Great British Bake Off, 2016

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,544
    Forum Member
    catkins198 wrote: »
    I thought for several weeks that Candice would win although I did not want her to.

She was the best in the final although both Paul and Mary pointed out the other two had undercooked pastry and underplayed her obviously burnt pastry. Also her cheese scones did not taste of cheese.

I disliked her because she tried to act so modest and surprised everytime she did well but never succeeded. Last week when Andrew got star baker it was obvious from her face she thought she was going to get it.

The over acting when she won last night was laughable, even my husband who doesn't really watch it, laughed. He said she deserved an Oscar.

I agree. For me she has tried to be another Naydia tho Naydia's tears were for real. Candice was squeezing hers out.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting comments from Jane on BBC Breakfast this morning, she was saying that there is a lot that they see in the studio that does not get into the programme so she and Andrew could see clearly in the final that Candice would win.

Some of the tabloids are muckraking this morning even though the two seem to be friends and Jane was still talking this morning of them doing a roadtrip together, perhaps with a film crew.

"Bitchiest Great British Bake Off moment ever? Watch 'furious' Candice Brown shoot daggers at Jane Beedle"
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad decision of mine to watch this before work this morning, I was a wreck! :blush:

I have loved this series, granted it hasn't been a consistently high standard each week as previous series but I loved the mix of contestants.

I was glad Andrew pulled it back in the technical, I really wanted him to win but I knew after the judging of the showstopper he wouldn't win.

I didn't really mind who won in the end, weirdly enough, and when Candice's name was read out, I got quite emotional. Not because I am a fan of hers but because I love the programme and it's the last one in its former glory. :blush:

I follow Selasi, Benjamina and Andrew on twitter, they are all absolutely lovely & all so supportive of each other and so happy for Candice. All the finalists watched the final round at Selasi's in his cinema room last night. Great video clip of them all on his twitter account. :)

I am going off to sulk now that it's all over.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Interesting comments from Jane on BBC Breakfast this morning, she was saying that there is a lot that they see in the studio that does not get into the programme so she and Andrew could see clearly in the final that Candice would win.

Some of the tabloids are muckraking this morning even though the two seem to be friends and Jane was still talking this morning of them doing a roadtrip together, perhaps with a film crew.

"Bitchiest Great British Bake Off moment ever? Watch 'furious' Candice Brown shoot daggers at Jane Beedle"

Didn't see the interview to be fair but Jane's comments could be taken two ways.

a) That Candice was clearly so much better but the editing made it look more equal for dramatic effect

or

b) Candice was the production team and/or the judges favourite for reasons other than cooking and Jane and Andrew were never going to get a look in.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is nothing more than muck-raking, as you say. The DM have an article about how Candice was 'fuming' over Jane's double-handshake from Paul, which she quite clearly wasn't. Blimey, if she was 'fuming' by the Mail's standards, they must have thought Andrew was apoplectic at not getting one at all, but oddly, no mention of that.

I can only assume it taps into that 'cat fighting' fetish of seeing two women at each others throats.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was slightly surprised that more wasn't made of Candice's tarts. To me, that pastry wasn't simply "a bit dark" - it was plain burnt.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    I was slightly surprised that more wasn't made of Candice's tarts. To me, that pastry wasn't simply "a bit dark" - it was plain burnt.
    When she took it out of the oven she said they had all "caught" and you could see the burnt tips which she obviously sliced off. I wasn't concentrating, but did she perhaps put brown sugar in the pastry to make it darker than normal? It was sweet pastry. Have to check on iPlayer to see if there's a clue there.

Just seen on the red button news that nearly 15 million tuned in at its peak last night.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catkins198 wrote: »
    Also her cheese scones did not taste of cheese.
    IIrc, none of the finalists managed to make their scones taste of cheese. She was the only finalist who managed to deliver sausage rolls that were cooked through - the piggy decoration was just the bonus. It was probably close but Candace was a good and worthy winner.

The showstopper picnic wasn't as spectacular or memorable for the viewer as one major extravagant cake (for eg) but I think it was a much fairer test for the finalists as it ticked a number of processes and techniques - not least time management. And they all ended up with lots of things I really wanted to eat. :D

I'm sorry it's ended but perhaps best to go out while it is still at the top of its game. I will watch it on C4 but I don't expect it to be Bake Off and I don't expect to be as determined to catch every episode as I have been since BBC series 1. I am not anti-C4 and watch a lot of their programming but eventually I am (unfortunately) totally confident that C4 will turn it into a parody because that's what they do with all their reality shows eventually.

RIP Bake Off.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    The showstopper picnic wasn't as spectacular or memorable for the viewer as one major extravagant cake (for eg) but I think it was a much fairer test for the finalists as it ticked a number of processes and techniques - not least time management.

On the other hand, I think a better way of testing that is in the technical, where in theory there's a completely level playing field because they have no advance notice.

They did it 2 years ago when they had to make 12 scones, 12 mini Victoria sponges and 12 mini lemon tarts.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    Didn't see the interview to be fair but Jane's comments could be taken two ways.
    If you'd seen / heard the interview, you'd know that Jane's comments couldn't be taken in two ways at all - she indicated that as they were actually in the tent for the final 48 hours, they could see that Candace was surpassing their efforts.

It will be made to look a much closer competition in the edit for the tv show because the production team will want to keep the who will it be ??? tension till the end. But she indicated that to her and Andrew, the winner was obvious...
    On the other hand, I think a better way of testing that is in the technical...
    The technical is a much shorter test, though so wouldn't lend itself to the variety of items in the same way. The showstopper is 5 hours for a reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry it's ended but perhaps best to go out while it is still at the top of its game. I will watch it on C4 but I don't expect it to be Bake Off and I don't expect to be as determined to catch every episode as I have been since BBC series 1. I am not anti-C4 and watch a lot of their programming but eventually I am (unfortunately) totally confident that C4 will turn it into a parody because that's what they do with all their reality shows eventually.

RIP Bake Off.
    Bear in mind that C4 only have it for three years, which isn't that long really for a show like this. People that have loved it on the BBC aren't going to 'move on' to the next big thing and forget all about it. If, when contract negotiations come around again, it's brand value has dropped, the BBC may be in with a shout of buying it back. OTOH, if C4 don't tinker with the format in any way and people can warm to the new presenters and judges, you may find it's just as good as it ever was.

It's not necessarily dead and buried just yet. :)
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I'm always amazed at some of the results...... someone that the producers/ judges don't want to do well seems to do very well in the technical bake where the judges don't know who has cooked what - but when the judges know who has made the others things, their own personal preferences come into play.

I think they should judge ALL of the rounds blind - I'm pretty sure there would be some interesting results if the judges had to treat all of them equally!

How could Jane say that it was clear Candice was running away with the final...... there obviously wasn't much to choose between the meringue crowns - both she and Candice got handshakes (in fact Jane's was a double), and Jane won the technical by a mile!

As has been said above, she and Andrews mistakes on the picnic were pointed out - but Candices burnt pastry was ignored.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    How could Jane say that it was clear Candice was running away with the final...... there obviously wasn't much to choose between the meringue crowns - both she and Candice got handshakes (in fact Jane's was a double), and Jane won the technical by a mile!
    Um...no she didn't, she came last. Andrew won it. Even if you mean, in your opinion, she won it by a mile, I'd still struggle to see that. Second, possibly, but no way was it better than Andrew's.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    In your opinion.

Obviously. Must we all tack 'in my opinion' on to everything?

I think the "Your jus jellus" angle is just lazy thought. It never really holds up to scrutiny. Candice is pleasant enough looking and makes an effort but her appearance wouldn't be envy-inducing to many. Nadiya was also a presentable young woman and she was incredibly popular. Some people are simply more likeable than others. And if you agreed to appear on TV, you have to be prepared for that.

Surely, as someone who disliked Ruby, you'd understand that disliking someone good-looking is often just coincidental? You disliked some of Ruby's mannerisms, others disliked some of Candice's. Surely, disliking a contestant yourself would make you more understanding towards people not warming to a contestant?
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I agree. For me she has tried to be another Naydia tho Naydia's tears were for real. Candice was squeezing hers out.

And trying, and failing, to come up as eloquent a winning speech!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »

a) That Candice was clearly so much better but the editing made it look more equal for dramatic effect

or

b) Candice was the production team and/or the judges favourite for reasons other than cooking and Jane and Andrew were never going to get a look in.

I think it was the level of detail in her work, particularly the Showstopper. And of course they have the advantage over of us that they would have tasted it. They would not have seen the edited version until last night so would not have been influenced by the way she was supposedly favoured by the production team, I suspect that was done retrospectively because they would know who had won when the whole series was edited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She did acknowledge there had been a problem at the time and the other two each had problems with several items. Perhaps better to have a bit slightly burnt than uncooked pastry?
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay Candice, a worthy winner. It was a close run thing going into the showstopper but Andrew and Jane had mishaps that allowed Candice through to take the trophy, I thought she might have blown it when her pastry caught but it was the lesser of the mistakes. Overall I think she deserved it as she always did more than she needed to, took risks, and challenged herself more. I could never understand all the negativity on here towards her, I think they have been a likeable bunch this year. So sad that's the end of the GBBO as we know it. I expect Channel 4 to make a mess of it and end up having bought a dud.
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I'm delighted Candice won. I find it odd that people are saying she looked smug: to me she always looked rather insecure, twitchy and anxious to please (not unreasonable in a popular, nationally televised baking competition).

Equally her response to winning seemed genuine too. How strange to declare that she 'deserves an Oscar' because of her acting: why on earth would she even bother to put on such a hugely emotional act when it is of no benefit to her at all? Somebody in control of their emotions would have been more likely to say how delighted they were and then spend a few minutes praising up the other finalists and the show generally to come across as nice and improve their chances of getting a Nadiya-style show. (And NO, I'm not suggesting that's what Nadiya did - I think she was a charming and deserving winner, too.)

From the start, I've thought Candice came across as a real insecure trier, who never took the easy option. Her reaction at the final has done nothing to change my view and I'm absolutely delighted for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIrc, none of the finalists managed to make their scones taste of cheese. She was the only finalist who managed to deliver sausage rolls that were cooked through - the piggy decoration was just the bonus. It was probably close but Candace was a good and worthy winner.

The showstopper picnic wasn't as spectacular or memorable for the viewer as one major extravagant cake (for eg) but I think it was a much fairer test for the finalists as it ticked a number of processes and techniques - not least time management. And they all ended up with lots of things I really wanted to eat. :D

RIP Bake Off.

The big extravagant cakes in the final seem to end up more of an engineering or constructional challenge (and often fail!). Several smaller items was more of a test of baking and planning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you'd seen / heard the interview, you'd know that Jane's comments couldn't be taken in two ways at all - she indicated that as they were actually in the tent for the final 48 hours, they could see that Candace was surpassing their efforts.

It will be made to look a much closer competition in the edit for the tv show because the production team will want to keep the who will it be ??? tension till the end. But she indicated that to her and Andrew, the winner was obvious...

The technical is a much shorter test, though so wouldn't lend itself to the variety of items in the same way. The showstopper is 5 hours for a reason.

I think Andrew and Jane turned to each other and said, or mouthed, that Candice had won as soon as they finished the Showstopper (or might have been after the tasting by Mary and Paul). They were actually there and knew straight away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I'm always amazed at some of the results...... someone that the producers/ judges don't want to do well seems to do very well in the technical bake where the judges don't know who has cooked what - but when the judges know who has made the others things, their own personal preferences come into play.

I think they should judge ALL of the rounds blind - I'm pretty sure there would be some interesting results if the judges had to treat all of them equally!

As has been said above, she and Andrews mistakes on the picnic were pointed out - but Candices burnt pastry was ignored.....

I suspect that after the few first few weeks, Mary and Paul can tell which baker did each one just by looking at them. They will have got used to their styles. They would certainly have known which was done by Candice last night from a quick look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm delighted Candice won. I find it odd that people are saying she looked smug: to me she always looked rather insecure, twitchy and anxious to please (not unreasonable in a popular, nationally televised baking competition).

Equally her response to winning seemed genuine too. How strange to declare that she 'deserves an Oscar' because of her acting: why on earth would she even bother to put on such a hugely emotional act when it is of no benefit to her at all? Somebody in control of their emotions would have been more likely to say how delighted they were and then spend a few minutes praising up the other finalists and the show generally to come across as nice and improve their chances of getting a Nadiya-style show. (And NO, I'm not suggesting that's what Nadiya did - I think she was a charming and deserving winner, too.)

From the start, I've though Candice came across as a real insecure trier, who never took the easy option. Her reaction at the final has done nothing to change my view and I'm absolutely delighted for her.

A clip of an interview with Chris Evans was played on the news, she admits to being very insecure. Some people often misinterpret it when someone is insecure and very self-critical. The same happened with Ruby where every reaction from her was used against her by some people.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A clip of an interview with Chris Evans was played on the news, she admits to being very insecure. Some people often misinterpret it when someone is insecure and very self-critical. The same happened with Ruby where every reaction from her was used against her by some people.

I'm not saying she isn't insecure but even a secure person will say they're insecure to appear modest.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So out of curiosity, why is it fine then to dislike Candice ? And why would viewers be jealous of someone they don't even know personally ? Signs of immaturity and insecurity in those viewers is all I can think. All three were lovely Bake Off finalists, and Candice was a worthy winner. All that seemed to be wrong with her showstopper was the lack of cheese flavour in her scones. Well done to her and all of them.

One can often dislike somebody for no rational reason. I don't think it's immature or insecure, it just happens.