Why is The Sun Backing Alex Salmond?

GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/apr/18/why-is-the-sun-backing-alex-salmond

Apparently The Sun tomorrow will come out in support of Alex Salmond and the SNP. The paper in the 2007 elections campaigned against the SNP, so what has changed?

Apparently Salmond has been meeting with News International executives. I wonder if there is some media deal being done or if it is simply that The Sun thinks it got it very wrong before, or even, quite simply, that The Sun likes to back what it thinks will be the winner.

Comments

• FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geeg wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/apr/18/why-is-the-sun-backing-alex-salmond

Apparently The Sun tomorrow will come out in support of Alex Salmond and the SNP. The paper in the 2007 elections campaigned against the SNP, so what has changed?

Apparently Salmond has been meeting with News International executives. I wonder if there is some media deal being done or if it is simply that The Sun thinks it got it very wrong before, or even, quite simply, that The Sun likes to back what it thinks will be the winner.

The Sun is fond of tits!;):p;)
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he due to win ? The Sun will always likes to back a winner it seems so they can then claim "IT WOS THE SUN WOT WON IT"
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Is he due to win ? The Sun will always likes to back a winner it seems so they can then claim "IT WOS THE SUN WOT WON IT"

They did this in 1997 when they knew the Tories were dead in the water.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Guarenteed imunity from prosecution for any bugging of Scottish Mp's / celebrities .... just a possible conspiracy theory.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is The Sun Backing Alex Salmond?

Is it because he's got big moobs?
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    The Sun isn't as popular in Scotland as it is in England. In fact I know a lot of people dislike it and see it as a Tory paper. I'm not sure I'd be happy about their support if I was Salmond.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    The Sun isn't as popular in Scotland as it is in England. In fact I know a lot of people dislike it and see it as a Tory paper. I'm not sure I'd be happy about their support if I was Salmond.

So is it a form of anti-Labour ?
  • GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »

According to The Guardian there it is.
    The tabloid, now Scotland's biggest selling newspaper
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    The Sun advises it's large number of readers who to vote for, a cetain percentage having viewed page 3 already may be coerced into voting for whatever party the paper is crrently supporting because they did a very good page 3 that day.
    The Sun used to be Tory and support Tory all the way, that is to the ' 97 election and switched allegiance to Blair.

I find it a bit scary that a newspaper or group of nwspaers have the trump card to electing governments.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun has a history of backing the SNP in Scotland whilst backing the Tories in England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    The Sun has a history of backing the SNP in Scotland whilst backing the Tories in England.

It has never backed the SNP before. At the last Scottish elections it's front page famously had a picture of a noose saying if Scotland voted SNP it would be a country committing suicide. It has always supported Labour in Scotland previously.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not true. It has supported the SNP in the past. It was ages ago, but I remember it very clearly, but also at a time it was supporting the Tories in England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Not true. It has supported the SNP in the past. It was ages ago, but I remember it very clearly, but also at a time it was supporting the Tories in England.

Aah I see. I didn't know that. So your correlation between the Tories backing at the same time as the SNP would be right. My apologies Sparkle.
  • cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    The other main papers (the Sunday Times and the Scotsman and the Herald stables) are highly unlikely to back Labour either and have not been big supporters of the SNP in the past either. Which leaves the Daily Retard as the last major pro-Labour paper - so it makes strong commercial sense for the Sun to support the SNP and pitch themselves against the Record.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has never backed the SNP before. At the last Scottish elections it's front page famously had a picture of a noose saying if Scotland voted SNP it would be a country committing suicide. It has always supported Labour in Scotland previously.

They supported the SNP, in a vague way, in the early nineties. Basically, they can't support the Tories in Scotland because it'd be commercial suicide. But when they're in Tory mode in England, they can't support Labour in Scotland as they'd have to rewrite the whole paper. So at these times, they back the SNP. It's just a commercial decision.

True, a lot of folk hate the Sun and might get turned off by it. But all parties know that having the top-selling paper in the country on your side really can't be a bad thing. It's a bit rich for Labour to mutter darkly about "backroom deals" after the way they were up Murdoch's arse for ten years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An article today on the BBC website about it wondering whether it will really make a difference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-13128712
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The argument around the influence of the sun has moved on a lot since the infamous days of "it was the sun what won it" and such like.

It is very much contested whether the Sun helped give blair a final push over the line or whether Murdoch, ever the pragmatist, saw which way the wind was blowing and went over to labour. There had certainly been a lot of courting between both parties in the run up to the the 1997 election. The reality probably is that it was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Labour would have won that election regardless of Murdochs support but i'm sure that the suns support did the campaign no harm.

Now the imfluence of the Sun, or any individual news outlet (esspecially print media) is far less than it was 20-30 years ago. In this case however its just murdoch pragmatism. The conservatives will never win an election in Scotland, Labour and the Lib dems are very much "damaged goods" at the moment, leaving the the SNP as the only way the sun can stay onside with public oppinion.

Much as I genuinely believe murdoch would be more comfortable backing the conservatives in this election, it wouldn't go over well in the scottish market. Murdoch likes to play politics, but he's a clever business man first. A paper saying "vote conservative" would not sell well in Glasgow.

:p
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    lol... pretty sure I read a similar post 1 year ago ;)
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Iain Gray!! You'd have to be an utter moron to back Gray over Salmond. Why Murdoch and his lacheys are many things I choose not describe, he is not a moron and neither are they.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    The Sun advises it's large number of readers who to vote for, a cetain percentage having viewed page 3 already may be coerced into voting for whatever party the paper is crrently supporting because they did a very good page 3 that day.
    The Sun used to be Tory and support Tory all the way, that is to the ' 97 election and switched allegiance to Blair.

I find it a bit scary that a newspaper or group of nwspaers have the trump card to electing governments.

Not actually true either 1979 was the first election the Sun came out in favour of the Tories before that it had been Labour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I've always found it quite ironic how The Sun has supported the SNP in Scotland and devolution in general yet they are anti devolution in Wales. Considering there was a high proportion of Sun readers at one point across the Severn ( not sure what the figures are nowadays) I thought it was strange how they never launched a Welsh edition, when they launched Scottish and Irish editions, and why they were so anti devolution in Wales.

Slighty off topic, how come it's possible to get a Welsh edition of The News Of The World, complete with Welsh flag on the front page, in South Wales but the populations of Mid and North Wales have put up with the English regional editions?
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Rupert Murdoch always backs the winner - its good business.

If you want to know who is going to win an election - see who his papers back!:D
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe for one minute they truly support the SNP. They want to encourage less votes for Labour. Plus have you actually listened to Iain Gray? He's shockingly bad. I worry he may be our new first minister with Andy Kerr as part of his team. The embarrassment of it. They got rid of Jack McConnell who was at least capable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    I don't believe for one minute they truly support the SNP. They want to encourage less votes for Labour. Plus have you actually listened to Iain Gray? He's shockingly bad. I worry he may be our new first minister with Andy Kerr as part of his team. The embarrassment of it. They got rid of Jack McConnell who was at least capable.

In fairness they backed all out independence in 1992. If anything they have still back tracked from their one time position.

The Sun backs who they think will win and who they think is credible. The fact they've come out for the SNP says all you need to know about how the election is going.

Its laughable Labour acuse the SNP of breaking promises then come out with a manifesto that is full of policies they spent the last 4 years blocking.

No vision. No ideas. No way!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I know this is a surprise. The sun has now gone down in my estimations. Salmond is an odious dwarf who wants independence but wants another country to pay for it. He has become obese on scrounging off the English.