Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started watching it - roadkill man is turning my stomach
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I switched onto this late but re: The Indian couple...surely it costs extra money going from supermarket to supermarket to supermarket? So I wonder, how much money are they REALLY saving?
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes dear but all the workers in Tesco call you Coupon Cow :)
  • deisegirldeisegirl Posts: 3,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understood spending massive amounts on a wedding but that was beyond the pale!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just started watching it - roadkill man is turning my stomach

I am gonna catch this on +1, but I did manage to see the roadkill bbq. I thought the kebabs looked quite nice!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "If you want to make huge savings like Judith and Jalal.... get a life"
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    "We've just done a £10,000 wedding for £1500"

You really haven't, mate!
    No, they did a nice little wedding with everyone happy - I call that a result.

People could easily spend £10000 or £22000 and there's no guarantee that they'd get a better wedding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deisegirl wrote: »
    Never understood spending massive amounts on a wedding but that was beyond the pale!

Me too, I hate the thought of spending £20,000+ in one day and having nothing to show for it, but I still couldn't do a wedding in a grim place like that and having no alcohol. I'd like to not spend more than about £7000 on a wedding.

But as the old lady said, what matters most is that they were happy with it.
  • SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    I thought most of those vouchers are only one per transaction? She could make a saving too by not buying papers or mags which contain the vouchers, or perhaps she cuts them out without buying them..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched onto this late but re: The Indian couple...surely it costs extra money going from supermarket to supermarket to supermarket? So I wonder, how much money are they REALLY saving?
    Depends - often I have a list of things I know are cheap at a particular supermarket and when I past by I'll pop in. I'll have been doing the journey anyhow so there's little extra cost.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    I thought most of those vouchers are only one per transaction? She could make a saving too by not buying papers or mags which contain the vouchers, or perhaps she cuts them out without buying them..

More likely she buys them, cuts out the vouchers, takes them back to the shop whilst feigning mock outrage that she had bought them like that, and gets her money back and some free vouchers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteUK wrote: »
    There are websites where you can print out vouchers - so you don't need to buy anything.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1714500/Which-best-discount-voucher-websites--Groupon-Myvouchercodes-Hotukdeals-Vouchercodes-Voucherseeker-compared.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was an 'extreme' penny pincherwhen supermarket shopping, but Im an amateur compared to these! The most I'll do is go to my asda, and if something which i usually get is on offer, I'll fill my trolley with as much as I can and that will last me a few weeks.

How the heck did Coupon Lady manage to get so many coupons? Does she find them in Hello/OK magazines and is she using multiple coupons of the same product in the same shop? Seemed a bit extreme to me and Im sure shes breaking some sort of rule if she manages to save so much per shop !

I like saving my money but I wouldnt like to live like the Indian couple or Coupon Lady! Indian couple treating their kid to a day out ... blowing bubbles in the park / back garden LOL. I could never do that to my kids, bloody heck!

I've seen some people hang around at 'clearance corners' in supermarkets, ready to pounce on the bargain nearly out of date stuff that supermarkets tend to discount at certain times of day. Some people fill their trolley with just those items.

Its those sort of people who will save hundreds/thousands and will penny pinch with their mates and at work too. Theres a thread about penny pinching somewhere in the General Forums which details stories of such people.

By the way, what app did the Indian guy use? I guess it is linked to mysupermarket?

He's got me intrigued now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't the app just Red Laser or something like that?
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Northern Irish couple were very charming, but I couldn't do what roadkill guy does! I dread to think what the hygiene / food safety implications must be...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the link above this is the thread that woman gets her coupons from.

Most printable coupons are usually one per transcation and person/e-mail so she's abusing them somewhat, but I guess it's down to the people on the checkout to read the T&C's on them, and with the amount she hands over, no wonder why they don't :p.

Hot Deals UK is another site that one of the couples was using in the programme
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    Indian couple treating their kid to a day out ... blowing bubbles in the park / back garden LOL. I could never do that to my kids, bloody heck!
    What - spending real time with your children, doing things with them, giving them love? Presumably it's much better to get them a DVD and plonk them in front of the TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LI0N wrote: »
    From the link above this is the thread that woman gets her coupons from.
    There's a link in there to the chat on coupons - there are some scary people there :eek:
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    What - spending real time with your children, doing things with them, giving them love? Presumably it's much better to get them a DVD and plonk them in front of the TV.

hmm maybe I didn't explain properly. taking kids out to the park is fine. I do that all the time. but the couple also seemed to imply they don't take their kid out to places where they have to pay more than a couple of quid. :)
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted. Double Post.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she actually buy every item that she had coupons for or is there a supermarket that takes any vouchers, regardless of whether you buy the product? One used to, think it was Kwik-Save.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did she actually buy every item that she had coupons for or is there a supermarket that takes any vouchers, regardless of whether you buy the product? One used to, think it was Kwik-Save.

Back in the '80s, when I worked at sainsburys, we'd accept any vouchers so long as we sold the product. But with modern barcode technology I think a lot of places insist the vouchers are only used with a purchase of the relevant product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The supermarket comparison couple were fairly tame compared to coupon lady and the roadkill guy!

Like another poster mentioned, I wonder how much that couple are saving after using petrol to go to different supermarkets. Their weekly shop must take bloody ages!

I wonder if coupon lady is actually buying things she would of bought anyway, or if she just buys it because she has a voucher for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    "We've just done a £10,000 wedding for £1500"

You really haven't, mate!

Glad I'm not the only person who thought that