Hollyoaks - has it always been quite dark?

2»

Comments

• soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its had it moments but not like it is now. the early days were completely different tho it did have

lewis richardsons suicide - he took pills but didnt die outright, his organs shut down.

Tom being orphaned

the twins being killed in the dog fire

the valentines mother being run over and killed as there entry storyline

tony and mandy having grace die from cot death

the students tended to leave to go back home or to jobs elsewhere or travelling rather than being killed en masse
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Walker had sex with brendan?? :o:o:o:o

It's complicated by yes he did. The scenes are on youtube - just search 'Hollyoaks later walker and brendan'
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could get dark, Luke's rape was dark as was Tony/Mandy at times and Lewis/Ruth. Mandy's abuse by her father was very dark.

However, it did the lighter stuff far better so the dark stuff didn't seem as bad.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Bob has made the show really dark and disturbing at the moment.

I am shaking as I type.

I felt sorry for those strawberry laces as he was butchering them whilst having a go a Grace (oh sorry I mean Esther).
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    It could get dark, Luke's rape was dark as was Tony/Mandy at times and Lewis/Ruth. Mandy's abuse by her father was very dark.

However, it did the lighter stuff far better so the dark stuff didn't seem as bad.

Agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One scene had Lewis beating Ruth off screen but you could hear her screams. I don't think they'd do that now!

Luke's rape was a late night special (the precursor to Hollyoaks Later) & was handled far better than the recent JP one in the 6:30 edition.

The violence tended not to be as frequent but the villians were generally soft like Scott the footballer who was with Izzy/Steph (I think that was his name). They didn't do gangsters until Warren who wasn't really one until he killed Louise. At one point, Darren was the biggest villian in the show!

They didn't used to have so much drugs stuff either or if they did, it was dark drug addiction rather than Ste's non-existent issues
    Forum Member
    Luke's rape was a late night special (the precursor to Hollyoaks Later) & was handled far better than the recent JP one in the 6:30 edition.

Yeah the scene was a bit confused. Obviously they can only get away with so much at 6.30 but they could have been cleverer with it.

Brookside was quite dark at times, particularly with the incest. Even after eighteen years, no other soap would touch that storyline. Hollyoaks' ridiculous incest twist can't even come close- at the end of the day, it will only affect Nico, Dodger and Maxine. Patrick's used to it- after all, he's had thirteen years to deal with it- and Sienna is mad enough to try it on anyway. Nico will be quickly dispatched, Maxine will cope and Dodger will be a bit grossed out but he'll cope because it was thirteen years ago and he couldn't have known.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that the Nico thing just isn't believable and is a retcon

Then there's Cameron killing Sam/Danny, so predictable
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky and Bianca were "the thing" in 2002?

Don't you mean the mid 90s? :D
  • cmazzacmazza Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has always had dark story lines but it seemed more balanced by comedy, family or love story lines back in the day.

I thought that the church thing falling down in the Nial SL was the folly until recently. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max/OB & Lee/Bombhead

Anything as good as those in the show? No.
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    Max/OB & Lee/Bombhead

Utter brilliance those two duos.

I was thinking of the scene where Lee was going to sleep with Abby for the first time, and because her dad or Ben (can't remember who) was coming upstairs he hid in the cupboard half naked and inside for some reason was Bombhead nalf naked too! The look on their faces when Abby found them... Priceless! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't always been. It started becoming quite dark in late 2010, then it eased off again, and it has been quite dark for over a year now.

There was a lot of comedy storylines and ones about relationships back in the days where the uni students were at the forefront. But there were still dark moments, like the story behind Mandy's abuse, Lewis' suicide, the date rape storyline
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't always been. It started becoming quite dark in late 2010, then it eased off again, and it has been quite dark for over a year now.

There was a lot of comedy storylines and ones about relationships back in the days where the uni students were at the forefront. But there were still dark moments, like the story behind Mandy's abuse, Lewis' suicide, the date rape storyline

Yea its always had a dark streak with the BIB was all pre 2010. But it pulled it off good then, now you have the SL outcome then no aftermath.

Lisa Hunters self harming, Toby Mills killing spree, Mandy and Laura, the Naill storyline they were all quite dark and before 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Max/OB & Lee/Bombhead

Not forgetting Chloe Bruce.
    Forum Member
    It does have a darker odder sense of humour now, in which almost accidental incest between son and father (although Jeremy Irons wouldn't call it that) and somebody accidentally drinking a spiked drink lead to hilarious comedy moments. Plus Maddie's death was dark.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    It does have a darker odder sense of humour now, in which almost accidental incest between son and father (although Jeremy Irons wouldn't call it that) and somebody accidentally drinking a spiked drink lead to hilarious comedy moments. Plus Maddie's death was dark.

That was karma.
    Forum Member
    That was karma.

Genius karma.
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

Yep, you've nailed it. Hollyoaks has always delved into some genuinely tragic places. All of the ones you mention above, but also Ste abusing Amy. Brendan's violence against Ste. Brendan's history of abuse by his Dad. But they were in context. Normal life went on around them, and it gave them much more impact and believability.

Now, it's just RAPE!!! INCEST!!!!! DEAD BABIES!!!! It's become continuous, and basically pointless. It's isn't even really dark now, more ludicrous, because none of it has any impact.
    Forum Member
    Yep, you've nailed it. Hollyoaks has always delved into some genuinely tragic places. All of the ones you mention above, but also Ste abusing Amy. Brendan's violence against Ste. Brendan's history of abuse by his Dad. But they were in context. Normal life went on around them, and it gave them much more impact and believability.

Now, it's just RAPE!!! INCEST!!!!! DEAD BABIES!!!! It's become continuous, and basically pointless. It's isn't even really dark now, more ludicrous, because none of it has any impact.

It is completely a pantomime now.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jeremy Sheffield ;) Unless Irons is a little-known fan :D
  • ellebell6ellebell6 Posts: 58
    Forum Member

Ugh, Jeremy Irons totally creeped me out with those comments, his poor son :confused:
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy Sheffield ;) Unless Irons is a little-known fan :D

Completely got the wrong end of the stick there :blush: Sorry lady_xanax!

Had no idea of Irons' comments until I looked just then, how bizarre!
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it way more depressing than EE, if anything it's them that should have that cliche tag..
    Forum Member
    Completely got the wrong end of the stick there :blush: Sorry lady_xanax!

Had no idea of Irons' comments until I looked just then, how bizarre!

Yes i remembered his dog comment but forgot his hilarious incest comments!