Now will they get rid of Cable.

2»

Comments

• Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Conservatives no longer able to talk about the Labour government financial competence

Why? Has the record deficit left by Labour vanished into thin air??
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince Cable based the price on advice received - Gordon Brown sold the gold despite advice not to.

(see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262683/Brown-defied-Bank-warning-6bn-gold-giveaway.html)

You might as well say the advice was naff,will Goldman Sachs and co used in the valuation now be surcharged i wonder?

If David Buick from the anylists Panmure Gordon was able to say on LBC before the sale it was undervalued, the people advising should surely have known seeing as they stung the government for £16 million for that advice.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stick a bag of werther's original outside number 10 and lock the door.
    It shows how bad the libdem talent must be for Cable to have survived this long.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    Why did they give such an important role to a leftist economic illiterate?

He's FAR more economically literate than Cameron and Osborne (not that that's saying much). However Vince's chief 'achievements' in this government are raising tuition fees and privatising the Royal Mail. Those whp placed much faith in him in 2010 must be sorely disappointed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is with Vince: where does he go next? He's tried all the main options, there's only the Greens and Ukip left!

Perhaps he could become Nigel's left-hand man?
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    The fact the share price on floatation was 330p and it is now 565p rather contradicts that.

One Royal Mail strike will soon fix that. 330p will look like great tax-payer value then.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Thing is with Vince: where does he go next? He's tried all the main options, there's only the Greens and Ukip left!

Perhaps he could become Nigel's left-hand man?

At his age i doubts he worries about that,he is 71.

He may well bow out soon.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »
    He was very good when he had no responsibilities. I doubt whether he ever expected to be in a political job where he had to make major decisions.

Like every other LibDem then.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think he was given the job so that he could fail and got rid of, if I remember correctly he has been against and opposed to the chancellor on other subjects. The whole selling off of Royal Mail was never going to go down well either, not surprised how this is coming back.

Besides shares will always be sold at one price and it goes up in value if it does well, which isn't surprising for Royal Mail. Meaning that it would always be regarded as being undervalued, cause look at the price the next day it has gone up again. Also prices will always peak and come down in value again.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    Personally I think he was given the job so that he could fail and got rid of, if I remember correctly he has been against and opposed to the chancellor on other subjects. The whole selling off of Royal Mail was never going to go down well either, not surprised how this is coming back.

Besides shares will always be sold at one price and it goes up in value if it does well, which isn't surprising for Royal Mail. Meaning that it would always be regarded as being undervalued, cause look at the price the next day it has gone up again. Also prices will always peak and come down in value again.

what's really knackered Cable the share price was Questioned from the start and totally dismissed. His own words are coming back to really hit home the point why all this has kicked off. Making matters worse the report has come from a fully independent source not some committee of Mp's with maybe an Agenda going on.

Even tonight he is very arrogant in his replies saying it was a good deal for the Tax payers not seeing it was a much better deal for all those "fat cats" this Government seems to keep giving lovely treats.

the way the deal was worked out they sold large sums of shares to various city investors to try and keep a sense of calm in the sale when those investors saw the price going up they sold the lot and made a total killing there was nothing in the agreement they had to keep the shares making the entire deal totally pointless. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony321 wrote: »
    Conservatives no longer able to talk about the Labour government financial competence

Correction..
    Conservatives will now be able to talk about the financial incompetence of both
    Labour & Lib-Dems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At his age i doubts he worries about that,he is 71.

He may well bow out soon.

Probably go when the LDs return to the wilderness.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Probably go when the LDs return to the wilderness.

...or to the Lords, which amounts to about the same thing.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Correction..
    Conservatives will now be able to talk about the financial incompetence of both
    Labour & Lib-Dems

Also: If the conservatives come in for criticism all they have to do is mention QinetiQ and the tables get turned.
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of Gordon Browns but he may of sold the gold off cheaply.

But vince has done the same with the post office shares do they never learn.

Perhaps the post office shares are Cables Gold.:o

I read somewhere that Brown's sale of the gold was technically a bailout of Goldman Sachs who had sold to much paper gold at the time. Can't quite remember where I read this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    ...or to the Lords, which amounts to about the same thing.

Except they still get expenses paid.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vince Cable based the price on advice received - Gordon Brown sold the gold despite advice not to.

(see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262683/Brown-defied-Bank-warning-6bn-gold-giveaway.html)

At least Cable gave everyone a chance to buy some of the Royal Mail. I can't remember getting ask by Brown if I wanted any cheap gold.