Options

Anyone recognise this casserole dish with hole in centre?

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In a charity shop today I saw what appeared to be a round stoneware type casserole dish with lid.

When I took the lid off however it had me stumped. It was deep and in the centre was a hole. If you can imagine one of those ring moulds for rice dishes it was a bit like that so the hole was at the top.

I have been thinking about it being a tagine but as far as I can see they are just a base (with no hole) with a high domed lid. This wasn't like this.

I'd love to know what it was. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Do you mean a steam hole?
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it sounds like a Bundt pan / dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all 3 of you. It looked just like the pic aggie.

I am still pondering over why it would have a lid though. Years ago I had a metal ring thing which I used to make sponges in and then fill with fruit etc but it's not usual to put a lid on is it?

What else could I use it for?

I think I might have to go back and see if it's still for sale. It was £4.;)
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

I am still pondering over why it would have a lid though. Years ago I had a metal ring thing which I used to make sponges in and then fill with fruit etc but it's not usual to put a lid on is it?

I was told the lid makes it possible to use it on a stove, the original Dutch oven (not the cowboy thingy with legs).
  • Options
    aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member

http://iowagirleats.com/2012/11/04/bundt-pan-roasted-chicken-vegetables/
  • Options
    Gig ghostsGig ghosts Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    In a charity shop today I saw what appeared to be a round stoneware type casserole dish with lid.

When I took the lid off however it had me stumped. It was deep and in the centre was a hole. If you can imagine one of those ring moulds for rice dishes it was a bit like that so the hole was at the top.

I have been thinking about it being a tagine but as far as I can see they are just a base (with no hole) with a high domed lid. This wasn't like this.

I'd love to know what it was. Thanks in advance.

Reminds me of something I saw in Sainsburys: A Wok with holes in it. I just stared at it for 30 seconds thinking, wtf? Turns out its a BBQ Wok. I still don't get it though. Surely to stir-fry on the BBQ, you're going to need oil, which is going to drip into the BBQ and cause a whole heap of acrid smoke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggielane wrote: »

What a good idea. :) I don't think mine would be big enough to cook a family sized chicken, but a weeny one for one person would be excellent I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    breppo wrote: »
    I was told the lid makes it possible to use it on a stove, the original Dutch oven (not the cowboy thingy with legs).

I can't imagine making a cake on the stove but thanks.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine making a cake on the stove but thanks.

People had to. In the north of the Netherlands and Northern Germany for instance there were a lot of people who didn't have an oven at home. The lucky ones lived in villages with a community oven were you could bring your stuff to get baked.. It was only after WWII that more and more people got their own ovens.
    It was only ten years ago that the last community deep freeze facility was closed in a village not far from my hometown.
    Can you imagine?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member