Options

Does anyone actually give a toss about Commonwealth games

Comments

• Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love athletics so I'm really looking forward to them... I'm not bothered about where they are or any politics surrounding them - it's all about the fantastic sport.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I'm excited for the Opening Ceremony but every time they even say 'Scotland' or 'Glasgow', all I can think about is their referendum vote. I get this feeling the presenters want to talk about it too. Going to overshadow the whole event for me I think.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    Just the fact that its in Scotland and theyre going for independence just makes me care very little for these games. I'm just so not interested. Anyone else?

Instead of throwing your toys out of the pram, tell us what you DO give a toss about. Should make interesting reading.... If you can be arsed to reply
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love you Mark

Love you too Honestweegie.
  • Options
    GoldengayerGoldengayer Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I love athletics so I'm really looking forward to them... I'm not bothered about where they are or any politics surrounding them - it's all about the fantastic sport.

Well said. It's an event for many athletes to gain ground & get known on. The downers can bog off. Plenty of other channels to see.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    weegie and mark sitting in a tree :D
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Weegie and me sitting in a tree
    In Queen's Park overlooking the city
    Snacking on pakoras, drinking Irn Bru
    Don't you wish you'd come along too?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not interested in most sport but not giving a toss is rather inapt.

Let people enjoy what they enjoy? .:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Weegie and me sitting in a tree
    In Queen's Park overlooking the city
    Snacking on pakoras, drinking Irn Bru
    Don't you wish you'd come along too?

Chuckin cabers at Billy Valuuuuuue
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the fact that its in Scotland and theyre going for independence just makes me care very little for these games. I'm just so not interested. Anyone else?

And then you wont watch them and those that do enjoy it will, just like many other things in life that some people like and some don't. What any of that has to do with the Scottish referendum I really don't know, and you do know that if they do vote Yes whilst Scotland wont automatically enter the EU you can bet your life they will join the Commonwealth so why would having the games there be any different to having them in another members country ?
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It's just a glorified primary school sports day, and equally irrelevant to world sport.

Total shite.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a sports fan at all, but I can get caught up with the excitement other people have.

I watched the documentary on David Rudisha the other night. It was excellent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04bdr54/100-seconds-to-beat-the-world-the-david-rudisha-story
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Scotland appears to be happy welcoming participating commonwealth countries that still breach the Human Rights Act and criminalise same sex loving relationships with prison sentences and penalties simply for being in a consenting loving adult relationship, no condemnation of these 42 commonwealth nations which still uphold homophobic oppressive laws.

Article 7 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth Games Federation states: “There shall be no discrimination against any country or person on any grounds whatsoever, including race, colour, gender, religion or politics.”

Again the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights"

Article 1.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article 3.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 5.

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Article 6.

Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 30.

Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.

It seems Scotland who legalised same-sex marriage this year and supposed to champion equality has no objections in allowing countries who breach Human Rights participation.

Absolute hypocrisy yet again LGBT people are dehumanised and ignored denied the basic human rights everyone of us take for granted, shameful and disgraceful and no a simple same sex kiss does nothing to condemn the oppression a section of society face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a sports fan at all, but I can get caught up with the excitement other people have.

I watched the documentary on David Rudisha the other night. It was excellent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04bdr54/100-seconds-to-beat-the-world-the-david-rudisha-story

I'm not interested either, in fact it has been annoying me as I work in the East End and the road closures are a pain. I got really caught up in that opening ceremony though, the red arrows flew over my house and I ran outside to see them, so I'm quite looking forward to it now. I'll probably be moaning again tomorrow when I'm stuck in traffic though! :D
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Perhaps somebody could explain why we're all supposed to think the London Olympics was wonderful but the Glasgow games are shite?

Will DS be creating a special sub-forum for the Glasgow games, perhaps?

To me both are equally pointless
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a nonsense sporting event that has no reason whatsoever to exist/be as big as it is. Obviously something like the European Championships, World Championships etc makes sense as those are geographical regions but the idea of a games between former members of the British Empire is a nonsense. It's like the Ryder Cup in golf. Europe vs USA. Europe is not a sporting entity. Another nonsense tournament.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    It's just a glorified primary school sports day, and equally irrelevant to world sport.

Total shite.

It legitimises me drinking gin and eating oysters by the river - ergo is a marvellous thing.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    It's a nonsense sporting event that has no reason whatsoever to exist/be as big as it is. Obviously something like the European Championships, World Championships etc makes sense as those are geographical regions but the idea of a games between former members of the British Empire is a nonsense. It's like the Ryder Cup in golf. Europe vs USA. Europe is not a sporting entity. Another nonsense tournament.

Cobblers. It's all arbitrary. Any event that athletes want to take part in and the hosting city can have a jolly at is as valid as any other.

Plus, to reiterate - I can drink in public and suck saline phlegm. Job's a good 'un :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Weegie is too dirty for him, and she lives in that filth strewn hovel of Scotland.

He likes things spotless.:D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realise how unpopular it all was. :o

I shall be watching it all. Especially the track & field. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise how unpopular it all was. :o

I shall be watching it all. Especially the track & field. :)

No idea of the Human Rights abuses no but you choose like others to ignore that don`t you because it does not effect you personally.

Besides its utter rubbish anyway.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May watch the cycling, but apart from that I wont be bothered by it.

God bless DVD's I say...
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    No idea of the Human Rights abuses no but you choose like others to ignore that don`t you because it does not effect you personally.

Besides its utter rubbish anyway.

You know me so well it's frightening.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    doop wrote: »

I agree with what you say, but then you'd have to abandon every worldwide based event.
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Same old same old

Sporting event comes up and it's slapped down by some DS members

Same with the World Cup

Same with the Olympics

Same with the Euros

Etc etc

Wtf is wrong with some people. If you don't like a certain sporting event, just don't watch it, but equally don't begrudge the people that do.

Not me. It's regenerated an area of Glasgow and that can't be bad. I doubt I'll be watching much of the games, but I'm intelligent enough to realise the event will be good for Scotland on an international level.
  • Options
    sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be watching it, hopefully the politics will be kept well away from it and it will be a great sporting event with some fantastic performances.