Options

Thinking of upgrading to Samsung Galaxy S

manics2003manics2003 Posts: 710
Forum Member
✭✭
I thinking of upgrading from my Blackberry Curve to a Samsung Galaxy S as think I prefer the look of Android phones to the Iphone.

Any advice from people who have this phone want informed advice as I will be going into another 18-24 month contract it will be with Vodaphone.

Comments

• Options
    MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Cracking phone. Great features and fantastic media playback capability. Best screen on the market.

Ive been well chuffed with mine.
  • Options
    STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    i agree with what was said above , an amazing phone , with an unbelivable screen!!
  • Options
    watermeadewatermeade Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I have to concur,use mine for everything - watching tv watching videos taking video ,taking photos, sat nav browsing the web etc etc...I even use it as a phone sometimes :) i have got 5 batteries and a charger try doing that with an Iphone ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. Amazing phone.
  • Options
    ohiromeohirome Posts: 2,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watermeade wrote: »
    I have to concur,use mine for everything - watching tv watching videos taking video ,taking photos, sat nav browsing the web etc etc...I even use it as a phone sometimes :) i have got 5 batteries and a charger try doing that with an Iphone ..

LOL - The fact that you seem proud of carting around 5 seperate batteries is really quite hilarious.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member

That's hilarious....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's prob the only negative is the short battery life, but every smartphone suffers from that a little.

Just invest on eBay in another charger or something that you can use at work, or a car charger (can pick them up dirt cheap!).

Android 2.2 is now being rolled out (although some networks are a little slow) now, so that's on the horizon to look forward to.

I doubt you would be disappointed with it if you bit the bullet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    How is the still camera picture quality? Reviews are mixed..and it has no flash. (although the flash on most phones isnt that fantastic anyway!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's fine actually. Good quality overall, and the video quality (HD) is superb.

I was initially irritated with the lack of flash, as it seemed a stupid thing to leave out. However, upon using the "night mode" on the camera it's actually quite decent for darker shots.
  • Options
    watermeadewatermeade Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    ohirome wrote: »
    LOL - The fact that you seem proud of carting around 5 seperate batteries is really quite hilarious.

Well if I actually did cart 5 around it probably would be but since I dont its probably not I just leave a them in places I need them like in the car or at work you Troll !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    That's prob the only negative is the short battery life, but every smartphone suffers from that a little.

Just invest on eBay in another charger or something that you can use at work, or a car charger (can pick them up dirt cheap!).

Android 2.2 is now being rolled out (although some networks are a little slow) now, so that's on the horizon to look forward to.

I doubt you would be disappointed with it if you bit the bullet.

Samsung released a nice phone skin with an additional battery built in giving you extra power and protection for your phone. I find the phone lasts about 3 days now with normal usage, data always on etc.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member

my iPhone battery lasts the day doing everything you said ;)

also not having to carry round 5 battery's around is great :cool: :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Samsung released a nice phone skin with an additional battery built in giving you extra power and protection for your phone. I find the phone lasts about 3 days now with normal usage, data always on etc.

Cool, do you have any links?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    my iPhone battery lasts the day doing everything you said ;)
    also not having to carry round 5 battery's around is great :cool: :p
    GPS trail recording gives around 4 hours so I guess yours also walks on water.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    MojoMaster wrote: »
    Cool, do you have any links?

Here is the case with external additional battery: http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/16586643/Genuine-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Power-Pack-Case-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/Product.html

I also got one of these spare batterys with charging docks as well: http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/16586641/Genuine-Samsung-Galaxy-S-Battery-Charger-Stand-Dock/Product.html

So I can actually say I have 3 batterys for my phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    The Omnia 7 is very similar, with the same screen. I last charged mine two nights ago and I've still got about 20% battery life (and that's after numerous calls, web surfing, music playback, audio streaming in the car and playing games).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if I actually did cart 5 around it probably would be but since I dont its probably not I just leave a them in places I need them like in the car or at work you Troll !!

I think its more that you NEED 5 batteries. Still hilarious!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I think its more that you NEED 5 batteries. Still hilarious!

Which is more than can be said about your infantile little comments spread through these forums.

Back on topic, I was holding out for a Desire HD, but couldn't wait to get rid of my previous phone, and I've no regrets at all. It's an absolute cracker, I'm running FroYo on it and I've got no problems with it at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyf94 wrote: »
    Which is more than can be said about your infantile little comments spread through these forums.

Back on topic, I was holding out for a Desire HD, but couldn't wait to get rid of my previous phone, and I've no regrets at all. It's an absolute cracker, I'm running FroYo on it and I've got no problems with it at all.

Oh boo hoo, dont be so uptight - its only a phone. If you take comments about a phones battery life to heart then you need to step outside a bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh boo hoo, dont be so uptight - its only a phone. If you take comments about a phones battery life to heart then you need to step outside a bit more.

I'm not uptight, and I didn't take any comments to heart. Now go to bed CBeebies is finished!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not uptight, and I didn't take any comments to heart. Now go to bed CBeebies is finished!

Oh id say quite the opposite. Crying because of some light hearted comments about someone needing 500 batteries to operate a phone? Bless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Oh id say quite the opposite. Crying because of some light hearted comments about someone needing 500 batteries to operate a phone? Bless.

Ha Ha :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Do these phones use standard USB connections or some annoying proprietary charging port?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    goomba wrote: »
    Do these phones use standard USB connections or some annoying proprietary charging port?

Galaxy S uses USB (cable supplied) which is handy as I'm never far from a charging point
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Galaxy S uses USB (cable supplied) which is handy as I'm never far from a charging point

Thanks, I was looking at a few over the weekend in shops and it was hard to tell from the shape of the plug they were using.