Insecure boyfriend problem

gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I met my boyfriend about 4 months ago. We're madly in to each other and have lots in common...even the same name (I'm gay), but his insecurities are almost out of control and I don't know what to do.

He says he trusts me, but has these episodes where he's convinced I'm cheating. He's even been through my phone when I've not been in the room. His friends tell him to trust his gut instinct and be cautious, which I'm finding really unhelpful advice on both our parts.

I've NEVER cheated in my life, but nothing I say helps. I've gone to all lengths I can think of to reassure him and be helpful. I even deliberately leave my phone laying around now if I leave the room.

Some advice would be really helpful, as I love this guy and want it to work.

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Are you convinced someone is cheating on you?
    Ring this number ........ "

Oops, 01619520782
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing you can do is reassure him but don't let it stop you from seeing your friends. Too much insecurity and jealously is never a sign of a healthy relationship.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Are you convinced someone is cheating on you?
    Ring this number ........ "

Oops, 01619520782

Foxy Bingo..

Bringing people together
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try talking to him about it, and get to the root of his mistrust.

It's not fair to either of you if the trust isn't there because it'll cause resentment for both of you.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Run. And don't look back.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've only been together 4 months and he's already had episodes (plural) of doubting you then it doesn't bode well, I'd have to say.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like its a precursor to becoming controlling and abusive to me. How long before he wants to look at your phone and emails, how long before emotional blackmail that if you really loved him, you would stay in and not see x friend or z person, how long before you have to help him with this problem by letting him see all your expenditure etc etc

Sorry OP but you need to cut loose.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Happening already? You need to get out of the relationship or be prepared to give up all friends/fun times
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is maybe insecure due to past experiences and is paranoid that you will treat him the same way. It's only been a short time, but if you love him and want to make it work, all you can do is reassure him and make him realise he is wrong. I don't think you should end it just yet, but if he is the same way in 6 months or sound its affecting the way you feel about him, maybe that's the time to end it. I hope it works out :)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Sounds like its a precursor to becoming controlling and abusive to me. How long before he wants to look at your phone and emails, how long before emotional blackmail that if you really loved him, you would stay in and not see x friend or z person, how long before you have to help him with this problem by letting him see all your expenditure etc etc

I fee like that's worst case scenario. the guy might have just been burnt in the past, and isn't realising that he's paranoid..
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    He's even been through my phone
    Tip of the iceberg.

Get the hell outta dodge.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    It has only been 4 months, so you barely know the guy. It'll probably just get worse.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hide the knives and run for the hills.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you shouldn't play - and just not try so hard.

It backfires sometimes I think.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    In all of my previous relationships none of them have ever gone through my phone or vice versa, and it doesn't matter if its been 4 months or 5 years!

Trust is the biggest requirement for a successful relationship and if you haven't got that then you have nothing.

I can see this only getting worse.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    This behaviour is NOT grounds for a stable loving relationship.

Going through someone's phone is not a good thing - there must be trust in a relationship.

It sounds like your boyfriend has a lot of growing to do in terms of personal growth. I think you should be cautious about the future. You don't have to be a doormat and be run ragged to appease someone when HE has the issues.

Be strong.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Going through someone's phone can be quite addictive unforteanelty I doubt it would ever stop and will probably only get worse
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a pin number on your phone now so he can't access your messages. If he complains tell him you don't find it acceptable. I've been with my partner for 17 years and neither of us would dream of doing this to each other.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's got a daughter called Nico hide the paper weights!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    If he's got a daughter called Nico hide the paper weights!

Lol! What's gonna happen to Trevor? TBH he is no Warren! Although Warren in stenders was such a let down, he should have been the one to dethrone Phil.

This post should be in Soaps.
  • dellab49dellab49 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    If there is no trust in a relationship, then that can collapse the whole thing.

Everytime it will feel like he is thinking about you and you cheating, so he is showing he doesn't trust you. (even if you are not cheating)

but he is convinced that you are.

If he keeps these 'untrusting actions' towards you, week after week, month after week, then that would personally get a bit annoying and upsetting.

If there is No trust in a relationship, then perhaps it is time to walk away/ end it?

Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear, but just being straight with you.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scottl wrote: »
    Maybe you shouldn't play - and just not try so hard.

It backfires sometimes I think.

This. You might as well cheat.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »

I agree please end it with him
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to set firm boundaries. Do not under any circumstances tolerate being isolated from your friends or your privacy being violated. Eventually you can build trust but it takes years and you have to be very strict not to give in and try to placate him. Walk away from tears and threats. You must be very strong.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *update*

Ended our relationship today. I gave it another chance, but yet again we fought, with him finishing it by slamming the front door on my arm (it was an accident).

I've recently bagged the job of a lifetime, and he hates the fact I'm working until 11pm most nights. He accused me of being too rigid with my fitness regime, too and moaned because I basically wanted a few free hours to myself this morning, to go running and get some bits of shopping in.

I was honestly convinced this guy was the one. Feel gutted tbh, but there's no hope in this relationship any more.

4 months...what would it have been like in 4 years?

Would like to thank everyone for the advice!