The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Oh please, no you don't. If you wanted a strong BBC you'd care about quality not 13 episode series of Pound Shop Wars or having every big show air against one on ITV. You just care about denting ITV and you consider BBC to be in the best position to do that. Of all your posts I've never really got the impression you're a BBC fan, just massively anti-ITV.
    Im a massive BBC One fan. 75pct of my viewing is BBC One, 10pct BBC2 and the other 15pct the rest. I want BBC One to rate as well as possible to ensure that critics of the license fee have no argument to abolish it. If BBC1 rated poorly, the critics would say it's bad value for money, even if the quality is good. But if the BBC1 rates really well with average quality, the critics have no bone to stand on because the BBC can just defend themselves by saying they are very popular with viewers.

A few decades ago when people wanted to demolish the license fee, they used the argument that BBC One wasnt very popular [back then Itv used to batter BBC1]. However these days, the critics cant use that argument because BBC One is by far easiest the most popular channel on tv. And thats what I want BBC One to be - the most popular channel on tv with the highest rating tv shows. Quality shows in there for sure, but also mainstream shows inthere including Pound Shop Wars which has a place in the scheudles, though make no mistake about it, I know it's not a top quality shhow.

Popularity is more important than quality imo when it comes to BBC One. Quality is important, of course, but popualrity is the most important thing. For BBC2 and BBC4, the quality is the most important thing and niche stuff can air there.
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Samuel will you please answer this question. Why do you hate ITV so much? It comes across as weird, sad and demented. Sorry but it does. It causes petty arguments and hey I may be a hypocrite by saying this (I am) but why are you obsessive?

This!

The whole thing is just too much and is derailing this thread once again.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    A show that gets less viewers is generally going to make less money.

There are loads of slots where the BBC don't have good programmes... it doesn't seem unreasonable that some of those should be in slots where itv do well. ;-)

I don't think there can be many complaints if Call The Midwife gets put against Dancing on Ice or Doctor Who gets put against X Factor. But pitching the biggest dramas or the biggest entertainment series against each other seems not to be in the public interest.

The BBC has a responsibility to the TV industry as a whole - not just to ensuring its own survival and high ratings. If itv (or Channel 4 or Channel 5) are spending £1m + on a high profile and high quality UK drama or format which gets international recognition, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the BBC shouldn't be trying to actively damage that. Over the years I think the BBC have often been able to find an audience for shows (not the test card) against big itv shows without showing their biggest hits head to head.

But by and large I don't think the BBC are as bad as Samuel would have them be, thankfully.

What's also interesting is how in the regular season in the US, the networks have matured to a point where they actually schedule in quite a complimentary fashion with the exception of 10pm (where traditionally only drama works). But from 8-10pm you'll generally have one network with comedy, one with reality, one with drama and then one which overlaps one of those genres. You rarely see 3 comedy blocks or 3 reality franchises all going head to head.

Genuinly flabergasted that anyone can think like that. So the BBC have a responsibility to the TV industry as a whole but ITV do not because their commercial?
    Forum Member
    This!

You know what Im saying is true though Roscoe. BBC One are very ratings-focussed and want to maximise share. That invovles airing strong rating shows against some of Itv's big hitters to win back share in traditionally tough slots. Do you disagree with that statement?
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    645k (3.2%) for The X Factor: Cheryl Looks Back on ITV2 from 20:00, including +1. A little higher than the Cowell one on Monday.

Source: ITV Media

It would be amusing if the Louis Walsh one tonight beats them both.
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Danny Cohen revealed in his interview at the television festival in Edinburgh, that he had no plans to move "Top Gear" to BBC one. It had been subject to discussion over the years but he doesn't feel its the right move. Its nothing to do with the presenters, if he says its moving it moves. The show isnt going to change channels.

It was decided long ago that Top Gear wasn't moving, way before Cohen was in charge. At the time it was widely believed to be the case that the team didn't want to move the show and so it stayed. The time has passed now anyway, the time to move was 7 years ago when it was huge post Hammond's crash.

In any event, Cohen lacks the clout to fire Clarkson, he's making too much money for Worldwide so it becomes a decision that goes over his head.
  • pdwillpdwill Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Genuinly flabergasted that anyone can think like that. So the BBC have a responsibility to the TV industry as a whole but ITV do not because their commercial?

The BBC has a responsibility to the Licence Fee payer to provide the best programming possible in each slot. They're not there to protect ITV's bottom-line.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    It would be amusing if the Louis Walsh one tonight beats them both.

It was decided long ago that Top Gear wasn't moving, way before Cohen was in charge. At the time it was widely believed to be the case that the team didn't want to move the show and so it stayed. The time has passed now anyway, the time to move was 7 years ago when it was huge post Hammond's crash.

In any event, Cohen lacks the clout to fire Clarkson, he's making too much money for Worldwide so it becomes a decision that goes over his head.

Crazy! That Worldwide cash is more important. He is said to be too close to David Cameron for Cohen to sack him also. I think that Cohen mentions that there have been discussions on the move for a long time but I doubt the presenters could do much if they had wanted to move it over to BBC one, other than leave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm continually flabergasted at the way people on here think the BBC exists solely to serve and sustain the BBC with the highest ratings possible rather than provide a public service.

It's continually picked up on (and acknowledged by the BBC) that they have a responsibility to encourage innovation and creativity in the industry as a whole, support UK producers and so on.

It's a TV Licence, not a BBC licence.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    pdwill wrote: »
    The BBC has a responsibility to the Licence Fee payer to provide the best programming possible in each slot. They're not there to protect ITV's bottom-line.

Neither are they there to damage it.
  • pdwillpdwill Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    Neither are they there to damage it.

I'm not suggesting that they do.

ITV's bottom-line should be largely irrelevant.

It's not a duopoly anymore.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this obsession with one FM verging on obsessional and tantamount to bullying?
    Just ignore the poster as he does state 'some' good facts and figures.

Before I get lynched - just expressing an opinion as a casual visitor to this thread.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    Maybe "Extra Slice" should have aired tonight!!
    Forum Member
    Someone mentioned to my post about XF rights cost going up therefore ratings needing to go up, that Big Bang Theory actors are being paid 3 times more than before but CBS wouldnt expect ratings to go up by 3 times. Of course not. But it's a completely different situation. BBT makes CBS a shedload of money through syndication. So even though the actors wages have gone up significantly, with the way the syndication deals are going, the show will continue to be extremely profitable if not more profitable in the future if syndication rights cost goes up. Obviously for XF however, the repeat value is not anywhere near as strong as Big Bang Theory's. The overnight figure is what counts predominantly. In terms of repeats, XF does fine but not as well as it used to a few years ago and it's not like syndication where itv gets a lot of money for it.

It is simple arithmetic. If you spend £20-50million more on the rights of a particular tv show which is predominantly making revenue based on overnight figures, then to make the same kind of profit as you used to, the viewing figures need to be higher than before. I'm sorry but it doesnt take Sherlock to work that one out!
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This!

I find all this "Oh Samuel, you're derailing the thread" stuff hilarious. He isn't derailing the thread at all! He's passionate about what he feels (and he does make some bonkers statements sometimes and does tend to get carried away on occasion) and you guys just get wound up by him because he openly, honestly, and passionately supports BBC1. So what? Do trainspotters annoy you all too? Do you find people with differing opinions and ideals annoying everywhere you go? Samuel has a passion for something you guys don't. That is all. He isn't robbing banks or mugging old ladies. If you don't like what he posts, don't read it! Believe me, I ignore loads of his posts. But I respond to the ones I feel warrant a response. At the end of the day, this is a discussion thread. That doesn't mean we can only discuss what you guys don't find offensive or annoying!
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm continually flabergasted at the way people on here think the BBC exists solely to serve and sustain the BBC with the highest ratings possible rather than provide a public service.

It's continually picked up on (and acknowledged by the BBC) that they have a responsibility to encourage innovation and creativity in the industry as a whole, support UK producers and so on.

Agreed. This thread in particular is full of people that actively want the BBC to act aggressively commercial. How utterly contradictory to its purpose.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, BBC1's role is to primarily provide populist programming and within that to also supply quality PSB programmes. Samuel is quite correct that BBC1 (not the BBC in general) does need to attract decent audiences in order to justify the LF. If BBC1 only had a million viewers, then rightly so the Government would be looking at ways to make the BBC available to that small audience via subscription. Of course it has a duty to all UK citizens to provide programming that is part of its PSB remit, but it isn't accurate to conclude that BBC1 isn't all about ratings.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Dont understand the hype about Bake Off tonight. One guy got ever so slightly annoyed and put his Baked Alaska disaster in the bin. It was hardly a major mental breakdown. :D

I love what Bake Off does to people though, It's sent the entire internet into Meltdown over meringue and Ice Cream- I've never seen anything quite like it, It could easily overshadow both XF and SCD and become the biggest show on TV. I can see 10-11 million overnights for the final, especially as the hype builds :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Is this obsession with one FM verging on obsessional and tantamount to bullying?
    Just ignore the poster as he does state 'some' good facts and figures.

Before I get lynched - just expressing an opinion as a casual visitor to this thread.

Samuel posts a lot and when he posts, nearly everything he says is deliberately inflammatory. It is inevitable that he dictates the tone of the thread, especially as he is ably assisted by number of supporters who back him up. Whether this is good or bad for the thread is another argument - it's certainly amusing at times, it creates debate and keeps the thread moving. I do smile every time I read a made up internal target or his latest excuses for Tumble. But he thrives on the reaction, it's what he is looking for. Nobody could reasonably believe some of the things he writes.

PS: As for those facts and figures, they tend to be made up, sometimes he's just lying and on more than one occasion he has misappropriated the research of others as his own (via mythical "inside sources"). ;-)
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samuel posts a lot and when he posts, nearly everything he says is deliberately inflammatory. It is inevitable that he dictates the tone of the thread, especially as he is ably assisted by number of supporters who back him up. Whether this is good or bad for the thread is another argument - it's certainly amusing at times, it creates debate and keeps the thread moving. I do smile every time I read a made up internal target or his latest excuses for Tumble. But he thrives on the reaction, it's what he is looking for. Nobody could reasonably believe some of the things he writes.

PS: As for those facts and figures, they tend to be made up, sometimes he's just lying and on more than one occasion he has misappropriated the research of others as his own (via mythical "inside sources").

I appreciate your measured response. Hey I know that 'maybe' the case (with re: facts and internal sources) at times to support the argument but I don't take anyone too seriously when they talk about what Doris is watching next door. As you say the flow of discussion isn't stagnant.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A show that gets less viewers is generally going to make less money.
    Will the extra hour of Coronation St limit the minutes of commercials ITV can air during X Factor and Whicher that night?

Am I right in thinking they sometimes air things like Surprise Surprise with some ad-free breaks in order to pack extra ads into X Factor and Abbey/Celeb?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I find all this "Oh Samuel, you're derailing the thread" stuff hilarious. He isn't derailing the thread at all! He's passionate about what he feels (and he does make some bonkers statements sometimes and does tend to get carried away on occasion) and you guys just get wound up by him because he openly, honestly, and passionately supports BBC1. So what? Do trainspotters annoy you all too? Do you find people with differing opinions and ideals annoying everywhere you go? Samuel has a passion for something you guys don't. That is all. He isn't robbing banks or mugging old ladies. If you don't like what he posts, don't read it! Believe me, I ignore loads of his posts. But I respond to the ones I feel warrant a response. At the end of the day, this is a discussion thread. That doesn't mean we can only discuss what you guys don't find offensive or annoying!

Honestly, if the boost was on the other foot I really don't think you would be quite so supportive of him. Since you support the BBC it doesn't quite irritate you as much since he's talking about the channel you like. If you take his posts and swap ITV with BBC and rad again; tell me honestly that you wouldn't find his posts irritating?

Frankly I'm fed up of his silly chat of destroying ITV, its not constructive, its not debatable and its not smart - its just trolling.
    Forum Member
    Honestly, if the boost was on the other foot I really don't think you would be quite so supportive of him. Since you support the BBC it doesn't quite irritate you as much since he's talking about the channel you like. If you take his posts and swap ITV with BBC and rad again; tell me honestly that you wouldn't find his posts irritating?
    Im sorry that you feel that way H. The news that the BBC scheduled the SCD launch against XF was a big one today and I guess I got carried away.

Incidentally what are your thoughts about the Rising Star developments about it being stripped across one week in March next year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sensible decision R.e Rising Star. It was ultimately bound to flop anyway, especially against The Voice. If I were ITV I would put in on Summer 2015, as least then they might have something rating better at that time of year than rpt's.

The Voice doesn't need help collapsing, it will do that on its own.

So weekends for ITV next year look to be:

Saturday

7pm Name That Tune
    8pm Take Me Out
    9:20pm The Jonathon Ross Show

Sunday

The Chase/Celeb Squares
    Stars In Their Eyes.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Will the extra hour of Coronation St limit the minutes of commercials ITV can air during X Factor and Whicher that night?

Am I right in thinking they sometimes air things like Surprise Surprise with some ad-free breaks in order to pack extra ads into X Factor and Abbey/Celeb?

They're allowed 40 minutes between 6 and 11pm, and no more than 12 in a clock hour. If they use the maximum over three hours they have only 4 minutes left in the other two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Im sorry that you feel that way H. The news that the BBC scheduled the SCD launch against XF was a big one today and I guess I got carried away.

Incidentally what are your thoughts about the Rising Star developments about it being stripped across one week in March next year?

You did get carried away and its really annoying to read posts like that.
    If you were not quite so over the top you would be a poster we could debate with, but unfortunately you just seem to want BBC1 to dent ITV 24/7 and you can't debate with someone who constantly has that on their mind.

R.e Rising Star see post above.
This discussion has been closed.