50th special may never have been made

2»

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I think The Five(ish) Doctors reboot was adequate compensation for the fact the Classic Doctors weren't in the main event and my personal opinion has always been that it was actually better than Day Of The Doctor!

:D

I LOVED the The Five(ish) Doctors. Just superb.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

I agree... the in joke with tom baker "not again" 😂😂 and moffats voicemail... delete delete ... very good script by peter davison... in fact id like to see him write a story as he is so competant .. my view
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope u okay Mulett and Daveyboy btw ... we are something of veterans on the forum now eh ? 😂
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

I didn't know what to expect when I first watched it, and being written by Peter Davison, I was probably expecting something serious with comedy bits here and there but this was just funny the whole way through. I just loved the way all three Doctors sent themselves up!

Colin Baker forcing his daughters to watch one of his DVD's, Peter Davison desperately trying to get into the 50th Episode, McCoy with his Hobbit obsession. Then there was John Barrowman and what was in his car had me in stitches it was so funny.

Best part for me aside all that was the showrunners. Moffat playing with his toys in his office and RTD at the end trying to get in on the act.

Just all round funny and as it was more so as it was unexpected!
    allen_who wrote: »
    Hope u okay Mulett and Daveyboy btw ... we are something of veterans on the forum now eh ? 😂

I know, don't you think I look tired.........?????:o:o:o:o:o

*Runs*

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know what to expect when I first watched it, and being written by Peter Davison, I was probably expecting something serious with comedy bits here and there but this was just funny the whole way through. I just loved the way all three Doctors sent themselves up!

Colin Baker forcing his daughters to watch one of his DVD's, Peter Davison desperately trying to get into the 50th Episode, McCoy with his Hobbit obsession. Then there was John Barrowman and what was in his car had me in stitches it was so funny.

Best part for me aside all that was the showrunners. Moffat playing with his toys in his office and RTD at the end trying to get in on the act.

Just all round funny and as it was more so as it was unexpected!

I know, don't you think I look tired.........?????:o:o:o:o:o

*Runs*

:D:D:D

Just awesome ... run forest ... run :D
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Problem with Fiveish doctors was it was more a comedish parody. Now these ones playing the doctor in a full length episode would have been so great.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem with Fiveish doctors was it was more a comedish parody. Now these ones playing the doctor in a full length episode would have been so great.

The Five(ish) Doctors was a comedy, and very funny too. Not sure how a comedy being a comedy can be seen as a problem...
    I agree though, that seeing these Doctors in an actual episode would have been nice, though i think it would have to have been a Tom Baker style cameo. Too many leads and it's impossible to have a workable story.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member

A lovely way of calling me an old git lol :)
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found The Five(ish) Doctors really cringey. It was like a Comic Relief charity skit dragged out to half an hour.

It looks like everyone had a great deal of fun making it, but the whole thing was done with so much pantomime mugging and gurning that it just seemed really forced. That type of humour leaves me cold.

I find Peter Davison much funnier on Toast of London.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    The Five(ish) doctors was hilarious, and to me, a better and easier to enjoy contribution from those particular actors than it would have been had they somehow tried to include them in Day of the Doctor looking nothing like the 5,6, and 7th doctors, and still expected us to take it seriously.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The Five(ish) doctors was hilarious, and to me, a better and easier to enjoy contribution from those particular actors than it would have been had they somehow tried to include them in Day of the Doctor looking nothing like the 5,6, and 7th doctors, and still expected us to take it seriously.

Agreed.

Edit - on the topic of veterans, I was alarmed to discover I've been on these forums for over 11 years now! :o
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had already heard that David was close to not doing the 50th. The script, filming schedule, everything seemed to be up in the air, from what we can gather. Chris basically took another job because there were no guarantees of schedule and no script to read, right?

The finished episode was just about passable, let's face it... With some good performances and a lovely appearance from Tom Baker pulling it through. Though it's a shame it couldn't have been better.... David had a fairly woeful part to contend with, IMO.
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot was great. I especially loved John Barrowman's "secret" and Sylvester McCoy's need to keep bragging about being in a motion picture (and the Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen cameo was great). If there's any complaints from me, it's that it was only about half an hour, and I wanted more.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member

We could write our own thread titled "The Five-ish Posters"

I'll get me coat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could write our own thread titled "The Five-ish Posters"

I'll get me coat.

:( feel bad now... how could i overlook u davrosdodebird :(
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Easy, I've been keeping my head down lately due to life and whatnot ;)
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Fraxis wrote: »
    Although I didn't dislike The Day Of The Doctor, the old Doctors pretty much owned the anniversary, with the minisode and Davison's fabulous all-star comedy being the highlights for me. And both created and/or heavily backed by the Moff, let's not forget. But do let's forget the Afterparty though...
    Any exciting memories of the afterparty? :D
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Interesting interview with moffat in which he says when Eccleston dropped out D Tennant expressed doubts and Matt was out of contract.. who'd be a script writer... ? How do u contend with that at all ?

So what 50th doesnt get made because of Ecclestone? Hes not the biggest thing about the show, if he dropped out id of replaced him with baker. The 50th anniversary isnt about one series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what 50th doesnt get made because of Ecclestone? Hes not the biggest thing about the show, if he dropped out id of replaced him with baker. The 50th anniversary isnt about one series.

I was just paraphrasing moffat. He actually said it was a miracle we put it together.
  • The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting interview with moffat in which he says when Eccleston dropped out D Tennant expressed doubts and Matt was out of contract.. who'd be a script writer... ? How do u contend with that at all ?
    You get Paul McGann and make a proper Time War special.
  • tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Moffat's own bloody fault. It's insane they didn't contact the actors until the very last minute. Tom Baker even had to phone the production office himself and say, "What's going on? Do you still want me?" And David Tennant complained about being "messed around." It's a good job his wife was due to give birth at the same time as 50th filming so he'd already booked the time off.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All fair points

Not really fair points at all because it erroneously supposes that Moffat (or anyone else at a high executive or production level) only has work to do on the show during its production phase.

It's rather like the idea that a teacher spends school holidays with their feet up. Largely ignorant of what their job really entails.

I can assure you a writer as prolific as Steven Moffat, with heavy executive responsibilities on top of his creative workload, does not have a 'holiday' from the show when it is not in production.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    If the One Big Idea was always the Time War I can see why Chris wouldn't have been interested from the beginning as he'd have to return to a Doctor portrayal he still seems to regret all these years later, not the one that he hoped to develop. It'd just be doubling the disappointment after such a long time.

In fact that goes for pretty much any story basis.
    You get Paul McGann and make a proper Time War special.

Which would have been amazing, and what a send off for his Doctor even if he'd just taken Hurt's role.
    I do agree pauls minisode could have been the intro.. that would have blown our socks off.. difficult to fit others in i feel

It should have been imo. That and Tom were the two best bits of the 50th for me. I suppose once again it was down to the length for foreign markets (?).

<edit> I took the bit about Chris' feelings from this thread, sort of a cross pollenated post (if there were any bees still around!):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2179385