Australian Survivor discussion - begins August 21.

13»

Comments

• starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the end to that episode was pretty damn hilarious, made up for some of the weak points (though obviously not all).

Nice to see the 'Fallen Heroes' part and without the reunion part it was needed anyway, I just wish we'd had last words from all.

Then the families introduced, skipped over this near the beginning and when they were wheeled out again at the end.

Cheapo final challenge, the setting was good sure, but for the last two challenges the US one often puts more effort in, with a great set. Neither of the last two had great sets. The idea of having a hand on an idol was good I guess and it had drama obviously, with them all close together. Kristie did sound rather pathetic to be honest, would have preferred the begging to have ended quicker.

On the single vote, it was no surprise of course but it also seemed given away by the camera at the urn. I saw Kristie do a single straight line and then two horizontal. Bad editing truly, keep the reveal to the announcement.

Then Lee. Oh dear, what a disaster he was. First he says this was the first Australian Survivor, or maybe that's what the channel want people to think? But the tribal...well it looked like he was throwing it. Or did he think it was so easy he didn't even have to try? He said he had two points and he only made one, the usual thing about wanting to be honest/good. Then that hilariously got taken apart by Nick and someone else. The only answers he could give were that he was loyal to 'his alliance at the time' and then later that he failed in trying to be honest. He may as well have added that he failed at this tribal. Kristie was hilariously prepared for everything, except perhaps Matt at the end who said she was all over the place.

So a hilarious ending to a rather botched season. I'll take it, it's better than what seemed likely after the last few episodes.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    >:(:rolleyes:
  • V1Chris21V1Chris21 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series frustrated me almost constantly from the time Sanapu got to pick who joined their tribe. Everyone who wanted to make a move seemed to want to do it a week too late or at least that's how it was edited. It just seemed like stupid decision after stupid decision.

I really didn't want Kristie to win as she just floated her way through the game. Her 'move' of getting phoebe out was pretty much down to Kate and Conner anyway if I remember correctly but they obviously weren't there to clarify. Lee was a complete mess though at the final as others have mentioned. If we had seen that Kristie throughout the season, people might have actually got behind her but it looked like every episode, she just waited for someone to tell her what to do and didn't actually make any decisions.

Could have been an amazing season but I just felt infuriated after most episodes by the stupid moved these 'superfans' were making.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    V1Chris21 wrote: »
    Her 'move' of getting phoebe out was pretty much down to Kate and Conner anyway if I remember correctly but they obviously weren't there to clarify.

Kate informed her, she could have easily been left in the dark and voted out.

I look at it more as a cheeky funny performance at tribal that won over an ineffectual Lee. If she's taken seriously as a genuinely great player then it falls flat. Her final moralising comments were very American and a bit tedious.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Despite being extremely frustrated the last few episodes, neither Lee or Elle winning has saved this season for me. Just.
  • TheDCTheDC Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    Kate informed her, she could have easily been left in the dark and voted out.

I look at it more as a cheeky funny performance at tribal that won over an ineffectual Lee. If she's taken seriously as a genuinely great player then it falls flat. Her final moralising comments were very American and a bit tedious.

Intellectual? Is that a piss take?

I actually enjoyed the final. Saved it IMO.

How has the performed for the oz channel? Is it likley to ever come back?

I havent seen another south Africa survivor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piss take?

Yes it is coming back.
  • TheDCTheDC Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite.

The fallen hero's was great for the ones lee just grunted and said their names.

Why no studio section? Seeing them scrubbed up is always good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The instances where Lee just grunted were boring and pointless for most people I expect.
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDC wrote: »
    Intellectual? Is that a piss take?

Ineffectual, starry said.
    I actually enjoyed the final. Saved it IMO.

Me too. I loved the final challenge. It was well edited to feel like a marathon for the viewers as well as the contestants. I didn't like Kristie's begging, but I suppose I can't imagine what she was going through at that point. Mainly I enjoyed the episode because Lee didn't win.
    How has the performed for the oz channel? Is it likley to ever come back?

Ratings have been fair at best, but it's been renewed for next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee said he didn't listen to the begging, at that point he probably wasn't able to concentrate on her words anyway. She must have any remaining energy she had left into the plea.
  • CaligCalig Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    ]Kristie did sound rather pathetic to be honest, would have preferred the begging to have ended quicker.

It was a little cringeworthy but I didn't want a "power couple" to be in the final two so I was glad Kristie won the challenge.

Other than the begging I thought Kristie played a good game and I was very impressed how she convinced the jury to vote for her.

Overall I really enjoyed this season. A good mix of challenges, some great blindsides and no real bad contestants like that guy Colton from Survivor: Blood vs. Water.

I look forward to more.
  • bluegroperbluegroper Posts: 11,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    V1Chris21 wrote: »
    This series frustrated me almost constantly from the time Sanapu got to pick who joined their tribe. Everyone who wanted to make a move seemed to want to do it a week too late or at least that's how it was edited. It just seemed like stupid decision after stupid decision.

I really didn't want Kristie to win as she just floated her way through the game. Her 'move' of getting phoebe out was pretty much down to Kate and Conner anyway if I remember correctly but they obviously weren't there to clarify. Lee was a complete mess though at the final as others have mentioned. If we had seen that Kristie throughout the season, people might have actually got behind her but it looked like every episode, she just waited for someone to tell her what to do and didn't actually make any decisions.

Could have been an amazing season but I just felt infuriated after most episodes by the stupid moved these 'superfans' were making.

No Kristie wasn't a floater more an independent as she nearly always didn't go with the flow and voted the way she wanted. She did turn Conner and Kate from voting her out and Phoebe instead. Not that was a great task as Conner and Kate played with a complete lack of strategy in my opinion. Kristie didnt have the easy path and Lee was fortunate enough to get picked for the Sunapu super tribe and didn't have to do anything for most of this game. It was only after the merge when Lee had to start playing at all!

You have to hand it to Kristie nobody thought she can win and only by believing in herself she managed it! She was the classic underdog which Aussies will always support. Lee on the other hand preached mateship, loyalty, integrity and branded everyone but himself non deserving and became what Aussies most hate a hypocrite. She owned that final tribal council and is a deserving winner.

As it turns out this was an amazing series and path's the way for an even better series next year!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think we saw Kristie turning Kate, it was just Kate's decision that Phoebe was more dangerous.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very late to this party. Never watched US Survivor fully - heard too many fakery tricks etc used in it. US shows ramp things too dramatic/cringy anyway. I remember the UK Survivor and enjoyed it 15 years ago. I watch a fair bit of NZ and Aussie TV and seen a promo and caught up with the final episode this week.

Kristie BS'ed her way to that for sure! I loved Lee and El. I wanted one or other to win because it was obvious they'd go and live happily ever after outwith the show. El and Lee tried to be the good folks and only dabbled into 'gameplay' when they really had to.

On a side note does anyone know what the music is used on the walkouts/voting reasons bit at the end. I've got a lot of the soundtrack as it has been used on US Survivor etc but this particularly piece I can't find. >>AUDIO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kristie BS'ed her way to that for sure! I loved Lee and El. I wanted one or other to win because it was obvious they'd go and live happily ever after outwith the show. El and Lee tried to be the good folks and only dabbled into 'gameplay' when they really had to.
    [/URL]

I thought Lee and El had some BS though in saying they were the good guys, they had to play the game too. Though I had the feeling by the end that El was definitely the brains in that alliance, Lee's final tribal speech looked like El hadn't prepped him enough before she left, he just floundered.