The Child Genius Discussion Thread.

Comments

• duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Aliyah's parents are scary!

Very . No clue about what a child needs.

" my child F..ed up ". Says Mum . No Mum , you did
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "genius" may be a bit of an exaggeration, the questions don't seem that hard to me and they don't get them all correct.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    I think "genius" may be a bit of an exaggeration, the questions don't seem that hard to me and they don't get them all correct.
    It feels like a narrow definition of genius or intelligence. I've got a friend who probably has a very high IQ in the conventional sense and is very good at maths and languages but is probably shaky on other aspects.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • AshleyRoseXAshleyRoseX Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's living her life through Aliyah and it's so selfish. She's depriving Aliyah's wants and needs for her own.
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Tudor's parents scare me! Their reaction to him just going through - you'll need to work harder!

Tudor is already hard on himself as it is, now he has his Dad in his ear. Hazel(Sister) seems much more relaxed. She's scored higher than Tudor too.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Personally I see some of the parents treatment of these poor kids a form of abuse

This.

I am watching this on catch up. I already want to punch that little girl's parents in the gob. They are creating someone who will have a hard time making friends because nobody will be good enough for her. Once a child begins calling themselves a genius the game is lost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's living her life through Aliyah and it's so selfish. She's depriving Aliyah's wants and needs for her own.

Tudor is already hard on himself as it is, now he has his Dad in his ear. Hazel(Sister) seems much more relaxed.

His Dad was wearing clothes about two sizes too big.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see no real parental or protective love for this child from these two. The child is their instrument. They are controlling, full of their own importance, oblivious to the damage they are causing their daughter and are totally uncharming people. I think they are borderline sociopaths.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peculiar name they chose for their daughter ..... The 2 x psychologists. Pronounced A Liar.

Wonder how long it will be before she decides that she doesn't want to be part of their family meetings. I don't think mine would have put up with that. They are both a bit scary and should allow her to be a child.

I notice they didn't have any other kids so they devote all their hopes, ambitions and time into her. Some kids take this for so long and then rebel against it. Mind you if they're as super intelligent as they say they are, they must know this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Excuse me mummy I'm talking"....????

She has created a little monster.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it now child abuse to give a gifted child the tools, space and time to fulfil their potential ?

Apart from the Irish woman's fetish for vegetable drinks and her goofy hair style I thought the parents were fairly OK and not too nutty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    I see no real parental or protective love for this child from these two. The child is their instrument. They are controlling, full of their own importance, oblivious to the damage they are causing their daughter and are totally uncharming people. I think they are borderline sociopaths.

Completly agree . They will never get that what they doing is damaging a little girl . They both seem as mad as each other
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Is it now child abuse to give a gifted child the tools, space and time to fulfil their potential ?

Apart from the Irish woman's fetish for vegetable drinks and her goofy hair style I thought the parents were fairly OK and not too nutty.

You can give a child the tools to cope in this life and to fit in with her peers and have fun and laugh and sing
    or you can givevthem tools to be a misfit and never fit in . I know which tools I would wish for my children
  • sjw8sjw8 Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    I can't help feeling sorry for this young girl and her parents' regime for her.

I note that Aliyah's parents are both psychologists.

It seemed to me that they were treating their daughter as some kind of project or experiment to test out their own theories into the "nurture v nature" argument.

I imagine that in a few years time some of these of these kids will not be able to cope with the normalities of life where they may not be able to interact with others of their own age and become isolated from their peer groups :(

ETA - I was watching the repeat of 56 up last week - one of them (Neil) a nice intelligence lad when we first met him, later developed mental health problems. I hope that this does befall these kids who do not seem to have a normal childhood :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can give a child the tools to cope in this life and to fit in with her peers and have fun and laugh and sing
    or you can givevthem tools to be a misfit and never fit in . I know which tools I would wish for my children

Applause :)

They have even inflicted the mother's looney hairdo on the little girl. They are exploiting this child; she can be bright and clever and get along well in a good carefully chosen school and be a likeable kid with a childhood without being the trained monkey she is being turned into.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    vixyvic wrote: »
    It feels like a narrow definition of genius or intelligence. I've got a friend who probably has a very high IQ in the conventional sense and is very good at maths and languages but is probably shaky on other aspects.

Exactly...and emotional intelligence is massively important too
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Completly agree . They will never get that what they doing is damaging a little girl . They both seem as mad as each other

Feel desperately sorry for this little girl, and equally angry and frustrated at her parents for putting her through this and treating her this way.

I'm torn. On the one hand I want her to lose in this competition to take her deeply unpleasant mother down a peg or two. But if/when that happens, I also fear that the poor mite will cop even more punishment. :cry:
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    sjw8 wrote: »

It seemed to me that they were treating their daughter as some kind of project or experiment to test out their own theories into the "nurture v nature" argument.

I imagine that in a few years time some of these of these kids will not be able to cope with the normalities of life where they may not be able to interact with others of their own age and become isolated from their peer groups :(

ETA - I was watching the repeat of 56 up last week - one of them (Neil) a nice intelligence lad when we first met him, later developed mental health problems. I hope that this does befall these kids who do not seem to have a normal childhood :(

Oh gosh yes Neil was such a sweetheart, very sad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I just watched this on +1 and some of those parents should be investigated for child abuse.

Why wasn't that little ginger haired girl going to school? Making friends and playing childhood games is a massive part of human development. Her parents, who presumably have a lot of time on their hands, are treating her like a play thing to entertain them.

The psychologists were the worst though, that child is clearly some kind of genetic clone of her appalling and dreadful mother, and she is being used as some kind of experiment.

The only decent parents were those of the Asian kid, and he clearly was extremely gifted and they're simply nurturing that whilst developing him as person in his own right.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camden1 wrote: »
    I just watched this on +1 and some of those parents should be investigated for child abuse.

Why wasn't that little ginger haired girl going to school? Making friends and playing childhood games is a massive part of human development. Her parents, who presumably have a lot of time on their hands, are treating her like a play thing to entertain them.

Yeah, no mention of whether she had any friends of her own age?

Last year, there was that chess boy, and people were giving his mum a hard time but I thought she was very fair compared to some of them tonight.

It seemed unlikely to me that Aliyah's parents would enjoy particularly good social lives, it's a shame she might turn out the same way. When her parents said we don't feel appreciated, I thought it was more the other way round........

Thought Tudor's parents were ok until the blunt 'you're not as good as we thought' afterwards. Also if he's very good at football you can't be amazing academically and good at sports imo, trying to do both to a crazy high level could end up spoiling both

I do like this show a lot, looking forward to next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camden1 wrote: »

Yes, I wonder if they have jobs but the daughter seemed pretty happy to me, I think if you're home-schooled it is better if you have a sibling to share "school" with.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This, this and this.

I was raised to believe that doing well academically was everything and I pretty much crashed by the time I got to 15 and now just wish I had had the chance to be boring and average.

An adequate all rounder is much more likely to do well in life IMO
  • alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    This, this and this.

I was raised to believe that doing well academically was everything and I pretty much crashed by the time I got to 15 and now just wish I had had the chance to be boring and average.

An adequate all rounder is much more likely to do well in life IMO

My opinion also, yes I sang nursery rhymes to my children, read books every day,played and laughed but also let them know that their best was good enough for me, I know have two wellrounded adult children but what made me sad was the four hours after school some of them were coached, where will the carefree memories come from, there is more to life and our childhood is what we look back on when adult life seems tough,I cannnot believe particularly the so called pscycologists
  • weelass2010weelass2010 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    alimi wrote: »
    My opinion also, yes I sang nursery rhymes to my children, read books every day,played and laughed but also let them know that their best was good enough for me, I know have two wellrounded adult children but what made me sad was the four hours after school some of them were coached, where will the carefree memories come from, there is more to life and our childhood is what we look back on when adult life seems tough,I cannnot believe particularly the so called pscycologists
    The Phycologist (Parent !!!) is trying to live her life through her child !! Are they(and I mean all the parents) trying to turn them into robots, that's what it looks like. Expecting children to spew out numbers and answers .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjw8 wrote: »

ETA - I was watching the repeat of 56 up last week - one of them (Neil) a nice intelligence lad when we first met him, later developed mental health problems. I hope that this does befall these kids who do not seem to have a normal childhood
    :(

I recall one of the earlier series of Up - may have been 28 or 35 - when Neil was speaking about his schooling and the onset of his problems. He said he was never as intelligent as his parents had always told him he was and he discovered this when he went in secondary school. He said in primary he'd been an average kid in a class of kids who were rather below average ability which in effect made him look better than he was and he discovered in secondary that he was not 'up there' with the brighter kids. He felt he'd been misled and lied to all through primary school. In 14 Up he is a different child and the melancholy is already in his eyes and a sign of what is to come. He was an articulate child but nothing out of the ordinary (his own words). Point being when you raise your child up too early in life they can find themselves coming back to earth with a loud thud later on.