Merlin Series 5 - discussion, speculation and spoilers (in tags!) (Part 2)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    moleymo wrote: »
    I think he blocks rather than unfollows people :) he wouldn't be following fans in the first place, personally if I was a celeb I would block anyone who had my face as their profile picture
    And I think that's what he's doing maybe but they haven't figured it out yet

Not me... you can make so much money if you have 100+ organic twitter followers. If I was famous I'd live on twitter tryin to get in the 500+ to 1M + range and live comfortably just off my not so casual product placement tweets. *Tweets Instagram pic link to sitting on a beach sipping on X Brand Bottled Water*

*Cashes check and goes shopping* :D:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    yafu2 wrote: »
    Not me... you can make so much money if you have 100+ organic twitter followers. If I was famous I'd live on twitter tryin to get in the 500+ to 1M + range and live comfortably just off my not so casual product placement tweets.

How much would people get for those?
    Forum Member
    How much would people get for those?
    It depends how many followers and how much of an impact/reach you get. I know someone with just over 100k followers gets between 3 and 5k on some not so casual tweets that look kinda casual. He does about 10 a month.

I know someone with over 40M likes on Facebook and 10M followers on twitter got 2 Million to tweet/post a picture of some brand of Coconut water once.

If you are social media savvy you can make a lot of money on twitter/facebook/instagram. If I was a celebrity please believe me those fans could be as annoying as they wanted as long as they fund the extensive Chanel and Louboutin collection that exists in my fantasies.
  • MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me... you can make so much money if you have 100+ organic twitter followers. If I was famous I'd live on twitter tryin to get in the 500+ to 1M + range and live comfortably just off my not so casual product placement tweets. *Tweets Instagram pic link to sitting on a beach sipping on X Brand Bottled Water*

*Cashes check and goes shopping* :D:cool:
    Agree with you there! If anything, the way things are set up now, Bradley James should be encouraging them to be his fans more so than ever!

But it might be that he really wants this to happen to give him an excuse?

If Bradley James really wanted to avoid a lot of problems he could. follow the BILL RUSSELL model.

For those that don't know him, he was a legendary American Basketball Player from the 50s-60s who never signed autographs. Instead anytime and anywhere except on game day; in private, he'd shake hands, pose for photographs, and talk with the fans but he'd never give an autograph. The reason he gave: Russell thought those were too impersonal because if anyone wanted they could contact the Boston Celtics and they'd send an autographed photo --- back then, the fans didn't have to do anything except give the front office a name and address--- he'd give them a card with the contact information and that was that.

But, Russ never scowled at the fans after work because he knew they were the lifeblood and support for him and his team. Without the fan support, Russ knew he'd be scrubbing floors for a living like his mom. Well, word got out. People knew what to expect and by the time he retired, Russ became one of the most beloved players in history. Now, compare that to his friend and on-court rival, Wilt Chamberlain who initially tried to please the fans but tired out?

Believe it or not, Michael Jordan adopted the Bill Russell model, modified and exploited to a whole new level... Jordan doesn't sign autographs much but ever notice how much of Jordan's name is anything? Now, compare that to Kobe or Shaq... :(

Anyway, with today's Internet and programs, it would be very easy. For instance, if a fan wanted a Bradley James Autographed photo, Bradley could set up a website with a counter on it and with the photo editing software available send the fan a custom "signed" photograph via JPEG in seconds. All that would be needed are pre-made signatures, to copy, superimpose, and paste on a photo of the fans' choice. And for a customized note to a fan, a set of "Bradley James" Letter fonts! With most photo editing software a slight change here and there in the font would make it look almost like an actual handwritten message! :D :eek:

The Dastards who come up with such things!

And, by having web counters and such, it'll give people including his agent bargaining power regarding his salary for the next project. :D

OR, if the fan weren't satisfied, Bradders could easily send along the link to his agency and the requirements to get a standard photo...

He should be happy, the fan should be happy, and more importantly Bradder's agents now have more leverage for negotiations making them more happy!
    Forum Member
    MikeAP001 wrote: »
    Agree with you there! If anything, the way things are set up now, Bradley James should be encouraging them to be his fans more so than ever!

If Bradley James really wanted to avoid a lot of problems he could. follow the BILL RUSSELL model.

For those that don't know him, he was a legendary American Basketball Player from the 50s-60s who never signed autographs. Instead anytime and anywhere except on game day; in private, he'd shake hands, pose for photographs, and talk with the fans but he'd never give an autograph. The reason he gave: Russell thought those were too impersonal because if anyone wanted they could contact the Boston Celtics and they'd send an autographed photo --- back then, the fans didn't have to do anything except give the front office a name and address--- he'd give them a card with the contact information and that was that.

But, Russ never scowled at the fans after work because he knew they were the lifeblood and support for him and his team. Without the fan support, Russ knew he'd be scrubbing floors for a living like his mom. Well, word got out. People knew what to expect and by the time he retired, Russ became one of the most beloved players in history. Now, compare that to his friend and on-court rival, Wilt Chamberlain who initially tried to please the fans but tired out?

Believe it or not, Michael Jordan adopted the Bill Russell model, modified and exploited to a whole new level... Jordan doesn't sign autographs much but ever notice how much of Jordan's name is anything? Now, compare that to Kobe or Shaq... :(

Anyway, with today's Internet and programs, it would be very easy. For instance, if a fan wanted a Bradley James Autographed photo, Bradley could set up a website with a counter on it and with the photo editing software available send the fan a custom "signed" photograph via JPEG in seconds. All that would be needed are pre-made signatures, to copy, superimpose, and paste on a photo of the fans' choice. And for a customized note to a fan, a set of "Bradley James" Letter fonts! With most photo editing software a slight change here and there in the font would make it look almost like an actual handwritten message! :D :eek:

And, by having web counters and such, it'll give people including his agent bargaining power regarding his salary for the next project. :D

OR, if the fan weren't satisfied, Bradders could easily send along the link to his agency and the requirements to get a standard photo...

He should be happy, the fan should be happy, and more importantly Bradder's agents now have more leverage for negotiations making them more happy!

That all sounds really cold
    I think ( although I could be totally wrong) that Eoins approach to twitter is the best he talks about random things the fans have something to tweet him because he's opened a discussion so instead of getting a million photos tweeted to him of milk ( yes a lot of bradleys followers did that!) he gets proper dialogue and interesting comments by treating his fans like proper people they return the favour also he knows how to get them to help him with his funding without them feeling exploited everyone's happy
    Forum Member

lol you're getting close to the territory of things I do for a living. There are a lot easier ways to accomplish the same thing. If a celebrity has a good team around him he doesn't really need to worry about any of it. He just gets told what to say in the midst of his regular tweeting activities, or it's done for him. He then quietly cashes the checks when they come in. His followers are none the wiser.

It's a dirty game... but it keeps my lights on.

Eoin did some cool stuff with his Cold thing. The whole Cold Con was smart. He'd have made a lot more in pledges on kickstarter than what he used though. He more than likely would have reached 6 figures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I've been wondering over the last few days what would have happened in the last four episodes of series 5 if there had been a series 6 already recommissioned? And what sort of story lines they would have had in series 6... I wonder if there would still have been Camlann, a magic reveal etc, or if that would have saved for the end of series 6? And would Merlin have at least got an entire series where he could be himself with Arthur knowing who he really was? Alas, I'm guessing not, and they would have dragged the same old story lines on and on and gone nowhere... but it's fun to speculate.
    Forum Member
    Lucia77 wrote: »
    I've been wondering over the last few days what would have happened in the last four episodes of series 5 if there had been a series 6 already recommissioned? And what sort of story lines they would have had in series 6... I wonder if there would still have been Camlann, a magic reveal etc, or if that would have saved for the end of series 6? And would Merlin have at least got an entire series where he could be himself with Arthur knowing who he really was? Alas, I'm guessing not, and they would have dragged the same old story lines on and on and gone nowhere... but it's fun to speculate.

I think they would have done a whole series with Arthur knowing about merlins magic, it seems he natural progression and at least an attempt at the golden age as promised
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I think they would have done a whole series with Arthur knowing about merlins magic, it seems he natural progression and at least an attempt at the golden age as promised

Ahhh, what could have been.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol you're getting close to the territory of things I do for a living. There are a lot easier ways to accomplish the same thing. If a celebrity has a good team around him he doesn't really need to worry about any of it. He just gets told what to say in the midst of his regular tweeting activities, or it's done for him. He then quietly cashes the checks when they come in. His followers are none the wiser.
    Yes, but I'm looking at this as a one man job--- the celeb--- maximizing income by cutting out the middle man... Ooops! :eek:

That would be... uhm... you. :o Aren't you glad they don't read these things? :p

But, that idea was not mine! Nor Russ'. Nope. That's a model supposedly dreamed up by Mr. Nice Guy, Jimmy Stewart. It was adopted later by Leonard Nimoy, Star Trek's Mr. Nice once he wrote "I AM SPOCK" and much, much later by Shatner once he found his inner Kirk.
    I think ( although I could be totally wrong) that Eoins approach to twitter is the best he talks about random things the fans have something to tweet him because he's opened a discussion so instead of getting a million photos tweeted to him of milk ( yes a lot of bradleys followers did that!) he gets proper dialogue and interesting comments by treating his fans like proper people they return the favour also he knows how to get them to help him with his funding without them feeling exploited everyone's happy
    Well, for one thing, it's not meant to be, though the results when analyzed might seem that way! :eek:

Still, I don't think anyone's being exploited using the Bill Russell model. The fans get what they want--- access to a star---, the star gets what he wants--- that odd combination of distance and familiarity between the star and the fan---, and if the fan wants more, that's possible but there's the need to go a few steps more by doing something very reasonable, in the end everyone's satisfied especially the agents and fans.

And who ever said Eoin Macken's way and Russ's were mutually exclusive? Bradders could still do the dialog and in fact, he should have some sort of chat session with them on line if not in person but he just needs to establish boundaries. AND he should have an online counter for anything he does online to show that he has an active fan base.

Besides, I saw the Cold Con plea of Eoin's and it's NOT that much different a model. Russ is saying to the fans, if you're going to the trouble of seeing me, then let's make it special by doing something that you can't get easily elsewhere and make it a memorable meeting for both of us. Eoin's openly saying he's fund raising and asking fans to support his project with money in exchange if they get certain extras.

Either way, ultimately the fans are satisfied with the outcome which I doubt happens much with Bradley James based on the final France filming where Bradders ignored the fans gathered as he exited for the last time. At least, he should have done what Rupert Young did and wave, showing some appreciation for the support over the years. But, no...

It is a far cry from Eoin Macken. And, when he's online, he shows he's applying what he learned in psychology! That's not to say, I don't think he's insincere because a mentally healthy person internalizes those things and uses it productively. It's just that's what I'm observing. And, that's why his conduct so far seems less offensive: he hasn't said anything that's not true.

As for Alex Vlahos, he's seems to be borrowing from the Macken method in terms of handling the fans as well.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the finale would've been Mordred turning and openly attacking Camelot with Morgana. Of course they fail (same as the series 3 and 4 finale! :D ) and series 6 would have been Mordred and Morgana trying to take down Camelot and Mordred's revenge. Hell, they might even have tried a redemption arc for Morgana if they had Mordred to take over as the main villain instead! I suspect series 6 would've then ended with Camlann still.

I also hope they might have given Gwen proper storyline and had done a magic reveal at least part way through series 6 (but I doubt the last one since they're leaving it to the last minute here!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    If the ending is sad, why? As you say, it's a family show, not a little kid's show. It has no obligation to mollycoddle and wrap the viewers in cotton wool.

I must be one of the very few who is very excited for the ending, moreso because it sounds like it's not taking the easy, "and they all lived happily" way out.

I think the real world has enough tragedy in it without Saturday night entertainment joining in.

People need to see good triumph; they already know from everyday life that evil wins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think claire and moleymo would be right. But S5 would end with the battle of Badon Hill. Arthur victorious but badly wounded.

What I'd like to see is Arthur ushering in a true Golden Age. Merlin overseeing those with magic. And in later Season, Merlin finding it more and more difficult to curb the abuses of magic until he and Arthur have a falling out.

But, what's likely is that S6 would be a series where Arthur's life needs to be saved, which sets the stage for a Morgana redemptive arc which won't conclude until the very end of the series, Mordred becoming a stronger leader and a powerful sorcerer to the point he usurps Morgana which cause him to go too far even for Morgana, Merlin getting banished and going into hiding trying to avoid the forces of Camelot and Mordred, Gaius dying, and the battle of Camlann taking place but Merlin, Gwen and Arthur have reconciled but it's too late. Finally, Morgana comes around to help. Arthur lives but does not awaken. And, Morgana takes him to be healed and to one day return as king.
    Forum Member
    Lowri wrote: »
    I did think that Alex chose his words unwisely, especially considering the dedication of the Merthur fan-girls. I do however completely agree with Alex that Merlin and Arthur have a platonic love, like many friends do (although it's more common amongst girls imo). I would hope that Bradley wouldn't be so childish as to respond in that way without completely understanding what Alex was getting at.

I don't think Alex was wrong for what he said. If anything I appreciate his honesty. I wish other members of the cast were as thoughtful and well meaning as he is.

Merlin and Arthur do have a platonic love relationship. I think its stronger on Merlin's part, to the point that he lives through Arthur. Psychologists would call it an unhealthy dependency. For Bradley to get mad about any statement regarding that would be a denial of the whole story line. Apparently, this is the image that Capps and Murphy wanted to portray. Alex merely stated the obvious.

I don't know if there is any validity to whether Bradley took that action or not. If he didn't, I feel sorry that people are accusing him of it. All you need is one person to imagine something and pass it along. Within a short amount of time, thousands will read or hear, thinking it came directly off Mt. Sinai.
    Forum Member
    ivyteainn wrote: »
    I don't think Alex was wrong for what he said. If anything I appreciate his honesty. I wish other members of the cast were as thoughtful and well meaning as he is.

Merlin and Arthur do have a platonic love relationship. I think its stronger on Merlin's part, to the point that he lives through Arthur. Psychologists would call it an unhealthy dependency. For Bradley to get mad about any statement regarding that would be a denial of the whole story line. Apparently, this is the image that Capps and Murphy wanted to portray. Alex merely stated the obvious.

I don't know if there is any validity to whether Bradley took that action or not. If he didn't, I feel sorry that people are accusing him of it. All you need is one person to imagine something and pass it along. Within a short amount of time, thousands will read or hear, thinking it came directly off Mt. Sinai.

That's true
    Forum Member
    Yes, but I'm looking at this as a one man job--- the celeb--- maximizing income by cutting out the middle man... Ooops! :eek:

That would be... uhm... you. :o Aren't you glad they don't read these things? :p

lol, nah I'm not concerned. I'm not a middle man.
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I think the finale would've been Mordred turning and openly attacking Camelot with Morgana. Of course they fail (same as the series 3 and 4 finale! :D ) and series 6 would have been Mordred and Morgana trying to take down Camelot and Mordred's revenge. Hell, they might even have tried a redemption arc for Morgana if they had Mordred to take over as the main villain instead! I suspect series 6 would've then ended with Camlann still.

I also hope they might have given Gwen proper storyline and had done a magic reveal at least part way through series 6 (but I doubt the last one since they're leaving it to the last minute here!)

Probably there would have been some big Camelot vs the Saxons battle. Modred might not have changed sides this season. More good years in Season 6; same ending as will happen this season. No creativity on the part of the producers and writers.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all = the end of our favourite series, and I'm peed off about them showing part two on Xmas Eve and the repeat on BBC3 on Boxing Day. I'm away over the period. Why couldn't they do the normal repeat on BBC next Friday when most people will be back home. BBC1 programme director - shame on you. They would not have done that to Dr Who!!!
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is so sad :(
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Arthur eats his words about Merlin not being brave by the end of this :(

Also, how did Gwaine manage to get out of going with Arthur so easily?
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn/Winter Saturday nights will never be the same again.:(
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did the crystals appear from? I went to the loo and when I came back, there they were.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope the film comes to fruition....
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonights episode encapsulates perfectly why this is such a frustrating show to watch - Merlin has no magic and Morgana inexplicably brings a wall of stone down in front of Merlin and wanders off instead of killing the only person that can stop her - ridiculous.....

It is possible to do sci-fi believably - this is not it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamsofired wrote: »
    Tonights episode encapsulates perfectly why this is such a frustrating show to watch - Merlin has no magic and Morgana inexplicably brings a wall of stone down in front of Merlin and wanders off instead of killing the only person that can stop her - ridiculous.....

It is possible to do sci-fi believably - this is not it.

It is ridiculous. They have made Morgana so powerful that she has to be completely incompetent (has Gwen in her grasp, turns her into a deer), they've also had to make Merlin so stupid/'good' that whenever he has her in his grasp he just leaves her.
This discussion has been closed.