Options

Should Lee have gone instead of Lucinda?

13»

Comments

• Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    I didn't like the way they dismissed Lee lying on his CV and justified it by saying 'everyone has done it'. I certainly haven't lied on my CV.

Should we put Joan Collins in jail for that? :D

And the spelling errors seemed mind boggling, in this day and age of spell checks.

It seems Lucinda is not the only one unable to switch on a PC.

They then dismiss Lucinda, despite being an excellent manager, because she would 'probably drive sir alan crazy'. They'd never say that about a male candidate. I think there were previous agendas going on really.

Lucinda was not undervalued because she was female, but because by her own admission on camera she was "not interested in money". SAS is interested in money ma'am, the first thing, the last thing, the only thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    It was nothing to do with her being a female.It was everything to do with her inability to be told what to do, to conform in with anyone-and her self-admitted manipulation

Her beret and nice voice and pretty face have a lot of people fooled.I think it's interesting that whilst a lot of the candidates have been nice about each other since coming out I havent heard anyone be positive about Lucinda
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Apart from (off the top of my head) Raef and Sara. And even Jenny C on YF! admitted that she behaved badly towards Lucinda.
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lying is probably the most dishonest of all things you can do. It amazes me that this was allowed to happen and they shrugged it off. In a way they made it look like it wasn't a big issue to lie. WELL NICE WAY TO CONDONE IT WHEN I NEXT WRITE MY CV!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Lying is probably the most dishonest of all things you can do. It amazes me that this was allowed to happen and they shrugged it off. In a way they made it look like it wasn't a big issue to lie. WELL NICE WAY TO CONDONE IT WHEN I NEXT WRITE MY CV!
    Lee's said this about it:

'I didn't actually lie. If the eagle eyes of you guys actually looked at what the camera showed, I actually stated I hadn't completed the course. It wasn't a lie, it was a complete communication breakdown between myself and the boardroom.'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

'I didn't actually lie. If the eagle eyes of you guys actually looked at what the camera showed, I actually stated I hadn't completed the course. It wasn't a lie, it was a complete communication breakdown between myself and the boardroom.'

Well he did lie , as when he was asked about it he said he was there for 2 years , which was a lie. :confused:
  • Options
    KirkfnwKirkfnw Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But bullshitting is are all part of Sales, so I guess this guy is going to go far.

I personally hate people that bullshit and side-step and refuse to aknowledge they have made a mistake. That's why I would not fit in with the marketing environment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the way they dismissed Lee lying on his CV and justified it by saying 'everyone has done it'. I certainly haven't lied on my CV. And the spelling errors seemed mind boggling, in this day and age of spell checks.

They then dismiss Lucinda, despite being an excellent manager, because she would 'probably drive sir alan crazy'. They'd never say that about a male candidate. I think there were previous agendas going on really.

Both of Lee's mistakes may be to Lee's advantage now. He knows he really has to impress SAS. I think he would have been better teamed with Helene though, because she's more deadpan as a foil for him. Also, having let him stay on, SAS is obviously more than impressed with Lee's other qualities to allow the lie to go another week. It may still influence him though. As far as the possible (likely) dyslexia goes, at least he's been "honest" about that, and not tried to cover it up by getting it proof read/go through spell checker/professionally constructed. I think that may work in his favour as well.

My colleague thinks Alex will win. I think Claire might.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I wouldn't have guessed that they would check whether he stayed at the course for 2 years or not!! If he claimed that he has a qualification from the university, I would have probably checked. But he said he dropped after two years.
    They will have checked to make sure there weren't any gaps. He might have spent 18 months in prison, for example. It's not just about qualifications.
    If you mean that he should have confessed before the interviewer bring it up then I disagree.
    He should have come clean as soon as the interviewer mentioned it.
    a- Michael thinks that being Jewish is important to SAS and he is willing to get an advantage based on it rather on his achievements. In other words, Michael thinks it is OK to use this logic in business.
    For me it's a bit like claiming you like football when you've only been to a couple of live matches. It's a soft lie rather than a hard lie. Yes, it's done to make a connection with the employer but it's OK to want to make a connection with the employer. It would be wrong to out-and-out lie to do that, but mentioning you are half-Jewish is fine, and just saying Jewish is a stretch but we are dealing here with shades of grey. Putting "good" in front of it, well, he think he's a good boy, and he's (half) Jewish, so it's not really right to put it all together but it's not a black-and-white lie, either.

Where-as Lee's was black-and-white. Nobody can really pretend 20 months is the same as 4 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This bothers me even more. He's still not acknowledging he did anything wrong, and still trying to wriggle out of it. It wasn't a mistake or a miscommunication. He wanted us to believe he spent 20 months at a place when he knew the truth was only 4 months. He communicated exactly what he wanted to. It just wasn't true.

The edit made it clear he hadn't completed the course; that's not at issue.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    This bothers me even more. He's still not acknowledging he did anything wrong, and still trying to wriggle out of it. It wasn't a mistake or a miscommunication. He wanted us to believe he spent 20 months at a place when he knew the truth was only 4 months. He communicated exactly what he wanted to. It just wasn't true.

The edit made it clear he hadn't completed the course; that's not at issue.

I take it as he put on his CV that his employee sent on a course that should have lasted 2 years but he dropped the course after 4 months - he was still working and thats why there are no gaps on his CV - he didn't actually claim to have a specific qualification
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member

The plot thickens.
    As the nation has divided on this issue, it really is worthwhile to make this paragraph of Lee's CV public.

Did he write for instance:
    Course Duration : 2 years
    "I hadn't completed the course."

"I hadn't completed the course" means he did not stay for 2 years.
    And how many years ago was this event? Was it 10 years ago, 1998? Do you remember what you were doing in 1998?
    "it was a complete communication breakdown between myself and the boardroom."

It would not be the first time Lee had communication problems. He made a horlicks presenting the greeting card, and nearly conked out when presenting the perfume.

It would serve the public interest to show one paragraph of his CV, if only to be completely fair, and to reduce the continuing arguments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What he wrote on his CV was:
    1996 - 1998 Thames Valley University (address)
    HCIMA - Not Completed
    What he told the interviewer was, "I was there for two years. I was actually doing my HCIMA for that period of time." Which is pretty unambiguous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee now seems to have taken the path (or been advised to) of using what he did as an example of what not to do when filling in application forms and compiling CVs.

I suppose on the one hand it could be seen that someone who has falsified his CV and then not come clean about it in the interview has done well but on the other hand he has received such flak for it and made to feel so obviously uncomfortable in front of millions, that it can also be seen as obviously the wrong thing to do and certainly not as something to encouraged.
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    Lee now seems to have taken the path (or been advised to) of using what he did as an example of what not to do when filling in application forms and compiling CVs.

I suppose on the one hand it could be seen that someone who has falsified his CV and then not come clean about it in the interview has done well but on the other hand he has received such flak for it and made to feel so obviously uncomfortable in front of millions, that it can also be seen as obviously the wrong thing to do and certainly not as something to encouraged.

I think it will make others more aware how easy it is to have a mistruth included on their CV found out and it will stop many from doing the same. Hopefully we can all learn from Lee's very public mistake