The 'Upstanding' Daily Mail vs A Horrific Death

124»

Comments

• ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes me laugh, all this vitriol and holier-than-thou comments aimed at the daily mail.
    It's the second most read paper in Great Britain, and its website the busiest news one in the World.
    SOMEBODY'S buying it !
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me laugh, all this vitriol and holier-than-thou comments aimed at the daily mail.
    It's the second most read paper in Great Britain, and its website the busiest news one in the World.
    SOMEBODY'S buying it !

But they shouldn't IMO.

And that's all that matters.;-):D
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that timely comedic input..!!

..I was just alert enough to spot the 'tongue in cheek' before replying

No tongue in cheek. The Mail is Britain's finest and influential newspaper.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    No tongue in cheek. The Mail is Britain's finest and influential newspaper.

Tongue must be somewhere else then.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tongue must be somewhere else then.

Up Richard Littlejohn's arse
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Up Richard Littlejohn's arse

:D:D:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You''ve come to a hell of a lot of assumptions on this thread, just speak for yourself, not anyone else.

The thread title makes a sarcastic reference to the Daily Mail. I therefore believe it is a perfectly reasonable and logical assumption that the OP is making a point about that publication.

If you don't that's your problem.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    The thread title makes a sarcastic reference to the Daily Mail. I therefore believe it is a perfectly reasonable and logical assumption that the OP is making a point about that publication.

If you don't that's your problem.

I have no problem regarding this thread.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Does it matter that it's linked from the Mail?

It's the hypocrisy that annoys me. It's the same with the Huffington Post, which condemned lads' mags while promoting them.

And then the Gawker network of websites that condemned the publication of the recent celebrity nudes and sex tapes when it has published similar images in the past, even defying a court order in one case.

I often get the feeling that they are fine with publishing all kinds of privacy invading and ghoulish or vile images (as the DM likes to say) so long as the subject isn't someone they like.

I don't particularly like advocates of banning sexual imagery or banning gruesome images, but if they are consistent, I respect them. Publications that dish out condemnation while publishing images in the same vain, I don't respect.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That video is awful. Poor guy. What are the chances of that happening to you.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    That video is awful. Poor guy. What are the chances of that happening to you.:(

I don't know - you would hope there is a failsafe device which instantly re-opens the door and stops the lift until the person is clear, on any normal lift.

But if there is a malfunction then clearly the safety back ups have crashed.

Absolutely horrifying thing to happen.

Compare and contrast with this unfortunate gentleman who got trapped in the doors of his own Stagecoach bus.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    It's a hard fact. You are in denial if you think any differently.

No it's not. A murder & an accident are not the same thing.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    Chinese lives are worth less than British lives, but that is the fault of the Chinese gocernment who have no interest in health and safety and who happily torture and execute their citizens
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how the Daily Mail showing this video is any different from how many news outlets have shared the video of James Foley and David Haines being beheaded - a video which quite a few posters in this forum said they have watched.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've removed the video finally.
    Forum Member
    They've removed the video finally.

So they have.

And after reading the comments there, I reckon they were shamed into removing it.

Good.
  • Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they have.

And after reading the comments there, I reckon they were shamed into removing it.

Good.

Agreed. And whilst I couldn't use social media to complain (avoid it like the plague..but that's a story for another time), I did contact them shortly after posting this thread by ancient email - and quoted this thread.

Ironically, soon as they took it down, 2 videos of it went up almost immediately on Youtube. Probably a 'coincidence.'..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    No it's not. A murder & an accident are not the same thing.

Yes it is - both die horrible deaths.

Do you find one preferable to the other ?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're not 100% identical as you put it. Yes, the person dies in both, but one is where the person was purposely killed and another is a tragic accident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOMEBODY'S buying it !
    Are you suggesting that people should not be allowed to criticise anything that is popular? Have you really never complained about anything popular - a film, a tv show, a music act - yourself?
    I don't see how the Daily Mail showing this video is any different from how many news outlets have shared the video of James Foley and David Haines being beheaded - a video which quite a few posters in this forum said they have watched.

Which news outlets showed the beheading video? I haven't watched it, but I thought the actual beheading was cut?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member

Well yes. If i had to die i'd rather my family & friends know i died in an tragic accident and wasn't brutally murdered.