Options

Jolie's Cleopatra casting starts race row

teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
Forum Member
The producers of the forthcoming Cleopatra film have been criticised for casting Angelina Jolie in the title role.

An article by Shirea L. Carroll on website Essence.com blasted Oscar-winning producer Scott Rudin and the makers of the historical epic for selecting Jolie to play an African queen.

She wrote: "Honestly, I don't care how full Angelina Jolie's lips are, how many African children she adopts, or how bronzed her skin will become for the film, I firmly believe this role should have gone to a Black woman."

Carroll suggested that Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry and Thandie Newton would have been better choices for the part, and lambasted Hollywood for previously casting white women Claudette Colbert, Vivien Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor as the Egyptian queen.

Stacy Schiff, author of the biography Queen Of The Nile, Cleopatra: A Life on which the movie will be based, previously endorsed Jolie, saying that she had "the perfect look" for the role. Schiff has also suggested Jolie's partner Brad Pitt to play Cleopatra's lover Marc Anthony.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a229411/jolie-cleopatra-casting-sparks-race-row.html

I have to say that I slightly agree; we're in 2010 and audiences wouldn't be put off by a black leading lady. You wouldn't cast Jim Carey as Martin Luther King, would you?

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I like Angelina Jolie but I agree with the journalist. I think they've chosen Angelina because usually she sells really well, whereas I don't ever recall Thandie Newton being the main actress in a film, I know Halle Berry has and I'm gonna be honest I've never seen any of her films so I can't really comment on whether she'd be good or not. Vanessa Williams..Isn't she in Ugly Betty? Is she a film actress?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Cleopatra wouldn't have been black though because she was of Greek origin.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jolie seems totally wrong for Cleopatra to me. It will be even worse if plank of wood Brad plays Mark Anthony!

They should definitely pick a dark skinned actress. We don't want to see Jolie plastered in ronseal (like Alec Gunness in Passage to India). Vanessa Williams is a better looking than Jolie too.
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cleopatra was Greek, not African! Jolie is perfect IMO
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's ridiculous this journalist is seriously suggesting casting someone based solely on their skin colour, when it is to play a historical character that noone can really be sure of how she actually looked.

Acting ability and how big a draw the actress is, along with budget, isn't discriminating against anyone, whereas to me, the journalist is the one discriminating against others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the poster above said unfortunately Cleopatra was of Greek heritage with Red hair reading the reports from that era.

I have always liked Egyptian history and it's shame they are doing another movie about Cleopatra would have preferred them have done a movie about Hatsheput were one would have dark skinned actress playing the part.

Lots of movies have been made about Greek and Roman history hopefully this will spark a trend for movie makers to look at Egyptian, Persian, Mesopotamia and others for movie making.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carry on Cleo will never be topped, I don't even know why they are trying.

:cool:
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I think Liz Taylor played the role before, wihtout much controversy? Why the big deal now?
    I didn't think Cleopatra was black either, more sallow - Greek/turkish complexion. I think Jolie is a mistake simply because I don't think she will carry a film like this, remember Alexander? She's more suited to slightly indie films or big action types imo. :)
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the poster above said unfortunately Cleopatra was of Greek heritage with Red hair reading the reports from that era.

I have always liked Egyptian history and it's shame they are doing another movie about Cleopatra would have preferred them have done a movie about Hatsheput were one would have dark skinned actress playing the part.

Lots of movies have been made about Greek and Roman history hopefully this will spark a trend for movie makers to look at Egyptian, Persian, Mesopotamia and others for movie making.

Yes yes! People always go for Cleopatra but Hatshepsut was an epic woman. I'd much rather see a film about her life than another about some manipulative chick and her asp:o

But I guess she's not a dramatic enough name:rolleyes:
  • Options
    purplelinuspurplelinus Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes yes! People always go for Cleopatra but Hatshepsut was an epic woman. I'd much rather see a film about her life than another about some manipulative chick and her asp:o

But I guess she's not a dramatic enough name:rolleyes:

Only woman ever to become Pharaoh if I remember correctly? Your correct but I think it's the epic love story that sells Cleopatra - although Hatshepsuts story would be far more interesting IMO! (played by Jolie of course! Sorry - am biased, love her!)
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's ridiculous this journalist is seriously suggesting casting someone based solely on their skin colour, when it is to play a historical character that noone can really be sure of how she actually looked.

Acting ability and how big a draw the actress is, along with budget, isn't discriminating against anyone, whereas to me, the journalist is the one discriminating against others.

I agree with you. The journalist just being quite racist. I didn't read any journalists complaining about the Nancy in the BBCs Oliver Twist being played by black actresses...
    I think Anjolina Jolie is an excellent choice for Cleopatra.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    I think Liz Taylor played the role before, wihtout much controversy? Why the big deal now?
    The civil landscape of America has changed quite a big deal since then.
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I agree with you. The journalist just being quite racist. I didn't read any journalists complaining about the Nancy in the BBCs Oliver Twist being played by black actresses...
    Nancy is not a real person.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Are the people here supporting this journalist aware that Cleopatra was of Greek descent?. Not black African. Not remotely so.

The journalist's ignorance is only matched by their racial paranoia.
  • Options
    RomusRomus Posts: 4,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The position put forward in this article is just not tenable. Cleopatra was of the Ptolomaic dynasty who were Greeks from Macedonia. Generally, they had incestuous marriages and there is no proof of any kind that she was in any way black. Her ethnic mix is likely to have been Greek with a little Egyptian.

Depictions of Cleopatra in paintings, sculptures and coins show a Caucasian person. She also has a large, prominent Greek/Egyptian nose. Shouldn't the writer of this article be angling for either a Greek or Arab actress to be playing this role? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There was a bit of a fuss from Iranian historians when a mixed race black actress was chosen to play Roxanne the Satrap's daughter, in Oliver Stone's film about King Alexander. They pointed out that Roxanne came from a nomadic pale skinned Iranian tribe. Perhaps an Iranian-American or Arab-American should have been selected for this role instead?

We hear the same nonsense discussed about Tutankhamun the Egyptian boy king. Dr Hawass, the head of Egyptian Antiquities has stated quite clearly that he was NOT black.

No doubt the next Egyptian monarch to be Afrocentrised will be Queen Nefertiti - who is also plainly, not black either!!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The civil landscape of America has changed quite a big deal since then.

Nancy is not a real person.

No, Nancy was Charles Dickens character and she was white.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    Jolie seems totally wrong for Cleopatra to me. It will be even worse if plank of wood Brad plays Mark Anthony!

They should definitely pick a dark skinned actress. We don't want to see Jolie plastered in ronseal (like Alec Gunness in Passage to India). Vanessa Williams is a better looking than Jolie too.

There would be no need to "plaster" Angelina in Ronseal because Cleopatra was of Macedonian Greek origin. Therefore, Angelina's own skin tone would be fine. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only woman ever to become Pharaoh if I remember correctly? Your correct but I think it's the epic love story that sells Cleopatra - although Hatshepsuts story would be far more interesting IMO! (played by Jolie of course! Sorry - am biased, love her!)

Have seen a mummy supposed to be Hatshepsut's - even having been dead for thousands of years, she looked elegant (and caucasoid) and beautiful with long red hair (so, no, she wasn't black either).
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    I have to say that I slightly agree; we're in 2010 and audiences wouldn't be put off by a black leading lady. You wouldn't cast Jim Carey as Martin Luther King, would you?

I'm not sure Cleopatra was black - Cleopatra was descended from Ptolomy who was one of Alexander The Great's most loyal Generals and therefore more of Greek extraction.

If anything Angelina is too old for the part - Cleopatra was in 22 when her she gave birth to Caesarion she had with Caesar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Romus wrote: »
    No, Nancy was Charles Dickens character and she was white.

And which part of the book would that be?
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What part of the book says she's black?
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    What part of the book says she's black?

None, but by the racial mix of London at the time she could have been.

Slavery was illegal in Britain from Manfield's law in the early 1800s, so there were lots of free black people living in the country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Cleopatra was of Greek origin, she was not black. It's true that some of the Pharoahs were black, but not all of them were even African (for example the Persian dynasty).

Genetically most were mixed race due to diplomatic marriages between kingdoms in the ancient near east (from Africa to Southern Europe); and depictions show that basically they looked like Egyptians do now i.e. varying in colour and look from very dark to very pale, varying in face type as well.

So, no problem with Jolie being cast as Cleopatra BUT I wish they would make movies about other Egyptian Queens who to be honest have more interesting back-stories e.g. Hatchepsut, who ruled the country about a thousand years before Cleopatra; Nefertiti and her daughter Akhensenamun who were around during a period that makes Rome look like the average episode of Play School. Then you have the wives of Ramesses III who tried to bump him off...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Well folks there's actually a BBC news article from last year that says the skeleton of the woman believed to be Cleopatra's mother is African. Check it out with an online search
  • Options
    lux lisbon 2lux lisbon 2 Posts: 6,273
    Forum Member
    Angelina played Marianne Pearl who was mixed race - did that draw nas much criticism or was it generally over looked? I would just worry if she was cast as Cleopatra that she would suck as much as she did in Alexander where she played Colin Farrell's MOTHER!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What ????:confused::confused: