Options

What would you like Chibnall to do with DW?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Brandon_SmithBrandon_Smith Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, I think going back to a way like this isn't that appealing. Yes, the actual cliffhanger itself might entice people in etc, but then when the next time trailer comes seconds later and nullifies it, it makes it less of a thing in my opinion.

Plus, its just me, but I don't like the thought of the story being froze at one point for the week between episodes. That is weird I know, but I am weird! :p

I've always preferred the second half of a 2-parter picking up elsewhere from where we left it. It just seems more realistic to me.

And if people suggest getting rid of the next time trailers, then that's another way to close off the show to the general public if you ask me. They are there to entice people in, If you get rid of them, how can you draw viewers in?

I've really hated that two parter pick up somewhere different for the second part thing, just do it normally and continue it, because it just annoys me seeing the character out of the danger from the last episode and having to wait Even more and ignore the dialogue until it gets to the 5 second flashback showing what happened. Never really liked that method of storytelling personally because it distracts from whats happening in the episode until the explanation bit comes up and its basically a big f you to the audience who have waited a week to just see how it plays out.
  • Options
    Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really hated that two parter pick up somewhere different for the second part thing, just do it normally and continue it, because it just annoys me seeing the character out of the danger from the last episode and having to wait Even more and ignore the dialogue until it gets to the 5 second flashback showing what happened. Never really liked that method of storytelling personally because it distracts from whats happening in the episode until the explanation bit comes up and its basically a big f you to the audience who have waited a week to just see how it plays out.

Horses for courses I suppose. I find it dull and predictable when the main characters are pinned in somewhere or something like that fearing for their lives and then just run off in a direction that wasn't seen before or something just as underwhelming.

Pick up the cliffhanger elsewhere brings more questions. That is what I prefer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horses for courses I suppose. I find it dull and predictable when the main characters are pinned in somewhere or something like that fearing for their lives and then just run off in a direction that wasn't seen before or something just as underwhelming.

Pick up the cliffhanger elsewhere brings more questions. That is what I prefer.

Oh well to each their own what can ya do?
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he meant serious in the sense of dull and gloomy, rather than deep and thoughtful.

A belated thanks. How rare is it for internet comrades to offer a sympathetic interpretation of what one might be trying to say. In any case that is indeed it, although, just to muddy the waters, I certainly would not say that there are not element of thoughtfulness in what Moffat has been up to.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, I think going back to a way like this isn't that appealing. Yes, the actual cliffhanger itself might entice people in etc, but then when the next time trailer comes seconds later and nullifies it, it makes it less of a thing in my opinion.

Plus, its just me, but I don't like the thought of the story being froze at one point for the week between episodes. That is weird I know, but I am weird! :p

I've always preferred the second half of a 2-parter picking up elsewhere from where we left it. It just seems more realistic to me.

And if people suggest getting rid of the next time trailers, then that's another way to close off the show to the general public if you ask me. They are there to entice people in, If you get rid of them, how can you draw viewers in?

Everyone to their own but the direct continuation of a cliffhanger worked for 26 years in Classic Who, it worked during the RTD Era and it even worked successfully on the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I see no reason why it couldn't continue in this way in the future.

:)
  • Options
    tom42tom42 Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    resign
  • Options
    Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone to their own but the direct continuation of a cliffhanger worked for 26 years in Classic Who, it worked during the RTD Era and it even worked successfully on the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I see no reason why it couldn't continue in this way in the future.

Well with me being weird and that, I look at that kind of statement as a reason to change it. If its been doing that for most of its time on-screen, surely changing it benefits the show in the long run? Variety being the spice of life and that.

To me, there's little variety in what you can do in a continuation cliffhanger. The other way allows for greater variety.

As has been said though, each to their own! :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well with me being weird and that, I look at that kind of statement as a reason to change it. If its been doing that for most of its time on-screen, surely changing it benefits the show in the long run? Variety being the spice of life and that.

To me, there's little variety in what you can do in a continuation cliffhanger. The other way allows for greater variety.

As has been said though, each to their own! :)

It's a fair point but what I would say to that is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I agree a bit of variety is good for the show. All sorts of cliffhangers should be considered but the show shouldn't totally abandon the direct continuation cliffhangers we've had in the past.

• Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Moffat has done some astonishing work , but his biggest flaw is that he twists the stories too many times .

I'd like the new broom to get some new writers in , there must be loads of writers who'd want to do a DW story , what I think is needed is a really good script editor , someone who will say " no , no you've gone overboard now " and no re-booting the universe at the end of each series .

and yeah - let's have some new facts about the Doc or the timelords' history / mythology .

• Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I hope Chibnall doesn't pay too much attention to us fans and creates his own vision for the show. RTD and Moffat both had their own distinct ideas, I hope Chibnall is confident enough to be distinct, different and fresh.

This 100%

He needs to create his own vision for the show, and not be swayed by people who preferred a particular era of the show, not rehash the RTD version of the show, or do a timey-wimey Moff mark 2 version.

As for the timeslot, that's nothing to do with the showrunner. Moff didn't want the show to be on at 8:30pm, that was the side effect of being on in autumn at the same time Strictly. S10 will be back in spring anyway, and presumably be broadcast at a more sensible time
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continue the quality and success of his predecessors.
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Continue the quality and success of his predecessors.

Obviously excluding his direct predecessor. If he continues with that level of quality it will be another long break.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make those fun episodes again where theres just a fun adventure for escapism I miss those. Of course only put them here and there. Like do you know how good it felt seeing The Doctor laugh again in The last christmas special.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make those fun episodes again where theres just a fun adventure for escapism I miss those. Of course only put them here and there. Like do you know how good it felt seeing The Doctor laugh again in The last christmas special.

You might want to be a bit more specific - what do you mean by "fun adventure for escapism"? If it's what I think you mean, then we tend to get those every season of Doctor Who: the light and breezy one-off episode which isn't particularly linked to the season arc - both RTD and Moffat have done plenty of those. Are you saying you want Chibnall to simply continue doing the same?
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interesting to see if he does a reboot. I would to be honest. Id start of by doing something that has only been done a couple of times and title each episode "doctor who and..." i.e. "doctor who and the edge of reason" ( sorry bridget jones haha )
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    Glove puppets.

It needs glove puppets. Evil glove puppets to be his newest, deadliest enemies.

Maybe even Mr. Flibble at the head of an army of glove puppets...

Oh yeah...
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    -A more grounded, straightforward human drama rather than a brain exercise.
    -Story arcs which have a beginning, a middle and an end. Not tangled confusion like the Silence arc or abstract, open-ended nonsense like the Hybrid arc.
    -I'd like to see the show become more urban.
    -New villains. No Daleks or Cybermen for a good few years.
    -Lastly, do his absolute best to keep Peter Capaldi, because that man deserves a fourth season.

Yup, agree with all of this, plus bring back Captain Jack !