Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    georgetheaspiegeorgetheaspie Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katsuya wrote: »
    Bonnie fits all the clues and rumours. Scott would be excited because I Need A Hero is pretty well loved by the gay community. It's a power ballad. We know the song was recorded in advance and therefore works with when Scott heard it.
    phill363 wrote: »
    With some work it could do well, step one is the impossible task of the BBC finding decent backing vocalists who do all the "believe in me" bits instead of Bonnie.

Oh no - the BBC are the ones who gave us the backing vocalist who destroyed Simona Armstrong's 'Changes' a few years back! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mvj3YK_En0

Maybe we'll get Miriam Stockley and Beverely Skeete back again (Katrina's gospel style backups). They knew what they were doing.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have to go to bed I think- my brain is fried!

Will try and be up for 8 to see what else BBC can heap upon us.

At least we're working down the age scale- we might have a 20 year old in 5 or so years.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Need A Hero? I thought we were getting Believe In Me? Having just had a listen, my main concern is that it isn't a powerful enough song - the chorus could do with a bit more oomph if we're considering winning. I'd prefer something more like All I Ever Wanted.

It's a nice-ish ballad but when you look at what the likes of Russia, Ukraine and Georgia are sending, there's a real danger it will be completely swamped in Malmo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's a nice-ish ballad but when you look at what the likes of Russia, Ukraine and Georgia are sending, there's a real danger it will be completely swamped in Malmo.

I actually think it's stronger than Waterfall- and we're only hearing a tinny live version so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Well i'm certainly not holding out for success in Malmo this year, another failure, thanks BBC, all that hype and once again let down!
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. I think Russia's song, prior to hearing the revamp of Ukraine and despite the trite lyrics, is the one to beat in the ballad stakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ESCForum have changed our thread title to "Bonnie Tyler- Believe In Me"

They normally only do that when they have solid proof.

We also have Tomoe's unwavering support :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESCForum have changed our thread title to "Bonnie Tyler- Believe In Me"

They normally only do that when they have solid proof.

We also have Tomoe's unwavering support :eek:

That's the UK screwed then.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's stronger than Waterfall- and we're only hearing a tinny live version so far.

I do quite like it. It's a pleasant song and by no means an unattractive one.....but......something tells me this is not going to work out results wise on the scoreboard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the UK screwed then.:D

More importantly what has Keith Mills said about it all?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Has he said anything about anything this year? I seem to remember him pouring scorn on the Danish songs on the night of DMGP, but other than that he seems to have gone back under his rock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    We're finishing bottom five.

If it was Petula, surely they'd have just announced it when she was first on the show. What's the point in dragging her back on a month down the line?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has he said anything about anything this year? I seem to remember him pouring scorn on the Danish songs on the night of DMGP, but other than that he seems to have gone back under his rock.

Checked his Twitter- he loved Macedonia & Norway.

In the ballad stakes, I like it more than It's For You but less than Quedate Conmigo. Whatever that means!
  • Options
    georgetheaspiegeorgetheaspie Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look, everyone.

Bonnie looks youthful - far more so than the Hump.

She may not be youthful, but she apparently looks it! My honest guess would be that she was in her 40s, so not at all bad.;):cool:
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No most importantly what's Philip Schofield think of the choice :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering.....have the BBC just given us the two oldest soloists in Eurovision history back to back?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC sure know how to treat their fans, right?!
    phill363 wrote: »
    Yeah but if we were hot favourite to win I'm sure viewing figures would sky rocket.
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    What is wrong with finding a decent live singer BBC, there's loads out there! :mad:
    If Bonnie has a disappointing result, the BBC will surely have to abandon their internal selections....three bad results in a row for invited "marquee names" would be beyond ridiculous.
    justmad123 wrote: »
    Well i'm certainly not holding out for success in Malmo this year, another failure, thanks BBC, all that hype and once again let down!

These kind of comments illustrate that people just aren't facing the facts when it comes to understanding the BBC's approach to taking part in the Eurovision Song Contest these days.

The act is not chosen for us, the Eurovision fans, the act is chosen for the majority of the British viewership who, let's face it, still regard the contest as a curiosity and a joke and tune in on that basis to laugh at all the acts from across Europe, get a nostalgia hit from watching the UK's entrant, watch them do poorly in the voting, then mutter something about Europe being against us and forget all about it for another year straight afterwards.

In the old days, of course, the BBC didn't need to worry about getting an act to drive ratings because they knew that people would tune in just to hear what Wogan said, but with him gone, the performer is now what makes up people's minds whether to watch or not, and the BBC knows not only that Bonnie Tyler will pique people's curiosity far more than Paloma Faith will, but that the British public just aren't bothered enough about being successful at the Contest to compel it to change its strategy.

Ultimately, it seems we'll be going down the nostalgia route with every act the UK has for the forseeable future until the BBC refocuses its approach from securing high viewing figures to securing a victory, and I can't at this stage see why that might happen or, more significantly, when that might happen.

This is the sad consequence of being a Eurovision fan in a country that gives it little regard.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whaaaaa?!:eek:

Bonnie is a legend but I would have preferred a more contemporary act.
    Ah well, the song is quite nice actually so I shall be supporting the uk this year :)
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's another embarrassment - the song is weak and meanders along - will be lucky to creep out of bottom 5.
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    Is there proof?
  • Options
    penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As of yet, no. Interested in this apparent announcement in 15 mins from someone that is not her agent :confused:
  • Options
    bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On daybreak now.....its Bonnie! Ugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070hvg confirmed oh dear

and my thought behind it not being her was ldneurovision following her before the announcement which they did with AKitten and various rumoured names in 2010 and 09
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    You will hear the song tomorrow, I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
This discussion has been closed.