Options

I know what the silence are!

WonderWorldWonderWorld Posts: 181
Forum Member
I think that the Silence is a pun. Now Moffat has been clever! He has been planning this since the beginning of series 4. It was most likely already discussed Davies and Tennant were going to quit and Moffat was going to take over. He was given the go-ahead when he wrote "Silence in the Library" and the "Forest of the Dead" for a seek peek at series 5. Moffat already had the Silence in mind when wrote "Silence in the Library" and River’s story. The Silence I think is like first 4 series with the word darkness popping up all the time. Moffat has used the word silence 4 different ways, stillness or quiet is 1), silence and words “will or must fall” after it 2), a religion 3), and a species 4). The first use we have seen was “(Silence) in the Library” the use was quiet. In the "The Vampires of Venice" Signora Calvierri says “they were fleeing from numerous cracks in time that threatened their planet, through some of which they heard only silence” and at the end of the episode Rory said all he could hear was silence. Again we see the word was used as stillness or quiet. Now these three examples were used for people disappearing. This was the result of the TARDIS exploding and the Vashta Nerada but I have a funny feeling we will see something similar later. Now in “The Eleventh Hour" Prisoner Zero says "the Pandorica will open... silence will fall." We see this is a reverence to Pandorica and the fall is what happened when the TARDIS exploded. Just before the TARDIS exploded we hear “Silence will fall.” Then we were introduced to creatures which call themselves Silence and are constantly saying “Silence will fall.” At the end of the ep. “Wedding of River Song” Dorium says "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered." Then the Doctor says "Silence will fall when the question is asked..." Dorium replies "Silence must fall" would be a better translation. The Silence are determined that the question must never be answered. The Doctor must never reach Trenzalore." The Real Question is what is going to fall? Now quiet cannot fall but a religion, a species or person, and Time & Space can. In "Let's Kill Hitler" we discover that there is a religious order that believes what Dorium said to the Doctor. Now I don’t think that the religion is what falls because we see the same logo that was on the flag in "A Good Man Goes to War" which was also in "The Time of Angels" and in "Flesh and Stone". So that leaves us with the creatures and their army, or a person, or Time & Space is what is going to fall. This we know for sure.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    I have a idea what could happen and this what makes the most since. Before we beat around the bush trying to figure what is going to fall we need to who we are dealing with. Who are the creatures that call themselves Silence? This is what we know they have built TARDISs and can control the Doctor’s. Second they don’t register as living life forms and can’t be remembered almost if they are there but aren’t. What if somehow the Time Lord did ascend but it didn’t go right and are still in flesh. The creatures can also draw electricity and kill people somewhat like the Master did when his revival went wrong. So they could be Time Lords. Next question where is the fields of Trenzelor? It can’t be on Gallifrey because it is Time Locked. So where is Trenzelor? Unknown, all we know is no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before I answer what is going to fall I have an idea what happened during the Time War.
    Start with Rassilon he helped discover time travel. Then later discovered immortality from ep. “The Five Doctors.” Now why is he locked up? What if Rassilon had intended to have the Time Lords ascend, but they rebelled and locked him up and wrote the history that Rassilon was a good man and died. Because in the ep. “The Five Doctors” they called it the tomb of Rassilon. Now the Doctor questioned if Rassilon was dead and if he was as good as the history books calm. The Doctor might have known the truth when he invented the sonic screwdriver and was able to explore the planet. The Time Lords probable confiscated the sonic screwdriver and created deadlock seals and continued to use the sonic screwdriver which sometimes got lost and other species on planets used them. Now I think that the Time War didn’t happen until later in the Time Lords Time line and the Doctor didn’t know until later. Some of the Dalek episodes are and aren’t part of the time war because the Doctor and Daleks don’t have a linear time line. Episodes I believe are during the Time War from the Dalek’s perspective are Start “Resurrection of the Daleks,” “Revelation of the Daleks,” “The Space Museum’” “The Chase,” "Mission to the Unknown," “The Daleks' Master Plan,” “The Evil of the Daleks,” “Day of the Daleks,” ” Remembrance of the Daleks.” Now I don’t think the Doctor is aware of the Time war until the “Resurrection of the Daleks,” but and when he is the Lord President during the 7th he decides to attack in the episode ” Remembrance of the Daleks.” Sometime later the Time Lords decide to have a past Doctor find weakness in the Daleks in the episode “Genesis of the Daleks.” The 8th Doctor is removed from his position as Lord President and Romana is Lord President later Rassilon escapes his prison when the Daleks invade Gallifrey and Rassilon kills Romana (like he killed a Time Lady who opposed his plan in the ep. “The End of Time part 2”) and becomes Lord President. After the ascend goes wrong the Time Lords don’t want the Doctor to go to fields of Trenzelor because when he says who he is the Time Lock is broken and this is when the Time Lords ascended. And since the ascend went wrong the Time Lords wish they could be the way they were before and the universe is at risk of be ripped apart with the Time Lock unlocked. The Silence/Time Lords are trying to prevent this from happing by killing the Doctor, but when this fails they decide to explode the TARDIS. Dalek Caan was able to enter the Time War during the same time. So the Universe is going to fall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How the question that should not be asked Doctor Who? at the end of "The Wedding of River Song" will be answered. River will ask and he will whisper it in her ear. He might even tell her that he is part Human. There is support for the Doctor being part Human. The Doctor is because of his love for the Human race. The Doctor Who Movie he says he is on his mother’s side. Plus the Master says that the Doctor's eyes are constructed like humans this is also from the movie. In "Human Nature" he says his father is a watch maker and his mother is a nurse, and the mysterious woman in the "The End of Time" off screen we were told she is his mother. My question is why is his mother a nurse? When the medical staff is not needed on Gallifrey and the Doctor is "lowly" title according to the Time Lords. And this has been hinted at the Doctor/Dona. Before 8th Doctor didn’t get to air the writers decided that they were going to expand on the Doctor’s mother being human and were going to have the Doctor look for his father because he is missing in action. The Doctor’s father probable was fighting in the Time War and meet the Doctor’s mother on Earth. I don’t think we are going to get a name I think we are going to get an origin. If the Time Lords knew this they would banish or exile him again because Humans are not allowed to be on Gallifrey. In the Time Lords perspective this would be the fall of the Doctor and to the rest of the Universe as well. This is the fall of the Eleventh. I think that the Silence and the question is leading up to the 50th anniversary!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah... This needs paragraphs...
  • Options
    Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah... This needs paragraphs...

I was thinking the same!! :D

Shameful admission though... I hadn't made the link between S.I.T.L and The Silence :o
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silence in the Library

Quiet in the Library

Is there a quiet library in the Tardis?:D
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    Silence in the Library

Quiet in the Library

Swimming pool in the library?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    Swimming pool in the library?
    a book in the swimming pool, in the library, on the tardis:D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a book in the swimming pool, in the library, on the tardis:D

A wet book in the swimming pool, in the library, on the tardis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think that the Silence is a pun. Now Moffat has been clever! He has been planning this since the beginning of series 4. It was most likely already discussed Davies and Tennant were going to quit and Moffat was going to take over. He was given the go-ahead when he wrote "Silence in the Library" and the "Forest of the Dead" for a seek peek at series 5. Moffat already had the Silence in mind when wrote "Silence in the Library" and River’s story. The Silence I think is like first 4 series with the word darkness popping up all the time. Moffat has used the word silence 4 different ways, stillness or quiet is 1), silence and words “will or must fall” after it 2), a religion 3), and a species 4). The first use we have seen was “(Silence) in the Library” the use was quiet. In the "The Vampires of Venice" Signora Calvierri says “they were fleeing from numerous cracks in time that threatened their planet, through some of which they heard only silence” and at the end of the episode Rory said all he could hear was silence. Again we see the word was used as stillness or quiet. Now these three examples were used for people disappearing. This was the result of the TARDIS exploding and the Vashta Nerada but I have a funny feeling we will see something similar later. Now in “The Eleventh Hour" Prisoner Zero says "the Pandorica will open... silence will fall." We see this is a reverence to Pandorica and the fall is what happened when the TARDIS exploded. Just before the TARDIS exploded we hear “Silence will fall.” Then we were introduced to creatures which call themselves Silence and are constantly saying “Silence will fall.” At the end of the ep. “Wedding of River Song” Dorium says "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered." Then the Doctor says "Silence will fall when the question is asked..." Dorium replies "Silence must fall" would be a better translation. The Silence are determined that the question must never be answered. The Doctor must never reach Trenzalore." The Real Question is what is going to fall? Now quiet cannot fall but a religion, a species or person, and Time & Space can. In "Let's Kill Hitler" we discover that there is a religious order that believes what Dorium said to the Doctor. Now I don’t think that the religion is what falls because we see the same logo that was on the flag in "A Good Man Goes to War" which was also in "The Time of Angels" and in "Flesh and Stone". So that leaves us with the creatures and their army, or a person, or Time & Space is what is going to fall. This we know for sure.

I have paragraphed this section now.

I think that the Silence is a pun. Now Moffat has been clever! He has been planning this since the beginning of series 4. It was most likely already discussed Davies and Tennant were going to quit and Moffat was going to take over. He was given the go-ahead when he wrote "Silence in the Library" and the "Forest of the Dead" for a seek peek at series 5. Moffat already had the Silence in mind when wrote "Silence in the Library" and River’s story. The Silence I think is like first 4 series with the word darkness popping up all the time. Moffat has used the word silence 4 different ways, stillness or quiet is 1), silence and words “will or must fall” after it 2), a religion 3), and a species 4).

The first use we have seen was “(Silence) in the Library” the use was quiet. In the "The Vampires of Venice" Signora Calvierri says “they were fleeing from numerous cracks in time that threatened their planet, through some of which they heard only silence” and at the end of the episode Rory said all he could hear was silence. Again we see the word was used as stillness or quiet. Now these three examples were used for people disappearing. This was the result of the TARDIS exploding and the Vashta Nerada but I have a funny feeling we will see something similar later.

Now in “The Eleventh Hour" Prisoner Zero says "the Pandorica will open... silence will fall." We see this is a reverence to Pandorica and the fall is what happened when the TARDIS exploded. Just before the TARDIS exploded we hear “Silence will fall.” Then we were introduced to creatures which call themselves Silence and are constantly saying “Silence will fall.” At the end of the ep. “Wedding of River Song” Dorium says "On the fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature may speak falsely or fail to give answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never, ever be answered." Then the Doctor says "Silence will fall when the question is asked..." Dorium replies "Silence must fall" would be a better translation. The Silence are determined that the question must never be answered. The Doctor must never reach Trenzalore." The Real Question is what is going to fall? Now quiet cannot fall but a religion, a species or person, and Time & Space can. In "Let's Kill Hitler" we discover that there is a religious order that believes what Dorium said to the Doctor. Now I don’t think that the religion is what falls because we see the same logo that was on the flag in "A Good Man Goes to War" which was also in "The Time of Angels" and in "Flesh and Stone". So that leaves us with the creatures and their army, or a person, or Time & Space is what is going to fall. This we know for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before I answer what is going to fall I have an idea what happened during the Time War.
    Start with Rassilon he helped discover time travel. Then later discovered immortality from ep. “The Five Doctors.” Now why is he locked up? What if Rassilon had intended to have the Time Lords ascend, but they rebelled and locked him up and wrote the history that Rassilon was a good man and died. Because in the ep. “The Five Doctors” they called it the tomb of Rassilon. Now the Doctor questioned if Rassilon was dead and if he was as good as the history books calm. The Doctor might have known the truth when he invented the sonic screwdriver and was able to explore the planet. The Time Lords probable confiscated the sonic screwdriver and created deadlock seals and continued to use the sonic screwdriver which sometimes got lost and other species on planets used them. Now I think that the Time War didn’t happen until later in the Time Lords Time line and the Doctor didn’t know until later. Some of the Dalek episodes are and aren’t part of the time war because the Doctor and Daleks don’t have a linear time line. Episodes I believe are during the Time War from the Dalek’s perspective are Start “Resurrection of the Daleks,” “Revelation of the Daleks,” “The Space Museum’” “The Chase,” "Mission to the Unknown," “The Daleks' Master Plan,” “The Evil of the Daleks,” “Day of the Daleks,” ” Remembrance of the Daleks.” Now I don’t think the Doctor is aware of the Time war until the “Resurrection of the Daleks,” but and when he is the Lord President during the 7th he decides to attack in the episode ” Remembrance of the Daleks.” Sometime later the Time Lords decide to have a past Doctor find weakness in the Daleks in the episode “Genesis of the Daleks.” The 8th Doctor is removed from his position as Lord President and Romana is Lord President later Rassilon escapes his prison when the Daleks invade Gallifrey and Rassilon kills Romana (like he killed a Time Lady who opposed his plan in the ep. “The End of Time part 2”) and becomes Lord President. After the ascend goes wrong the Time Lords don’t want the Doctor to go to fields of Trenzelor because when he says who he is the Time Lock is broken and this is when the Time Lords ascended. And since the ascend went wrong the Time Lords wish they could be the way they were before and the universe is at risk of be ripped apart with the Time Lock unlocked. The Silence/Time Lords are trying to prevent this from happing by killing the Doctor, but when this fails they decide to explode the TARDIS. Dalek Caan was able to enter the Time War during the same time. So the Universe is going to fall.

I have made this into paragraph as well.

Start with Rassilon he helped discover time travel. Then later discovered immortality from ep. “The Five Doctors.” Now why is he locked up? What if Rassilon had intended to have the Time Lords ascend, but they rebelled and locked him up and wrote the history that Rassilon was a good man and died. Because in the ep. “The Five Doctors” they called it the tomb of Rassilon. Now the Doctor questioned if Rassilon was dead and if he was as good as the history books calm. The Doctor might have known the truth when he invented the sonic screwdriver and was able to explore the planet. The Time Lords probable confiscated the sonic screwdriver and created deadlock seals and continued to use the sonic screwdriver which sometimes got lost and other species on planets used them.

Now I think that the Time War didn’t happen until later in the Time Lords Time line and the Doctor didn’t know until later. Some of the Dalek episodes are and aren’t part of the time war because the Doctor and Daleks don’t have a linear time line. Episodes I believe are during the Time War from the Dalek’s perspective are Start “Resurrection of the Daleks,” “Revelation of the Daleks,” “The Space Museum’” “The Chase,” "Mission to the Unknown," “The Daleks' Master Plan,” “The Evil of the Daleks,” “Day of the Daleks,” ”Remembrance of the Daleks.”

Now I don’t think the Doctor is aware of the Time war until the “Resurrection of the Daleks,” but and when he is the Lord President during the 7th he decides to attack in the episode ”Remembrance of the Daleks.” Sometime later the Time Lords decide to have a past Doctor find weakness in the Daleks in the episode “Genesis of the Daleks.”

The 8th Doctor is removed from his position as Lord President and Romana is Lord President later Rassilon escapes his prison when the Daleks invade Gallifrey and Rassilon kills Romana (like he killed a Time Lady who opposed his plan in the ep. “The End of Time part 2”) and becomes Lord President. After the ascend goes wrong the Time Lords don’t want the Doctor to go to fields of Trenzelor because when he says who he is the Time Lock is broken and this is when the Time Lords ascended. And since the ascend went wrong the Time Lords wish they could be the way they were before and the universe is at risk of be ripped apart with the Time Lock unlocked. The Silence/Time Lords are trying to prevent this from happing by killing the Doctor, but when this fails they decide to explode the TARDIS. Dalek Caan was able to enter the Time War during the same time.
    So the Universe is going to fall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A wet book in the swimming pool, in the library, on the tardis
    It must be the Tardis instruction manual in a safe place:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Silence in the Library

Quiet in the Library

Is there a quiet library in the Tardis?:D

Not Quiet in the Library. How Moffat used the word Silence. In this case it was stillness, quiet, calm, no one about. However Moffat was doing what RTD did with the Bad Wolf, Torchwood, Saxon, and Darkness. Instead Moffat is using Silence from way back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not Quiet in the Library. How Moffat used the word Silence. In this case it was stillness, quiet, calm, no one about. However Moffat was doing what RTD did with the Bad Wolf, Torchwood, Saxon, and Darkness. Instead Moffat is using Silence from way back then.
    Silence translated into other languages, for example chinese, can be symbols.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually hope the concept of the Silents building the TARDIS isn't touched upon. That way a new species can use it as the Silents are already known to hide inside other civilizations and steal there technology. Maybe the Silents TARDIS is someone elses as well as say the Astronaut suit? I personally like the idea of the Silents as a race that never do anything themselves and steal things and these ones are perhaps just a lot of them that have stolen the religion. Not sure though. I think Moffat has other plans! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. The Silents (or Silence) are a religious sect who believe that on the field of Trenzelor a question will be asked that must not be. The question is "Dr. Who?". This implies that the question is asked of the Doctor.

So what's the best way to stop this? To kill him before he's asked. We've done that in series 6. The cult of Silence believe that the answer to the question will destroy the universe. But the words "Field of Trenzelor"? Whenever I've heard of "the field of" it generally means a battle, hence the field of battle. This would imply Trenzelor is, as I believe, on Galifrey.

"Before the fall of the Eleventh" indicates that this will all happen to Matt's Doctor, before he falls and the 12th Doctor rises.

"Silence in the Library" used 'Silence' to infer death.

"Silence will fall when the question is asked" infers that the universe will die when the question is asked. Again this is what the cult of Silence believes.

This is what I believe.
    This (Matt's) Doctor returns to Galifrey, driven by his desire for redemption to end the time war, one way or another. There, on the field of battle at Trenzelor where only the truth can be told someone asks "Dr. Who?" The answer would destroy the Time Lords, everything they ever were and could be. So the TARDIS blows herself up, destroying the universe rather than have that question answered. Its up to the Doctor to save the day.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yes, Moffat has alluded to different meanings, and causes, of silence. But that's all been explicitly covered in the stories. The silence caused by the end of the universe is a different silence to the silence sought by the The Silence, who want the Doctor's silence to fall to prevent some unknown catastrophe. In one of their attempts in creating the second silence, they ended up destroying the universe, thereby bringing about the first silence. Ironic.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Information overload!!!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    "Silence will fall when the question is asked" infers that the universe will die when the question is asked. Again this is what the cult of Silence believes.
    Well, Dorium thinks that that's not the right translation - that the silence is the Doctor's rather than the universe's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some great ideas here, but if Moffat really has made things this complicated then there's going to be one hell of a long-winded episode explaining it all.

And if it really does involve Rassilon and the Time War, I can see people switching off...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joanne1938 wrote: »

This is what I believe.

This (Matt's) Doctor returns to Galifrey, driven by his desire for redemption to end the time war, one way or another. There, on the field of battle at Trenzelor where only the truth can be told someone asks "Dr. Who?" The answer would destroy the Time Lords, everything they ever were and could be. So the TARDIS blows herself up, destroying the universe rather than have that question answered. Its up to the Doctor to save the day.

I think Matt's Doctor is over the Time War though isn't he? I felt it was all in the past since End of Time (War!)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sohoguy wrote: »
    I think Matt's Doctor is over the Time War though isn't he? I felt it was all in the past since End of Time (War!)?

I keep seeing the image in my head from "The Doctor's Wife" of Amy saying "So you want ot be forgiven", the Doctor's pained reply being "Doesn't everybody?"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, Dorium thinks that that's not the right translation - that the silence is the Doctor's rather than the universe's.

I'm sorry I phrased it wrong. What I was saying was that the silence believe it would be the end of the universe if the Doctor answered that question, that's why they tried to kill him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sohoguy wrote: »
    Some great ideas here, but if Moffat really has made things this complicated then there's going to be one hell of a long-winded episode explaining it all.

And if it really does involve Rassilon and the Time War, I can see people switching off...

But it wouldn't be just the Rassilon. There would be the Master, the Daleks, possibly Idris pre-soul removal, the Star of Degredations etc, not to mention all the wierd and wonderful other things. There's plenty for a relentless 5 part thriller there, before we mention the possible return of Skaro, Davros and goodness knows what else!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still say the second shamed Time Lord had Matt Smith's hair :p