Tanning moisturisers

GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
Forum Member
✭✭
The perennial problem, but I need help. I've used various gradual tanners in the past - Johnson's and Dove particularly - and somehow they still streak or go patchy even though they're not supposed to. I did have a good run with Johnson's one year but then I had a shower one day, dried my legs and the colour all came off on the towel, which was odd.

So basically 2 questions:
1 - which gradual tanner is any good?
2 - how do I apply it so it doesn't look like crap?

Comments

• rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Dove's. I find it great, I use it as if it is normal moisturiser with no tan in it and just smear it on, there's never streaks.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with rebellion - whenever I use the Dove one, I'd use it as normal lotion during summer and it never streaked for me.

Depending on what your budget is, St Tropez has an excellent product called Gradual Tan Everyday for around £14, I've never found it to be streaky. Clinique has a decent one called Self Sun; unfortunately, it takes quite a long time to dry. However, Clarins' Radiance-Plus is the best gradual tanning lotion (there's a gel as well) I've ever used. It's slightly pricey at £30, but it smells amazing and it's wonderfully absorbent.

Application-wise: I just smother it on myself, rub it in for a few minutes and let it dry properly before getting dressed.
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The perennial problem, but I need help. I've used various gradual tanners in the past - Johnson's and Dove particularly - and somehow they still streak or go patchy even though they're not supposed to. I did have a good run with Johnson's one year but then I had a shower one day, dried my legs and the colour all came off on the towel, which was odd.

So basically 2 questions:
    1 - which gradual tanner is any good?
    2 - how do I apply it so it doesn't look like crap?

Agree with the other two posts, Dove is good. Are you exfoliating before applying it? I find that makes a big difference, even with just a gradual tanner.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all. Will try the exfoliating thing and see if that works better.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have very pale freckled skin and the best for me and a natural look is clarins after sun with a hint of tint. It looks great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of ignored your advice by buying Garnier rather than Dove, but the exfoliating tip seems to have worked a treat - my legs haven't had this much colour ever!
  • Dakota.Dakota. Posts: 10,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of ignored your advice by buying Garnier rather than Dove, but the exfoliating tip seems to have worked a treat - my legs haven't had this much colour ever!

What brand you choose is only a personal opinion, glad the exfoliating helped though :)
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I LOVE Garnier - all their tanning/body glow products.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the face my far and away favourite is Elemis Total Glow (great value on ebay). It is the only facial tanner that gives me a tan as opposed to dirty looking face. (Apparantly Catherine Zita Jones was seen buying it). It is for face and body but I am too mean to use it on my body so one tube lasts ages (and still stays potent from one summer to the next.

One year I couldn't find my tube and was in Oxford Street to buy an emergency purchase as I was going away for the weekend. It was out of stock so I bought the Dior face tan thinking as it was such a good make it would be ok - but no dirty face again :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I LOVE Garnier - all their tanning/body glow products.

It goes on BEAUTIFULLY :) like, it looks a good colour, but just the process of actually applying it is really nice, it's like silk.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Dove fan. I have slightly dry skin so I apply moisturiser/body lotion first and then the Dove and never have a problem.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L'Oréal Sublime Bronze Gradual Tan is a really good colour for £6.

My personal favs are Guinot Auto Bronzant, St Tropez Gradual Tan.

A mitt is essential to eliminate streaks.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Garnier do tinted self tans? I don't like non-tinted ones as you can't see where it's going.
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're prepared to shell out a bit more, the Make Believe gradual tanner is amazing. Most natural colour I've found and has great staying power. I use it alternate days, with my normal body moisturiser in between.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    I use baby oil spray before using dove.