Options

The 5 Doctors & The Day Of The Doctor

UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I prefer the 20th anniversary story over the 50th. Personally I think Terence Dicks a better writer than Steven Moffat, I know this may be viewed as heresy by some, but I grew up watching Pertwee and Baker, and read Dicks MA's in the 90's hiatus. Anybody else think this?

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I think they are both highly rated amongst those who like a multi doctor story. I've certainly havent gathered from here that there is some generally agreed thing that one was miles ahead of the other in terms of quality, and that there was some big problem with one or the other (apart from the odd few who believed that the 50th wasn't proper because Moffat couldn't magically de-age the actors of the 4th-6th doctors, and magically ressurect the first three actors, for them all to be in it (even though he still found a way to get them all in it in some form)).

For me, I prefer the 50th, but only because it is of my time, and I 'was there' so to speak, and yes, because the main focus is on Doctors of my time.

Also, don't forget, Tom Baker actually did the 50th :p.

Despite not having watched any of the first 2 Doctors (except for part 1 of An Unearthly Child) and barely any of the 3rd Doctor, I found the five Doctors to be a good bit of fun, with an entertaining enough story, and enjoyable to see the incarnations to interact.

My only real problem with both the 5 and the 3 doctors, is that they have the 2nd and 3rd doctors squabble as if they are different men, and that the 3rd doesn't even particularly remember being the 2nd.

The one I think is underated is The Two Doctors. I find it fascinating to see a quieter, non special, multi doctor story, featuring two Doctor's whose era's were so far apart. I like how it's a story which finds a completely non forced way to involve the two, and isn't afraid to take risks with the format, such as starting the episode with a large chunk of the past doctor, before we even see the current doctor, something which I couldn't imagine in any other special.

I'd love to see an in series Two Doctors for today, just in series, no fanfare, normal plot, which accommodates the current Doctor and a past one. I think, written by the right person, they could make it so that it makes the current one really reflect on who he is, who has been in the past, and who he'd like to try and be in the future.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    I prefer the 20th anniversary story over the 50th. Personally I think Terence Dicks a better writer than Steven Moffat, I know this may be viewed as heresy by some, but I grew up watching Pertwee and Baker, and read Dicks MA's in the 90's hiatus. Anybody else think this?

Nothing compared to the heresy of saying that you're really not a fan of either. :p

That'd be me by the way. Both have their charms, but neither is a story I particularly care for.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was coming up to 14 when the five doctors was on, and having attended the 20th anniversary 'A Celebration' event at longleat, and meeting three of the five doctors, I felt a certain affinity with it. I love Terrence Dicks's writing which was only let down by the lackluster production values and limitations at and of the time. I think a different producer would have done a better job (not a JNT fan).

The 50th was, different. It was a special and I viewed it such rather than a multi doctor story. It didn't have the celebratory feel for me, in fact, the previous season finale had more nostalgia for me. However, seeing Tom appear was a truly magical moment.

To summarize, 20th beat 50th on the celebration/occasion front and writing, but 50th will always be superior on production. I enjoyed them both for different reasons.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Five Doctors is absolute bliss. What a treat. Great fun.

The 5th story ... I've rewatched the Tom Baker scene a few times, but won't bother with it again otherwise.
  • Options
    shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Five Doctors is one of my most rewatched stories. Pure nostalgia. Perfect for a rainy afternoon.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Of the multi-Doctor stories, the one for me is the The Three Doctors with The Day of the Doctor running a close second. I love the squabbling between 2 and 3 and the ease with which 1 puts them in their place. :)

It's marvelous how Troughton and Hartnell slipped back into their respective characters.

It also had the benefit of never having been done before.

The relationships in the The Three Doctors are echoed in The Day of the Doctor with Smith and Tennant bickering and Hurt putting them in their place. :)
  • Options
    Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefer the 5 Doctors considerably, the 50th even though it had more time still felt rushed. And that Zygon B plot was just eh, it was in the background the entire episode and just ended abruptly. Still a decent episode though
  • Options
    The AmazingThe Amazing Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see an in series Two Doctors for today, just in series, no fanfare, normal plot, which accommodates the current Doctor and a past one. I think, written by the right person, they could make it so that it makes the current one really reflect on who he is, who has been in the past, and who he'd like to try and be in the future.
    I'd like to see a multi-Doctor story featuring the same Doctor eg. 11 and Clara in adventure with 11 and Amy.
  • Options
    gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Day Of the Doctor is better written and directed and the acting is stronger but if I could only watch one it would be The Five Doctors any day of the week. Partly nostalgia but partly just the sheer fun of it so that even the dodgy bits I look at with affection. Both are better than The Three Doctors.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Iiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmortalityyyyyyyy!" :D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five Doctors for me.

Day Of The Doctor, rewatched it a few times, there are worse episodes in the New Series but a whole lot better too. I thought the Zygons were unnecessary and seeing it was The Daleks 50th also, should really have just been them and them alone.

The Five Doctors isn't perfect by any means but it has a more nostalgic feel to it and I think Terrance Dicks done a reasonable job considering all the constant changes in script he had to endure.

It's simple, it's straightforward and the only missing thing was Tom Baker in full, glad he got to make up for that in some way in the 50th.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a multi-Doctor story featuring the same Doctor eg. 11 and Clara in adventure with 11 and Amy.
    We did briefly get that with one of those series 6 shorts. 'Last night' was the one I believe, where one version of 11 was attempting to take River to derillium (but obviously didn't make it) and ended up in the TARDIS of an earlier 11th Doctor, and the two 11 doctors had a conversation near the end.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hell no. No more Clara. Ever. She has already been done to death. She has been splintered amongst The Doctor's timeline, shown to have helped him in each and every incarnation, been the one The Doctor saves (not Adric, not his wife, River Song) when given the chance, lived, lived again, lived yet again, died, saved and now lives forever. She has been done to death, resurrection and, now, eternal life. No more Clara. No more Clara Who. I say again, Hell No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Hell no. No more Clara. Ever. She has already been done to death. She has been splintered amongst The Doctor's timeline, shown to have helped him in each and every incarnation, been the one The Doctor saves (not Adric, not his wife, River Song) when given the chance, lived, lived again, lived yet again, died, saved and now lives forever. She has been done to death, resurrection and, now, eternal life. No more Clara. No more Clara Who. I say again, Hell No.
    My sentiments exactly.
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Ulsterguy wrote: »

I agree. I love the five Doctors and just hated there was no sequel a couple years ago. McCoy and Colin deserved to return to the series.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »

I suppose there's a Gallifreyan painting somewhere entitled:

Clara Dies
    No More

Or something like that. :)

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I'm starting to get the vague impression that some FM's aren't overly keen on Clara.

Having become a massive fan in 1982, 'The Five Doctors' was beyond exciting for me at the time....and I loved it. Lost count of the number of times I subsequently watched my off air recording. Knew it word for word.

And I still like it! Having subsequently watched, and generally loved, the Hartnell era, it feels a bit odd watching what is an (in fairness, decent enough) 'approximation' of the first Doctor, but Terrence did an admirable job in the circumstances and it really felt special at the time. I also think it wasn't really effected by Tom only appearing in a few clips. I think he was originally due to do the 'finding out' about Borusa (I might be wrong) but that might've diminished Peter D's part. As the present incumbent at the time, that would've felt a bit 'off' to me.

Thoroughly enjoyed 'Day...' and it was lovely to see Matt and David team up but (despite thinking both Dicks *and* Moffat are 'Premier League' Who writers) I'd have to go with 'The Five Doctors' on behalf of my thoroughly thrilled 14 year old self!

(and Terrance signed my Target book at Longleat....he's the only Who alumni I got to meet that ridiculously crowded day. Ahhhhh. who said nostalgia ain't what it used to be?)
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which version of the 5 doctors though? I prefer the original. Shame tom wouldn't do it then they could have had the first doctor stuck in the time bubble. Felt it was a bad idea having hurndall as the first doctor. Would rather have concentrated on troughton, Pertwee and Davison and given a bigger role to a companion to cover the loss of the first doctor.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which version of the 5 doctors though? I prefer the original. Shame tom wouldn't do it then they could have had the first doctor stuck in the time bubble. Felt it was a bad idea having hurndall as the first doctor. Would rather have concentrated on troughton, Pertwee and Davison and given a bigger role to a companion to cover the loss of the first doctor.

If you hadn't had the First Doctor, it would have been pointless calling it The Five Doctors!!

It was already stretching it by not having Tom Baker in it in full and then recasting the First Doctor so not to have him at all, you would have to rename it The Three Doctors(Rebootish)!

I disagree about Hurndall. I don't think anyone could really replicate Hartnell. Like David Bradley who played Hartnell playing The First Doctor, he did his best and I thought it was passable but not perfect. I think he got the essence of the character even though he was slightly different.

Where I sort of agree with you is that having the First Doctor in a Time eddy could have worked if Tom Baker had been in it. That would have been one way round the problem but on the flip side of that, as it was called The Five Doctors, it would have been a bit unfair not to have The First Doctor in it.

Not only that, I think it would have been disrespectful to the man who created the character. At least with Hurndall being in it, it evoked thoughts and memories of Hartnell (if you were old enough or had seen him at that point.)

• Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 shades it for me,while 50th is a good story and bar the Zygon stuff I think it's better written, 5 gets it because it's 5(well 4 really) Doctors that's what these anniversary shows should be about for me. Due to the nature of the show it's so rare that you get a chance to get multi Doctors in that still look the part so in my opinion they should have pulled out all the stops to get 8 and 9 in the episode not bump up the numbers with a new made up version.
    Failing that I think it would have been better to tag 8s min-sode onto the front of the 50th rather than as a separate thing.

Don't want to sound too complaining though I still loved the 50th and will always be thankful to Moffat for giving McGann one last appearance in the Tardis