Does anyone do a recovery

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have done it a few times over the years, but should I be doing it.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    I have done it a few times over the years, but should I be doing it.

No sorry, you are going to have to try that again.
    Do you mean backup?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    System restore? possibly but it depends why you need to do it
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very wise to regularly backup your data files (documents, spreadsheets, databases, pictures, music, email messages, email addresses, browser bookmarks/favourites, etc). How often depends on usage but once a week seems right for most people. You can create the backups on various devices such as a physically separate hard disc (not just another partition on the same disc), to writable CD's or DVD's, to USB memory keys, or to a server ("in the cloud") as you wish and using at least two of those choices is a good idea.

You can copy data files and folders manually, or you can use one of many available programs. There are also some backup options provided in Windows.

Many people also advocate making regular image copies of your entire system disc, so you can restore it rapidly should the Windows or other program files become corrupted.

Obviously you should only perform a restoration from a backup if a problem develops.

There's also System Restore in Control Panel which can help fix some problems.
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean a recovery where you take your pc back to factory settings.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    I mean a recovery where you take your pc back to factory settings.
    That would only be an appropriate action if a serious problem developed which couldn't be fixed by any other means.

It would delete all your data files, all programs that you've installed, and all the Windows upgrades.

It's a measure of last resort.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    That would only be an appropriate action if a serious problem developed which couldn't be fixed by any other means.

It would delete all your data files, all programs that you've installed, and all the Windows upgrades.

It's a measure of last resort.
    We agree to disagree. IMHO a factory restore is a great way to tidy up your PC with minimum effort. Backup all your data, do a factory restore, and only reinstall the programs and data you need.