The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    On a separate note, I think you'll find all the non-World Cup channels have been down in share since it started, with BBC1 and ITV up in share compared to previous weeks, for obvious reasons. Funny how you only mentioned ITV2 and ITV Encore.
    You dont seem to understand the point. Itvs entire strategy for Itv Encore was for it to deliberately launch when the World Cup was airing. This is because in past Euro 2012 and World Cup 2010 tournaments, due to no dramas airing on the main channels, digital channels like Itv3 have seen a rise in share due to older viewers checking out the drama repeats. Itv firmly believed that Encore would get a good audience against the likes of the World Cup due to offering dramas nightly, whereas BBC1/Itv werent offering dramas. The strategy has backfired spectacularly. Not even Itv could've even dreamt about the ratings average for Broadchurch repeats being as low as 60,000! That is probably 1/5 of at least what they were hoping for.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    You dont seem to understand the point. Itvs entire strategy for Itv Encore was for it to deliberately launch when the World Cup was airing. This is because in past Euro 2012 and World Cup 2010 tournaments, due to no dramas airing on the main channels, digital channels like Itv3 have seen a rise in share due to older viewers checking out the drama repeats. Itv firmly believed that Encore would get a good audience against the likes of the World Cup due to offering dramas nightly, whereas BBC1/Itv werent offering dramas. The strategy has backfired spectacularly. Not even Itv could've even dreamt about the ratings average for Broadchurch repeats being as low as 60,000! That is probably 1/5 of at least what they were hoping for.

ITV's internal target was for 50,000 viewers. An unnamed source told me so.

How has the strategy 'backfired'? They haven't lost anything, but have gained something.

Did you really expect it to be topping the tree straightaway, I mean Channel 5 often struggles and that is 17 years old. ITV2 launched with a tiny audience and look at it now.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Emmerdale overlap with EastEnders on Tuesday 8th July: EastEnders moves to 8pm. Bergg might have to have a rethink about scheduling all his stockpiled Emmerdale episodes on Tuesdays. :D
    Markynotts wrote: »
    A sensible move by the BBC. Until EE has returned with a stable audience, clashes that can be avoided should be - just as long as they advertise the fact that it has moved.

I guess this could mean that Holby has found a new home on Thursday nights ? It will have been there for a few weeks and if GBBO has landed the Tuesday 8pm slot, the testing of the waters with Holby on a different day could have cemented that position.

I rhino it's wise to move EastEnders. And every single time ITV want a double Emmerdale BBC1 should move EastEnders. Clashes don't help it and kill momentum.

It's just common sense as EE isn't strong ratings wise like it was a few years ago.
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    ITV's internal target was for 50,000 viewers. An unnamed source told me so.

How has the strategy 'backfired'? They haven't lost anything, but have gained something.

Did you really expect it to be topping the tree straightaway, I mean Channel 5 often struggles and that is 17 years old. ITV2 launched with a tiny audience and look at it now.
    I expect the share will grow slightly. But I really cant see them being happy with a 0.1% primetime share even for the opening week. That is almost as bad as it can get.

Let's not forget that Itv has to pay platform fees, repeat fees and also signifcant amount of money for upcoming original Encore commissions. So it's not like theyve got nothing to lose. They have spent a lot ofmoney on the Encore project, and Ive not even mentioned the publicity and marketing budget for it which was significant.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt I call it a few days ago? XFactor bosses are looking for wacky controversial acts to put through in the live shows similar to Jedward and Wagner:

How predictable. The British public wont be fooled again though by the fakeness. Cowell's faux act of supposedly hating these wacky contestants will be too obvious to see, viewers will know it's actually Cowell who wants these weirdo acts in the show for ratings purposes. Viewers are savvy these days, they wont fall for the illusion once again.

That's a bit like saying Strictly viewers won't fall for the usual hot, good sportsman and old fat joke act with no chance of winning. Or I'm A Celebrity putting in a hot girl for the shower scenes. Or Big Brother putting in someone that's extremely aggressive.

Effectively it can all be summed up as... TV SHOW IN CASTING SHOCKER.

If they're entertaining it'll work. If they're not then it won't. Viewers don't give a toss about the kind of junk DS loves - the Daily Mail's Gogglebox expose didn't do it any harm. They just want to be entertained.
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    If they're entertaining it'll work. If they're not then it won't.
    It wont work anymore for XF because it's not unpredictable, it's too repetitive. SCD is not so much dependent on the casting really, as the format itself is very strong.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect the share will grow slightly. But I really cant see them being happy with a 0.1% primetime share even for the opening week. That is almost as bad as it can get.

Let's not forget that Itv has to pay platform fees, repeat fees and also signifcant amount of money for upcoming original Encore commissions. So it's not like theyve got nothing to lose. They have spent a lot ofmoney on the Encore project, and Ive not even mentioned the publicity and marketing budget for it which was significant.

You're making a lot of assumptions there - especially given that we know Sky are very much involved with this particular project. The idea of Broadchurch repeats getting 300k on a channel that has only just launched seems somewhat ambitious.
    It wont work anymore for XF because it's not unpredictable, it's too repetitive. SCD is not so much dependent on the casting really, as the format itself is very strong.

Judging by the success of IAC and SCD in recent years, being repetitive is the order of the day.

All these shows succeed mainly due to their formats. But good casting can be the difference between the ratings being up or being down.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant documentary from Robert Peston on the Hacking affair on BBC2 at 9.00,guess would have been on BBC1 but for football.PSB at its best.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    You thought of applying Samuel?
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv diving show Splash has been cancelled after series 2 plummetted in the ratings. The program, featuring Tom Daley, has been given the shop after series 2 rated 2million viewers lower than the first series.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/splash-unlikely-to-return-to-itv/5073498.article

It hasn't been cancelled. According to the article, it's 'unlikely' to return due to Daley's preparation for the Olympics and "no decision has been made" over a third series.

Admittedly, the ratings weren't great, but don't spin/create-a-thread saying it has been cancelled when it hasn't officially been announced as such.

DS article: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s214/splash/news/a580247/splash-unlikely-to-return-for-series-3-due-to-tom-daleys-rio-training.html#~oIeIZQYJClHgc0
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I rhino it's wise to move EastEnders. And every single time ITV want a double Emmerdale BBC1 should move EastEnders. Clashes don't help it and kill momentum.

It's just common sense as EE isn't strong ratings wise like it was a few years ago.
    By my reckoning, the BBC One average overnight for EastEnders since the first day of the World Cup is 5.22m*. Would probably be 5.5m or more if it hadn't been for the two soap clashes.

(* This figure is brought to you by my grade C in GCSE Maths, so it might be a bit dodgy.)
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    JB92 wrote: »
    It hasn't been cancelled. According to the article, it's 'unlikely' to return due to Daley's preparation for the Olympics and "no decision has been made" over a third series.

Admittedly, the ratings weren't great, but don't spin/create-a-thread saying it has been cancelled when it hasn't officially been announced as such.

DS article: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s214/splash/news/a580247/splash-unlikely-to-return-for-series-3-due-to-tom-daleys-rio-training.html#~oIeIZQYJClHgc0

Now that's irony! Are you really buying the original ITV spin?
    Daley himself said a few months ago when he was promoting that crappy ITV2 show that he was waiting on ITV to make a decision. The show has been axed!
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Now that's irony! Are you really buying the original ITV spin?
    Daley himself said a few months ago when he was promoting that crappy ITV2 show that he was waiting on ITV to make a decision. The show has been axed!

Considering ITV haven't specifically stated its been axed, then its not 100% certain. Although with Tom Daley's Olympic training its unlikely it would have been able to return anyway.

What would ITV have to loose if they said it had been axed, why would they suggest otherwise? They have nothing to gain from that. You don't know they're decision, you don't work at ITV!?
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By my reckoning, the BBC One average overnight for EastEnders since the first day of the World Cup is 5.22m*. Would probably be 5.5m or more if it hadn't been for the two soap clashes.

(* This figure is brought to you by my grade C in GCSE Maths, so it might be a bit dodgy.)

:D:D:D:D
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Itvs Itv Encore Itv3 BBC1/Itv Itv

:kitty:
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you miss the Guardian article re ITV Encore:

"As a result, ITV Encore is – as a senior ITV source puts it – “profitable from day one”. Its metrics of success are also different from ITV’s free-to-air channels. BSkyB’s investment in ITV Encore is designed to shore up its subscription base – which depends as much on how punters feel about their channel package as on how much they watch it."
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/15/itv-encore-drama-hbo-broadchurch
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Did you miss the Guardian article re ITV Encore:

"As a result, ITV Encore is – as a senior ITV source puts it – “profitable from day one”. Its metrics of success are also different from ITV’s free-to-air channels. BSkyB’s investment in ITV Encore is designed to shore up its subscription base – which depends as much on how punters feel about their channel package as on how much they watch it."
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/15/itv-encore-drama-hbo-broadchurch

Profitable from day one says the "senior ITV source" - well, as long as it doesn't simply siphon off advertising from ITV3. But with such pitiful viewing figures so far for Encore, that doesn't appear to be much of a danger.
  • stej86stej86 Posts: 921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting fact for those interested in television ratings.

The World Cup games later today between USA and Germany is expected to be the most watched soccer match ever in the USA. It is expected up to 30 million people will watch the match live (around 1 in 7 of everyone in the USA) in the USA alone.

This really is a turning point for soccer in the USA.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stej86 wrote: »

The World Cup games later today between USA and Germany is expected to be the most watched soccer match ever in the USA. It is expected up to 30 million people will watch the match live (around 1 in 7 of everyone in the USA) in the USA alone.

The match against Germany is going out in USA weekday daytime though unlike the first two which went out early evening in USA eastern time. I think this may hamper the ratings somewhat although It should still do a big share.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Dont know about your maths but I compiled this list of EE & ED ratings since the end of BGT.

EE/ ED

02jun 7.37m (34.7%) +333k/ 6.18m (32.2%) +151k
    03jun 4.92m (23.7%) +585k/5.68m (28.8%) +241k/ CLASH
    05jun 6.01m (32.5%) +386k/ 5.58m (32.5%) +159k & 5.76m (29.2%) +254k
    06jun 5.48m (29.5%) +551k/ 5.01m (31.0%) + ?

09jun 6.48m (31.4%) +334k/ 5.99m (33.6%) +101k
    10jun 4.70m (24.1%) +?/ 5.61m (31.4%) +245k/ CLASH
    12jun 4.94m (26.2%) +340k/ / WC OPENING DAY
    13jun 3.97m (23.1%) +510k/4.80m (27.9%) +118k & 4.72m (22.9%) +206k/ CLASH

16jun 5.71m (30.0%) +497k/6.58m (34.2%) +125k/ EE 7PM/ED 7:30PM
    17jun 5.82m (32.5%) +480k/ 5.46m (28.7%) +174k/ EE 7PM/ED 7:30PM
    18jun 5.14m (30.2%) +?/ / EE 7PM WED
    20jun 5.32m (28.9%) +?/4.47m (27.8%) +?

23jun 5.28m (24.1%) +514k/ /CLASH WITH CS
    24jun 5.60m (29.3%) +447k/
  • all_nightall_night Posts: 7,597
    Forum Member
    stej86 wrote: »

It's a shame that ABC won't air any match in the weekday. You'd think with Team USA they'd change the schedule to air it live.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Pitiful 6.3 for Corrie last night.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@LiamHamilton16: #HotelInspector returns to 5 with 1.4m. At 8pm 2 new shows go head to head, #brandnewhousefor5k on 5, 900k & #vintageclothesshow on 4, 1.1m"

"@overnightstv: BBC1 live coverage of #ecuador vs France 0-0 draw avged 5.2m/27%. Peak was 6.1m/28.2%"
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Coronation Street topped the midweek soap ratings (June 25) as Gary Windass returned to his bad boy ways, overnight figures show.

6.31m (33.6%) watched at 7.30pm on ITV and 362k (1.8%) on +1 as Gary cheated on Izzy by making a move on newcomer Alya during a night out.

Hollyoaks pulled in 771k (4.7%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4 and 134k (0.7%) on +1 as Grace's scheming began to pay off at her trial, while the aftermath brought 847k (5.1%) to E4's first look at 7pm and 212k (1.1%) to E4+1 at 8pm.

Neighbours entertained 584k (9.8%) at 1.45pm and 698k (5.7%) at 5.30pm on Channel 5 as Libby Kennedy returned to Erinsborough.

Also on Channel 5, Home and Away managed 215k (3.4%) at 1.15pm, 626k (4.2%) at 6pm and 285k (1.7%) with 5*'s first look at 6.30pm.

Corrie's usual slot, so no excuse for being below 7 million (well if EE can receive the same comments then so can Corrie :) )
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Corrie's usual slot, so no excuse for being below 7 million (well if EE can receive the same comments then so can Corrie :) )

An inside source at ITV told me the target for last nights episode was 6m - so ITV will be happy with this. :D:p
This discussion has been closed.