Options

Does anyone else agree that Moffat has...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    made the Cybermen and Daleks geniunely scary again.

I mean that whole Cyberman scene in The Pandorica Opens was quite frightening. I thought it was frightening when you see the body come around the corner with no body and no head.

And I thought the stone Dalek was equally as scary especially when it said "Restoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

I never found any of these enemies scary before but I was quite unnerved by them in these past few episodes.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Cybermen yes, teletubby Daleks no. The Cybermen were in serious need of sinistering up and in TPO they got that. The Daleks are now very markettable for Christmas in lots of pretty colours!
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Daleks were best when they were sleek and tank-like. These ones are more like sports cars, or even people carriers.

I would still like to see casings get more complex and detailed, not less. I want them to stay looking all the same, by all means keep the colours to denote rank, but give the scientists extra sampling tools, the strategists pop-out holographic displays, that sort of things.

Basically, I want Transformer Daleks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*gives johnnysaucepn a Paddington Bear Stare*

:mad:
  • Options
    brodybrody Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    The Daleks were best when they were sleek and tank-like. These ones are more like sports cars, or even people carriers.

I would still like to see casings get more complex and detailed, not less. I want them to stay looking all the same, by all means keep the colours to denote rank, but give the scientists extra sampling tools, the strategists pop-out holographic displays, that sort of things.

It looks like they had planned to do something along those lines as this concept art shows, but didn't get around to using the idea this series. Maybe next year hopefully?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    They give more impact when they are on their own it seems, when there is an army of them its just not the same.

Law of inverse ninjas, perhaps?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When were tanks ever sleek?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do my best to avoid spoilers and rumours, but I had heard that this series would show us the "original" cybermen; what happened to them?

The ones shown this series are clearly all originally from the other dimension; so where are the cybermen of "our" universe? Aren't they a bit hacked off that there's a bunch of imposters doing the rounds?
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I loved the Cyberman head doing the Aliens Facehugger impression on Amy. :D

reminded me of "the thing" with all the grasping tendrils.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    When were tanks ever sleek?

:D

Sleek and tank-like, not sleek like tanks!
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    partridge wrote: »
    I do my best to avoid spoilers and rumours, but I had heard that this series would show us the "original" cybermen; what happened to them?

The ones shown this series are clearly all originally from the other dimension; so where are the cybermen of "our" universe? Aren't they a bit hacked off that there's a bunch of imposters doing the rounds?

Judging by the Adventure Games, our Cybermen are now quite similar to the Cybus ones (with the exception of the logo on the chest.) It is unclear which of the two was in TPO as it was never specified. On the one hand, I'd say Telosian, because of the skull, but I would also say Parallel because of the logo.

But in the new Adventure Game, our Cybermen are the main villain :)
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    reminded me of "the thing" with all the grasping tendrils.

Aye. And the skull popping out of the Cyberman's head was a
    nice touch, being as scary as a PG-show like DW can get.
  • Options
    RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cybermen yes, Dalek's no.
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    If Mr Moff and the people in charge at the beeb have taken account of the feedback about the dayglo Daleks (i.e. they're the DW equivalent of Jar Jar Binks), there's every chance that in the next series they can create a new strain of original daleks (preferably the Churchill ones, they looked great), and have these wipe out the S5 ones... a dalek civil war would be cool :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    sheff71 wrote: »
    ... a dalek civil war would be cool :D
    Sort of been done (Remembrance of the Daleks) with renegade vs. imperial daleks; was more an ethnocide though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    another vote for cybermen yes scariest most effective use of cybermen ever
    daleks awful almost as bad as thing with alexi sale ww2 daleks good though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must be one of the very few people that thinks the new Dalek's look alright... When both versions were on the screen in Victory, I thought the older version looked a bit tired in comparison
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be one of the very few people that thinks the new Dalek's look alright... When both versions were on the screen in Victory, I thought the older version looked a bit tired in comparison

I too think they look very vibrant and still remarkably threatening! like the 70's Daleks!
    we've only had 1 episode with them on so i'm not judgeing on that alone, and the stone Dalek was so effective! i was really creped out by it, i want a bigger Dalek storyline in series for sure and another Cyberman one now they're scary again! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think they look very vibrant and still remarkably threatening! like the 70's Daleks!

Every time the new ones are on screen I expect someone to walk up to them, press a button and grab a coke. :D

That they make my son snigger is an indication of how terrifying they are.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    sheff71 wrote: »
    If Mr Moff and the people in charge at the beeb have taken account of the feedback about the dayglo Daleks (i.e. they're the DW equivalent of Jar Jar Binks), there's every chance that in the next series they can create a new strain of original daleks (preferably the Churchill ones, they looked great), and have these wipe out the S5 ones... a dalek civil war would be cool :D

Don't think there's much chance of that happening. S.M seems determined to wipe out any remaining RTD influences and I can't see the Beeb getting rid of the new design Daleks because of budget restraints (even though they must have cost at least 2/6 each - thats 12 1/2p in old money) and they are only just reaching the toyshops !
    What I would like is for S.M. to explain his reasoning behind the change if only to satisfy the fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cybermen, yes.
    Daleks...no. Just no. I was never exactly terrified by the RTD daleks, but these day-glo power ranger Daleks are just ridiculous. I like the design (the "stone" Dalek in the Big Bang was geniunely creepy) it's just the colours detract seriously from any sense of threat!
    I'm hoping these will be like "main" Daleks and we'll get "grunt" daleks who aren't brightly coloured - same as there were different coloured Daleks before, but the majority were plain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cyberman was scary without any doubt in my mind, simply because when you thought it was dead (the head and arm immobile, then springing to life) it came back more potent.

The Daleks could probably be scarier by toning the colours down, maybe the next time they're seen they're a bit war-torn and psycho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    What I would like is for S.M. to explain his reasoning behind the change if only to satisfy the fans.

Gatiss explained it in the VotD Confidential. They just wanted to make a nod to the film Daleks. Which is (as they do say on the internet) WORST REASON EVER

The design of RTD Daleks works. They look rugged and hard and interesting. Other than the eye stork the new ones are low on detail and look plastic. Doubt we wil see them changed any time soon though :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I thought the Cyberman scene was awesome. When that Cyber-head was zoomed in on (after the 'Underhenge' was opened) and it moved, I jumped :o Something Doctor Who has never done to me before. I do agree that, like the daleks, when there is just one of them, the threat seems much more real and engaging.

I agree, when compared to the old daleks, the new ones (for me) looked much more dangerous. However, I think if the new design stayed the same but the colours were darker and more metallic looking then they would be even better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
  • Options
    jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    The colours of the new Daleks don't bother me so much, I'll wait to a full episode of them but it's the hunch the I hate. No idea why it bothers me so much but it's awful