New EPG on its way

1117118119120121123»

Comments

• Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    I think Sky should have rebranded it with a new name.
    It cannot just be called a Sky box or Sky STB because people would just be confused as people with Thompson, Samsung and Pace would just say their boxes were Sky boxes too.

Amstrad is used just to differentiate it with the other STBs. Keeping the name Amstrad does them no favours

If they had just merged the names they could have called it a Skamstrad....umm, maybe not.:)
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrie1957 wrote: »
    Been on holiday and set my HD box to record several programmes.
    SKY installed the new EPG when we where away.
    However when I have come to watch some of the recorded programmes from my planner, they have recorded with subtitles and audio description...... now you can turn the subtitles off when watching the recorded programme but not the bl***y audio description!!! :mad:

terrie1957 entered the thread angry and frustrated. The other DS users largely ignored the post.

(Just wanted to provide a thread audio description to make you feel at home :) ).

It is rather annoying isn't it. I accidentally turned it on the other day thanks to the hep button change, and the damn thing recorded a couple of shows with it on thanks to the option being persistent over channels changes.

Didn't realise the audio description was part of the recording, though the box had crashed because I couldn't turn it off again !

I'm sure we'll all get used to the help button change. That said, I never got used to the Firefox "open in new window", "open in new tab" change of right click positions. But at least I could change that back...
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to say after useing the new epg for a number of days now.. i dont like it ! no where easier than the old "one".which in view there was nothing wrong with it in the first.
    I have the feeling that it was introduced to the intoduction of sky"s new services they will be offering in the near future.
    Up dates are rare on sky these days (new channels) this is one we are better off doing without.
    Please sky listen to the customers first before doing anything like this again..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Batch wrote: »
    terrie1957 entered the thread angry and frustrated. The other DS users largely ignored the post.

(Just wanted to provide a thread audio description to make you feel at home :) ).

It is rather annoying isn't it. I accidentally turned it on the other day thanks to the hep button change, and the damn thing recorded a couple of shows with it on thanks to the option being persistent over channels changes.

Didn't realise the audio description was part of the recording, though the box had crashed because I couldn't turn it off again !

I'm sure we'll all get used to the help button change. That said, I never got used to the Firefox "open in new window", "open in new tab" change of right click positions. But at least I could change that back...[/QU

thank you :)
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to say after useing the new epg for a number of days now.. i dont like it ! no where easier than the old "one".which in view there was nothing wrong with it in the first.
    I have the feeling that it was introduced to the intoduction of sky"s new services they will be offering in the near future.
    Up dates are rare on sky these days (new channels) this is one we are better off doing without.
    Please sky listen to the customers first before doing anything like this again..

Yeah Sky, please listen to your customers, we don't want any new cool features like planner sharing, we'd rather just not have them :rolleyes:
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In what way?

Wish people would say what they mean, as to me, it works as well, if not better (i press the button, it goes into the EPG, what more do you want?), and maybe if you explained what you dont like, someone might be able to help (like quicklinks for example, someone didn't like the EPG, finally found out it was quicklinks they didn't like - then felt silly when advised they could be switched off, someone they would have found out early if they just explained what they didn't like).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member

Thankfully you appear to be in the minority with your comments.You would be better off posting your dis
    satisfaction on the Sky forums if you are that unhappy.
    Personally I find this EPG pretty good although there are some who have issues with it,but then when you have millions of customers it is impossible to please all of them.
    Ranting and posts with no real thought being being put into them do no one any good.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    Thankfully you appear to be in the minority with your comments.You would be better off posting your dis
    satisfaction on the Sky forums if you are that unhappy.
    Personally I find this EPG pretty good although there are some who have issues with it,but then when you have millions of customers it is impossible to please all of them.
    Ranting and posts with no real thought being being put into them do no one any good.

arbitrarily changing things for no real benefit minimizes this.

- MiniTV
    - Audio Description issues
    - Panning only moving only the times now, unless you do the odd behavior of pausing 1 second between presses

How miniTV 8 lines supports the introduction of BBC iPlayer later in the year is beyond me, as it will most likely be in the Anytime+ section along with what is already there - where what is there is displayed differently anyway where you get thumbnails of shows and then they are displayed - 4 lines of stuff. I'd imagine BBC iPlayer will need to have the iPlayer look'n'feel look as it does on PC/iPad/BT Vision anyway, so it will be a separate (Streaming only?) App. on the box.
    Forum Member
    NeilPost wrote: »
    arbitrarily changing things for no real benefit minimizes this.

- MiniTV
    - Audio Description issues
    - Panning only moving only the times now, unless you do the odd behavior of pausing 1 second between presses

How miniTV 8 lines supports the introduction of BBC iPlayer later in the year is beyond me, as it will most likely be in the Anytime+ section along with what is already there - where what is there is displayed differently anyway where you get thumbnails of shows and then they are displayed - 4 lines of stuff. I'd imagine BBC iPlayer will need to have the iPlayer look'n'feel look as it does on PC/iPad/BT Vision anyway, so it will be a separate (Streaming only?) App. on the box.

I accept the points you make,you do put some thought into your posts.
    One thing I can't understand is posters having a problem when panning the EPG.Yes I agree that when using it at speed it just shows the times but when you stop the programmes appear instantlyIf I am using it in that way it is because I am looking for programmes at a particular time.If I am checking programmes for say the evening then I use the slower version going from programme to programme.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I can't understand is posters having a problem when panning the EPG.Yes I agree that when using it at speed it just shows the times but when you stop the programmes appear instantlyIf I am using it in that way it is because I am looking for programmes at a particular time.If I am checking programmes for say the evening then I use the slower version going from programme to programme.

Indeed, if i am at home in the evening, and want to see whats on that night, i just keep pressing the button to scroll along and see whats on (because if you kept it pressed, you don't have time to read anything as it goes past).

Then, if i want to see whats on the next day, I either press +24 and go from there, or press and hold the button to move the time, not interested in the programs till i get to the time i want to look at, then i go slow again to see whats on.
    Forum Member
    Indeed, if i am at home in the evening, and want to see whats on that night, i just keep pressing the button to scroll along and see whats on (because if you kept it pressed, you don't have time to read anything as it goes past).

Then, if i want to see whats on the next day, I either press +24 and go from there, or press and hold the button to move the time, not interested in the programs till i get to the time i want to look at, then i go slow again to see whats on.

Exactly.:)
    Forum Member

What we are getting at is when you panned before, pressing the left/right buttons quickly the programmes panned with you so if you were looking for something or just surfing for stuff to watch, you could see the programmes come into view, into the centre and out the other side.

Now You you have to artificially pause for a second to let the programmes catch up and repeat. It's irritating as provides no benefit - as held down the left/right do this anyway, and always have.

It's irritating and an unnecessary change, s'all. It worked perfectly well before hand, and still does on our older HD Multi box upstairs.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Same goes for scrolling up/down through the channels pages, going a page at a time using the P+/P- button it is instant, holding down the up/down button there is a short delay when the programmes appear, especially if you're scrolling through 4-5 pages, but then I would have thought using the P+/P- button would be easier.
    Forum Member

The functionality has changed from read the words to see the effect

Press, press, press, press, press, press to pan to programmes on tonight

going to

Press, pause, catch-up, Press, pause, catch-up,Press, pause, catch-up,Press, pause, catch-up,Press, pause, catch-up to pan the programmes on screen. It;'s clunky and a just a bit silly and unnecessary.

Makes the "viewing of what's on" tonight slower
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,750
    Administrator
      Admin Notice: This thread is continued here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=59598879#post59598879
    This discussion has been closed.