Options

The Glenda Mitchell/Glynis Barber Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    LaneKentLaneKent Posts: 2,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On http://www.tvtv.co.uk they have a picture of Ronnie and Glenda together for the 14th March but when I last looked there was still no synopsis. So don't know if they have the wrong picture or if this means that Glenda will still be around after next week? If she is still around, and the picture is in the right episode date, then this indicates more Glenda and Ronnie stuff and just maybe we will get some kind of proper resolution to their story?

Now I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Great improvement on most of last week.

While it didn't require your full attention, there was plenty to keep you interested. Perhaps it might be perceived as too fast-paced for some, but I kind of like those type of episodes. Plenty of characters, plenty going on. Right from the start with those having sleepless nights at 4:30 in the morning until the Duff Duff.

Re: Glenda. I've been thinking for a while what happened to Carol's job at the Bookies, now she was working at the Cafe. However Carol answered that by revealing she still worked there too. A nice nod to her friendship with Glenda as well. Also looks like Glenda has had her hair tidied as that random bit of hair of hers seems to be gone?

Ronnie's story finally stepped up a gear starting with early in the episode her sleepless night, ending with her lies to Glenda. Glenda does seem to be genuinely concerned for her too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaneKent wrote: »
    On http://www.tvtv.co.uk they have a picture of Ronnie and Glenda together for the 14th March but when I last looked there was still no synopsis. So don't know if they have the wrong picture or if this means that Glenda will still be around after next week? If she is still around, and the picture is in the right episode date, then this indicates more Glenda and Ronnie stuff and just maybe we will get some kind of proper resolution to their story?

Now I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Great improvement on most of last week.

While it didn't require your full attention, there was plenty to keep you interested. Perhaps it might be perceived as too fast-paced for some, but I kind of like those type of episodes. Plenty of characters, plenty going on. Right from the start with those having sleepless nights at 4:30 in the morning until the Duff Duff.

Re: Glenda. I've been thinking for a while what happened to Carol's job at the Bookies, now she was working at the Cafe. However Carol answered that by revealing she still worked there too. A nice nod to her friendship with Glenda as well. Also looks like Glenda has had her hair tidied as that random bit of hair of hers seems to be gone?

Ronnie's story finally stepped up a gear starting with early in the episode her sleepless night, ending with her lies to Glenda. Glenda does seem to be genuinely concerned for her too.

Wouldn't let me edit my past post for some reason, so had to do a new post. As expected it has been confirmed that Glenda goes on the 8th. Digital Spy have the tvtv picture for the 7th and confirm in the below news items that she leaves on the 8th.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/scoop/a306385/qa-eastenders-star-glynis-barber.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a306384/enders-star-discusses-glenda-exit-plot.html

Spoliers:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/spoilers/a306157/glendas-questions-terrify-ronnie.html

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/spoilers/a306160/glendas-luck-runs-out.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, from some of the stuff I have read since this was announced, that Glenda will be back in the not too distant future.

Glenis Barber is already suggesting how the character may return and reading between the lines, I think she probably has already agreed to-I certainly hope so.
  • Options
    MarcoRossiMarcoRossi Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leosw4 wrote: »
    I think, from some of the stuff I have read since this was announced, that Glenda will be back in the not too distant future.

Glenis Barber is already suggesting how the character may return and reading between the lines, I think she probably has already agreed to-I certainly hope so.

I hope so too. She's definitely more enjoyable and interesting to watch than either of her daughters, or any of the other MItchell clan for that matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't know how much of this thread you have read. However there is a very telling statement on her biography page. The media are just quoting her home page.

I think with her biography page and everything that is being said today, the 8th March is not the end.

Really hoping there is a surprise twist and she will be back for Ronnie's exit.

Meanwhile it would be good to see in the coming weeks Phil's empire start to crumble and he comes to realise someone has it in for him. He then has to sell his share in R&R to an unknown. Then the unknown buyer turns out to be Glenda's latest boyfriend and he would be equally as ruthless as Phil. don't think Glenda should have money herself though as that would take away some the tragic trait ofher character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't know how much of this thread you have read. However there is a very telling statement on her biography page. The media are just quoting her home page.

I think with her biography page and everything that is being said today, the 8th March is not the end.

Meanwhile it would be good to see in the coming weeks Phil's empire start to crumble and he comes to realise someone has it in for him. He then has to sell his share in R&R to an unknown. Then the unknown buyer turns out to be Glenda's latest boyfriend and he would be equally as ruthless as Phil. don't think Glenda should have money herself though as that would take away some the tragic trait ofher character.
  • Options
    TakeachancexTakeachancex Posts: 8,029
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the info LaneKent. Can't believe we only have one more week of Glenda. :(

Her interview on here was very telling though.. 'the stage is all set for her to return..' - and the way she spoke about her relationship with Ronnie and Roxy.. oh and also her relationship with Phil and how there is a lot of 'unfinished business' - this definitely hints at a return if you ask me *is hopeful*

Tonight's episode is going to be very good Glenda-wise i reckon.. looking forward to seeing her scenes with Ronnie. Was really lovely seeing how concerned she looked for her in last nights episode.. only bad thing is that this is making me even more sad that she's leaving now. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenda was great tonight!!! Love seeing this maternal side of her.. she looked genuinely concerned for Ronnie - loved seeing her act like a proper mother tonight.. oh how i'll miss her :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please delete shouldn't of posted aagain. Got stuck in mobile cache.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    I loved Glenda tonight! It reminded me of that conversation her and Ronnie had over a year back. They work so well together, but Glenda looks almost too young to be Ronnie and Roxy's mother :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching Tuesday's episode. 2 out of 2, this week is shaping up well.

I liked all of Glenda's scenes and this episode was one of those episodes that highlighted why I find the character interesting. She is so paradoxical. On the one hand she abandoned her girls to their fate with Archie, goes around without a care in the world, however on the odd occasion she lets us in and we realise how much she does love her girls. Such a wasted opportunity that she probably won't be there for the reveal? Maybe she will feature somewhere in the aftermath?

I had a crazy thought today, Eddie Moon. Do we have any more details on when he is coming into the series? Do we know if he is bringing a wife or just more family? Is he going to be villain, lovable rogue, rich or just a nice man?

I ask all this because people were speculating that he might be a love interest for Glenda. I didn't pay a lot of attention at the time because it was speculation and I am not really interested in the Moons, other than Alfie. However after reading some of Glynis's views on what she would like to see for Glenda in the future, I thought, what if off-screen they connect together and realise that they both have things to sort out in Albert Square. We know relations between Eddie and Michael aren't good. We know Roxy and Michael are going to become an item.

I must stress I wouldn't like this to happen at all, but it crossed my mind that's all. I suspect it won't be the case and it would be rather too convenient but if Tamwar can fall for the daughter of his mother's ex-husband, anything is possible in the Walford universe.

With the news that Charlie Slater returns for two episodes and has either just filmed them or is filming them and they are filming the end of April now, would suggest to me the baby swap reveal is between 14th - 29th April. He must be coming back for that surely? We know Ronnie has the baby still on the 14th April
    as that looks to be the wedding day for Tanya and she still has the baby in pictures.

So unless Glynis has duped us, and she is back filming, she cannot be there for the reveal.

It does make me wonder if Ronnie will actually go off screen in May as opposed to stop filming in May? Unless we see her a few weeks later in hospital/prison. I remember them saying because of the controversy in the aftermath they wanted to focus on the Moons happiness at having Tommy back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preview episode clip for Glenda from This Morning.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/Endersfan#videoId=xhcmjy

Don't forget Glynis's 'New Tricks' episode tomorrow.

Not a bad episode tonight, actually quite good. Flowed nicely.

One plot hole. Surely Glenda and Roxy went straight home so how did Masood have time to plant the money?

Glenda was on top form tonight with all her character traits coming together at once. She deserves everything she is going to get from Shirley no mistaking that. But she doesn't deserve to lose her daughter or be framed for something she didn't do. And while at times the standard of Glynis Barber's acting can be argued, she always comes through in emotional scenes.

How dumb is Roxy? For starters would someone let you search their room if they had something to hide? Not to mention Glenda is broke and Phil has been roling in it. I really hope following the baby swap that Roxy will come to realise that a) her mother was correct about Ronni, b) Phil has been manipulating both her and her mother and c) he stole her money. Would really like to see Roxy isolated from the other Mitchells as families do splinter. Especially if her mother comes back at all.

Can't believe a week ago we only had suspicions that the end was nigh for Glenda and now she only has 3 episodes left and there has been no official announcement, the only confirmation has come from Glynis herself. I hope there is a really big twist return in a few months time and Glynis isn't playing with words. Glenda very much has un-finished business in the Square.

I am more than a bit concerned to see that Daran Little is writing Glenda's last two episodes.

As Daran is writing Monday and Tuesday's episodes, I am betting the sleezy affairs were his idea. Afterall he coined the phrase "Aunty Glenda." His best material is often when he is writing women in the most degrading manner (e.g. drunk, gobby, being sluts) but it can also prove sickening and repetitive after a while.

Wonder if we will be left feeling sorry for Glenda or if we will think she has got her comeuppance? Perhaps a combination of the two. Afterall I think she deserves anything she has coming her way from Shirley and Jane. But she doesn't deserve what happens with her daughters as she has really tried to be there for them.

Oh well with Daran Little it could go any way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching Tuesday's episode. 2 out of 2, this week is shaping up well.

I liked all of Glenda's scenes and this episode was one of those episodes that highlighted why I find the character interesting. She is so paradoxical. On the one hand she abandoned her girls to their fate with Archie, goes around without a care in the world, however on the odd occasion she lets us in and we realise how much she does love her girls. Such a wasted opportunity that she probably won't be there for the reveal? Maybe she will feature somewhere in the aftermath?

This week really has been fantastic Glenda-wise - I really do feel as though Glynis has been on top form in terms of her acting.. a lot more natural in some of the delivery of her lines (like when she said oh here comes the bride of frankenstein, and when she criticised the wallpaper haha :D)

It really is such a wasted opportunity and the more I see Glenda in an episode now the more sad it makes me.. a couple of weeks ago we would have been so happy about this but now we know she's leaving it just feels like such a waste. I was hoping she'd be back for the reveal too but doesn't look that way.

I had a crazy thought today, Eddie Moon. Do we have any more details on when he is coming into the series? Do we know if he is bringing a wife or just more family? Is he going to be villain, lovable rogue, rich or just a nice man?

I ask all this because people were speculating that he might be a love interest for Glenda. I didn't pay a lot of attention at the time because it was speculation and I am not really interested in the Moons, other than Alfie. However after reading some of Glynis's views on what she would like to see for Glenda in the future, I thought, what if off-screen they connect together and realise that they both have things to sort out in Albert Square. We know relations between Eddie and Michael aren't good. We know Roxy and Michael are going to become an item.

This is a very interesting idea actually! I don't actually know when he is coming back and how long he is going to be sticking around.. but it does sound like he would be someone Glenda would be interested in. I'm not sure if he's even started filming yet or what.. but I do like the idea of them connecting off screen and coming back together knowing they have 'unfinished business' - if Glenda is to return I would really love to see her with a strong male, purely because I want to see how she acts around him and whether some of the vulnerabilities will come out of her, similar to when she was with Archie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Glynis's 'New Tricks' episode tomorrow.
    I'm just about to watch this actually - did you see it? Was it any good?
    One plot hole. Surely Glenda and Roxy went straight home so how did Masood have time to plant the money?

I did wonder this too. But of course Phil is superman and is capable of doing anything. :eek: Getting very sick of this to be honest - not just in terms of Glenda but the way he acts with Shirley also.. completely lying to her face and her actually 'believing' it (i don't think she's 100% convinced).. so glad that she does find out. I hope she gives him a good kick where it hurts.
    And while at times the standard of Glynis Barber's acting can be argued, she always comes through in emotional scenes.

Glynis really has been fantastic this week - and I agree when you say that she always comes through in emotional scenes. She's also getting a lot better at comedy scenes too.. her delivery of comedic lines are becoming a lot more natural now, yet overall she still maintains the camp-ness when needed. Going to miss her a lot. :cry:
    How dumb is Roxy? For starters would someone let you search their room if they had something to hide? Not to mention Glenda is broke and Phil has been roling in it. I really hope following the baby swap that Roxy will come to realise that a) her mother was correct about Ronni, b) Phil has been manipulating both her and her mother and c) he stole her money. Would really like to see Roxy isolated from the other Mitchells as families do splinter. Especially if her mother comes back at all.

Roxy is really really irritating me. How on Earth someone can be that plain stupid is completely beyond me. You can literally see her mind working whenever anyone talks to her.. Glenda tells her something, she believes it. Five seconds later Phil tells her the opposite, she believes it. Completely ridiculous - I understand that Glenda has not been the best of mothers in the past and yes she did try to con her with Danny but she pulled out last minute - and more importantly like you say.. Phil suddenly comes into thousands of pounds at the exact time that Roxy suddenly loses everything - Glenda has nothing - doesn't really take a genius to work it out, and as Glenda said - Phil was hardly going to admit it was he?! Also why would Glenda say she was sleeping with Phil if it wasn't true?! Sleeping with your 'nephew' is not something you would randomly throw out there is it.. oh Roxy.. :rolleyes:

Ronnie surprised me a bit actually - she's normally very on the ball and I thought she would have spotted a mile off that her mother was actually speaking the truth seeing as she suspected Phil stole Roxy's money when she returned from her honeymoon. But I guess she's got other things clouding her mind to say the least.. !

I also hope that Roxy finds out too - she has to. I don't think they could leave something like this 'un-revealed'. I do wonder whether Glenda will tell Roxy about her suspicions regarding Ronnie - if she does then like you say, she could find out that her mother was telling the truth about this, which could lead link to her finding out that Phil did steal her money. Either way, she just has to find out - and I hope she feels incredibly stupid when she does.

Can't believe a week ago we only had suspicions that the end was nigh for Glenda and now she only has 3 episodes left and there has been no official announcement, the only confirmation has come from Glynis herself. I hope there is a really big twist return in a few months time and Glynis isn't playing with words. Glenda very much has un-finished business in the Square.

I know. It really is upsetting - I'm trying just to focus on enjoying her last episodes but obviously you can't help but feel very sad that these are her last. Especially as her leaving feels so sudden and unexpected (to me anyway - I know you had a feeling she was leaving but I genuinely had no idea!)

Glenda definitely does have unfinished business in the square - and unless Glynis didn't want to return then I really don't see why she wouldn't. I genuinely don't think that Glynis would have written something which hinted so much at a return if there was no meaning behind it - hopefully it's just a matter of time, otherwise.. what the biggest waste of a character ever. :(

Wonder if we will be left feeling sorry for Glenda or if we will think she has got her comeuppance? Perhaps a combination of the two. Afterall I think she deserves anything she has coming her way from Shirley and Jane. But she doesn't deserve what happens with her daughters as she has really tried to be there for them.

I wonder this too - I think for both of us we'll feel sorry for her, but whether the wider audience will feel the same... hard to tell. One thing that I cannot stand are injustices - when people are wrongly accused of something and nobody believes their innocence - which is why I think the very fact that she's been forced to leave with Roxy believing she stole her money is just unfair, and something which she doesn't deserve at all. I know she hasn't been the best mother but she actually has stuck by her daughters very recently in the past couple of weeks... i've loved some of the advice she's given Roxy and her being there for Ronnie - wanting to go to her sessions with her, even following her to the church - have been very heartwarming.

I do agree that she deserves a slap off Shirley and Jane - but her daughters, no. Months ago, yes she maybe did, but recently you can see the effort she has gone to to try and be there for her daughters, something which would have developed and got stronger and stronger if she wasn't leaving. :(

Another thing i want to mention is her 'blackmailing' Ronnie - I thought Glynis was especially great in this scene. The way she said 'I knew you'd see sense in the end' was really quite sad but sinister at the same time. You can see how similar her and Ronnie are - she both would resort to anything when desperate: Ronnie driving her mother out of the square and Glenda effectively blackmailing her - but in Glenda's defence she really had no choice.. she had to say something to make Ronnie listen.

I can't believe we only have 2 more episodes. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh wow it looks as though Glynis is up for Best Villain in the BSA's ! Very unlikely she will win seeing as many people don't even regard her as being a 'villain' (me included), but I shall still be voting for her. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow it looks as though Glynis is up for Best Villain in the BSA's ! Very unlikely she will win seeing as many people don't even regard her as being a 'villain' (me included), but I shall still be voting for her. :D

How bizarre. Thanks for telling me. I was hoping to vote for Janine. I know I still can but I kind of feel torn. I've now read the nominations and there are some really weird choices all round. To me it seems they have put some names in knowing full well they won't get voted for, to perhaps guide who they do want to win.

As they have put Zoe Lucker up for sexiest woman, then there is no reason why they didn't put Glynis in there. I think most people are feeling sorry for Glenda on how Pil is treating her. She doesn't stand chance at villain.
    This week really has been fantastic Glenda-wise - I really do feel as though Glynis has been on top form in terms of her acting.. a lot more natural in some of the delivery of her lines (like when she said oh here comes the bride of frankenstein, and when she criticised the wallpaper haha :D)

That had me LOL. Brilliant week regards to Glenda. They covered all her character traits ie bitchy asides, comedy, her genuine love and concern for her daughters. Showed us that she can be a victim at times too. They even reminded us of her suicide attempt through Ian.
    It really is such a wasted opportunity and the more I see Glenda in an episode now the more sad it makes me.. a couple of weeks ago we would have been so happy about this but now we know she's leaving it just feels like such a waste. I was hoping she'd be back for the reveal too but doesn't look that way.

I know. It is only a TV character but I do feel really sad she is going and unless they have some surprise up their sleeves, there is a lot of wasted opportunities.

I wouldn't mind if her character was going and it had some closeure, wouldn't mind even if it was sad. However there has been so much teased about her character, such as OCD, self harm, careful what she eats, her low self-esteem just to mention a few things that it seems wasted if she is going for good.

I've said it before but I really don't get the point of the last 6 months if she is going now for good? What purpose has she really served other than tease us. She could of gone after the reveal - which was very ambiguous. It would of had the same result, her girls wouldn't be speaking to her.
    This is a very interesting idea actually! I don't actually know when he is coming back and how long he is going to be sticking around.. but it does sound like he would be someone Glenda would be interested in. I'm not sure if he's even started filming yet or what.. but I do like the idea of them connecting off screen and coming back together knowing they have 'unfinished business'

It was just a passing idea, in reality I don't think it will happen. Michael Moon on the other hand. They have set some ground work there, and now there are reports
    he is going to cheat on Roxy
    so they could do an Emmerdale. They are setting up the ground work on him becoming enemies with the Mitchells
    with the baby swap and when Ronnie turns to Phil to help wreck his business
    Glenda will want revenge for Phil. I don't think she would want to hurt Roxy though, unless she feels so let down by Roxy.
    if Glenda is to return I would really love to see her with a strong male, purely because I want to see how she acts around him and whether some of the vulnerabilities will come out of her, similar to when she was with Archie.

Agreed. They missed a trick with Harry Gold as I think we have said before and I know others have elsewhere. Really want to see the Archie/Glenda dynamics.

If Glenda comes back I don't think she should have money because that is part of her character makeup. She ought to have money but doesn't. So no I don't want her with her own money but a strong male who helps her get revenge and on the surface is giving her some kind of status while behind closed doors she is being abused, would be quite fitting.

If she didn't have a strong male, then I think I would like her to hit rock bottom. Maybe Carol and Roxy go and find her and she has been living rough and mistreated etc. That way she could start in Albert Square with a clean sheet.
    I'm just about to watch this actually - did you see it? Was it any good?

Still got 'New Tricks' on the Sky+ to watch. Have you seen it now? I am glad they have reshown this episode because it has a Lois & Clark actor in it too.
    I did wonder this too. But of course Phil is superman and is capable of doing anything. :eek: Getting very sick of this to be honest - not just in terms of Glenda but the way he acts with Shirley also.. completely lying to her face and her actually 'believing' it (i don't think she's 100% convinced).. so glad that she does find out. I hope she gives him a good kick where it hurts.

Yes, I am hoping Phil is headed for a big full in the not too distant future. I hate injustices and he can't keep getting away with these things. As to Glenda, on one level you could say she is paying the price for her games with the loss of the two things she cares about - her daughters. But it doesn't seem right. I really would like Roxy to a) find out after her mother has just left or b) when she loses everyone and finds herself increasingly isolated. I just hope Phil does get found out and it doesn't get forgotten. Knowing Roxy she will probably say "oh my mum didn't steal my money, never mind I still hate her." And then have drinks with Phil and Shirley the next day.
    Glynis really has been fantastic this week - and I agree when you say that she always comes through in emotional scenes. She's also getting a lot better at comedy scenes too.. her delivery of comedic lines are becoming a lot more natural now, yet overall she still maintains the camp-ness when needed. Going to miss her a lot. :cry:

Agreed
    Ronnie surprised me a bit actually - she's normally very on the ball and I thought she would have spotted a mile off that her mother was actually speaking the truth seeing as she suspected Phil stole Roxy's money when she returned from her honeymoon. But I guess she's got other things clouding her mind to say the least.. !

Yes, I think she is just too wrapped up in her own problems to care. Maybe Ronnie will find out tonight or at some future point work it out, and then keep that information stored up. Perhaps Ronnie will tell Roxy to go and look for their mother when Ronnie goes for good?
    I know. It really is upsetting - I'm trying just to focus on enjoying her last episodes but obviously you can't help but feel very sad that these are her last. Especially as her leaving feels so sudden and unexpected (to me anyway - I know you had a feeling she was leaving but I genuinely had no idea!)

Glenda definitely does have unfinished business in the square

And I think that is why it seems sad she is going because her story was not fininshed. In many ways her story was just starting.

On some level it makes sense that she goes away for a bit while other stories take centre stage, but it shouldn't be for good unless Glynis wants out - which I find hard to believe considering she is talking of possible returns.
    and unless Glynis didn't want to return then I really don't see why she wouldn't. I genuinely don't think that Glynis would have written something which hinted so much at a return if there was no meaning behind it - hopefully it's just a matter of time, otherwise.. what the biggest waste of a character ever. :(

Agreed. Her home page and the Q&A interview, then maybe, but normally people say the door has been left open without all the wording. However what is written on her biography page would be madness, if there isn't geuine intentions to bring her back. Even if someone else is editing her biography section, they wouldn't just write that without something they know to base it on.

I think there is a good chance that they at least have something planned, because of the suddeness of her announcement and it only coming from Glynis. The question is when is she coming back and how long for?

I do think that if she does come back it could be for a specific story and may not be for long. However one episode would suite me if they just wrap the loose ends with her daughters. Even if at the end of it they all decide never to speak again, at least it would be under the correct circumstances and not because of lies and scheming.
    I wonder this too - I think for both of us we'll feel sorry for her, but whether the wider audience will feel the same... hard to tell.

People on the forums seem to be on her side over Phil. I think so far they are playing it that she is a victim of Phil. And her actions with Ronnie on Friday, were so obviously out of desperation.Could be wrong though. Will be very interesting to see how her exit pans out.
    One thing that I cannot stand are injustices - when people are wrongly accused of something and nobody believes their innocence - which is why I think the very fact that she's been forced to leave with Roxy believing she stole her money is just unfair, and something which she doesn't deserve at all.

Agreed and that is what is making her departure worse. I don't know much about EastEnders past but do they ever leave things like this unresolved? To my mind if she just comes back for one episode to clear her name, it will be enough for me.
    I can't believe we only have 2 more episodes. :(

Really looking forward to these. I don't think Roxy or Ronnie are in any episodes after Tuesday for a bit. Surprised they aren't at Phil and Shirley's wedding/non-wedding.

Please forgive any typing errors in this. My laptop is playing up. I am typing too fast for it and it keeps missing keys out or putting too many in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episode, maybe not as good as some of last week, but still fine.

Poor Glenda, she does love her daughters and is trying to do what is right by Ronnie. It is unfair that she is being pushed out of the Square for all the wrong reasons - ie Roxy thinks she stole her money, and Ronnie scheming and plotting as Glenda has got too close to her secret. Pushed out for her affairs would be acceptable but not for others' deceit.

Jack was actually civil to Glenda and doesn't see her as a mother-in-law type of person. I think I know what he means, but with Jack you just never do know?

I'm afraid to say that while Ronnie is not right in the head, you could tell that she also knew what she was doing to Glenda was wrong. She was feeling guilty about it and even said sorry to her, however Glenda is too close to her secret. In her current state of mind Ronnie would get rid of anyone who gets too close to her secret. I think she would do the same to Roxy, but there is no chance of that as Roxy only has 2 brain cells so will never be a threat.

I am afraid Ronnie is ill, but she is not deluded enough to protect herself from those who are a threat to her. It is slowly eating her up too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a great episode - but now I am SO sad :( Cannot believe there's no more Glenda.

Glynis was fantastic tonight. Some of her one liners had me in hysterics. Once again we got to see all her personality traits - emotion, vulnerability, bitchiness and comedy. Her scenes with Roxy and Ronnie almost had me in tears.. I genuinely felt so sorry for her - you can see her love for her girls is genuine. I think in any other circumstances Ronnie would have been won round.. i think she does know her mother loves her but because of the baby swap she's allowing that to cloud her judgment - Roxy on the other hand has never really experienced that closeness with her mother, so would be less willing to forgive her anyway. Ronnie will be regretting her actions in a few months when the baby swap is revealed... she'll be needing all the allies she can get.

What I absolutely loved were Glenda's final scenes - you could tell she was genuinely threatened when Shirley approached her (and I certainly don't blame her !!!) and when she dragged her into the chippy and made her repeat all that stuff about her being nothing etc. However, literally the MOMENT when Shirley let her go and she could see she had an escape through the door (I think the camera even panned to the door which was open for her to leave to enforce this) she literally snapped out of the vulernable, scared woman back into bitchy-Glenda mode.. I absolutely loved this. I do love Shirley but what Glenda said about her was 100% correct - I'm glad she did say it to her because she really deserves better than Phil.. the way he has reacted to this, saying that the family couldn't survive without him and that they're gonna end up together anyway just shows how pig-headed and arrogant he is. Shirley needs to prove him wrong.

Glenda picking up her suitcase and leaving was also interesting.. i'm sure she had a smirk on her face! I really am just praying now that this is not the last we've seen of her.. tonight brought out even more about her and these past couple of weeks have made it even harder to say goodbye to her. Hoping it's just a matter of time before she returns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How bizarre. Thanks for telling me. I was hoping to vote for Janine. I know I still can but I kind of feel torn. I've now read the nominations and there are some really weird choices all round. To me it seems they have put some names in knowing full well they won't get voted for, to perhaps guide who they do want to win.

No problem. I was shocked myself - but when you think about it, it does make sense - EE don't really have a proper 'villain' these days - Lucas was until he left last summer, Janine was until Christmas time.. but hasn't featured on screen much since.. the only other person is Glenda because of the blackmailing/sleeping around stuff.. but like you say she doesn't stand a chance. I still voted for her though :D

Yeah agreed about the bit about how they seem to have thrown some random nominations in - this becomes clear especially in the Best Actress category - Jessie, Lindsey and Nina - Jessie is bound to WALK it - whilst the other two are outstanding also, they just don't have the popularity unfortunately.

That had me LOL. Brilliant week regards to Glenda. They covered all her character traits ie bitchy asides, comedy, her genuine love and concern for her daughters. Showed us that she can be a victim at times too. They even reminded us of her suicide attempt through Ian.

It was hilarious :D It has been such a brilliant week, and you're right - they have covered all her character traits - especially tonights episode as well. I love how her personality just snaps and changes within an instant. Nice touch with the reminder of the suicide attempt as well. Desperate Ian does make me laugh..

I wouldn't mind if her character was going and it had some closeure, wouldn't mind even if it was sad. However there has been so much teased about her character, such as OCD, self harm, careful what she eats, her low self-esteem just to mention a few things that it seems wasted if she is going for good.

I completely agree. If we felt like we had found out everything we needed to know about her and eveyrthing had been explored, yes we would be sad about her going but I would completely accept it and just enjoy her exit and her time on screen - but like you say, there's SOOOOO much more to be explored it's actually quite ridiculous - and this last week has done nothing but bring out even MORE things to be explored. It seems like every episode we find out something more about her.. the careful eating thing seems to have been touched upon in the other episode which was very interesting.... I think this is why we just can't accept that she's gone for good. What a waste if that is the case.
    I've said it before but I really don't get the point of the last 6 months if she is going now for good? What purpose has she really served other than tease us. She could of gone after the reveal - which was very ambiguous. It would of had the same result, her girls wouldn't be speaking to her.

Exactly. It feels as though she was just used to create exits for Phil and Jane - but surely they could have come up with something different involving someone else. I am dying for Roxy to find out the truth and I hope that Ronnie realises how much she needs her mother later down the line. She really was the only person I could see who would actually be there for Ronnie after the reveal - Roxy would come round later on but she would just freak at first and want nothing to do with her for a good few months I can imagine.

It was just a passing idea, in reality I don't think it will happen. Michael Moon on the other hand. They have set some ground work there, and now there are reports
    he is going to cheat on Roxy
    so they could do an Emmerdale. They are setting up the ground work on him becoming enemies with the Mitchells
    with the baby swap and when Ronnie turns to Phil to help wreck his business
    Glenda will want revenge for Phil. I don't think she would want to hurt Roxy though, unless she feels so let down by Roxy.

Interesting theory!

If Glenda comes back I don't think she should have money because that is part of her character makeup. She ought to have money but doesn't. So no I don't want her with her own money but a strong male who helps her get revenge and on the surface is giving her some kind of status while behind closed doors she is being abused, would be quite fitting.

That's very true actually. A strong male lead would be perfect for her though - a strong male lead with money who she would rely on a lot.. an abuse story would be very suited to her character actually. See, there is an awful lot that can be done with her character.. don't see why it has ended the way it has.
    If she didn't have a strong male, then I think I would like her to hit rock bottom. Maybe Carol and Roxy go and find her and she has been living rough and mistreated etc. That way she could start in Albert Square with a clean sheet.

I love the idea of this! That would be really great. Oh and that also reminds me.. we didn't get one last Carol and Glenda scene. :(

Still got 'New Tricks' on the Sky+ to watch. Have you seen it now? I am glad they have reshown this episode because it has a Lois & Clark actor in it too.

I still haven't seen it either - watched the first five minutes until iplayer decided to start playing up - will try and watch it again tonight. From what I saw Glynis was good though. Have you had a chance to see it now yet ?!
    Yes, I am hoping Phil is headed for a big full in the not too distant future. I hate injustices and he can't keep getting away with these things. As to Glenda, on one level you could say she is paying the price for her games with the loss of the two things she cares about - her daughters. But it doesn't seem right. I really would like Roxy to a) find out after her mother has just left or b) when she loses everyone and finds herself increasingly isolated. I just hope Phil does get found out and it doesn't get forgotten. Knowing Roxy she will probably say "oh my mum didn't steal my money, never mind I still hate her." And then have drinks with Phil and Shirley the next day.

Me too. And you're right - it's hard as a fan of hers to keep a level head at times.. I have to keep reminding myself that she was the one who was determined to sleep with Phil in the first place and didn't tell Roxy about the money... but you just can't help but feel sorry for her. She's a desperate woman who just wants to be loved.. she makes an awful lot of mistakes but then learns from them the hard way. Ok so she should have learned the first time round when she got caught out trying to steal Roxy's money last summer, but this time round I do genuinely think she has changed in terms of her daughters - before, even after the reveal with Danny, she seemed only interested in annoying Peggy and got bored pretty quickly after a while, but this time round she's been making a REAL effort to build up a relationship and is the only person who is actually concerned and can tell something is not right with Ronnie, which is amazing seeing as everyone else seems to be turning a blind eye to it.. and this is the woman who supposedly couldn't care less.. :rolleyes:

Injustices are not good - and I also fear that this one will just be conveniently forgotten about, especially as Steve is due his long break soon. If this is forgotten I will be incredibly angry as I can imagine you would be too.

And I think that is why it seems sad she is going because her story was not fininshed. In many ways her story was just starting.

This. :(
    Agreed. Her home page and the Q&A interview, then maybe, but normally people say the door has been left open without all the wording. However what is written on her biography page would be madness, if there isn't geuine intentions to bring her back. Even if someone else is editing her biography section, they wouldn't just write that without something they know to base it on.

I think there is a good chance that they at least have something planned, because of the suddeness of her announcement and it only coming from Glynis. The question is when is she coming back and how long for?

I do think that if she does come back it could be for a specific story and may not be for long. However one episode would suite me if they just wrap the loose ends with her daughters. Even if at the end of it they all decide never to speak again, at least it would be under the correct circumstances and not because of lies and scheming.

Completely agree. The wording does seem to be too obviously hinting... and like you say the lack of statement from the BBC does suggest that perhaps they have got something planned - I sure hope so anyway.

I too would be happy with a short storyline/even one episode. I just don't want this to be the last we see of her, because nothing has been answered!!! Even if Ronnie/Roxy/both decide somewhere down the line to track her down again and visit her in a one off episode.. as long as they did tie all the loose ends together I would be happy with this as well.

Agreed and that is what is making her departure worse. I don't know much about EastEnders past but do they ever leave things like this unresolved? To my mind if she just comes back for one episode to clear her name, it will be enough for me.

Generally speaking, no - 99.9% of things will ALWAYS be resolved, no matter how pointless they are - so I would be very surprised if Phil was to get away with this.. it's a pretty big thing to get away with as well... I am hoping it's just a matter of time before she finds out the truth.. but fear we will be waiting a long time..

Really looking forward to these. I don't think Roxy or Ronnie are in any episodes after Tuesday for a bit. Surprised they aren't at Phil and Shirley's wedding/non-wedding.

Oh good - to be honest I'm glad.. both of them, especially Ronnie, are really irritating me these days anyway.. can't help but be mad at them the way they treated Glenda. The babyswap just needs to be revealed ASAP but in my eyes Ronnie's character has been completely and utterly ruined. Roxy's ignorance is getting beyond a joke now - so she finally knows that Glenda was sleeping with Phil.. will she put the pieces together and realise Glenda was telling the truth about her money ? No of course she won't.
    Please forgive any typing errors in this. My laptop is playing up. I am typing too fast for it and it keeps missing keys out or putting too many in.

No don't worry at all - I didn't spot any! :)
    Good episode, maybe not as good as some of last week, but still fine.

Poor Glenda, she does love her daughters and is trying to do what is right by Ronnie. It is unfair that she is being pushed out of the Square for all the wrong reasons - ie Roxy thinks she stole her money, and Ronnie scheming and plotting as Glenda has got too close to her secret. Pushed out for her affairs would be acceptable but not for others' deceit.

Totally agree - that's why it's actually very ironic.. how she has done all these things, but the one thing she genuinely isn't guilty of, she's being punished for.
    Jack was actually civil to Glenda and doesn't see her as a mother-in-law type of person. I think I know what he means, but with Jack you just never do know?

I surprisingly found myself really liking this!!! I would have loved for Glenda and Jack to form a friendly relationship (nothing more).. but I doubt that would ever happen without the inevitable happening. For a split second I did fear that Jack was hitting on Glenda when he said he didn't see her as a mother in law (because of her good looks) but then I realised it was probs because of her behaviour! I did find the sudden turn around quite strange though - the previous episodes Jack has been completely rude to her.. now suddenly he's asking if she slept ok and was actually very civil to her in tonights episode saying he 'thinks it would be best if she left'.
    I'm afraid to say that while Ronnie is not right in the head, you could tell that she also knew what she was doing to Glenda was wrong. She was feeling guilty about it and even said sorry to her, however Glenda is too close to her secret. In her current state of mind Ronnie would get rid of anyone who gets too close to her secret. I think she would do the same to Roxy, but there is no chance of that as Roxy only has 2 brain cells so will never be a threat.

LOL!!!! The bit i've bolded cracked me up :D But what you have said is spot on. I have to keep reminding myself that Ronnie is not well, but at times it is very hard to sympathise with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quicky on tonight's episode. I will try and write more in this thread later in the weeek but so tired. Watched tonight's episode at 9:30ish.

Daran Little proved again (just like last night) he is good at the dialogue, even if he can be hit and miss at character depth and back stories. Like last night, it would of been hard to of mucked up tonight's episode though because it was very much story driven. Loved the Ian/Jane scenes best and Linda Henry again stole the episode with her acting. However as you say Glynis brought out all of Glenda's character traits.

Phil deserves all he gets coming his way. Revenge is a desert best served cold. Bring it on Shirley.

It would of been nice for Carol to of found Glenda out in the rain crying and they had had a poignant moment. If there was some way for Glenda to come back, then it would be nice to use Carol to bring this about. Have them of kept in touch or something but Carol becomes concerned after not hearing from her for a bit. Failing that a story arch for either her daughters in the afermath of the baby swap or revenge on Phil.

Glenda deserved all she got from Jane and Shirley. However not her daughters and I think even Jack has his doubts. He was a bit troubled by Ronnie's behaviour towards her mother which was interesting.

There was a glimmer of hope that some doubt has been put in Roxy's mind re the truth of the affair, however this is Roxy so who knows? I can't see how Roxy can ever find out the truth about her money unless Shirley tells her? Roxy better watch herself as she is now totally alone at R&R at the mercy of Phil. How many Roxy brains does it take to match Phil's one brain? Umm don't fancy her chances.

I think the time was right for Glenda to at least go away for a while. I'm not even sure how she can come back to the Square following the affairs. However there is still unfinished business with her daughters. At the very least I hope we do get 1 or 2 episodes in the not too distant future that bring some resolve to Glenda's relationship with her girls. It was clear she loves them in her own warped way. Even if at the end of the day they all decide to never speak to each other again, it has to be for the right reasons, not because of Ronnie and Phil's manipulation and lies.

I still don't get why they kept Glenda on for these past 6 months as the affairs story was un-necessary. Phil could of gone back on crack to bring problems to him and Shirley and Ian could of gone with Janine again if they were really that desperate to have him cheat on Jane. Instead they have teased us for 6 months building Glenda up as a character, her friendship with Carol and her relationship with Roxy etc. Grr I know I have said it all before.
  • Options
    Jib111Jib111 Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gonna miss Glenda, she was by far one of the strongest characters EE's have had in a long time.

I wish all the best to Glynis for her future, and I hope she knows Glenda Mitchell won't be forgotten in a hurry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was posted on Walford Web that Glynis Barber is going to do Panto in Tunbridge Wells this Christmas.

http://www.tunbridgewellspeople.co.uk/groups/christmas-tunbridge-wells/Evil-Eastender-Glenda-Mitchell-Glynis-Barber-star/story-10800927-detail/story.html

It is weird to think that two weeks ago we didn't know Glenda was leaving and now she has already gone. I will be surprised if she isn't back for 1 or 2 episodes in the not too distant future though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    It was posted on Walford Web that Glynis Barber is going to do Panto in Tunbridge Wells this Christmas.

http://www.tunbridgewellspeople.co.uk/groups/christmas-tunbridge-wells/Evil-Eastender-Glenda-Mitchell-Glynis-Barber-star/story-10800927-detail/story.html

It is weird to think that two weeks ago we didn't know Glenda was leaving and now she has already gone. I will be surprised if she isn't back for 1 or 2 episodes in the not too distant future though.

I hope she's back for the baby reveal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jib111 wrote: »
    Gonna miss Glenda, she was by far one of the strongest characters EE's have had in a long time.

I wish all the best to Glynis for her future, and I hope she knows Glenda Mitchell won't be forgotten in a hurry.

Completely agree!!!

Wow thank you so much for this - so glad to hear that Glynis has things lined up, but I never for a second thought she would be short of offers post EE.

It is totally weird to think that! How time flies - and I agree - there is no reason why she can't make a guest appearance around the time of the baby swap - I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I still am not convinced that this is the end for her!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree!!!
    I still am not convinced that this is the end for her!
    I hope she's back for the baby reveal

Don't think she will be back for the reveal as that is being filmed at the moment, or has just been filmed. However I wouldn't be surprised if she is back for the aftermath.

I am hopeful because of what is written at the bottom of http://www.glynisbarber.com/biography.html that she will be back for at least one or two episodes. Otherwise what a strange thing to write? It implies more than your usual door being left open. So what's written there coupled with other things make me think the intention is for her to come back at some point. The question is when and how long for? Will it be for a couple of episodes or for a specific story arc?

I still find it odd that EE have never announced that Glynis was leaving either. I know they don't always announce, but they mostly do and there was no need to embargoe Glynis leaving. Also Glynis is such a high profile actress (without considering EE) that I can't see how the papers wouldn't of mentioned it when they were talking about people leaving over the baby swap.

I thought it was encouraging that Roxy found out that her Mum was telling the truth about the affair on Tuesday and they made a point of showing us that she had found out rather than let us assume it (which is often the case). Also Glenda warned Roxy the other day about Ronnie not being well too. Well in a couple of weeks
    Roxy starts to worry about Ronnie and it looks like Ronnie goes missing so Roxy tries to hunt Ronnie down.
    So it will be interesting to see if Roxy remembers her mother's warnings.

Also have Roxy and Shirley ever socialised outside family functions? We have had Roxy in a space of a few days hang out with Shirley twice. I think Roxy in the coming weeks and months is going to find herself increasingly isolated. Phil is going to run rings around her at R&R.

Was it my imagination or did they tell us more than once that Glenda had left or was leaving London?

Anyway I will be really surprised if we don't see her at least once more somewhere between the baby swap reveal and Ronnie's exit. We had the omnibus on this afternoon as we hadn't seen Friday's. And I noticed that on Monday Glenda told Ronnie she was never going to walk away from her again and would be there for her no matter what or words to that affect? In the previous episode she had taken Ian's Paris tickets to think about it but after he went she looked in the direction of her daughters and down at the tickets and shook her head. So I think we are meant to think that she would do anything for her daughters and in the end she only left because that is what they wanted?

Maybe Glenda won't leave London and in the aftermath she will read something in the paper about the swap and come looking for Ronnie or Ronnie will go looking for her? Ronnie did seem to feel guilty about getting Phil to send her away.

If this really is the last we have seen of Glenda, then what a waste.