Options

Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I don't think Charlotte was signed just to be a newsreader. And I see they have gone to two presenters. I could have told them that was what to do from day 1!

They probably didn't sign Sean up to just be a reporter either but they seem to be sending him on outside broadcasts at every opportunity. I assume they also didn't expect Charlotte to have the impact she had in the press when the show first launched, but unexpected things happen.

They need to do whats best for the programme and I just don't think Charlotte has the right personality to anchor the full programme in the same way that Susanna, Kate and even Ranvir can. That isn't necessarily a bad thing- news is her strength and she'd be fine presenting an ITV News bulletin. Speaking of which, Ranvir is back on ITV News tonight, her working day will have been from around 4am until midnight :o.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems that there are changes being made (a return to Daybreak Mk II perhaps?)
    on

Worried telly bosses put out an SOS to fix the image of Good Morning Britain presenter Susanna Reid as they watched their viewing figures nose-dive after her arrival, writes Janine Yaqoob in the Sunday People.

The ITV breakfast show slumped from 800,000 viewers at its launch in April to 530,000 last Wednesday – leaving it with just a 13.6% share of the audience.

But executives were determined to stick with Susanna, who they lured from rival BBC Breakfast in a £500,000 deal.

And last night it looked like they might be cracking the problem, for the summer at least – by moving outside.

On Thursday Susanna, 43, and co-presenter Ben Shepherd were filmed on a terrace with the River Thames behind – enjoying the morning sunshine with trays of coffee, orange juice and rolls.

It must have worked, *because the day’s viewing figure rose by 70,000 to 600,000, a 15.3% share. It was also up 80,000 on the previous Thursday.

A show source said: “As it was the *hottest day of the year, bosses thought it would be great to take advantage, with the beautiful river backdrop.”

Friday’s show stuck to the outdoors format and although our source said the figures had not yet been fully analysed, execs must be pleased and relieved.

The new relaxed style is just part of a carefully worked out masterplan to save the network’s investment in Strictly Come Dancing *finalist Susanna.

ITV’s head of daytime, Helen Warner, has embarked on a drive to give the star a “softer” look that women will take to.

While Susanna has an army of male fans, bosses feared she failed to appeal to their hugely important female audience.

Their solution is to ditch her brisk news-journalist approach.

Susanna has been urged to lighten her hair to appear less harsh, wear lighter, brighter colours, watch her skirt length, look “sympathetic and engaged” with interviewees – and to nod a lot.

" .. and to nod a lot". You couldn't make it up could you. I wonder how SR's journalistic integrity is going to hold up.

and this is very telling:
    “Helen (Warner) has put endless energy into looking at why GMB is doing so badly. There is a general opinion the American look of the desk was too revolutionary for the viewers.

“And it is felt the focus on news is out of sync with what the British public want – more weather, fun stories, competitions and fluff.”

The exact opposite of what Susanna did at the BBC in fact..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tv-film-news/itv-bosses-worried-susanna-reids-3816952

So it looks like the original idea of being more news-focussed is being jettisoned.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can just imagine expensive consultants being hired and deciding that getting outside is the solution to their problems so the poor presenters having to do the show in a howling gale!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is what happens every time Itv try to change from the Tv Am style format.

Due to ratings, they go back to a full time sofa soon or later!

Then they bring back a past presenter.

From memory, the original Gmtv failed with Fiona Armstrong & Michael Wilson, so Lorraine Kelly was brought back from the later Tvam days.

The original Daybreak failed, so Lorraine Kelly was brought back.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

" .. and to nod a lot". You couldn't make it up could you. .

No but the Sunday People probably did so more fool you for believing everything you read in the red tops when it suits you too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well George, we'll see shall we.

Going by the past few days, there have been changes consistent with that report.. It remains to be seen if those observed changes are permanent, and if any of the quoted changes and tweaks appear on screen.

If they do, then I think that we can say that the red-top report was correct.

Time will tell.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

" .. and to nod a lot". You couldn't make it up could you. I wonder how SR's journalistic integrity is going to hold up.

and this is very telling:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/tv-film-news/itv-bosses-worried-susanna-reids-3816952

So it looks like the original idea of being more news-focussed is being jettisoned.

I think they should go back to the TV-AM days when their was a Good Morning Britain Newshour between 6-7 with the main programme Good Morning Britain from 7-8.30 but so far ITV has fail to get it above 1m and more than 15%
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew ITV were really worried when every ad break in Midsomer Murders last night had a trail for GMB
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They need to make it more news/business/sports focused. Have charlotte and susanna present the main segments. Sean/ben sports and the old guy business.
    Axe showbiz stuff, competitions and that guy that goes around the country offering cash prizes segment.

You will see ratings climb.
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    They need to make it more news/business/sports focused. Have charlotte and susanna present the main segments. Sean/ben sports and the old guy business.
    Axe showbiz stuff, competitions and that guy that goes around the country offering cash prizes segment.

if they can't, than itv might give up on breakfast tv apart from Lorraine Weekend and CITV . but itv will find it hard to get rid of breakfast tv because its in their DNA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »

If that report is correct, then that is the exact opposite of what they are going to do.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All viewers want at that time of the morning is world/local news, weather and the sports headlines....one or two presenters max. They don't want to be bombarded with numerous ad breaks, daft competitions and showbiz news stuffed down our throats by 4 gurning presenters.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Ben & Sussanah becoming main presenters, Charlotte Doing the news, Sean for the Sports.

I expect Swan will be sent off to cover the Commonwealths, Laura I would send her to summer events to do the weather. Bristol Balloon Fiesta in August for example
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that report is correct, then that is the exact opposite of what they are going to do.

Exactly.
    They're making exactly the same mistakes time after time. You'd think they'd learn.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly.
    They're making exactly the same mistakes time after time. You'd think they'd learn.

Or rectifying mistakes they made in the same place which many of us mentioned. Two presenters and no desk for a start.

Dianne Nelmes was Head Of Daytime at ITV and spoke about GMB pre launch on The Media Show. She said they didn't need to hire Susanna Reid and should use people they already had there like Kate Garroway and Helen Fospero. She also said she did a report on GMTV when ITV bought it. She advised her bosses to keep it as it had some loyalty and fix the content.

Hindsight eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Dianne Nelmes was Head Of Daytime at ITV and spoke about GMB pre launch on The Media Show. She said they didn't need to hire Susanna Reid and should use people they already had there like Kate Garroway and Helen Fospero. She also said she did a report on GMTV when ITV bought it. She advised her bosses to keep it as it had some loyalty and fix the content.

Hindsight eh?
    And now it seems that they are going to change Susanna to match the presenters that they already had.

The Daily Mail report on this even highlighted the fact that she was wearing hoop earrings to match the flowery dress - I've never seen her wear something like that on the BBC, ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now it seems that they are going to change Susanna to match the presenters that they already had.

The Daily Mail report on this even highlighted the fact that she was wearing hoop earrings to match the flowery dress - I've never seen her wear something like that on the BBC, ever.

They hired Susanna Reid to be Susanna Reid... now they're changing her because she's too Susanna Reid!

Let's take a moment to think about that.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people wanting two presenters, would just three be fine, or is that still too much?
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV missing the blindingly obvious point, as usual.

"Shall we address the fact that the content is crap?"

"No, let's change the name of the programme. Then the faces. Then the set, the music, the graphics and the colour scheme. And if none of that works, let's fiddle around with the presenters' hairstyles and dress-lengths. Oh, and get them to nod more."
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that tabloid report obviously isn't correct, otherwise they wouldn't be running umpteen promo's promoting a news angle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    ITV missing the blindingly obvious point, as usual.

"Shall we address the fact that the content is crap?"

"No, let's change the name of the programme. Then the faces. Then the set, the music, the graphics and the colour scheme. And if none of that works, let's fiddle around with the presenters' hairstyles and dress-lengths. Oh, and get them to nod more."

If they change this and ratings stay at 600k you have to wonder why spend so much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Well that tabloid report obviously isn't correct, otherwise they wouldn't be running umpteen promo's promoting a news angle.
    Why would a promo do anything other than promote that which needs promoting? Do you believe every promo you see for a film or drama? I don't.

The proof will be in the pudding.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they're going to put it back to what it was like before they changed it because it wasn't doing very well?

I see...
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Holly Willobough is "the perfect nodder" - well that's it I've read everything now. :o
  • Options
    NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would a promo do anything other than promote that which needs promoting? Do you believe every promo you see for a film or drama? I don't.

The proof will be in the pudding.
    The tabloid report you are quoting states:
    “And it is felt the focus on news is out of sync with what the British public want – more weather, fun stories, competitions and fluff.”
    If that were true then they'd be promoting those elements, not the element which is apparently out of the sync. I thought that would be pretty obvious.