why is MDNA hated so much?

2»

Comments

• EatitLosersEatitLosers Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Yes, the first single especially was a bad choice. She should have picked "I'm Addicted" as the lead single.

"Falling Free" should have been released at some point too...and so should "Masterpiece". They might not reflect the overall sound of the album but they could have re-sparked interest for those who originally dismissed "GGW" and "Luvin' into buying it. Who knows.
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I seem to remember at the time that GMAYL was made for the superbowl performance.

Really? :eek::eek:

Well actually I can kind of see how it might have been... the introduction with the cheerleading definitely makes it sounds that way... I guess this explains why it is such a monstrosity.

Still think that Turn Up The Radio should have been performed and released instead.
    Oh I don't know, I quite liked Girl Gone Wild :o Guilty pleasure!

Agreed!

It could have been huge given the right promotion. It might have needed a remix to make it more radio friendly though.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad single choices, bad promotion and messed up releases made this album a failure. I never thought i would see the day when a Madonna album would struggle to sell 100,000 in the UK. I know the album managed it in the end and a bit more but it was a totally wasted album.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hated' by who exactly? People/media can say what they like but I loved MDNA. The only 'lowlight' IM very HO was 'Superstar'... just seemed to kind of slow everything down; but what was wrapped around it was sonically majestic and I still love to play the album as loud as I can nearly a year down the line. Plus the style was great too... the three sadly underrated videos are the strongest triumvarate she's done in a long time (maybe even back to ROL - again in my VHO), plus Madge looks a lot more, ahem, 'natural' in them than she did in the last couple of album eras. I really don't think there was much to diss about MDNA at all, but I do worry about 'self-fulfilling prophecy' when it comes to so much negative focus being placed on it as a supposed artistic 'failure' (I'm leaving commercial debate entirely out of this, purposely). Come on, let's face neither it nor Hard Candy, for that matter, despite its equally ubiquitious detractors, is as much of a chore to revisit musically as Bedtime Stories... *ducks*

People seem very quick to set benchmarks for Madonna especially, funnily enough, as she gets older :rolleyes: It's kind of self-defeating to me when in a 30-year studio career (Immaculate Collection, qv the 'ABBA Gold' phenomenon, aside), it's really only Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light and, at a push, Confessions that has garnered more or less universal critical and commercial adulation; so by the law of averages not every album she releases should reasonably be expected to be an instant all-time classic 'masterpiece' anyway! :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless....it has inspired Madonna to focus and regroup for album 13 :)

and i do agree MDNA boasts a lot of stronger elements but ultimately it is the zero traditional promo strategy that leant it to slow down sales to a standstill.

Regardless of this i do love playing the album :) But personally i cannot wait to see and hear where she stems it musically next :)
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i do agree MDNA boasts a lot of stronger elements but ultimately it is the zero traditional promo strategy that leant it to slow down sales to a standstill.

Hmm see Josh, this is where I think the true radicalism comes in... the likes of Madonna shouldn't be driven by sales, she should just give us whatever music she wants to make!! I'd rather Madonna was like Cyndi Lauper, with her sales of what for Bring Ya To The Brink - about 10 (including you and me lol :p) - nevertheless being able to be satisfied with what she created artistically - than kow-towing to moaners going 'oh she needs to do this, she needs to that, she needs to do another ROL' ad naseum!!

Bottom line (literally) is that if you don't like it don't buy it, if you do then do. Her Madge is after all hardly going to worry about the profit margin at this stage :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm see Josh, this is where I think the true radicalism comes in... the likes of Madonna shouldn't be driven by sales, she should just give us whatever music she wants to make!! I'd rather Madonna was like Cyndi Lauper, with her sales of what for Bring Ya To The Brink - about 10 (including you and me lol :p) - nevertheless being able to be satisfied with what she created artistically - than kow-towing to moaners going 'oh she needs to do this, she needs to that, she needs to do another ROL' ad naseum!!

Bottom line (literally) is that if you don't like it don't buy it, if you do then do. Her Madge is after all hardly going to worry about the profit margin at this stage :cool:

No that is definitely true...I mean Madonna created music and art for the sake of it regardless of opinion...that is why she has done what she has done and achieved what she has achieved...and i do see what you mean i mean in his later years (basically post lets Dance) Bowie sales were on a standstill....grace jones and cyndi lauper have never had the sales Madonna ahs had but that doesnt interfere with the art....they have sublime albums...and Madonna has sublime albums in greater mass....what i do personally get fed up with is the reliance on the sake of sales...the consistent labelling of "flop" here and underperformance there and "oh man i am worried for her career" i mean WTF? why be worried when you are a fan of the most famous woman in music and pop culture alive today? :cool:

Its more a question of can Madonna twist Interscope around again? like she did many a time with Warner....i mean you can sense their force on Madonna a lot with the way MDNA was handeled...so we will see but it sounds like next time Madonna will do whatever she wants to and make genuinely brilliant music like always and market it all just so.

:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I love the album. I think if only they had done a video for masterpiece (something simple a la live to tell) and used it as a main first single things would be so different today. But I remember reviews were good so i also think its perceived as hated due to how quickly it dropped down the charts
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,216
    Forum Member
    She's not hated as much as One Direction or Justin Bieber however.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and i do see what you mean i mean in his later years (basically post lets Dance) Bowie sales were on a standstill....

:cool:

Tonight is Bowies second biggest seller.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gang Bang (Video directed in the style of Quentin Tarantino)

I'm Addicted

Love Spent / Beautiful Killer (Double A-Side)

Masterpiece (Charity single)
  • EatitLosersEatitLosers Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Quentin should have been slapped for not taking up Madonna's offer of a "Gang Bang". ;)
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love spent should have been a single gimme all your lovin the remix should have been released instead of the original.
    I can't believe how little promo she did when she released confessions she did children in need & parkinson.
    And lots of shows in the U.S I think her management probably thought the superbowl would be enough.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all 'mixed' horribly too.

Even listening from a lossless CD version it sounds muffled and awful, and no it's not a problem with my sound. Other albums sound great.