where schoolkids dont wear school uniforms!!!:eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    And yet, everything seems fine in the USA and other countries where schoolkids dont wear school uniforms!!!:eek::eek:

Yes because a uniform would ruin their gangster image.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    i don't know where you buy your kids uniforms from but the ones I get are definetly not more expensive than normal everyday clothes. I can get a pair of hard wearing, easy iron boys school trousers for £4 at George, I'd be completely broke if I had to fork out for decent jeans etc.

School uniforms are a great idea! :p In fact I wish they had a uniform for staff too, I hate shopping for work clothes.

I dont have any kids that I buy school uniform for!! The only kid I have is 23 years old and no longer in school!!!!:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What will the poster Dream Stuffing talk about if this comes to pass?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But most places that don't have uniforms in schools have always been like that, or have been like that for a very long time, suddenly changing the concept now, in this country would cause chaos!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated wearing a tie to school.

But now I don't have to, so I don't care.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SeeEmma wrote: »
    Yes because a uniform would ruin their gangster image.:D

:confused:

There are some private schools here that do have uniforms but mostly there's not a uniform policy. What we do have is restrictions on certain things such as clothing that could be identified as gang colors. That's the case though at all sorts of events for adults too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Most schools now have basic colours that can be bought very cheaply in the supermarkets.

It probably works out far cheaper to kit your kids out in uniform than it does to have them all compete in a fashioon war and ruin their best clothes at school.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't make a difference either way.

I mean, I hate when teachers say "You must wear school uniform properly to succeed" so basically... what they are saying is that, If I come in with a hoodie and everyone does, that we will fail in school and life... pathetic.

It makes no difference, you won't be less or more intelligent for wearing your uniform/own clothes. And the fact we needed to do out top buttons up.... and we werent allowed to wear coloured scarves or coats etc.... what the hell does colour of clothing got to do with success rate...

What a load of bull.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

""seems"" to work .... so you dont know for sure?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have any kids that I buy school uniform for!! The only kid I have is 23 years old and no longer in school!!!!:D:D:D

Ahh that explains your ignorance. '':D:D:D''
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter started a new school this term and I found the uniform to be quite expensive. The sweatshirts with logo are £15 each (needs at least 2) Polo shirts with logo were about £12.99 each (needed about 4) and then you still have to buy trousers, which for a 14 year old aren't as easy to get hold of in Tesco/Asda as they are for primary school age kids. The (luckily optional) school tracksuit is £50!!!

That said, it's still cheaper than it would be with a non uniform school, especially for a teenager wanting to keep up with their mates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I have a general dislike of most uniforms, but as I don't have kids, my opinion is hardly relevant.

Children in most European countries don't wear uniforms, and their schools are said to be higher-achieving and less violent than ours.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Getting rid of school uniform is only ever going to create problems.

Right now it's a simple question of whether the kid is in uniform or not. End of.

If uniform was abolished every teacher would be forced to audit the dress of every kid in the school on an individual basis and there would, inevitably, be cases where an item of clothing that one teacher found to be acceptable would be criticised by another teacher which'd lead to conflict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ""seems"" to work .... so you dont know for sure?

I KNOW it works, because I used to live in the USA and we never had to buy school uniforms for my son when he went to school over there!!!!:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I KNOW it works, because I used to live in the USA and we never had to buy school uniforms for my son when he went to school over there!!!!:D:D

you should write "i know" then ;)

& theres no bullying over there over what clothes people wear?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The things, bullying over here is becoming more and more rife in schools now, anyway, and its becoming a major problem now even despite the fact that our kids wear uniforms!!!!:eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be stupid to get rid of school uniforms. Shirts, trousers & skirts are not that expensive to buy. It's the school blazers/sweaters that are more costly. Surely parents would save A LOT of money buying a couple of shirts and trousers for their kids for the academic year then forking out money to buy them different outfits to wear each day to school?

Plus uniforms look smart on children. Imagine teenage girls coming to school dressed in low cut tops or boys who have parents that are able to afford new, flashy trainers but other poor kids can't?

With uniforms, everyone is dressed is equally. School is a place to learn, not a fashion contest.
  • TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been a fervent supporter of school uniforms, but there again I wore one from the age of 4 until 17. The uniforms were expensive, but on the last days of term there used to be sales of clothing from the lost property office. My mother often used to tell me to 'see if you can find a blazer with good elbows' or 'get a spare House tie just in case'.
    They also sold the kit of the boys who went up from the Remove into the Senior School; this meant a change of House and there was a general free for all in the July sales for us in the year below! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my daughters school is quite relaxed with the school uniform

you dont have to wear one of the school jumpers with their logo on you can wear a plain one just as long as you wear the right colour
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who refused to wear my uniform for the whole of my final year I think they are a good thing.

Prevents ineqaulity to a degree (IE those who have parents that can afford the expensive gear)