Options

The Cruise Ship

Comments

• Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Really...what abut Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas, very similar size to Royal Princess, operating itineraries to Norway & Iceland.

Let alone Queen Mary II operated by Cunard which is a bigger ship.

Queen Mary 2 holds 2,600 passengers, far fewer than some of the Royal Caribbean monstrosities, so you get much more cubic metres of space per person, and you certainly aren't overcrowded. Also QM2 is the last of the proper ocean liners, she isn't just a cruise ship (there is a difference!)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debb1e wrote: »
    Queen Mary 2 holds 2,600 passengers, far fewer than some of the Royal Caribbean monstrosities, so you get much more cubic metres of space per person, and you certainly aren't overcrowded. Also QM2 is the last of the proper ocean liners, she isn't just a cruise ship (there is a difference!)

I was on about size of ships, not capacity...your right about QM2 or Cunard in general, about the difference...too many Cunard passengers are so full of self importance and up their own arses, give me Celebrity, Regent, Silversea & Seabourn any day of the week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I was on about size of ships, not capacity...your right about QM2 or Cunard in general, about the difference...too many Cunard passengers are so full of self importance and up their own arses, give me Celebrity, Regent, Silversea & Seabourn any day of the week.

Excuse me I have been on the QM2 5 times and I am not full of self importance or up my own arse, in fact Cunard are extremely good value for money.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The difference I was referring to was the difference between a cruise ship and an ocean liner. There is a physical difference between the structure of the vessels.

An ocean liner has a pointed hull and the steel is 25mm thick. It is designed for speed and the ability to withstand the battering of the north Atlantic when doing a transatlantic voyage. The QM2 is the only remaining ocean liner.

A cruise ship, on the other hand, usually has a flat-bottomed hull, has 12mm thick steel and is designed for making short 'hops' between ports of call such as the Med or the Caribbean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse me I have been on the QM2 5 times and I am not full of self importance or up my own arse, in fact Cunard are extremely good value for money.

I didn't say everybody...I said many. I know they are good value for money, I got a bargain with them for August 15th - 14 nights on QE for £480 per person, even at them prices I wouldn't go with Cunard.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm with you there. I've been on all the Cunard queens and the Caronia and QE2 before them, and I'm certainly not full of self-importance. I've worked all of my life and I like to reap the rewards sometimes, and a Cunard cruise is the way to go! :)
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one watching any more?
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    No one watching any more?

Yes we are. I hope all the people that I have raved about cruising to weren't watching, they will think I am mad.

I think they stitched Deputy Dan up, he can't be that bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LazySusan wrote: »
    Yes we are. I hope all the people that I have raved about cruising to weren't watching, they will think I am mad.

I think they stitched Deputy Dan up, he can't be that bad.

Hollywould You? Seemed popular, so either he is quite good or people are so starved of entertainment they'll laugh at anything!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What channel was this on? I didn't know anything about it and I'd love to see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many watching this now?

Quick question has this programme put anybody off cruising?

Had I not cruised before, it would have put me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still watching and yes it would have put me off, there's loads of negative posts on the Princess Cruises Facebook page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still watching and yes it would have put me off, there's loads of negative posts on the Princess Cruises Facebook page.

I am honestly not surprised about the negative posts, I cannot understand who signed this off at Princess Cruises or what demographic they are trying to aim for.

The programme is neither factual or entertaining, it sort of reminds me of the programme that was done with EasyCruise, but that programme you knew the market it was targeting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It really seems you have to be careful which company you go with, I've done 5 cruises on the QM2 and one on the P&O Ventura and the Ventura was actually like the way they are portraying the Royal Princess on this programme, I'm booked on Emerald Princess at the end of October and I hope it's ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Ventura and Azura are very much family ships and I have a feeling their new ship Britannia will be very similar, with P&O you are probably better sticking with the older ships.

If this had been Carnival cruises then this is the type of programme I would expect.

Emerald Princess is a big ship, and the end of October is school holidays, but if you are doing the Southampton to Fort Lauderdale/Houston sailing you should be ok.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the majority of posts that modern cruise shops are pretty ugly and nothing more than floating blocks of flats I much prefer the old ocean liners and for that reason I'm booking a trip on the QM 2 next year, just don't fact being overcrowded on one of those huge monstrosities
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    james_W85 wrote: »
    I agree with the majority of posts that modern cruise shops are pretty ugly and nothing more than floating blocks of flats I much prefer the old ocean liners and for that reason I'm booking a trip on the QM 2 next year, just don't fact being overcrowded on one of those huge monstrosities

Agree that most modern cruise ships are really just hotels with a hull. However, that doesn't mean they have to be overcrowded. I've been on a few large ships where there have been times I have had a section of deck to myself even though I knew there were several thousand people on the ship.

BTW a good measure of space on a ship is the Gross Registered Tonnage (GRT - actually a measure of volume not weight) divided by total number of passengers. A number better than 40 is good.

Re this week's episode I think Dan, the aspirant Cruise Director, needs to mature a fair bit before he can achieve him aim.
  • Options
    Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Not many watching this now?

Quick question has this programme put anybody off cruising?

Had I not cruised before, it would have put me off.

If I had a list of things I'd like to do before I die, cruising certainly wouldn't be one of them. The only reason I watch programmes like this is to confirm that I'm not missing out on anything. I've seen nothing to change that view.

Many of my elderly neighbours go on cruises and it strikes me that the main reason they go is to see how much food they can eat :o Some younger friends of ours went on a cruise a couple of years ago and vowed they would never do that again as they both put on too much weight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had a list of things I'd like to do before I die, cruising certainly wouldn't be one of them. The only reason I watch programmes like this is to confirm that I'm not missing out on anything. I've seen nothing to change that view.

Many of my elderly neighbours go on cruises and it strikes me that the main reason they go is to see how much food they can eat :o Some younger friends of ours went on a cruise a couple of years ago and vowed they would never do that again as they both put on too much weight!

And to be honest with you, they are fun and enjoyable, but in reality you are not missing out on anything special whatsoever.

Besides the food issue, you are never usually in a place long enough to really say you have been. As a friend once said cruising is for people who lack imagination and I can see what they meant.

With that said I really want to do these:-

http://www.starclippers.com/en/
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    What channel was this on? I didn't know anything about it and I'd love to see it.

It's on Fridays on ITV.

We love cruising and don't put on weight as we don't stuff ourselves silly. Plus all ships have Gyms, I can't be bothered with that but all the walking round the ship and on deck ( the big ships have jogging/ walking lanes measured out for you) keep the weight off. We enjoy going for the company of others, the shows, the staterooms and great service and the relaxation.

It's a pity this show isn't showing the younger cruisers, all the children's clubs on board etc to show it appeals to all ages.

The threads on the Cruise Critic Forums are also panning the program, especially by those that have sailed on Princess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another week, another total lack of posts on this program!

If I'm not the only one watching, can anyone explain how they needed 200 tonnes of food and drink? Even if they counted the weight of the plates, glasses, cutlery, etc, that's still nearly 100kg per person (about the weight of a very fat person)!!!

And that was just lunch, they returned to the ship for dinner.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the singer guy is Gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If I'm not the only one watching, can anyone explain how they needed 200 tonnes of food and drink? Even if they counted the weight of the plates, glasses, cutlery, etc, that's still nearly 100kg per person (about the weight of a very fat person)!!!

Well most of the passengers were probably American and they need their food.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member

For the private island we used to go to all the cutlery, plates and glasses were kept on the island. The main stock that was needed was the food and the drink. No idea how much they would take across each time (not my job that bit).

It's quite an easy going series, watched my first episode last night. With the characters and narration it's almost a parody.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I think the singer guy is Gay.

I wouldn't disagree; i think the head chef possibly is as well.

Nice singing voice though, I think