Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Indeed! They sang backing vocals on 'Matchstalk Cats And Dogs' though it was a completely different line up. But it could make the act a two hit one hit wonder!

....and Brian and Michael were responsible for the 'anthem' that was "It's 'orrible Being In Love when You're 8 And A Half" by Claire And Friends back in 1986! :eek:
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and Brian and Michael were responsible for the 'anthem' that was "It's 'orrible Being In Love when You're 8 And A Half" by Claire And Friends back in 1986! :eek:

Oh my God what have I started here! :eek:

TOTP is on again at a reasonable hour in just a few minutes.
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    TOTP is on again at a reasonable hour in just a few minutes.

Thanks for the reminder Rich. I'm off to watch it and chill!
    Catcha later. :)
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    The 'Yes it's number one blog' has an interesting reaction by that Radio Times letter

It doesn't say they're not going to, it says essentially they don't know. BBC4 won't have made any plans for next year (apart from a couple of already announced special seasons, but that's different) by the end of August when RT would have started being put to bed and they didn't announce or start working on '77 until some way into October.

I say a 75% chance that we'll get 1978 in the new year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Yes it's number one blog' has an interesting reaction by that Radio Times letter

It doesn't say they're not going to, it says essentially they don't know. BBC4 won't have made any plans for next year (apart from a couple of already announced special seasons, but that's different) by the end of August when RT would have started being put to bed and they didn't announce or start working on '77 until some way into October.

I say a 75% chance that we'll get 1978 in the new year.

Chemical, could you just enlighten me about what this Radio Times letter is? Thanks.
  • ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    So what can we do to make sure top of the pops is on next year any ideas and I think someone said they knew how much does it cost what are the figures that you're talking I really hope the repeats continue
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    So what can we do to make sure top of the pops is on next year any ideas and I think someone said they knew how much does it cost what are the figures that you're talking I really hope the repeats continue

Just read this on the BBC Messageboard, and (for what its worth?) it looks like the moderator is raising the issue with the Points Of View program.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if we all added comments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=8381052
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Just read this on the BBC Messageboard, and (for what its worth?) it looks like the moderator is raising the issue with the Points Of View program.

I guess it wouldn't hurt if we all added comments.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=8381052
    I've added my voice at that link, hopefully more will do.

1978 is one of my favourite years for music, followed by 1979. I'd hate the last TOTP that BBC shows to have 'Mull Of Kintyre' and 'The Floral Dance' as numbers 1 and 2...
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They NEED to show 1978. I want to relive the moment the very first time I saw Kate Bush on the show. Life was never the same again!!
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They NEED to show 1978. I want to relive the moment the very first time I saw Kate Bush on the show. Life was never the same again!!

I can only agree 100% with this. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier this week I downloaded and listened to the entire Top 20 as broadcast on Radio 1 from Sunday,12th March,1978 with Tom Browne, which was the chart that had Kate Bush reaching No1 with Wuthering Heights.

If anyone is interested, it is available to download, subject to a password which I have, from Azanorak;

www.azanorak.com/

Just go down to the Radio 1 link.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    I can only agree 100% with this. :)

She was just incandescently beautiful and THAT voice! I was mesmerised, nobody's ever had that much impact on me before or since.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never liked 'Wuthering Heights', she DOES sound like a screeching cat! But the follow up, 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes' is absolute magic. It's such a beautiful song.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    If BBC Four do show 1978 and then eventually give up on the repeats, I would be happy if they stopped at 1988.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see somebody has now started a Top Of The Pops 78 thread on the broadcasting forum! A bit behind us all here I think.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    December 1980 was a topic last night, and the Kate Bush single 'December Will be Magic Again' has to be one of my Top 5 favourite Xmas songs.

It never appeared on an album, and the track that does appear on Christmas compilations is often not the original 7" version, which is well worth a listen.
    Forum Member
    December 1980 was a topic last night, and the Kate Bush single 'December Will be Magic Again' has to be one of my Top 5 favourite Xmas songs.

It never appeared on an album, and the track that does appear on Christmas compilations is often not the original 7" version, which is well worth a listen.

It's one of my fave Kate Bush singles and a fabulous Christmas song. I bought it in the ex-chart box in January 1981. It's one of those Christmas singles that surprisingly under achieved in the chart. Others include Elton's "Step Into Christmas" from '73 and Queen's "Thank God It's Christmas" from '84.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Keicar, the Kate record is not technically a Christmas record is it? Just because it mentions December. I'm sure the same applies to a fabulous Elton John track called Cold As Christmas which never appears on festive compilations and although has the word Christmas in the title, and was a hit in December 1983, I've never thought of it as essentially a festive record at all. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it only got to number 29. The B side "Warm and Soothing" is one of my fave Kate songs. I prefer the big, lush production to the pared down "bongo" version, but they're both great.

...Come to sparkle the dark up!!...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of my fave Kate Bush singles and a fabulous Christmas song. I bought it in the ex-chart box in January 1981. It's one of those Christmas singles that surprisingly under achieved in the chart. Others include Elton's "Step Into Christmas" from '73 and Queen's "Thank God It's Christmas" from '84.

Hi Highlander Ian!

Interesting points here. 1973 was a great year for Elton, and for festive hits, but ironically his own one fell short surprisingly. Likewise 1984 was a great year for Queen and a great year for festive hits, yet their own one also fell well short, again very surprisingly.
    Forum Member
    After seeing The Rods performing the great "Do Anything You Wanna Do" last night, I had a wee look at it's chart run. It was one of those great 'yo-yo' runs that were often seen in the 70's charts.

-39-29-19-24-11-20-9-15-18-36-

Safe to say we should get a couple more performances in the coming weeks! :)
    Forum Member
    Hi Highlander Ian!

Interesting points here. 1973 was a great year for Elton, and for festive hits, but ironically his own one fell short surprisingly. Likewise 1984 was a great year for Queen and a great year for festive hits, yet their own one also fell well short, again very surprisingly.

Hi Rich,
    Yep, the fact that they had amazing success in their respective years makes it a bit of a mystery.

Elton actually had the Christmas No.1 album of '73 with the wonderful "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". So it's amazing that a brand new Christmas track would fail to make the Top 20! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Rich,
    Yep, the fact that they had amazing success in their respective years makes it a bit of a mystery.

Elton actually had the Christmas No.1 album of '73 with the wonderful "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". So it's amazing that a brand new Christmas track would fail to make the Top 20! :(

Slade, associated with Christmas, but......

I've just heard one of their old hits for the first time ever in my life and played it 5 consecutive times in the past hour. I heard it when listening to a Top 20 I'd downloaded from Azanorak from Sunday,9th March,1975. It was the track that broke their long run of top ten hits, and I cannot believe how good it is and how it made a lowly No15.
    I'm talking about How Does It Feel. I'm loving this track. How I've never heard it is a mystery.

Back to 1977! ;)
    Forum Member
    Slade, associated with Christmas, but......

I've just heard one of their old hits for the first time ever in my life and played it 5 consecutive times in the past hour. I heard it when listening to a Top 20 I'd downloaded from Azanorak from Sunday,9th March,1975. It was the track that broke their long run of top ten hits, and I cannot believe how good it is and how it made a lowly No15.
    I'm talking about How Does It Feel. I'm loving this track. How I've never heard it is a mystery.

Back to 1977! ;)

One of Slade's best tracks for me. I discovered it a few years back. Noddy can pull off a ballad when he needs to.
    If it had been just 2 years later we could be seeing it on TOTP's 77! :p
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    Just got round to watching last night's ep. Some good memories
    The clip of Fleetwood Mac was excellent. I didn't see Christine McVie on it. Is that just the way it was filmed or was she away for a while. Or maybe I just missed her