Options

Home & Away lesbian kiss censored!!!

Comments

• Options
    MainEventMafiaMainEventMafia Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I guess that since Charlie has had a few, unsuccessful, heterosexual affairs she probably wasn't born gay.

So will this storyline continue with Charlie choosing to give being gay a chance? Or will she run a mile?

Anyway, wouldn't it be a bit unethical for her, as a Police Officer (not to mention that she is handling the case), to be hooking up with a young, vulnerable rape victim?

What this programme(and others) try to teach is that being gay is a choice that people make. If straight relationships dont work out then give homosexuality a go. Look at Hollyoaks. Craig was as straight as a pole until JP turned him gay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've talked about this subject before the censorship announcement, nothing more to add other than the same as before, 'these ''conservative groups'' are a disgrace who are burying their heads into the sand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    When I was in Australia even Bad Girls was taken off the air due to the lesbian content. Up until 1997 gays were being arrested in Australia as sodomy was not legal in all states and yet nobody seemed concerned that this was happening and this was 1997.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EdwardP wrote: »
    For god sake. Homosexuality is part of life. What's the difference between a woman kissing a man and a woman kissing a woman? People are aware about being gay. It really shouldn't be such a big deal these days.

Totally agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    The Australian government even filters and blocks some gay websites on the internet.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch Home and Away but I did read this article out of interest and I think it's stupid that the BBC are forced to censor a romantic kiss just because the people are same sex. I thought the world started to grow up about this a bit but obviously they have not matured enough to realise that a same sex relationship is no different from an opposite sex one.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    I think this kind of response is hypercritical, which is why I don't believe that it has anything to do with the "children." If no-one complains about exposing their kids to storylines on drugs, murder, rape, sexual abuse, stalkers, etc. then they shouldn't have a problem with a gay kiss.

Any parent with any sense won't expose their children to the above, which means, they're happy with H&A in general. I just wish they had the conviction to stand by their opinions and not use the cliché children excuse.

How can one little ole same-sex kiss, be worse than showcasing promiscuous acts; teens who use their sexuality to get what they want (Freya), or drug use (Belle)?

And if it's not one cliché, it's another. They say they want relationships based on love, over just sex, but where were these complainers when the countless affairs/ONS took place? Without even viewing the story, they automatically judge that because it's same-sex, then it must not be based on anything deep, or loving. Now that's prejudice, and you don't need to trot out the kids cliché to make that point.

I think Seven, are a victim of their own marketing. I don't recall there being any media backlash, when Matilda's bf Dean, came out, and hooked-up with his lover. They held hands, and shared a couple of kissing scenes. Maybe if Seven, hadn't been so keen to publicise this story, then it might just have gone unnoticed.

Oh, and an in depth look at the ratings will say if there was a drop in audience when this story came out... and if there was, then they are viewers that H&A doesn't need.
    Anyway, wouldn't it be a bit unethical for her, as a Police Officer (not to mention that she is handling the case), to be hooking up with a young, vulnerable rape victim?
    I assume that if, Joey was to press charges, then Charlie would step down.

BTW: Just because Charlie hasn't had any previous gay relationships, doesn't make it a conscious choice. Attraction, is attraction, and she can't help that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being gay soooo isn't a choice. I chose to be straight but it just didn't work out... lol. But many gay people have heterosexual relationships - some sexual, some not - prior to coming out and they do this for many reasons. Sometimes they don't realise feelings until later in life, or they're not ready to accept them anyway. And H&A might not be saying that Charlie is a lesbian (although strangely enough... I remember a long time ago.... like way before any of this was even hinted at - she wasn't even dating Roman then and I thought to myself. hmmm.... she'd make a great lesbian character! :D). Anyway, I digress... she might be bisexual. Or she might just have fallen for Joey. Who knows yet?
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    Being gay soooo isn't a choice. I chose to be straight but it just didn't work out... lol. But many gay people have heterosexual relationships - some sexual, some not - prior to coming out and they do this for many reasons. Sometimes they don't realise feelings until later in life, or they're not ready to accept them anyway. And H&A might not be saying that Charlie is a lesbian (although strangely enough... I remember a long time ago.... like way before any of this was even hinted at - she wasn't even dating Roman then and I thought to myself. hmmm.... she'd make a great lesbian character! :D). Anyway, I digress... she might be bisexual. Or she might just have fallen for Joey. Who knows yet?

I agree with you, and also, to me, love is love at the end of the day. I don't choose to be bi, I was obvs just born that way lol. Charlie might not be bi/gay, but she may have just fallen for Joey like you said. That doesn't mean she might start fancying other girls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I agree with you, and also, to me, love is love at the end of the day. I don't choose to be bi, I was obvs just born that way lol. Charlie might not be bi/gay, but she may have just fallen for Joey like you said. That doesn't mean she might start fancying other girls.

You've said it perfectly. "Love is love." You can't help who you fall for. And you can't help the way you were made... bi, gay. straight, trans... somewhere in between. I really hope that H&A do this story well. I think they will as they do seem to care about it very much. I've been disappointed in the past - possibly the only brave thing they did (for the time) was Shannon and Mandy but Charlie and Joey could be pretty ground breaking. Between this and Eastenders at the moment I am officially a soap addict right now. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    sexcdude20 wrote: »
    Ah, typical response from an Australian when it comes to homosexuality LOL

Thanks for proving my point :D
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that 7 on their H&A coverage show a picture of Roman and Leah is a passionate snog. Just makes you wonder if they missed the irony.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    ... BTW: Just because Charlie hasn't had any previous gay relationships, doesn't make it a conscious choice. Attraction, is attraction, and she can't help that.

In the UK, at least, we don't actually know how it's going to turn out yet anyway.

Will Charlie respond positively? Or will she run a mile?

There are posts around from people saying "Gay isn't a choice, I was born that way. End of"

Other posts where people change mid-life.

Yet others that admit to liking it both ways.

More and more it seems to be more logical, in my mind at least, to agree with the idea that we are all born with the potential to be Bisexual but some ending up preferring Heterosexual relationships and others preferring Homosexual ones.
  • Options
    UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are posts around from people saying "Gay isn't a choice, I was born that way. End of"

Other posts where people change mid-life.

Yet others that admit to liking it both ways.

More and more it seems to be more logical, in my mind at least, to agree with the idea that we are all born with the potential to be Bisexual but some ending up preferring Heterosexual relationships and others preferring Homosexual ones.

But this is just another way of imposing a "one-size fits all" sexuality on everyone instead of accepting that people are different. Why do this, why don't you just accept that you can't explain away everyone's sexual and romantic feelings with one trite catch-all provision?

Human sexuality and romantic love is complicated, for one thing. And for another, I don't even think your assessment works, as I know some gay (and straight) friends who profess to not have much capacity for bisexuality and I daresay I believe them rather than thinking "we are all bisexual."

As a gay woman myself I can see that I like men more than some of my lesbian friends do and there probably has been a small element of choice in that I have given up trying to act on the very low level feeling I have for men seeing as the feelings for women outweigh it.

Having said that, I wouldn't try to apply those same feelings and experience to EVERYONE.

Some people are straight. Some people are gay. Some people are bi. Some people don't know. Some people's sexuality is not fixed. That is about all we can say and I don't see why we need to say more. Can we not just be comfortable with the idea that not everyone's life can be explained the same way?

I appreciate you are trying to say that preferences apply in the end but I am just utterly bemused why we feel we need to say that everyone single human being can be pinned down to the idea of "basically bisexual but obviously a preference kicks in at some point." I think for some people it is not as fluid or potentially changeable as that. And obviously for some others, it is. That's people for you.

In any case - I think they will show the kiss.
  • Options
    cfc86cfc86 Posts: 31,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What this programme(and others) try to teach is that being gay is a choice that people make. If straight relationships dont work out then give homosexuality a go. Look at Hollyoaks. Craig was as straight as a pole until JP turned him gay.

Agree with this apart from the last bit.
    You can't 'turn' anyone gay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Craig fell in love with JP though. It wasn't like he made a concious decision to just be gay. When he returned he even told JP he'd had a gf but ladswise there was only him.

I think this is how they'll do it with Charlie, having her fall for Joey, regardless of her gender.
  • Options
    EdwardPEdwardP Posts: 3,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would be even more outrage if Roman and Aden were seen holding hands and walking up the stairs to the bedroom!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both fit characters! I'm sure that would make some gay men out there very happy! Althoguh I'm sure many people would punch their TV's in outrage over in Aus!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I mean :D

Two men holding hands like that and making eyes at each other before heading away to make love. Aus would be outraged and disgusted!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people may even self combust!! haha. Obviously not all people are like that, but I don't get it over a kiss? Maybe we're all just too liberal!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only people who truly do get it are the biggits who made all the complaints!
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But this is just another way of imposing a "one-size fits all" sexuality on everyone instead of accepting that people are different. Why do this, why don't you just accept that you can't explain away everyone's sexual and romantic feelings with one trite catch-all provision?

Given the lack of any scientific evidence we only have our own opinions to go on.

Being "born" gay / straight fits some people but doesn't necessarily fit with those whose sexuality changes throughout their life.

I think that maybe a lot of people think of being bisexual as meaning having sex with either gender, IMHO I merely see it as a potential.

Let me try a little analogy.

At the beginning of life you stand at a fork in a road. To the left is heterosexuality. To the right is homosexuality.

Some people stay on the left fork and are heterosexual all of their lives.

Some people stay on the right fork and are homosexual all of their lives.

However, who's to say that there aren't tracks along the route which allow people to switch from one route to the other as your partners attract you.

I just don't see sexuality as immutable, ie it has the possibility of changing.

EdwardP wrote: »
    I think the only people who truly do get it are the biggits who made all the complaints!

Home & Away: 'Cut kiss' rumours are NOT true
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the lack of any scientific evidence we only have our own opinions to go on.

Being "born" gay / straight fits some people but doesn't necessarily fit with those whose sexuality changes throughout their life.

I think that maybe a lot of people think of being bisexual as meaning having sex with either gender, IMHO I merely see it as a potential.

At the beginning of life you stand at a fork in a road. To the left is heterosexuality. To the right is homosexuality.

However, who's to say that there aren't tracks along the route which allow people to switch from one route to the other as your partners attract you.

Yes, I've read the thread, THANK YOU!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member

I'm bisexual and I don't really believe people who are straight or gay change their sexuality-I think they stay what they are. Being bisexual is different, you can be and are attracted to both to varying degree's at different times, that is not changing your sexuality as you are always bisexual.

I think the only thing that's changable about a persons sexuality is their perception of it, you may believe your one thing but realise for whatever reason you were lying about/supressing your true sexuality.

Charlie could well be bisexual or even gay and have not admitted it or even realised it, that to me is very realistic. But I don't believe that Charlie was straight and then suddenly turns bi, sexuality is not a choice. If Charlie is sexually attracted to Joey then I believe a part of her has always been at least bisexual and she just didn't realise it till now, her sexuality IMO doesn't just flip to something else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will it be censored from our viewing? i mean we arnt as behind timesas them,