Options

TV sound via the speaker AND via headphones (?)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read all the posts on this thread but we have the same problem (more or less) as the OP. My husband has been given (via the charity) a RadioLight TV Listening device which sends a radio signal to the headphones supplied with the device. This means I can have the volume at a comfortable place for me while he can turn up the volume to his requirements. We are delighted with the outcome BUT and this is a big but, we cannot get the audio from either the DVD player or our BT Vision box. He just gets the audio for the programme the TV is tuned to.

Has anyone any solution for this problem? I often record to the Vision box and then have to turn it up to an uncomfortable place for me. One thing I thought might work is a scart switch box so that I can change from one piece of equipment to another without much difficulty.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I haven't read all the posts on this thread but we have the same problem (more or less) as the OP. He has been given (via the charity) a RadioLight TV Listening device which sends a radio signal to the headphones supplied with the device. This means I can have the volume at a comfortable place for me while he can turn up the volume to his requirements. We are delighted with the outcome BUT and this is a big but, we cannot get the audio from either the DVD player or our BT Vision box. He just gets the audio for the programme the TV is tuned to.

Has anyone any solution for this problem? I often record to the Vision box and then have to turn it up to an uncomfortable place for me. One thing I thought might work is a scart switch box so that I can change from one piece of equipment to another without much difficulty.
    How is this box connected to the TV? From your description of the problem it sounds like you have it connected to a SCART socket on the back of the telly that is wired for output.

It is not uncommon for such sockets to be wired only to the built in tuner of the TV. Sometimes they have a menu option to select what the SCART socket outputs. Without knowing what make and model of telly you have can't say if that is possible in your case.

What other sockets are available on the TV? It is possible there is an alternative output available that would feed sound from what ever you are watching on the TV.

Make and model of TV would help us provide more specific advice though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV Listener box is connected to our Samsung Smart TV via a scart and the red and white audio leads. It is a 40" series 5 TV - not sure of the model though. It only has one scart socket which says Ext RGB next to it. The Vision box and DVD player are connected with HDMI cables.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV Listener box is connected to our Samsung Smart TV via a scart and the red and white audio leads. It is a 40" series 5 TV - not sure of the model though. It only has one scart socket which says Ext RGB next to it. The Vision box and DVD player are connected with HDMI cables.
    Hmmm. Samsung website doesn't list any 40in Series 5 TVs, or maybe you have an older model.

Anyway chances are that on the back is a Digital Audio Out, probably optical. In which case a simple Digital to Analogue converter box such as these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CYP-AU-D3-Digital-Stereo-Converter/dp/B0026208EI/
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digital-Analogue-Stereo-Converter/dp/B002AKXG5E/

would do the trick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot remember the size but the instruction book says Series 5! Maybe it is 42"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot remember the size but the instruction book says Series 5! Maybe it is 42"
    In that case if it is a reasonably new telly it will have a digital audio output on the back. So that can be used with a suitable adapter to drive the RadioLight device.

The digital out should carry audio from whatever you are watching on the TV unlike the SCART output.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I will have a look. The instruction book is very vague!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The TV does have a digital audio output. I have also looked in the RadioLight handbook and their diagram is clearer.

I have joined the Action on Hearing Loss forum and have had good responses from the forum members, one of whom appears to have more or less the same set up as us, but with a different TV listener.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now found out that I (and the OP) would probably need a digital optical to analogue audio converter and cable. Cost about £15 to £30. This is plugged into the optical audio out socket via the cable and the red/white cables are plugged into that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now found out that I (and the OP) would probably need a digital optical to analogue audio converter and cable. Cost about £15 to £30. This is plugged into the optical audio out socket via the cable and the red/white cables are plugged into that.
    Like the ones I linked to in post 30 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was your link which helped me, after which I checked with the Action on Hearing Loss forum and they said the same.

Sorry, I should have thanked you earlier - thank you! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered a converter from Amazon together with a suitable optical cable. It has just come and I have fitted it already and checked that all the equipment works. I muted the TV and could hear with the headphones on all devices - DVD player, BT Vision box and on Netflix. I am so delighted that it works and that was so easy to do.

Thanks everyone for the various advice and comments. One happy (or even two) customers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a large screen LG 3d TV and tried everything, including a sound bar. Nothing overcame the basic design flaw incorporated into most modern TVs, that shuts ioff the speakers when the headphones are in use.

Eventually I gave the lot to my daughter and bought a Toshiba, which is absolutely fine. I think Panasonic also does the job well with some models.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Bestbear wrote: »
    I bought a large screen LG 3d TV and tried everything, including a sound bar. Nothing overcame the basic design flaw incorporated into most modern TVs, that shuts ioff the speakers when the headphones are in use.

Then buy a decent make :D

Sony sets allow you to use the headphone socket in a number of different ways, set by menu options (muting/non-muting, variable/non-variable).

However, as it's clearly labelled 'headphone socket' it's hardly a 'design flaw' if it performs it's design purpose perfectly.