Options

Android exploit. 99% of devices vulnerable.

Comments

• Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Was there ever really a panic

only amongst apple fans in trying to score points quickly :cool:
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Does seem that way :D
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Malware tends to target the least informed users, who will, on the whole, only use Google Play. Additionally some stores, like Amazon's have a their own checking processes to prevent malware.

So I don't see how this perceived risk would prevent me continuing to save money :D
    Simples, you move to Windows Phone or IOS in a rash rush to safety.

I think Microsoft's 'privacy campaign' is running along similar lines.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only amongst apple fans in trying to score points quickly :cool:
    Does seem that way :D

So are you saying it shouldn't be discussed because it is about android and therefore it is only being raised by apple fans?

I assume you would take the same view if this was an apple issue.

I'm an android user and having seem how long it takes for android updates to be provided. I think this is an interesting test of google and its fragmented os.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, MS got it right in that Nokia ad. Two camps protecting their little ones (or in Samsung's case quite a big one), attacking the other camp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »

I'm an android user and having seem how long it takes for android updates to be provided. I think this is an interesting test of google and its fragmented os.

You are also an apple fan, wouldn't you say? ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are also an apple fan, wouldn't you say? ;)

I like my iPad mini, yes. And If you mean do I respond to some of the things posted on here against apple, then yes I'm a fan.

As I use both, I think I am in a position to comment.

I assume you class yourself as an android fan and anti-apple?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like my iPad mini, yes. And If you mean do I respond to some of the things posted on here against apple, then yes I'm a fan.

As I use both, I think I am in a position to comment.

I assume you class yourself as an android fan and anti-apple?

anti apple is a bit strong, but sure, my leanings are obvious to all.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    That update was actually made known yesterday, but it was conveniently ignored. Every platform is going to have its fair share of bumps and kinks along the road, but Google have shown that they're swift to act on these things, Apple have had one recently with the hotspot password fiasco.

...and the 'iForgot' reset process.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are you saying it shouldn't be discussed because it is about android and therefore it is only being raised by apple fans?

I don't think it's an OS update. I think they will/have roll out a Google Play update.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I suspect if this was IOS you would be making a lot more of it :)

How can you honestly say it's a major issue? I certainly don't think it really is. More hyped up crap :rolleyes:

Also, at least Google was quick to act.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

You say your an android user but the reality is you are the most biased, apple loving poster on here.

You think that because you claim to own an android phone it gives you more credibility ... it doesn't ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You say your an android user but the reality is you are the most biased, apple loving poster on here.

You think that because you claim to own an android phone it gives you more credibility ... it doesn't ;)

I think in reality comments like that make you look a little silly. I have no love for apple but I also have no need to be anti them.

I also don't claim to own an android phone, I do own one and have never said anything anti about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I don't think it's an OS update. I think they will/have roll out a Google Play update.

How does updating google play solve the problem for everyone?
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you honestly say it's a major issue? I certainly don't think it really is. More hyped up crap :rolleyes:

Also, at least Google was quick to act.

Indeed. Google are usually always very swift when issues like this come to light. Interestingly, there as been no comment at all from Apple on the vulnerabilities plaguing their system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Google are usually always very swift when issues like this come to light. Interestingly, there as been no comment at all from Apple on the vulnerabilities plaguing their system.

Have google sent an update out to all android phones?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And yet the Nexus line is still vulnerable.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have google sent an update out to all android phones?

They have updated the Play Store, which any Android device can access. Any apps attempting to use the exploit are blocked from being distributed via the Play Store. That has more than curbed the problem for the time being, the only way around that is if users download apps from other stores. Google can't control apps distributed on those stores.

I expect a more complete solution to be included in Android 4.3, but for the time being this has eliminated a significant amount of risk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does updating google play solve the problem for everyone?

They used the same faulty procedure to check uploaded apps, so that's now fixed and you can't download a malware pretending to be a genuine app from them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have updated the Play Store, which any Android device can access. Any apps attempting to use the exploit are blocked from being distributed via the Play Store. That has more than curbed the problem for the time being, the only way around that is if users download apps from other stores. Google can't control apps distributed on those stores.

I expect a more complete solution to be included in Android 4.3, but for the time being this has eliminated a significant amount of risk.

I suppose that also has the benefit of putting more business googles way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet the Nexus line is still vulnerable.

How?

An update to Google Play is being rolled out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose that also has the benefit of putting more business googles way.

What are the other stores? Do they use any security measures or are they just places to download things from?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How?

An update to Google Play is being rolled out.

The Google Play store was secure even as this story was reported yesterday. That's not the issue.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    What are the other stores? Do they use any security measures or are they just places to download things from?
    And I thought you were a developer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Google Play store was secure even as this story was reported yesterday. That's not the issue.

I know that but it's been mostly patched (quickly), so it's unlikely a user would be affected,

As other posters have said the full patch may be in the expected 4.3 update. Or an incremental upgrade to 4.2.