So the Kindle Fire is it anything like as good as Ipad?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know this tablet sold alot over xmas everybody I knew seemed to buy one as it was on offer for £99 quid.

So is it really that good or just ok for casual browsing? I know people who got it who already had an Ipad.

Personally I'd rather have a normal Kindle but I don't read books much. I do feel the Amazon name has sold on and it's low price hence the take up but for me it just seems like another 7" Android tablet you want to put down after 5 mins and you get bored.

So is it just a case of you get what you pay for? If Ipad is out your price range it's ok for the odd bit of browsing?

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its fine for what it is. Its not a ipad replacement and it not good for long sessions of book reading.

Personally I would spend the extra and get the nexus 7 which aside from bring technically much more advanced is also not locked to amazon store.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    its fine for what it is. Its not a ipad replacement and it not good for long sessions of book reading.

Personally I would spend the extra and get the nexus 7 which aside from bring technically much more advanced is also not locked to amazon store.

The nexus 7 and the kindle fire HD are the same price. In America the kindle fire is worth buying because of the access to amazon instant video services, over here though its a bit worthless.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The nexus 7 and the kindle fire HD are the same price. In America the kindle fire is worth buying because of the access to amazon instant video services, over here though its a bit worthless.

OP was talking about the original Fire which is(was) available for under a £100.

As for the FireHD, the only reason I would buy one in the UK is if you are absolutely desperate for a HDMI port
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    OP was talking about the original Fire which is(was) available for under a £100.

As for the FireHD, the only reason I would buy one in the UK is if you are absolutely desperate for a HDMI port

Oh I see thanks. Teach me to reply when I'm tired :o
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    The Fire was never intended to compete with the iPad as I understand it; it's direct competitor is the Nexus. I would get the Nexus, it is a very good tablet and very well priced.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I know this tablet sold alot over xmas everybody I knew seemed to buy one as it was on offer for £99 quid.

So is it really that good or just ok for casual browsing? I know people who got it who already had an Ipad.

Personally I'd rather have a normal Kindle but I don't read books much. I do feel the Amazon name has sold on and it's low price hence the take up but for me it just seems like another 7" Android tablet you want to put down after 5 mins and you get bored.

So is it just a case of you get what you pay for? If Ipad is out your price range it's ok for the odd bit of browsing?

I friend of mine has the Kindle Fire (I have a Nexus 7 and iPad 2). I think the Fire is *OK* but basically it's a colour version of the Kindle which almost exclusively links to Amazon. That's fine; I get most of my content from Amazon but from what I have seen you don't seem to be able to use Android Marketplace etc.

I guess if you have a lot of Kindle books etc. and you want a colour screen then go for it.
  • J-JJ-J Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got a Fire HD and i love it, i have only used my brothers IPAD in very small sessions so cant compare them really, but i know my brother seems impressed with what the Fire HD does.

I bought mine due to the HDMI out, i wanted to be able to stream films and watch them on my tv which works great.

It is a very simple layout to the Fire and i think this is why some people turn their nose up at it, i think for under £100 (which the Fire was for a while) you cant really fault them.

My HD is slightly more expensive and as said above you can get a nexus for roughly the same price which has the benefit of the google market but im happy with my choice as there seems to be loads of apps on the Fire and i would expect there to be lots more coming to as obviously thats why they can sell the devices so cheap as they are making sure that people buy their apps / music / books etc through them.
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought the Mrs a Kindle Fire for Christmas, as an iPad user myself I am very impressed with the Fire considering it's low price point. Screen is as good as my iPad 2, and she enjoys reading her books on it. Plenty of Apps available via the Amazon App store and the Slide Me store which I put on there.

Browsing is fast and websites are displayed nicely, and games such as Angry Birds and World Of Goo work perfectly smoothly on the device. She's been on it at every opportunity since Christmas and charged it just the once so far.

I've put a few albums on it which was easy enough to do, plus the tablet upgraded itself yesterday. For the money you can't go wrong.

:) Mark
  • MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    If money is an issue the Nexus 7 16gb is available for around £160 or less, specs wise its top quality and not tied to Amazons version of Android, saying that though The FireHD is still an excellent product
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Bought the Mrs a Kindle Fire for Christmas, as an iPad user myself I am very impressed with the Fire considering it's low price point. Screen is as good as my iPad 2, and she enjoys reading her books on it. Plenty of Apps available via the Amazon App store and the Slide Me store which I put on there.

Browsing is fast and websites are displayed nicely, and games such as Angry Birds and World Of Goo work perfectly smoothly on the device. She's been on it at every opportunity since Christmas and charged it just the once so far.

I've put a few albums on it which was easy enough to do, plus the tablet upgraded itself yesterday. For the money you can't go wrong.

:) Mark

I agree Mark,my OH bought me one for Christmas and I love it - especially as people were telling him the iPad mini was a better option, he was surprised by the quality of the screen, apps, web browsing etc.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think its as good as a general purpose tablet unless you love reading books.

Like pointed out above, it doesn't have access to the open Google Play store, which is the equivalent of the Apple App store. Without that its just not general enough for me regardless of the spec.